AVS Forum banner

Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with 4K resolution launched.

523K views 2K replies 279 participants last post by  Casey_Bryson 
#1 ·
Xiaomi first launched the Mi Laser Projector in June 2017 and it was well received in the market such that the company raked in sales of 10 million yuan just 2 hours after it went on its first sale. The device came with a 9999 yuan price tag and despite the hype, was only able to provide an FHD resolution. The company has now launched the MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version with the same design, same price tag but a higher 4K resolution.

In terms of design, the MIJIA Laser Projector 4K version bears a similar design to the Mijia Laser Projector that was launched last year but that model comes with a white colour scheme while the new MIJIA Laser Projector is dark gray. The rest of the specifications are mostly similar. The Mijia Laser Projector comes with a 0.233:1 large depth of field and has an ultra-short focal lens design. The projector screen can be placed in the TV cabinet with the size adjusted to fit in. The wall can also be used as the screen and so, it does not occupy too much indoor space. The design also eliminates the cumbersome problem of wires scattered everywhere. The Laser projector itself only needs to be placed 49cm away from the wall in order to deliver 150-inch screen projection. For a 120-inch screen, the distance reduces to 34cm.

Xiaomi claims the laser light inside the projector has a shelve life of 25,0000 hours. That translates to up to 17 years usage if the projector is used for 4hours daily, meaning the laser is ultra-durable and long-lasting. Picture quality is assured as a result of the use of advanced laser fluorescence display technology (ALPD 3.0). The projector provides a red light ratio of 16% to 18%, wide color gamut, color quasi, with contrast comparable to the laser studio 3000: 1 screen contrast. The light source brightness can reach up to 1500 lumens which are of theatre screen level. The projector also diffuses its direct light source, allowing for more eye protection.

In addition, the Mijia Laser 150″ projector is capable of providing theatre-level audio-visuals right in the comfort of the sitting room. It also comes built-in with all the content available on the MIUI TV. The device equally has its own remote control which supports the Xiaomi universal remote control app. That means the Xiaomi universal smart remote can be used to operate the sophisticated device.

The MIJIA projector will go on its first sale on January 18 for 9999 yuan but presale will open on January 15. After the first sale, the price will then berth at 14,999 yuan ($2,220) which is the official retail price.

See less See more
#1,371 ·
Hi guys,

Im thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these baby's but need to make sure I can use my existing pull down screen with it? I currently have a 106' screen (Sapphire Manual Slow retraction Screen - 234 x 132cm (16:9) - (SWS240WSF-ASR2)

Would this still produce a good picture?

#1,393 ·
Xiaomi mijia 4K vs A300 comparison !

https://youtu.be/l7vX95bbfic

https://youtu.be/E0u57vAcEbk

https://youtu.be/Z33s_MA_nQ0

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Nice! Finally some comparisons coming out. I'm not sure if its accurate tho since mine color calibrated doesnt wash out those bright scenes like his Mija. The main thing that I was curious about was the brightness and tbh it def doesnt look like 9000 advertised lumens as I had expected. Not worth the extra $1000 at this point in my opinion.

#1,384 ·
That's a question only you can answer since I don't know your exact circumstances.

In general, if you're willing to spend a thousand quid on a screen, I would advise you to go with a 120 inch ALR. However in total brightness it can be very bright. We're talking LED bright. I marvel at mine everytime I see it at night.

However, I use my UST as a TV during the day in a room with considerable ambient light. Also the SO likes having lights on in the evening so the ALR screen is ideal in my case. But the value-add is questionable in a completely light - controlled room.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

#1,388 ·
Thanks for the advice Monakh! Im only ever going to use this at night so I might actually see how I get on with the projector first and if required i'll have to get a 120-inch ALR screen I guess! The ones in the UK though seem so much more pricey! It has to be a retractile/pull down screen too as otherwise wife would divorce me.

#1,395 ·
Display Issues

Morning / Afternoon all,

I've started to experence an issue where the projector will turn on, but no logo is displayed.

the lamp will turn on, but no logo.

the system boots up, as I'm able to reboot using the remote.

After a few reboots, the projector screen will correctly work, and it will work flawlessly.

I thought it might be a buggered firmware update, so I've reinstalled the firmware, as well as downgraded the firmware, and it still happens :(

what gets me, as noted, after a few reboots it will work fine.

anyone else experience something like this?

#1,396 ·
Morning / Afternoon all,

I've started to experence an issue where the projector will turn on, but no logo is displayed.

the lamp will turn on, but no logo.

the system boots up, as I'm able to reboot using the remote.

After a few reboots, the projector screen will correctly work, and it will work flawlessly.

I thought it might be a buggered firmware update, so I've reinstalled the firmware, as well as downgraded the firmware, and it still happens :(

what gets me, as noted, after a few reboots it will work fine.

anyone else experience something like this?

i have encountered this before as well, apparently its a common problem, time to upgrade to A300 lol

#1,399 ·
How do you guys position the center channel speaker and UST projector such as MIJIA on the same media center stand?
I was worried about this too, but I have a 120" XY screen and there's room behind the projector (Fengmi 4K Cinema in my case and which sits 3 inches off the floor) for my Polk Center right behind it. It can't go much higher though without blocking the projected image. My speaker is flipped so it aims up towards the listener.

#1,401 ·
#1,404 ·
I have just published my test of the Xiaomi UST 4K projector, you will find at the end of the French text the complete English translation with the method to change the menus from Chinese to English and also my calibration values. Enjoy your reading.

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/bl...19/test-xiaomi-laser-ust-4k-lavis-de-gregory/

Watch this and pretend Luke Skywalker is saying "We can never get the native contrast of this 0.47" DLP DMD up to decent levels":

Quote (bold Highlight mine): "Anyway, let’s come back to my surprise. Indeed, I have been plagued for several months by the contrast regression observed on DLP projectors equipped with Texas Instrument’s 0.47 chip, with average measurements of 300 to 500:1 at best, which means poor values. I don’t know how the engineers who developed this projector did it, but the promises of native contrast (with the right colors) are kept. They range from 2500:1 to 2700:1. This is excellent and is reflected in the image with dense and detailed blacks, supported by an Ansi contrast that borders on 500:1 (490:1). The activation of the dynamic contrast brings little Evolution."

I'm still confused, how did this Chinese company accomplish that feat considered to be impossible or at least improbable?

The other DLP projector manufacturers better have a look into this. My plans to purchase a classic DLP front projector before the end of the year just vanished into thin air.

Looks as if Xiaomi just set a benchmark for native DLP contrast with the 0.47" DMD, kudos!

#1,402 ·
https://www.facebook.com/XxDrAg0nxX/media_set?set=a.10162096967560612&type=3

Lumens: 5000 vs 9000 (brighter in daylight)
Worth the upgrade, the Xiaomi one the bright images like clouds and explosions cannot see detail, only the Appotronics Wemax Singapore wemax A300 can.

Contrast: 3000 vs 4000 (can see more details in dark scenes and bright scenes)
Colour wise the representation also better, skin tones more accurate cos can see 33% more colour contrast!
Even the dark scenes, the Xiaomi one cannot see half the face so dark, the A300 one can see properly as intended

Fan noise: 44db vs 38db ( big difference in quiet scenes )
Then more importantly the noise from the fan, 6db points lower, the same quiet scenes not affected much, I don’t have a good mic to record it so you have to trust me it’s big difference, like a vacuum cleaner on Low and high.

#1,403 ·
No chance that the Wemax will reach 9000 lumens, the Xiaomi 4K will reach almost 1700 lumens, far from the 5000 announced.

#1,406 ·
Unlikely, the second gen 0.47" DMD (without the lightframe) is aboard the latest BenQ projectors and the max. native contrast gets close to 1,000:1 according to kraine's tests.

Perhaps there is something in the light path, perhaps Xiaomi is applying light absorbing Vantablack somewhere on the inside?

Heck, I'd definitely like to know.

#1,419 ·
Has anyone been able to get 3D working from a PC at 1920x1080 24, 30, or 60 hz? I'm using an Intel UHD 630 and according to Display Settings and Cybermedia PowerDVD 16-19 it is only available in 1280x720 @ 60hz!

I need to know if another video card by AMD or Nvidia would help or if it's just a limitation of the projector. Thanks in Advance.

#1,422 ·
Not what you're looking for, but an easy way to look for HDR is if the Display settings menu gets more white than blue. In SDR it's a nice dark royal blue. Of course if you've messed with the Custom Colors settings above 1024 it will change the color of that menu.

Another way to tell if HDR is on: When you turn off Dynamic Color the picture should get more RED and turning it on will yield a more GREEN picture.

#1,435 ·
That's what we have been discussing in the last few posts. If you set it in the settings to load to HMDI 1 for example the only thing you will see is the Mi loading screen then the next thing you see is in my case the Xbox green loading screen. The only time i see any chineese is if i need to go into the setting menu.

You can root it to achieve the same outcome but if you use apple tv / fire stick or Xbox etc once its set up to load to a specific HDMI you would have no idea that you have a chineese product. Its the easiest solution unless you feel comfortable with rooting the projector.

#1,436 ·
I calibrated in front of the projector, the screen has an influence so if you have a yellow tint reduce the green level.