AVS Forum banner

Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched.

523K views 2K replies 279 participants last post by  Casey_Bryson 
#1 ·
Xiaomi first launched the Mi Laser Projector in June 2017 and it was well received in the market such that the company raked in sales of 10 million yuan just 2 hours after it went on its first sale. The device came with a 9999 yuan price tag and despite the hype, was only able to provide an FHD resolution. The company has now launched the MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with the same design, same price tag but a higher 4K resolution.

In terms of design, the MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version bears a similar design to the Mijia Laser Projector that was launched last year but that model comes with a white colour scheme while the new MIJIA Laser Projector is dark gray. The rest of the specifications are mostly similar. The Mijia Laser Projector comes with a 0.233:1 large depth of field and has an ultra-short focal lens design. The projector screen can be placed in the TV cabinet with the size adjusted to fit in. The wall can also be used as the screen and so, it does not occupy too much indoor space. The design also eliminates the cumbersome problem of wires scattered everywhere. The Laser projector itself only needs to be placed 49cm away from the wall in order to deliver 150-inch screen projection. For a 120-inch screen, the distance reduces to 34cm.

Xiaomi claims the laser light inside the projector has a shelve life of 25,0000 hours. That translates to up to 17 years usage if the projector is used for 4hours daily, meaning the laser is ultra-durable and long-lasting. Picture quality is assured as a result of the use of advanced laser fluorescence display technology (ALPD 3.0). The projector provides a red light ratio of 16% to 18%, wide color gamut, color quasi, with contrast comparable to the laser studio 3000: 1 screen contrast. The light source brightness can reach up to 1500 lumens which are of theatre screen level. The projector also diffuses its direct light source, allowing for more eye protection.

In addition, the Mijia Laser 150″ projector is capable of providing theatre-level audio-visuals right in the comfort of the sitting room. It also comes built-in with all the content available on the MIUI TV. The device equally has its own remote control which supports the Xiaomi universal remote control app. That means the Xiaomi universal smart remote can be used to operate the sophisticated device.

The MIJIA projector will go on its first sale on January 18 for 9999 yuan but presale will open on January 15. After the first sale, the price will then berth at 14,999 yuan ($2,220) which is the official retail price.

See less See more
#2 ·
So my Lune 4k order with several Chinese retailers and agents failed at the payment step. I figured it was the projector gods telling me no go on that model and to settle with the unopened PX800HD sitting in my living room or wait until something else came along. I guess this is it. Are pre orders on the Xiaomi site? Do they ship to the US?

#1,556 ·
Hello ,
I am little confused on the chipsets and their result.
For XGIMI LUNE 4k , I read that they use 0.47DMD chip i.e., DLP470TE and as shown in attachment they mention dual DLP Chipset. Does that mean they use two DMD chipset of these ?
What 0.47 chip set Xiaomi uses specifically. Does they also use dual chipset ?
I like Lune 4k but their Harmon Kardon speakers are not my favorite for movie dialogues except for Music. Lune also says they have a professional graphic processing chip i-Chips C381 . i dont know what exact value they add , Can any expert here give me some knowledge ?

Attachments

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Same DMD hardware and keep in mind that the DMD is just a reflective device and 'should' be able to reflect back just as much light as it is given. There are other DLP (different hardware) that are putting out 5000-7000 (commercial) lumens.

Shame on the lumen output though...could have been something nice and yes, HDMI 2.1 is FAN--TASTIC AT THIS PRICE POINT! If they do the deal with Wal-Mart state side, I may look into it.

Edit: Maybe they are going away from the overly optimistic 'higher' lumens claims of their previous PJs which had no where near what they advertised? I think a lot of the tests on the PJs claiming 5000 lumens tested it at around 1500-1700 lumens anyway so they are being more realistic. 🤔

Reactions: oni222
#21 · (Edited)
so DMD's also have a maximum limit in brightness although they are a reflective device. They too will saturate when used with higher lumen device - TP vs TE

OK just found this , but isn't the Lune 4K using the 0.66 dmd type?

The DLP470TP is the most compact 4K UHD solution from DLP Products, and is optimized for size and power. Measuring 17 mm by 24.5 mm and supporting brightness levels up to 1,500 lumens, the DLP470TP can deliver 4K UHD quality to equipment such as mobile smart TVs and pico projectors.
The DLP470TE is optimized for projectors needing over 1,500 lumens. This chipset is in a larger package, 22 mm by 32 mm, which enables it to withstand the heat generated by brightness levels up to 4,000 lumens.

#22 ·
If the use of DLP470TP is confirmed, it would suggest perhaps Xiaomi is targeting the low end "mobile" segment of the market. A RGBW colour wheel could also be used to boost brightness.

It is also possible same chipset be used in the other budget 2000 lumens model, but operating beyond it's max power limit. Would be sad if this turns out to be true.

While DLP660TE is the obvious chipset of choice when it comes to performance, it is only likely to appear in higher end products such as the tri-laser models currently under development at Changhong and Hisense.

Time to put on hold the pre-order pending clarification on the matter?:(

#24 ·
HDMI 2.1 is what has sold me.
I am ready to sell my Xiaomi UST Laser projector and upgrade to this puppy.

If anybody finds an online retailer that ships to the U.S please tell me. I will be buying one in a heart beat.

#30 ·
I got one of the very first HDMI 2.0 receivers from Pioneer and it did not have HDCP version needed for 4k. So even though it is very rare it does happen.

Honestly since we are talking about HDMI 2.1 I would bet money that it works with HDCP 2.2.

As for the pricing, I do not see any other UST Laser 4k projectors that can do 150" at this price. So even price gouged by gearlolbest it will sell very well.
Optoma's and LG's UST laser projectors cap out at 120" so for me that is a deal breaker.

#32 ·
@ethan3686
Well I am not sure but doesn't hdmi 2.1 mean hdcp 2.2 compatibility automatically?
Not necessarily, HDCP is a layer on top of HDMI and it's up to the manufacturer to implement it. There are HDMI 2.0 equipped projectors that don't have HDCP 2.2 either (looking at you Chinese manufacturers).

HDMI 2.1 is what has sold me.
I am ready to sell my Xiaomi UST Laser projector and upgrade to this puppy.

@oni222 , looking at the product page, the HDMI 2.1 is no longer listed on the images of the projector! I'd wait until we get further clarification as it could have been a marketing mistake.

#34 ·
Not necessarily, HDCP is a layer on top of HDMI and it's up to the manufacturer to implement it. There are HDMI 2.0 equipped projectors that don't have HDCP 2.2 either (looking at you Chinese manufacturers).

@oni222 , looking at the product page, the HDMI 2.1 is no longer listed on the images of the projector! I'd wait until we get further clarification as it could have been a marketing mistake.
Maybe one of those images are not loading properly because I just checked and I saw the HDMi 2.1 pic.

#33 ·
There's a few hands on in China from the Xiaomi website. Use Google translate, so far it seems pretty good from the non-technical reviews.

Link with pics

Reactions: oni222
#36 ·
Wasn't aware there were ANY HDMI 2.1 capable devices on the consumer market at all yet. It's basically unheard of. HDMI 2.0 with 18Gb/s capacity is plenty with all our fake 4K projectors that we are looking at right now. Looking, because we can't buy it since it's not sold outside of China to anyone. Lots of expectations for something we can't get. Of course, if we do get it, you better know Chinese.

#37 ·
I was thinking the same and I had noted that the 2.1 ports in the original pics were probably a marketing error.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Can't wait to we have a review of this projector. The specs are impressive but doesn't seem as concrete. $1500-2200 is very impressive for a ust 4k projector. HDMI 2.1 is another plus. Can't wait for this projector to get in a reliable reviewer hands. Or mines 😁

#41 · (Edited)
By the way you guys should check out the comments section. A ton of people have been posting pics (low res) but auto translate does a decent job.

https://m.mi.com/comment/list/2190200022

EDIT: according to the comments it looks like 8 point keystone is indeed removed. You can still use 4 point.