Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 396Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjzsakae View Post
I am not into hdr, 3d etc.. I just need 4k and a big screen.. That's it.. I will root when they get 4k YouTube is available..
yeah, i've never been into 3d, at the theater or at home, so whatever quirks this pj has with 3d doesn't matter to me in the least... but why root "when they get 4k youtube"? why not just use an external source? also, how can you not be into hdr? it absolutely rocks if done right!
aeneas01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 04:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
yeah, i've never been into 3d, at the theater or at home, so whatever quirks this pj has with 3d doesn't matter to me in the least... but why root "when they get 4k youtube"? why not just use an external source? also, how can you not be into hdr? it absolutely rocks if done right!
I don't want my bedroom to look messy with cables and TV boxes everywhere.. I am using Chromecast ultra now for 4k YouTube.. Very sleak device.. If they can get YouTube 4k to work, I can sell the chromecast and just have 1 device that fulfill all my needs.. I even sold my Samsung K950 soundbar and bought a Wemax S1 Subwoofer to keep things simple.. My room is small.. I don't need big sound, I just want big 4k screen.. Haha
Mjzsakae is offline  
post #993 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
and that's exactly what i'm planning to do when i finish setting everything up, boot right into hdmi-1 and bypass the pj's gui completely, but as i wait for my screen to arrive and now that my pj isn't mounted yet, i thought i would get to know the pj a bit in terms of its software and tweaking capabilities.

plus, a short while ago i decided to give the zidoo box a try (ended up not being for me) but the experience led me down the minimalist os path which folks love about the zidoo (it doesn't load a google-like hungry gui / launcher that requires a bunch of stuff to run in the background, stuff that needs to be constantly, automatically updated), so i thought i would see if i could do something similar with the pj's gui, make it as lean and mean as possible.

hey, btw, i still haven't hooked up hdmi sources to the pj yet, still finalizing a few things on my htpc, but i was wondering about this "set the projector's hdmi input to 2.0" i keep hearing about, something about the using "the three little dots" iirc, can you elaborate a bit on this, i.e. where this setting is located, etc.? thanks!
Once you hook up an external source to one of your inputs, once you switch to it, you will want to hit the button on the remote with the 3 lines. It will bring up a menu. Go to display HDMI and set HDMI 2.0 to ON. It only needs done once unless you switch input devices in the future.
BenPlace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #994 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 05:57 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Update
I got my new Silver Tickets screen yesterday. I got it all framed out with the help of my brother, put the screen on the frame and attached the 56 individual springs (A huge pain in the butt)
Stood up my screen and realized it was the wrong one! I meant to order the 120 inch and instead got the 135 inch. I was able to make it fit (There was no way I was taking that thing back apart) But the projector screen will not fill out the frame because I cannot raise the screen high enough. I did measure and was able to get it to 127inches.
The screen now and the projector is AMAZING. I watched Pet Sematary in 4k last night and it looked great.
I will get some videos put together tonight. Let me know if any of you want to see something specific or need a question answered.
Thanks!
drdoom2k likes this.
BenPlace is offline  
post #995 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So I am in a pitch black room (Flat black paint on every wall including ceilings, zero light) that I used to used for my front projector. Can I just use a normal white fixed screen . like-

STR-169135 Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready Cinema Format (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen (16:9, 135", White Material)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BNPFIPBVL&th=1


Or will this projector require a special screen like the " Viewsonic BCP120 for UST projectors "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61xK-7C2r9L._SL1280_.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	2586388  
mr stroke is offline  
post #996 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
So I am in a pitch black room (Flat black paint on every wall including ceilings, zero light) that I used to used for my front projector. Can I just use a normal white fixed screen . like-

STR-169135 Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready Cinema Format (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen (16:9, 135", White Material)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BNPFIPBVL&th=1


Or will this projector require a special screen like the " Viewsonic BCP120 for UST projectors "
That is the exact screen I put in yesterday except for mine is acoustically transparent so I can have my speakers behind the screen. Looks incredible. I am also in a basement with no windows or light.
BenPlace is offline  
post #997 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
That is the exact screen I put in yesterday except for mine is acoustically transparent so I can have my speakers behind the screen. Looks incredible. I am also in a basement with no windows or light.
perfect ill order it now!

curious I was going to order a 135" screen but you say you had troubles getting it to fill 135"? how low did the projector need to be for 135"?
mr stroke is offline  
post #998 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
perfect ill order it now!

curious I was going to order a 135" screen but you say you had troubles getting it to fill 135"? how low did the projector need to be for 135"?
It needs to be higher off the ground. I have a vent that runs all the way down the center of my room, so it had to sit under that. I am at work, I can get a measurement for you tonight if you would like.
BenPlace is offline  
post #999 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
It needs to be higher off the ground. I have a vent that runs all the way down the center of my room, so it had to sit under that. I am at work, I can get a measurement for you tonight if you would like.
yes please. I think I can make it work as at 135" as there is a 18-24" shelf on the ground were some equipment is already stored that I should be able to use. I guess I can order both 120+135" and return one.
mr stroke is offline  
post #1000 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
It needs to be higher off the ground. I have a vent that runs all the way down the center of my room, so it had to sit under that. I am at work, I can get a measurement for you tonight if you would like.
yes please. I think I can make it work as at 135" as there is a 18-24" shelf on the ground were some equipment is already stored that I should be able to use. I guess I can order both 120+135" and return one.
mr stroke is offline  
post #1001 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
yes please. I think I can make it work as at 135" as there is a 18-24" shelf on the ground were some equipment is already stored that I should be able to use. I guess I can order both 120+135" and return one.
Wait until I get home and measure. I can measure from the floor up to where the bottom of mine projects.
BenPlace is offline  
post #1002 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
It needs to be higher off the ground. I have a vent that runs all the way down the center of my room, so it had to sit under that. I am at work, I can get a measurement for you tonight if you would like.
Curious: how is the "fake 4k" on this projector ?
I am coming from a Sony 85" 900F 4k TV & Oppo 203 UHD player.. I am pretty sensitive to resolution using a 4k TV and 5K monitor daily. I will be sitting about 9ft back from a 135" screen so hopefully the Faux 4k looks decent
mr stroke is offline  
post #1003 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Nihar P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
perfect ill order it now!



curious I was going to order a 135" screen but you say you had troubles getting it to fill 135"? how low did the projector need to be for 135"?
Probably this will help give an estimate...
Nihar P is offline  
post #1004 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
Probably this will help give an estimate...
Perfect, thank you!
BenPlace is offline  
post #1005 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
OK, here is Ready Player one without the waves on my new screen, recorded using my Samsung Galaxy S10+.


And Blue Planet showing off the colors.

BenPlace is offline  
post #1006 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
OK, here is Ready Player one without the waves on my new screen, recorded using my Samsung Galaxy S10+.

https://youtu.be/rOolXP2fnJk

And Blue Planet showing off the colors.

https://youtu.be/Eh-nkAVeHWw


Curious how this compares to "True 4k"
Do you happen to have a real 4k TV to compare too ? is the faux 4k even noticeable ?
mr stroke is offline  
post #1007 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
Curious how this compares to "True 4k"
Do you happen to have a real 4k TV to compare too ? is the faux 4k even noticeable ?
I don't know what you mean by faux 4k. The projector is native 4K.
Yes I have a 75 inch Samsung 4K TV and the picture is close, the colors are actually better on the projector.
BenPlace is offline  
post #1008 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
Curious how this compares to "True 4k"
Do you happen to have a real 4k TV to compare too ? is the faux 4k even noticeable ?
I don't know what you mean by faux 4k. The projector is native 4K.
Yes I have a 75 inch Samsung 4K TV and the picture is close, the colors are actually better on the projector.

I believe this is a single-chip 1080p DLP w/pixel-shift ? (Could be wrong though?)

AFAIK It uses shifting to achieve a 4K signal ?
(If you cant tell at 135” then I guess the tech works lol)
mr stroke is offline  
post #1009 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Member
 
Nihar P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
OK, here is Ready Player one without the waves on my new screen, recorded using my Samsung Galaxy S10+.



https://youtu.be/rOolXP2fnJk



And Blue Planet showing off the colors.



https://youtu.be/Eh-nkAVeHWw
Looking nice .. However, the Blue Planet video has been blocked by BBC Studios on copyright grounds. They were pretty quick to notice & block it there
Nihar P is offline  
post #1010 of 1549 Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 PM
Member
 
Nihar P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
I believe this is a single-chip 1080p DLP w/pixel-shift ? (Could be wrong though?)

AFAIK It uses shifting to achieve a 4K signal ?
(If you cant tell at 135” then I guess the tech works lol)
Yea, this is a wobulated 4k image. Not native 4k.. Although it supports native 4k input, it doesn't support native 4k output. However, I reckon you still shouldn't be able to make out any visible noticeable difference till atleast 150 inches. They wouldn't have advertised otherwise..
Nihar P is offline  
post #1011 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
Yea, this is a wobulated 4k image. Not native 4k.. Although it supports native 4k input, it doesn't support native 4k output. However, I reckon you still shouldn't be able to make out any visible noticeable difference till atleast 150 inches. They wouldn't have advertised otherwise..
The 4K youtube clips and movie trailers i have watched looked spot on to my untrained eyes
danwel is offline  
post #1012 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
Looking nice .. However, the Blue Planet video has been blocked by BBC Studios on copyright grounds. They were pretty quick to notice & block it there
Yea, I can't believe they would block a 30 second clip from a cell phone. It did look pretty amazing all considering.
BenPlace is offline  
post #1013 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
See if this link works...

BenPlace is offline  
post #1014 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
See if this link works...

Ben, where did you end up putting the projector ? I am measuring out space and it looks like the height from floor to bottom of the screen will be an issue for me unless I move furniture around FML. It looks like I need about 20" from lens to screen to get 135" which is hard unless I put in on a table on the floor
mr stroke is offline  
post #1015 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
Ben, where did you end up putting the projector ? I am measuring out space and it looks like the height from floor to bottom of the screen will be an issue for me unless I move furniture around FML. It looks like I need about 20" from lens to screen to get 135" which is hard unless I put in on a table on the floor
I actually took a black metal side from an old computer and put it on the floor and pur the projector right on top of it. I need mine as low as possible. I was able to play around and get it to fill a little more of the screen but still not the full 135 inchs.
BenPlace is offline  
post #1016 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
I actually took a black metal side from an old computer and put it on the floor and pur the projector right on top of it. I need mine as low as possible. I was able to play around and get it to fill a little more of the screen but still not the full 135 inchs.
what was the issue getting to exactly 135" ?
mr stroke is offline  
post #1017 of 1549 Old 07-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
what was the issue getting to exactly 135" ?
This is my room, I cannot go any higher with the screen because of the vent running down the ceiling. If that wasnt there I could raise it and then fill the whole screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	projector.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	2586922  
BenPlace is offline  
post #1018 of 1549 Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
Yea, I can't believe they would block a 30 second clip from a cell phone. It did look pretty amazing all considering.
The video quality looked so good, that they probably thought you were taking credit for the actual footage not realizing you were just showing the video quality of the projector lmao. If you zoomed out and showed the room and frame of the screen along with adding a detailed description of the posting then they would have left it alone.


Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 07-03-2019 at 09:31 AM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #1019 of 1549 Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
mr stroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
This is my room, I cannot go any higher with the screen because of the vent running down the ceiling. If that wasnt there I could raise it and then fill the whole screen.
is your projector currently set up that low? (or just for photo ?)
mr stroke is offline  
post #1020 of 1549 Old 07-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
BenPlace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Near Chicago IL
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
is your projector currently set up that low? (or just for photo ?)
It is set that low. It has to be to fill as much real estate on the screen as possible.
BenPlace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off