Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 397Likes

post #961 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkMonk View Post
I don't really know how to do reviews. All I can say is that it looks amazing to me, the wife and kids and all of our guests. It's in a fully light controlled room and even at 180 inches, it's stunning (now that I got the 4k worked out). It is many many times better than my previous LG PF1000U ust and I really wonder how it would be with Vincent Teoh's settings. I bought it before I saw his review so missed out on getting the deal with his settings. If anyone can give a review of how his settings are, and if they do indeed make the picture better, I wonder if he'd sell it.

One thing to note, and it just may be that I screwed up, but I bought some really expensive ALR paint and while I was setting it up, I painted a portion of the wall to see the difference and for some reason, the ALR screen paint seemed to just make the whites darker. So my wife went over it painting it white and it is much better. I don't know if it's because there's very little to no light in the room or what. Maybe I painted it on wrong? Not sure. What's your experience with ALR paint/screens? I can't imagine it getting better than it is but I want to get the best I can, so.
Hi. If I understand correctly, you are able to project the image on a 180-in diagonal screen?
The reason I ask is because the projector is rated for up to 150-in screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
yeah, that's of course the 5 dollar question...

quite honesty, his example of improved image quality due his calibration settings shown in the youtube video didn't do much for me, in fact to me eyes the image looks considerably worse, especially the hues, of course maybe it's my monitor...
^5 man.. I feel the same.. I think the image before looks more natural.. Haha..
post #963 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n View Post
Hi. If I understand correctly, you are able to project the image on a 180-in diagonal screen?

That's just a recommendation man by the manufacturer but there is nothing stopping u from projecting bigger as long as u have the space under controlled lighting..

Imagine they advertise upto 1000" and u complain the image looks dark and pixelated.. Haha
oni222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The 150 inch with speakers behind. I painted a portion of my wall with ALR screen paint and it seemed to mess with the whites. I'm not sure if I messed up or what but the projector is much better on white. The brightness makes the blacks look black to us. But I as I have already dropped the money on the paint, I want to paint a board with it and stick it up to compare one final time, but I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference.

If you have full light control like I do, I don't see the need for an ALR screen. That's just my 2 cents.
Did u get your paint from this guy? LUMINOUS 4K Screen Paint?

Personally I think screen paint only changes the color, will make it look better definitely when lights out but I am offended when people say it's ALR..

If u look at ALR screen technics, the screen is never flat.. There is always some material there to absorb/block and reflect light certain directions.. It doesn't make sense for paints.. The surface is still flat after painting and the paint would never know which light source is from the projector and which light source is from the ambient.. Right?
Nihar P likes this.
post #965 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
For some reason I am having trouble getting a square screen, it seems to go in at the bottom. I have no keystoning on.

Did you have any trouble getting a square picture?

I have no experience with ALR paint or screens.
Hey Ben, I unmounted my projector from the ceiling.. My floor is not flat and so is my wall.. This is the best I can get without keystone correction..
post #966 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjzsakae View Post
That's just a recommendation man by the manufacturer but there is nothing stopping u from projecting bigger as long as u have the space under controlled lighting..

Imagine they advertise upto 1000" and u complain the image looks dark and pixelated.. Haha
i don't think it's just a recommendation, ust projectors have curved mirrors which can cause image bowing / fisheye at an excessive distance...
post #967 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
According to everyone I asked who has a lenticular alr screen, they say the black levels and contrast are superior in a dark room. Also they say the calibration settings will be different, and comparing 2 different type of screens with the same settings and conditions is not fair.
i agree, probably not fair to compare a lenticular alr screen with a white screen using the same projector settings, then again isn't that what the alr manufacturers and alr owners do in youtube (and other) vids when showing the strengths of lenticular screens? you know, tape several different swatches on a screen for comparison and declare a winner?

whatever the case, very encouraging to hear that you've been told black levels and contrast are superior in dark rooms because i have a lenticular screen on the way, unfortunately that's not been the case when i've seen them in person in the past, just hoping the pj's weren't optimally adjusted for the screen, have you ever seen one in person?
oni222 likes this.
post #968 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
i don't think it's just a recommendation, ust projectors have curved mirrors which can cause image bowing / fisheye at an excessive distance...

Yeah. Maybe, but I don't think anyone would go as big as that.. Unless your name is Linus..

He definately goes far far beyond the recommendation..
oni222 likes this.
post #969 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
https://youtu.be/uGSfliYZO-Q

Yeah. Maybe, but I don't think anyone would go as big as that.. Unless your name is Linus..

Oh dear, I love this boy.
oni222 likes this.
post #970 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
i agree, probably not fair to compare a lenticular alr screen with a white screen using the same projector settings, then again isn't that what the alr manufacturers and alr owners do in youtube (and other) vids when showing the strengths of lenticular screens? you know, tape several different swatches on a screen for comparison and declare a winner?

whatever the case, very encouraging to hear that you've been told black levels and contrast are superior in dark rooms because i have a lenticular screen on the way, unfortunately that's not been the case when i've seen them in person in the past, just hoping the pj's weren't optimally adjusted for the screen, have you ever seen one in person?
Here is a review of the Xiaomi 4K laser projector on ALR PET Crystal screen. The reviewer also swears that the image quality is outstanding with a PET ALR screen even in the dark in comparison to a white background. I personally have not seen one yet in the dark, but that will change soon.

post #971 of 1552 Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
To be honest the projector performs in my opinion really quite well on just a white background. it does however perform better on the ALR screen but you have to weigh up if the extra 20% performance increase is worth the expense.
post #972 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
Here is a review of the Xiaomi 4K laser projector on ALR PET Crystal screen. The reviewer also swears that the image quality is outstanding with a PET ALR screen even in the dark in comparison to a white background. I personally have not seen one yet in the dark, but that will change soon.
yep, no shortage of vids showing the merits of lenticular alr screens, prob is it's pretty much impossible to find a side-by-side comparison to a white screen in a completely dark room... in the case of hdr, brightness, color saturation and pop is a must for best hdr results (great hdr is tough to get out of any projector, they simply can't compete with hdr tvs), so the last thing you want is a screen that could dim brightness and pop, which alr screens can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel
To be honest the projector performs in my opinion really quite well on just a white background. it does however perform better on the ALR screen but you have to weigh up if the extra 20% performance increase is worth the expense.
if you watch in ambient light a lot then i would say the "increased performance" is a heck of a lot more than 20%... a ust on a white screen can look outstanding in perfectly dark rooms, but like all other projectors they become very washed out in ambient light... in fact that's the only reason i purchased a lenticular alr screen (should be here by the end of next week), because my use will often include ambient light viewing... if 80%-90%+ of my viewing was going to be in a completely dark room, i wouldn't opt for any alr screen over a white screen.
post #973 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
https://youtu.be/uGSfliYZO-Q

that was the first 4k hdr projector i purchased, lived with it a couple of weeks but in the end returned it, for several reasons.... i will say tho, it was considerably brighter than the xiaomi mijia, in fact i'm still a bit surprised that the xiaomi isn't brighter....

that said, i just rooted my mijia, pretty much all of the chinese stuff has been removed, and the stock google tv launcher (think nvidia shield) has replaced the launcher that came with the projector... anyway the root gives you access to the projector's "engineering menu", which appears to be the projector's service menu, where you can increase brightest (much more than the few settings in the standard menu) plus re-set a host of other stock parameters, gonna play with these a bit...
oni222 likes this.
post #974 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
that was the first 4k hdr projector i purchased, lived with it a couple of weeks but in the end returned it, for several reasons.... i will say tho, it was considerably brighter than the xiaomi mijia, in fact i'm still a bit surprised that the xiaomi isn't brighter....
Yeah.. I saw the xda root guide.. Going to try it out myself once I mount the new screen and projector mount..

I still can't believe all those expensive projectors don't have a hdmi arc port.. Ridiculous..
post #975 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah.. I saw the xda root guide.. Going to try it out myself once I mount the new screen and projector mount..

I still can't believe all those expensive projectors don't have a hdmi arc port.. Ridiculous..
here's a poor quality vid i just made that shows what the 4k mijia looks like after root, with google apps/services installed, i'm projecting on my office wall with all of the office lights tuned on, i.e. it's a bright room, so i wasn't going for pj performance in this vid (altho the image looks a heck of lot better in person!), just wanted to show what it looks like with root.

that said, one thing that's disappointing is that it appears that this projector pj doesn't support 4k hdr internally, so the gui is1080p max and if you try to stream youtube the max quality setting that's available is 1080p... not sure what this is all about given that the android version installed on this pj (6.0.1 marshmallow) which i believe should support 4k hdr app streaming?

oni222 likes this.
post #976 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

here's a poor quality vid i just made that shows what the 4k mijia looks like after root, with google apps/services installed, i'm projecting on my office wall with all of the office lights tuned on, i.e. it's a bright room, so i wasn't going for pj performance in this vid (altho the image looks a heck of lot better in person!), just wanted to show what it looks like with root.

that said, one thing that's disappointing is that it appears that this projector pj doesn't support 4k hdr internally, so the gui is1080p max and if you try to stream youtube the max quality setting that's available is 1080p... not sure what this is all about given that the android version installed on this pj (6.0.1 marshmallow) which i believe should support 4k hdr app streaming?

Were you able to increase the brightness? How'd it look?
post #977 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Oh man.. .. 4K YouTube is the only thing I am looking forward to.. Is there a 4K YouTube apk available that we can install? Haha.. Force it to stream 4k!
post #978 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Were you able to increase the brightness? How'd it look?
won't be playing around with any of the service menu settings until my screen arrives and i've mounted the pj... right now the projector is just on the floor in my office, with the image cast on a wall, so i can easily root it and check out / test different apps and options for now.

here are the service menu settings, including the settings currently used by spocky12 [xxx] who created the root tutorial and app for tweaking the projector, his work can be found at the xda forum:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...tools-t3851755

Projector information
Brightness [1541]
DLP vendor name [APPO]
Production Week [1812]
Contrast ratio [3828]
Brightness Uniformity [940]
Serial Number
Color coordinates [r:860 g:860 b:860 x:283 y:302]

Solid color (android)
displays a solid color (using android system)

Solid color (projector)
Displays a solid color (native)

Other image test (android)
Ddisplays a gradient (using android system)

Other image test (projector)
Displays a gradient (native)

Color wheel delay
When incorrectly set, this can lead to posterization issues (gradients become unnatural and tend to display large uniform areas) [490]

Save color wheel delay to Android

Image mode : change the screen light intensity
Standard
Highlight
Energy saving

Temperature monitoring
Ambient temperature [31]
Color wheel [52]
Laser temperature channel 1 [60]
Laser temperature channel 2 [61]

Model name [MiProjA1]

Human body induction

Enables/disables IR sensor that disable image when coming close to the laser

Save information to projector

DLP version
[major:1, minor:2, patch:5]

3D
(when modified, need to restart to take effect) -> enable/disable 3d support
post #979 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Isn't Black Diamond for long throw? I think it will look awful man.. If it works, SI would have advertised it for UST and not created a totally new screen type.. Haha..

I didn't think about that, I have the traditional long throw screen, BUT when I was purchasing mine they did have ones for short throws. They were pairing it with the ever so sexy, Sony VPL-GTZ1. I believe they have some youtube videos with it.

US ARMY: 11C4P08 (RET)
post #980 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n View Post
Yep. At 180 inches, the picture still looks pretty god dang good. I'm not sure about going any bigger than that though.
jeff9n likes this.
post #981 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Did u get your paint from this guy? LUMINOUS 4K Screen Paint?

Personally I think screen paint only changes the color, will make it look better definitely when lights out but I am offended when people say it's ALR..

If u look at ALR screen technics, the screen is never flat.. There is always some material there to absorb/block and reflect light certain directions.. It doesn't make sense for paints.. The surface is still flat after painting and the paint would never know which light source is from the projector and which light source is from the ambient.. Right?
Yes, I did get his paint and now that you say this, that makes a lot of sense. I'm very satisfied with the image on a white wall with full light control but I want to get the most out of it, so which screen would you suggest and what's the largest size available?

Thank you!
post #982 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yep. At 180 inches, the picture still looks pretty god dang good. I'm not sure about going any bigger than that though.
After some adult beverages, everything looks dang good.

Now I plan to build a larger projector screen using Carl White material. Thank you for the info!
post #983 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did get his paint and now that you say this, that makes a lot of sense. I'm very satisfied with the image on a white wall with full light control but I want to get the most out of it, so which screen would you suggest and what's the largest size available?

Thank you!
I am new to all these man.. Haha.. Not sure if u want to take advise from me..

Based on what I read online, it make sense to get a white screen if you don't need ALR and have a light controlled room.. A light grey screen if u want deeper blacks.. Anything with gain 1.0 or higher should be considered as well since u are going bigger than the recommended screen size.. You wouldn't want to lose light from the projector on the screen material you are using.. You just need a flat screen.. Maybe u can check out Carl White material like what Jeff mentioned.. Don't blame me though, I am a logical person who derive thoughts by common sense..

The screen paint guy sounds like a sc"m.. Initially I was going to buy from him as well until I do more research and the more it doesn't make sense.. I am surprise no one flagged him out, it's not cheap.. He gives screen paint a bad name..
post #984 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh man.. .. 4K YouTube is the only thing I am looking forward to.. Is there a 4K YouTube apk available that we can install? Haha.. Force it to stream 4k!
i just posted about this at xda:

-----------------------------

ok, so after successfully rooting my 4k (batman) and playing around with a bunch of different settings and app apks, it appears that the gui can't be upscaled to 4k and that none of the local streaming apps (youtube for example) from within the projector, i.e. native / internal apps, can stream at anything higher than 1080p.

so my question is, was this the case before rooting? i ask because i didn't bother to see if i could stream from the chinese stock gui at 4k / hdr before i rooted my projector... of course i can't read chinese so i couldn't install youtube or netflix before rooting and test it, but the chinese streaming video apps i did try all seemed to be conspicuously 1080p at best, i.e. nothing was upscaled to 4k as far as i could tell.

if that's the case it begs the question: why include a tv launcher interface at all on a 4k hdr projector if it can't be displayed at 4k, or used to stream 4k hdr? why not just go the typical projector route and have a gui that just features hdmi selection and projector / image settings, why waste processing power on a tv launcher and apps that won't display at 4k?

anyway, this is very disappointing, and i can't imagine why any 4k (batman) owner would even want to bother with the projector's gui, rooted or otherwise, when they can get 4k / hdr streaming from external sources via the hdmi input(s).

post #985 of 1552 Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:

ok, so after successfully rooting my 4k (batman) and playing around with a bunch of different settings and app apks, it appears that the gui can't be upscaled to 4k and that none of the local streaming apps (youtube for example) from within the projector, i.e. native / internal apps, can stream at anything higher than 1080p.

so my question is, was this the case before rooting? i ask because i didn't bother to see if i could stream from the chinese stock gui at 4k / hdr before i rooted my projector... of course i can't read chinese so i couldn't install youtube or netflix before rooting and test it, but the chinese streaming video apps i did try all seemed to be conspicuously 1080p at best, i.e. nothing was upscaled to 4k as far as i could tell.

if that's the case it begs the question: why include a tv launcher interface at all on a 4k hdr projector if it can't be displayed at 4k, or used to stream 4k hdr? why not just go the typical projector route and have a gui that just features hdmi selection and projector / image settings, why waste processing power on a tv launcher and apps that won't display at 4k?

anyway, this is very disappointing, and i can't imagine why any 4k (batman) owner would even want to bother with the projector's gui, rooted or otherwise, when they can get 4k / hdr streaming from external sources via the hdmi input(s).

Interesting feedback and today i have been looking at the possibility of rooting mine but i genuinely have no reason to do so as i use Apple TV 4K as my media server and won't be uploading any apps to the PJ so i think with that and your comments in mind i will probably leave it as is for now at least
post #986 of 1552 Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:

Haha.. According to earlier post in this thread, YouTube is in 1080p before root.. YouTube is not suppose to be there anyway.. Our sets are for China.. No Google support.. Expected.. Anything extra is a bonus.. When global verison is available, I believe 4k YouTube will be built in by then.. Guess I will stick to my chrome cast ultra for now till the next release of the Nvidia Shield TV..

People who root their projectors are usually those people who can't stand the Chinese home screens with all those BS they can't use.. Haha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel View Post
Interesting feedback and today i have been looking at the possibility of rooting mine but i genuinely have no reason to do so as i use Apple TV 4K as my media server and won't be uploading any apps to the PJ so i think with that and your comments in mind i will probably leave it as is for now at least
I won't be rooting as well.. ^5
post #987 of 1552 Old 07-01-2019, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjzsakae
People who root their projectors are usually those people who can't stand the Chinese home screens with all those BS they can't use.. Haha..
well by rooting you gain access to the service menu which opens up many more image settings than the very basic stock settings... with root you can also enable adb debugging which can allow you to do many things, including backing up your system.

anyway, i think you may have missed the point of my post - it strikes me as odd that a 4k hdr projector would have a gui tv launcher pre-installed that wasn't capable of taking advantage of the projector's 4k hdr capabilities, why not just provide a typical projector interface as opposed to loading a bunch system hungry stuff at boot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel
not sure if you've taken the time to scroll through the pre-installed stock chinese gui, but if you haven't it's an absolute monster of a gui that continues for pages and pages and pages, and it's loaded with a ton of ads bloatware.

personally i get why folks would not want to root their pj, if i hadn't rooted many other devices in the past i probably wouldn't have bothered... however in the case of the mijia 4k projector you don't have to root it in order to get rid of the chinese gui and bloatware, and install a different (simple) launcher, you just have to install the projector tool apk in the xda thread, if you get bored you should give it a try (assuming you're comfortable doing this sort of stuff).
post #988 of 1552 Old 07-01-2019, 02:45 AM

you're right it has so much bloatware and maybe nice to get rid of some but that said i have mine set up so it automatically defaults to the hdmi with xbox attached to it so when my son turns PJ and xbox on it is there for him so i miss the chineese screen altogether. the only time i see it is if i need to select the apple tv source
post #989 of 1552 Old 07-01-2019, 03:25 AM

I am not into hdr, 3d etc.. I just need 4k and a big screen.. That's it.. I will root when they get 4k YouTube is available..
post #990 of 1552 Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel View Post
you're right it has so much bloatware and maybe nice to get rid of some but that said i have mine set up so it automatically defaults to the hdmi with xbox attached to it so when my son turns PJ and xbox on it is there for him so i miss the chineese screen altogether. the only time i see it is if i need to select the apple tv source
and that's exactly what i'm planning to do when i finish setting everything up, boot right into hdmi-1 and bypass the pj's gui completely, but as i wait for my screen to arrive and now that my pj isn't mounted yet, i thought i would get to know the pj a bit in terms of its software and tweaking capabilities.

plus, a short while ago i decided to give the zidoo box a try (ended up not being for me) but the experience led me down the minimalist os path which folks love about the zidoo (it doesn't load a google-like hungry gui / launcher that requires a bunch of stuff to run in the background, stuff that needs to be constantly, automatically updated), so i thought i would see if i could do something similar with the pj's gui, make it as lean and mean as possible.

hey, btw, i still haven't hooked up hdmi sources to the pj yet, still finalizing a few things on my htpc, but i was wondering about this "set the projector's hdmi input to 2.0" i keep hearing about, something about the using "the three little dots" iirc, can you elaborate a bit on this, i.e. where this setting is located, etc.? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page