Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched. - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 404Likes

post #1591 of 1633 Old 11-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moctodavs View Post
Casey, can you give us a direct link to the seller and the actual model listing? There are so many Xiaomi models or listings, and just like eBay, they will toss words in the headlines that have nothing to do with the product to get more serach results. For example, putting 4k in the headline of the normal 1080p version to get more hits. If it's against forum rules, then please PM me. Thank you.

I can for the Fengmi 4K version which is a little better (brighter, faster input lag) on most accounts (per PHC review as well). I worked with Stephen Lou and he was great to work with. https://formovie.en.alibaba.com/ Just search on that page for "Real goog" LOL 😂. Yes I know it's misspelled but, it's the listing I used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1633 Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctodavs View Post
Casey, can you give us a direct link to the seller and the actual model listing? There are so many Xiaomi models or listings, and just like eBay, they will toss words in the headlines that have nothing to do with the product to get more serach results. For example, putting 4k in the headline of the normal 1080p version to get more hits. If it's against forum rules, then please PM me. Thank you.
I PM'ed you.
post #1593 of 1633 Old 11-01-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Believe it or not it was 720p per the Stats for Nerds (aka Info) from YouTubeTV. I'm not 100% percent sure if its the Roku doing it's magic, but it does the same with The Office on Netflix so..I guess that's what the Ultra is all about. I know even The Office looked bad by comparison on the Roku Streaming Stick (up to 1080p only) using the same Netflix, but I'm not sure if I was just getting a lesser stream due to the device or if it was really all about that Ultra taking it up a notch. I tested the regular Streaming Stick with my Darbee and it still didn't look as good as what I was seeing with the Ultra alone, I didn't take the Ultra down to 1080p so I could test with my Darbee because at that point I knew I would just have better luck just upscaling everything to a 4K output with the Ultra and it wasn't worth the extra effort to have one input on my projector dedicated to 1080p content. That may change when I test more Frame packed 3D, but for now I've got SBS 3D looking pretty good via MadVR.

BTW I tried the Fox Sports app for the World Series and it wasn't any better than what I was getting from YouTubeTV. I'd bet it was 720p, but I can't confirm.
What is the model of the Roku streaming device? My Chromecast Ultra 4K player sure does not upscale Youtube TV. And we know the Xiaomi 4K UST project does not upscale either. BTW, I assume you are not using a 4K receiver or any device in between the Roku player and Xiaomi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1633 Old 11-02-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n View Post
What is the model of the Roku streaming device? My Chromecast Ultra 4K player sure does not upscale Youtube TV. And we know the Xiaomi 4K UST project does not upscale either. BTW, I assume you are not using a 4K receiver or any device in between the Roku player and Xiaomi.
OK I have found the answer here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethpor.../#5bbec0ba3c06

"Not only is the Roku Ultra one of the only set-top streaming devices on the market that can handle the entire battery of next-generation display technologies (not just 4K, but also 60fps and HDR), but it also features the ability to upscale lower-resolution content up to 4K. "

I might have to get this Roku Ultra. My Chromecast Ultra does not upscale at all.
NBPk402 likes this.
post #1595 of 1633 Old 11-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n View Post
OK I have found the answer here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethpor.../#5bbec0ba3c06

"Not only is the Roku Ultra one of the only set-top streaming devices on the market that can handle the entire battery of next-generation display technologies (not just 4K, but also 60fps and HDR), but it also features the ability to upscale lower-resolution content up to 4K. "

I might have to get this Roku Ultra. My Chromecast Ultra does not upscale at all.
I am hearing really good things about the new 2019 NVidia Shield and its AI Upscaling. I just ordered one, waiting for stock.
I have the 2015 Shield and a Roku Ultra and the Shield is by far a better player and the only one that will do Atmos/7.1.
post #1596 of 1633 Old 11-02-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post
I am hearing really good things about the new 2019 NVidia Shield and its AI Upscaling. I just ordered one, waiting for stock.
I have the 2015 Shield and a Roku Ultra and the Shield is by far a better player and the only one that will do Atmos/7.1.
I saw the recent announcement too. After you have a chance to test it, please let me know if the upscale for Youtube TV sport broadcast to 4K looks good or not. Thank!
post #1597 of 1633 Old 11-03-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I started to consider the UST projectors due to ease of placement. There are so many different versions of 4K UST projectors in Alibaba (granted some are rebranded Mijias). Is Xiaomi Mijia still the one to buy? There is also VAVA which you can buy directly in US but I am not sure if it's worth the price difference. Can someone send me PM for proper vendors in AliBaba? Also did someone order a floor rising ALR screen from China, if so how was the experience? Vivid Storm is out of stock in Amazon.
post #1598 of 1633 Old 11-03-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post
I started to consider the UST projectors due to ease of placement. There are so many different versions of 4K UST projectors in Alibaba (granted some are rebranded Mijias). Is Xiaomi Mijia still the one to buy? There is also VAVA which you can buy directly in US but I am not sure if it's worth the price difference. Can someone send me PM for proper vendors in AliBaba? Also did someone order a floor rising ALR screen from China, if so how was the experience? Vivid Storm is out of stock in Amazon.
Regarding the xiaomi projectors, and seeing how many people recently complained about display issues (seemingly due to a hardware design issue) on mijia, I'd probably choose fengmi or wemax instead.
Concerning the other brands, I don't really know.
post #1599 of 1633 Old 11-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocky12 View Post
Regarding the xiaomi projectors, and seeing how many people recently complained about display issues (seemingly due to a hardware design issue) on mijia, I'd probably choose fengmi or wemax instead.
Concerning the other brands, I don't really know.
Wemax seems to be way more expensive. I only saw Fengmi in this thread. The issue about these Chinese products is finding reliable information. They don't do professional reviews about these products which I totally understand.
post #1600 of 1633 Old 11-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone heard of a Ultra short throw projector that could do a 200" diagonal 2.4 aspect?

Living room HT
Front channels...3 Klipsch RP160Ms, 4 RP150Ms surrounds,Yamaha CXA5100, 2 Dune HD PRO, 2 Yamaha p2500s, 2 Nobsound 50wpc, UnRaid, APC HT power center, Pioneer bluray player, PS3, XBOX ONE,
Xilica xp4080 crossover
post #1601 of 1633 Old 11-08-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m also looking into getting my first UST projector and have my eyes on this Xiaomi 4K. Price is $1700 current on ******** with 11/11 coming it might be cheaper. But hearing problems from other users I’m a bit worried , also does not being HDCP 2.2 compliant hinder any 4K streaming service?

I will be also looking in to a Rising floor XY screen, which material is best for this projector? Or do they only have one type, ideas of cost for a 100”?
post #1602 of 1633 Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1204 View Post
I’m also looking into getting my first UST projector and have my eyes on this Xiaomi 4K. Price is $1700 current on ******** with 11/11 coming it might be cheaper. But hearing problems from other users I’m a bit worried , also does not being HDCP 2.2 compliant hinder any 4K streaming service?

I will be also looking in to a Rising floor XY screen, which material is best for this projector? Or do they only have one type, ideas of cost for a 100”?
While I have Xiaomi, I would much rather go with Fengmi 4K as my upgrade or even Vava for a bit more but with warranty. Coil whine is annoying in Xiaomi models

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1603 of 1633 Old 11-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Quote:
I’️m also looking into getting my first UST projector and have my eyes on this Xiaomi 4K. Price is $1700 current on ******** with 11/11 coming it might be cheaper. But hearing problems from other users I’️m a bit worried , also does not being HDCP 2.2 compliant hinder any 4K streaming service?

I will be also looking in to a Rising floor XY screen, which material is best for this projector? Or do they only have one type, ideas of cost for a 100â€Â?
While I have Xiaomi, I would much rather go with Fengmi 4K as my upgrade or even Vava for a bit more but with warranty. Coil whine is annoying in Xiaomi models
The Fengmi is the same exact projector as the Xiaomi with bumped up brightness, suffers from the same problems. The Vava looks good but is a bit too expensive for me. I’m leaning towards it but would have to save up for it. Never mind it’s not even Native 4k.. Any other models coming out?

Last edited by ray1204; 11-08-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Add comment
post #1604 of 1633 Old 11-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I own the Fengmi 4K cinema which is similar to the Xiaomi (higher brightness) and looking for a 120 inch Pet Crystal screen.

At the moment I have 2 offers:

Azure USD$800
XY screens USD$1100

Both are including shipping to Sydney Australia.

Is it worth going for XY which is $300 more expensive, any other brands I should look at or is the Azure good enough (not a lot of reviews out)?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve
post #1605 of 1633 Old 11-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuller View Post
Hi all,

I own the Fengmi 4K cinema which is similar to the Xiaomi (higher brightness) and looking for a 120 inch Pet Crystal screen.

Azure USD$800
XY screens USD$1100

Is it worth going for XY which is $300 more expensive, any other brands I should look at or is the Azure good enough (not a lot of reviews out)?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve
I can't comment on the Azure screen but i do now the XY Screen and their service was fantastic and the screen made a difference when i compared to my test on a white wall to using the screen.

It would also depend on where you plan on using the screen because from what i understand, if you use it solely in the dark or dark room then a cheaper screen would work just as well, i'm happy to be proved wrong though
post #1606 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel View Post
I can't comment on the Azure screen but i do now the XY Screen and their service was fantastic and the screen made a difference when i compared to my test on a white wall to using the screen.

It would also depend on where you plan on using the screen because from what i understand, if you use it solely in the dark or dark room then a cheaper screen would work just as well, i'm happy to be proved wrong though
Thanks for your advice, it is a pretty dark controlled living room but like the idea to watch during the day.

Email from Azure:

Hi Steve

The biggest size of the pet crystal screen we can do is 120 inch 16:9.
The gain is 0.8.With special optical sawtooth structure,the pet crystal material can avoid 93% of the influence from ambient light.

I'm not familiar with the quality of XY screen but i can assure you the best quality of our pet crystal screen.
Here attached some pics and videos of the pet crystal screen for your reference.
The pet crystal material is one of the ALR material ,it has a good feature of ambient light rejection. You can see a very clear images during the day. Also we use the super narrow aluminum alloy frame which is only 10mm so the images won't be limited by the edges when projected.

Please let me know if there is any other questions.

Thanks
Anne

Last edited by smuller; 11-09-2019 at 01:54 AM.
post #1607 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuller View Post
Hi all,

Azure USD$800
XY screens USD$1100

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve
This post will highlight the differences for you:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post58271746

I have the Azure 120" and I would have to agree that the frame is of very low quality. When it arrived, I made a huge ruckus on AVS stating that maybe my PJ was a lemon. In reality, it was the screen. Sticking a wrapped up paper towel smack in the middle of the screen (in the back) took care of my picture deformity issues. It's not perfect, but it's acceptable.

In retrosepct, I would have spent the extra money and skipped XY altogether and go for the Vividstorm electric screen. No issues with tension or mounting or anything else.
post #1608 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post

I have the Azure 120" and I would have to agree that the frame is of very low quality. When it arrived, I made a huge ruckus on AVS stating that maybe my PJ was a lemon. In reality, it was the screen. Sticking a wrapped up paper towel smack in the middle of the screen (in the back) took care of my picture deformity issues. It's not perfect, but it's acceptable.

In retrosepct, I would have spent the extra money and skipped XY altogether and go for the Vividstorm electric screen. No issues with tension or mounting or anything else.
Can you post some pics of your setup if possible please?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
post #1609 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post

This was the info I was looking for, almost went for the Azure but now I am leaning towards to pay the extra $300 and go for XY.
post #1610 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Can anyone know why i see a light frame ? i try move the pj very close to the wall to see if it help but i always see this light frame above the screen
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MI.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2638626  
post #1611 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nir10 View Post
Can anyone know why i see a light frame ? i try move the pj very close to the wall to see if it help but i always see this light frame above the screen
thank you
It looks like it is shining through the screen onto the wall behind it. Try putting a black sheet or something that blocks light onto the back of the screen.
post #1612 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nir10 View Post
thank you
It’s a known problem of the DLP 0.47 chip.
The Optoma UHZ65UST has the same problem.
post #1613 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
The Fengmi is the same exact projector as the Xiaomi with bumped up brightness, suffers from the same problems. The Vava looks good but is a bit too expensive for me. I’m leaning towards it but would have to save up for it. Never mind it’s not even Native 4k.. Any other models coming out?

Not true. The Fengmi has a different larger housing that seems to have corrected the problem with the cooling fan ribbon cable being crimped inside the previously cramped housing. Also the extra room inside increases airflow reducing heat and noise. Lastly, the Fengmi has a physical power button.
post #1614 of 1633 Old 11-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Quote:
The Fengmi is the same exact projector as the Xiaomi with bumped up brightness, suffers from the same problems. The Vava looks good but is a bit too expensive for me. I’️m leaning towards it but would have to save up for it. Never mind it’️s not even Native 4k.. Any other models coming out?

Not true. The Fengmi has a different larger housing that seems to have corrected the problem with the cooling fan ribbon cable being crimped inside the previously cramped housing. Also the extra room inside increases airflow reducing heat and noise. Lastly, the Fengmi has a physical power button.
Oh ok, maybe that’s the model I will look for. Do you know what HDCP it has and will it block 4K steaming from some devices?
post #1615 of 1633 Old 11-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a Xiaomi robot vacuum that I'm pretty happy with, so I was glad to see Xiaomi has a 4k projector!

I'm in the process of setting up a home theater in the basement of my new house, but it looks like it's going to be challenging to get an HDMI cable from the components by the screen back to behind the couch in the ceiling. I think the ceiling joists run perpendicular to the cable run that I need to do, so it would be very challenging.

But a UST projector may be just the ticket! Unless anyone has a workaround for perpendicular ceiling joists...

My question is:

Can these (Xiaomi/Fengmi/Vava) be mounted to the ceiling without any problems?
post #1616 of 1633 Old 11-10-2019, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Oh ok, maybe that’s the model I will look for. Do you know what HDCP it has and will it block 4K steaming from some devices?

I don’t have the projector myself. According to all the reviews I’ve read there is no issue with HDCP from external sources, it’s the built in android os that doesn’t support HDCP.
post #1617 of 1633 Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Heads up, it's Singles Day in China which means there may be major sales on these chinese projectors.

Prices on Aliexpress look to be about $300 cheaper than when I checked yesterday. Any had luck ordering from Aliex?
post #1618 of 1633 Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am considering buying this Xiaomi Mijia 4K projector or a Benq HT3550/W2700. The Xiaomi would be a lot easier to setup but I wonder if the picture quality is worse?
post #1619 of 1633 Old 11-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwel View Post

Don't forget that even in a pitch black room you'll get better brightness and perceived contrasts with a CLR/ALR screen because it has a negative gain ( better blacks) and it blocks light reflections from the projector/screen.

I was amazed to witness this myself, but if you really need to see it for yourself like I did, buy some samples from XY (super cheap and fast; pay shipping only). There's no kidding yourself and no going back when you see the difference.
post #1620 of 1633 Old 11-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Don't forget that even in a pitch black room you'll get better brightness and perceived contrasts with a CLR/ALR screen because it has a negative gain ( better blacks) and it blocks light reflections from the projector/screen.

I was amazed to witness this myself, but if you really need to see it for yourself like I did, buy some samples from XY (super cheap and fast; pay shipping only). There's no kidding yourself and no going back when you see the difference.
Yeah very true, it really does come into its own in a dark room. Being from the UK and with the clocks recently changing it is one of the plus points of dark nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page