Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 334Likes

post #1141 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyevo View Post
How about the hard glass fresnel type ALR from xyscreen
It's pretty hefty though 175kg in box for the max 100" size screen...
and over twice the cost of xy's already overpriced pet crystal (lenticuar) screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
Yes. A gazilion springs. Took ages to assemble.

Pics:

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I do not have a roku to test but I use an optical HDMI 50 feet cable like you and it plays 4K HDR 60hz just fine.
The devices I use daily are:

Apple 4K TV
PS4 PRO
Xbox one X

and in the weekends I use my Samsung UHD 4K HDR bluray player.

Does your HDMI cable have some bad bends on it or possible signal loss due to past kinks? Fiber is very finicky like that and my previous cable had those issues that caused random handshake issues.

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1
Projector: Xiaomi UST Laser Projector 4k (2019 edition).
My current setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/RnRc98a
post #1143 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Yoo View Post
I'm waiting for my T-Prism alr screen to come but im just wondering has ANYONE been able to setup their screen with this projector with little to no issues?
looks like you and i will be the t prism pioneers on this board, mine was supposed to arrive yesterday (fedex) but now they're saying today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
looks like you and i will be the t prism pioneers on this board, mine was supposed to arrive yesterday (fedex) but now they're saying today...
What size/model did you order?
post #1145 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Yes. A gazilion springs. Took ages to assemble.

Pics:

Have you tried hanging the screen from the ceiling ?

post #1146 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
I do not have a roku to test but I use an optical HDMI 50 feet cable like you and it plays 4K HDR 60hz just fine.
<snip>
Does your HDMI cable have some bad bends on it or possible signal loss due to past kinks? Fiber is very finicky like that and my previous cable had those issues that caused random handshake issues.
My Shield plays at 59.xx Hz also but if you try to switch to 60 Hz, it gets wacky. I have a 50 foot cable as well. Not bent anywhere (some of it is still rolled up since the projector is more like 40 feet from my receiver). I don't think it's the cable though I wish I had a way to be sure. Ultimately my devices are also attached using some older cables to the receiver. It's possible Roku has a problem with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post
Have you tried hanging the screen from the ceiling ?

No way to hang my ceiling like that. It's an aluminum frame. Unless I drill holes in. I don't think it would matter, a frame with tension springs is really the best possible alternative.
post #1147 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
My Shield plays at 59.xx Hz also but if you try to switch to 60 Hz, it gets wacky. I have a 50 foot cable as well. Not bent anywhere (some of it is still rolled up since the projector is more like 40 feet from my receiver). I don't think it's the cable though I wish I had a way to be sure. Ultimately my devices are also attached using some older cables to the receiver. It's possible Roku has a problem with those.

No way to hang my ceiling like that. It's an aluminum frame. Unless I drill holes in. I don't think it would matter, a frame with tension springs is really the best possible alternative.

For testing purposes I would bring the shield next to the projector and use high speed 3ft hdmi cable just to eliminate the cable.

I have read many others on this thread use the shield without any issues so I know that the shield itself is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA using 7.2.4 with two center speakers (one behind the screen and one below it).
post #1148 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll try it upside down though holding it that way while trying to avoid the laser isn't exactly a natural act
doesn't have to be a life and limb proposition, just aim the pj at the floor and the flip it.

Quote:
With regards to the Benq you owned, I was just thinking that the pain I have endured with this UST business is not worth it. For over a decade, I have been using long throw PJs, they have had their quirks but never gave me this much trouble.
my guess is that none of those long throws you've owned in the past were 4k hdr... thing is, 4k hdr ust projectors are inherently challenging because alignment can be very difficult, but on top of that you also have the challenges of projector 4k hdr which is its own can of worms... and those projector 4k hdr challenges aren't just limited to ust, they're a challenge for all 4k hdr projectors.

when i first decided to jump from 1080p projectors to 4k hdr projectors i assumed it would be roughly the same as jumping from a 1080p tv to a 4k hdr tv, but i couldn't have been more wrong.

everything i throw at my 65" 4k hdr oled tends to look absolutely beautiful, especially 4k hdr content, regardless if it's a disc or ripped mkv file.

but it's been my experience that this just isn't the case with 4k hdr projectors, sources can be very hit and miss because of a myriad of processes that go into rendering a quality image, not the least of which is tone mapping... and of course 4k hdr projectors can't achieve the contrast or brightness levels of 4k hdr panels.

anyway, the 4k hdr benq short throw projector i owned has the same 4k hdr issues (handshakes, finicky acceptance of hdmi cables, etc.) as the ust projectors i've owned, it's the nature of the beast... 1080p projectors are relatively set and forget, 4k hdr projectors aren't (imo), at least not at the moment.

so why even bother with a 4k hdr projector? why not just stick with a nice 1080p projector? because when you do display a quality 4k hdr source, and when you start figuring out how to make other sources look better, the resulting image can be fantastic.

Quote:
If you have a suggestion for a cable, I am open to it. This sucker cost over a hundred dollars from Amazon. Damn fiber-based cables!
hdmi cables can be a trial and error thing with these projectors, a cheap one can work great while an expensive one won't and vice versa... as i mentioned, it's not uncommon for 4k hdr owners to got through a half a dozen or more hdmi cables until they find one that works.

Quote:
Since I am not the only one complaining about noise, I think it's just that I am more sensitive to it. I shouldn't be, since I have been around computer equipment much of my life. I am pretty sure the fan whine is normal.
could be that you're more sensitive, could be that you have a loud projector, fortunately mine isn't loud at all, really not even noticeable.
post #1149 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
doesn't have to be a life and limb proposition, just aim the pj at the floor and the flip it.

my guess is that none of those long throws you've owned in the past were 4k hdr... thing is, 4k hdr ust projectors are inherently challenging because alignment can be very difficult, but on top of that you also have the challenges of projector 4k hdr which is its own can of worms... and those projector 4k hdr challenges aren't just limited to ust, they're a challenge for all 4k hdr projectors.

when i first decided to jump from 1080p projectors to 4k hdr projectors i assumed it would be roughly the same as jumping from a 1080p tv to a 4k hdr tv, but i couldn't have been more wrong.

everything i throw at my 65" 4k hdr oled tends to look absolutely beautiful, especially 4k hdr content, regardless if it's a disc or ripped mkv file.

but it's been my experience that this just isn't the case with 4k hdr projectors, sources can be very hit and miss because of a myriad of processes that go into rendering a quality image, not the least of which is tone mapping... and of course 4k hdr projectors can't achieve the contrast or brightness levels of 4k hdr panels.

anyway, the 4k hdr benq short throw projector i owned has the same 4k hdr issues (handshakes, finicky acceptance of hdmi cables, etc.) as the ust projectors i've owned, it's the nature of the beast... 1080p projectors are relatively set and forget, 4k hdr projectors aren't (imo), at least not at the moment.

so why even bother with a 4k hdr projector? why not just stick with a nice 1080p projector? because when you do display a quality 4k hdr source, and when you start figuring out how to make other sources look better, the resulting image can be fantastic.

hdmi cables can be a trial and error thing with these projectors, a cheap one can work great while an expensive one won't and vice versa... as i mentioned, it's not uncommon for 4k hdr owners to got through a half a dozen or more hdmi cables until they find one that works.

could be that you're more sensitive, could be that you have a loud projector, fortunately mine isn't loud at all, really not even noticeable.

exactly why I turned off HDR on my Apple TV & Oppo UHD player.

1- This projector looks like ass when it tries to do HDR, IMO it simply doesn't have the contrast to pull it off. I am going 4k with SDR with this thing

2- Out side of my 2018's LG OLED & Sony TV's "HDR+4k" can be a massive pain in the ass with hand shaking issues. Even then its still not 100% solid. Running my NVIDIA 2080 ti with HDR on through my Sony TV can create issues with a 10" HMDI cert cable. The only time 4k+HDR work flawlessly for me is when I run my Oppo UHD player to my LG OLED. Otherwise its very hit and miss.
post #1150 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:

1- This projector looks like ass when it tries to do HDR, IMO it simply doesn't have the contrast to pull it off. I am going 4k with SDR with this thing

2- Out side of my 2018's LG OLED & Sony TV's "HDR+4k" can be a massive pain in the ass with hand shaking issues. Even then its still not 100% solid. Running my NVIDIA 2080 ti with HDR on through my Sony TV can create issues with a 10" HMDI cert cable. The only time 4k+HDR work flawlessly for me is when I run my Oppo UHD player to my LG OLED. Otherwise its very hit and miss.
Are you kidding? HDR looks AMAZING on this thing. So much so that I have been trying to get everything I can with HDR since I got the projector.
post #1151 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I have no experience with projectors. Looking for my first one. Reading all these problems and fact this comes from China so warranty is hit or miss has me worried. I was looking at this vs Epson 5050ub which is not UST.

From your experience what type of problems I might get into with a non-UST like the epson I mentioned. Non technical draw backs I can think of are:

1) Installing a power outlet in the ceiling
2) Running a long HDMI cable
3) Obviously not UST which would be great to have.

thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #1152 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:

I have a Sony XBR930. I've played many remux 10bit HDR Blurays and never had an issue. It's mind-blowing they haven't found a solution.

They Sony automatically detects 10 4k HDR content always.

post #1153 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
Are you kidding? HDR looks AMAZING on this thing. So much so that I have been trying to get everything I can with HDR since I got the projector.
yeah, i really don't get what @mr stroke is saying either, 4kd hdr can look stunning on these things given the right source... also, i grew tired of handshaking issues and delays when switching sources so now i just have one connection that does it all, a pc, which i use to stream my extensive ripped bluray library, stream netflix, amazon, hulu, and the nfl sunday ticket.. i also run my pc through a lumagen pro which allows me to fine tune things more than what i can get from the projector alone, including improved tone mapping.
post #1154 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yeah, i really don't get what @mr stroke is saying either, 4kd hdr can look stunning on these things given the right source... also, i grew tired of handshaking issues and delays when switching sources so now i just have one connection that does it all, a pc, which i use to stream my extensive ripped bluray library, stream netflix, amazon, hulu, and the nfl sunday ticket.. i also run my pc through a lumagen pro which allows me to fine tune things more than what i can get from the projector alone, including improved tone mapping.
I am surprised you guys say it looks stunning.. Maybe I am using wrong settings lol

This projector looks great on SDR.. just HDR looks washed out and over saturated. Where my LG OLED TV & Acer X27 FALD monitor look fantastic
post #1155 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

someone post there settings ? or is everyone just using "Movie" mode ?
post #1156 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post
I have no experience with projectors. Looking for my first one. Reading all these problems and fact this comes from China so warranty is hit or miss has me worried. I was looking at this vs Epson 5050ub which is not UST.

From your experience what type of problems I might get into with a non-UST like the epson I mentioned. Non technical draw backs I can think of are:

thanks

there's an old adage: have a great experience and you tell a friend, have a bad experience and you tell anyone and everyone who will listen.

point is, while some may clearly have issues with a product they've purchased, i don't think online complaints are always a fair representation of the true quality, or customer satisfaction, of the product.... throw in user error and/or inexperience with a product that leads to poor results, and the waters get even muddier... anyway, thousand have purchased this projector and thousands are very happy with it.

re your question, imo projectors aren't plug and play like tvs, there's a learning curve to all of them, and there are a lot more factors involved in order to get great results (installation, screen, lighting, room size, etc.)... if i were you i would determine a price range, read the threads containing projectors in that price range (while keeping in mind that some bad user experiences doesn't mean the projector sucks or is plagued with a bunch of issues), and then try them out using amazon's 30-day return policy (or benq's 30-day return policy) to see which one makes you the most happy.
oni222 and geronemo3 like this.
post #1157 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
someone post there settings ? or is everyone just using "Movie" mode ?
I have mine set on "Standard" mode.
How are you sending content to it?
post #1158 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I am surprised you guys say it looks stunning.. Maybe I am using wrong settings lol

This projector looks great on SDR.. just HDR looks washed out and over saturated. Where my LG OLED TV & Acer X27 FALD monitor look fantastic

If it helps I run this projector with HDR ON and I love how it looks.
Nothing is washed out or saturated.

Sure it is not as good as my LG OLED 65” tv’s but it is better than my Samsung 80” QLED without a doubt.

post #1159 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What size/model did you order?
purchased a custom 2.35:1 scope screen, t-prism / lenticular, 133" wide, 57" high, 145" diagonal.

the bad news is it arrived this morning in a damaged box that exposed some of the contents, and without opening the package completely it looks like at least portions of the frame were damaged, so it looks like i get to go through the wonderful process of filing a claim and getting a replacement!

post #1160 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
If it helps I run this projector with HDR ON and I love how it looks.
Nothing is washed out or saturated.

Sure it is not as good as my LG OLED 65” tv’s but it is better than my Samsung 80” QLED without a doubt.

I don't know why people try to compare projectors to TVs anyways. If I could buy a 120 inch TV for 5k, then thats the way to go all day. You can't...
post #1161 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know why people try to compare projectors to TVs anyways. If I could buy a 120 inch TV for 5k, then thats the way to go all day. You can't...
yep.
oni222 likes this.
post #1162 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I completely get your point. I guess they are using it as reference for those of us that don't have one. To give a ball park idea.

A lot of people who have never owned a projector would actually read 4K HDR and expect it to be as good as their TV but on the flip side those people do not read this forum LOL.

oni222 likes this.
post #1163 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronemo3 View Post

I think you forgot the biggest negative for the Epson. It's still using UHE lamps. Cheap bulbs, but they are still replaced frequently if you want to use your PJ a lot. I have always used mine as a TV and had a Benq W1070 that I changed 3 bulbs on. Never again.

Quote:
purchased a custom 2.35:1 scope screen, t-prism / lenticular, 133" wide, 57" high, 145" diagonal.

the bad news is it arrived this morning in a damaged box that exposed some of the contents, and without opening the package completely it looks like at least portions of the frame were damaged, so it looks like i get to go through the wonderful process of filing a claim and getting a replacement!
Are you sure the frame is damaged? Can't tell from the pics. Just because the package was torn doesn't necessarily mean it was damaged.
geronemo3 likes this.
post #1164 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you sure the frame is damaged? Can't tell from the pics. Just because the package was torn doesn't necessarily mean it was damaged.
yeah, no doubt, shards of aluminum dangling, paint cracked, mangled, from being dragged around on a rough surface exposed, alas....

post #1165 of 1205 Old 07-12-2019, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Probably done with this projector too

Absolute pain in the ass to get it to not warp. I’ve probably spent 8-10 hours now trying to line this thing up in any way possible and it just won’t work. I can’t ceiling mount it and even using spacers this thing just won’t produce an even picture in my situation FML

To be honest, the best screen for this projector is a ceiling drop down screen. Trying to wall hang a fixed screen on an un even wall is close to impossible. I am surprised reviewers never point this out. (Maybe because they are installing these in “non real life theater scenarios” meant for reviewing only ?
post #1166 of 1205 Old 07-13-2019, 06:46 AM

Yes. I agree a hundred percent. I have spent way too many hours on trying to unwarp the fricking picture. I am also shocked that no one has mentioned this anywhere on the internet. I don't know how they get the screen picture-perfect every time either with reviews on in public fora. Obviously, it's one massive setup. If a guy like me, who started building PCs a quarter century back, and is an IT expert, can't get it right, I don't know how any layman will. I don't think the PJ is bad (though that was my initial thought), perhaps my screen is slightly warped, but I am not sure (no way of confirming this).

The bottom line, I should have stuck with either an LK970 or a BenQ HT9050 which was my original target. I just couldn't justify the high price back then, but had I known what pain this would be, I would have bit the bullet on the long throw and be done with it. 4K issues be damned, at least I would have color and picture uniformity!

post #1167 of 1205 Old 07-13-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If a guy like me, who started building PCs a quarter century back, and is an IT expert, can't get it right, I don't know how any layman will.
seems like a lot of average joes have been able to swing it....

post #1168 of 1205 Old 07-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Duty wasn't paid at the orign. All GCC countries have now empowered their Customs agencies to collect duty (the days of getting in free personal shipments are long behind us). So now a shipment comes in and the shipping company simply takes what's on the airway bill's declared invoice (in my case always legit), adds a hefty processing fee and takes 5 to 7 percent for the government. This morning the UPS driver collected the funds from me. And that was after a 10 day delay. UPS sucks donkey balls in the Middle East.
fwiw my screen arrived via fedex yesterday, as usual just had to sign for it and nothing else, no additional charges, same thing with everything i've purchased from china... of course the box was torn open upon delivery and the frame clearly appears to be damaged, but that's a story for another day, ha ha...
post #1169 of 1205 Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys, I'm new here and I follow this thread for quite some time.
I'm planning to buy the Xiaomi 4K Laser Projector with an 100" screen from XY but I'm really uncertain when reading all these "bad" reviews.
Of course on the other hand there are far more great reviews, but these bad experiences stand out the most in my mind.
Now Xiaomi released the Xiaomi Wemax A300 4K Laser Projector. It seems that this new one has nearly double the lumens than the "old" one. Is this a better choice? Should I stick with the Mijia 4K?
My wife saw the setup and immediately said that she loves the look of it and I should go 4 it.
I'm a little bit afraid of the possible judder because here in Germany all the movies and TV programs are 24fps not 60fps. Also the problems with 3D are not giving me the a good feeling.
How is the update behavior of Xiaomi? Do they support their products with updates? Are they going to change the fix 4K 60fps settings? Are they going to fix the 3D problems? You see I have many doubts because I never dealt with Xiaomi or a 4K projector.
On the other hand....maybe the new A300 does have the same problems....just brighter?
post #1170 of 1205 Old 07-13-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
fwiw my screen arrived via fedex yesterday, as usual just had to sign for it and nothing else, no additional charges, same thing with everything i've purchased from china... of course the box was torn open upon delivery and the frame clearly appears to be damaged, but that's a story for another day, ha ha...
aeneas01: I feel your pain! Waiting for your screen and than this happens. You're taking it like a real man! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page