Brightest Battery Powered Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Brightest Battery Powered Projector

I'm needing a portable projector for product knowledge short seminars. Usually 30-45min long, and in a room with lots of ambient light...I need something bright, no cord and that can playback a power point presentation without a PC.

I'm down to these 3 models...

-AAXA M6 Portable Projector
Pro: 1080P, 1200 lumens
Con: No keystone

-Dell M318WL
Pro: Small
Con: Is 500 lumens enough for my intended use?, not 1080p

-LG PF50KA
Pro: Small, 1920x1080
Con: Is 600 lumens enough for my intended use?

With Lumens count, is the AAXA really x2 brighter than the LG PF50KA?

Are there any other battery powered projectors that are worth comparing? Price is important, but I can spend up to $1000 for this.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
None of these are going to work if your intent is to present in a lit room. You need about 80 advertised lumens per square foot of screen space. A 100" diagonal is about 50 square feet, so about 4,000 lumens is a MINIMUM advertised requirement for presentation in any room under standard florescent lighting.

What you need is a power cord.

On top of which, Microsoft products generally aren't built into projectors. You should plan on bringing an appropriate laptop with Office installed. Some newer products have some capability, but when Microsoft updates, there is no guaranty the projector will update as well.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
A 100" diagonal is about 50 square feet, so about 4,000 lumens
Small correction.

100” 16:9 is 49x88=4,312/144=29.9 sq ft x80= 2,400 lumens.

130" = 50 sq ft

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

I agree we may go the power cord route...

I'm only looking for a 50-60" screen if that helps. So my lumens could be less, correct?

Anything brighter that is battery powered though? Or are the 3 I mentioned the best options?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Only 50"-60"? That's no problem for the M6 on battery power, it is just about bright enough for 50"-60" screen with office lighting. I'm assuming that means you're presenting to small groups like 4 or 6 people with your own pop-up portable screen. If there's fluorescent lighting there's usually a power outlet anyway to boost the lumens and you'll be okay even at 75". Now, with the lights out, 50"-60" with your own tabletop screen is probably well more than bright enough, almost as bright as a flat panel TV. The ability to prop one up in any remote location, cafe, reserved room, etc, can possibly outweigh the power cord depending on what your use case is -- are you going to be presenting in remote locations with your tabletop screens with just a small circle of 6 or 8 people at a cafeteria-style table or other power-inconvenient locations?

I personally have the AAXA P300, which is dimmer than the M6 but actually is extremely bright by pico projector standards -- when plugged in, it is brighter than my old NEC XG135 CRT projector. More light output in 1 pound than a 100 pound CRT!

My experience is that the new multi-hundred-lumen battery powered projectors are adequate for impromptu presentations. They work excellently in cafe lighting (e.g. at the end of a reserved table) as well as slightly dimmed conference room (doesn't have to be full dark).

Be noted that the light output of most battery projectors (including P300 and the M6) is roughly halved on battery power.

Or ... One alternative is simply to be armed with both a cheap full powered 3000-4000 lumen light cannon projector (plug in) as well as the cheap 400 lumen Android projector like the AAXA P300 Neo Smart Android (not the Neo non-Smart), you can find the Neo Smart for approximately 300ish or thereabouts. Which leaves enough money to buy a cheap plug-in light cannon. Two projectors for the price of one AAXA M6! Use the corded for the bright lighting situations and use the cordless for those dimmer/untethered "field situations". Next, install the official Microsoft PowerPoint viewer from the Google Play Android store on the P300 Neo Smart, the 400 lumens Android battery powered projector, and you can playback any presentations without a laptop in a projector that's pocket size but powerful enough to display a 50-60 inch if you've got the ability to turn off the lights. It becomes a usable emergency backup projector when your corded projector fails too, since the P300 Neo Smart is only 1 pound yet 400 lumens is enough for 50-60" with the light switch turned off as long there aren't windows on a sunny day. Brightness of 50-60 inch is quite impressive when the lights are turned off.

I've got the P300 ancestor, I almost wish I had the "Neo Smart" edition with Android on the 1-pounder for all the yummy streaming apps off Google Play to my heart's content without needing a Fire TV Stick.

P.S. Beyond presentations, I highly recommend these 400 lumen battery Android+WiFi projectors for outdoor/campground Netflix streaming (i.e. streamed through your smartphone via WiFi Sharing).

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.BlurBusters.com - Everything Better Than 60Hz(tm)

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 02-06-2019 at 11:23 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Our Optoma LH150 is 1300 lumens, battery powered. Gets up to 2.5 hours in Eco, about 1.5 hours in bright mode iirc.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-07-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
None of these are going to work if your intent is to present in a lit room. You need about 80 advertised lumens per square foot of screen space. A 100" diagonal is about 50 square feet, so about 4,000 lumens is a MINIMUM advertised requirement for presentation in any room under standard florescent lighting.

What you need is a power cord.

On top of which, Microsoft products generally aren't built into projectors. You should plan on bringing an appropriate laptop with Office installed. Some newer products have some capability, but when Microsoft updates, there is no guaranty the projector will update as well.

Or you could have answered with "gee, I don't know" as there appear to be several items that fit the OPs needs.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Great info :-)

The Optoma LH150 looks tempting with more than double tge brightness than the other battery powered units I looked at...and 1080p.

When I look at plug in projectors, there seems to be about 10 million to pick from...ranging from brand names I've heard of...to names I've never heard of. Mostly the no-name ones.

With a budget of $500-1000 and going for portable "light cannon" and plug in...can I get something from a reputable brand that has 3000-4000 lumens?

Thanks for all the positive feedback! This forum is great :-)
post #9 of 11 Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

bump for portable plug in light cannon suggestions with a 3000+ lumen output :-)

There are so many choices I don't know where to start. Can anyone offer any input on what they would use should a corded model be used...but still offer easy to transport and high light output?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 92
check out some of these pico if applicable
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-lampless.html

i have an Xgimi CC portable but lumens is only for a dark room.

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

The Casio lampless look pretty cool, specifically the SLIM model.

They have 2 models that look good...
XJ-A247 and XJA252

Both are WXGA (I wish they were 1080p) and same 1280x800 resolution...but the A247 is 16:10 where the A252 is 4:3...even though both have the same resolution? How does that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page