Needing advice on first projector. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Luminated67

post #1 of 13 Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Needing advice on first projector.

I've decided to take the plunge into the projector world now that our basement living area is finished. Prior to getting the sheet rock hung, I went ahead and ran power and conduit for HDMI to the ceiling in preparation for the projector, which is roughly 12ft. from the screen wall. Based off my ceiling height, I am planning a 120-135" screen, but that isn't set in stone by any means. As for the room, it is not a dedicated theater room, and will be used as a general use area, it has white ceilings and light walls, but no exterior windows and measures roughly 24ft.x24ft with 8ft ceilings. All my setup calculation for the room were done using the Optoma UHD50 as the "planned" projector, but I'm not set on that unit. I would like to stick around the $1,500 range, but am willing to go higher if it's warranted. Primary use will be watching movies and TV, with the possibility of a game console in the future. I currently have a 4k player and AVR, so would like a 4k display but 3D isn't a must.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Sounds like the soon to be released BenQ 3550 is the perfect projector for your needs. Some early third party reviews are in the thread on this page.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 13 Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Sounds like the soon to be released BenQ 3550 is the perfect projector for your needs. Some early third party reviews are in the thread on this page.
Spec's definitely look like it will fit the bill perfectly, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Bringing this back up.

The basement is finished and am ready to purchase the projector, but wanted to check to see if the BenQ HT3550 is still the projector of choice for a roughly $1500 budget.

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 280
At 12ft, and 120-135in desired you really only have the HT3550 and Optoma UHD50 to chose from.

I would test your HDMI cable at the first opportunity. Some projectors are really fussy about long HDMI cables.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
At 12ft, and 120-135in desired you really only have the HT3550 and Optoma UHD50 to chose from.

I would test your HDMI cable at the first opportunity. Some projectors are really fussy about long HDMI cables.
120in will be the largest 16:9 screen I’ll be able to fit due to the ceiling height. The projector distance is not set at 12ft, the exit point for the HDMI conduit, as well as the power are 13ft from the screen wall and the floor trusses run perpendicular to the screen wall, so can really set the projector anywhere on the ceiling.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGuy1980 View Post
120in will be the largest 16:9 screen I’ll be able to fit due to the ceiling height. The projector distance is not set at 12ft, the exit point for the HDMI conduit, as well as the power are 13ft from the screen wall and the floor trusses run perpendicular to the screen wall, so can really set the projector anywhere on the ceiling.
Is there something that prevents a larger screen? 8Ft ceilings should allow for a somewhat larger screen.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Is there something that prevents a larger screen? 8Ft ceilings should allow for a somewhat larger screen.
Nothing that is fixed. It is wired for the audio equipment to go under the screen and the top of the outlets are right at 20in off the floor. I had planned on building a 24in tall cabinet to house the center channel as well as the electronics, which leaves me 68in of wall height left. I could possibly go a bit shorter on the cabinet to get a bit more screen, but would have to set it off the wall some to be able to route wires if it goes below the wall plates.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 494
In a projector setup the least desirable place for the AV equipment is under the screen but unfortunately if you have all ready wired for it you are most likely stuck with it. If you can move the projector back a little bit an Epson 4010 might be a good choice. Being height limited and with movies a priority a 2:35 screen might be more desirable and only the Epson would support it with its power lens memory. If still fixed on a 16:9 screen the BenQ is still a good choice.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #10 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
I've decided to take the plunge into the projector world now that our basement living area is finished. Prior to getting the sheet rock hung, I went ahead and ran power and conduit for HDMI to the ceiling in preparation for the projector, which is roughly 12ft. from the screen wall. Based off my ceiling height, I am planning a 120-135" screen, but that isn't set in stone by any means. As for the room, it is not a dedicated theater room, and will be used as a general use area, it has white ceilings and light walls, but no exterior windows and measures roughly 24ft.x24ft with 8ft ceilings. All my setup calculation for the room were done using the Optoma UHD50 as the "planned" projector, but I'm not set on that unit. I would like to stick around the $1,500 range, but am willing to go higher if it's warranted. Primary use will be watching movies and TV, with the possibility of a game console in the future. I currently have a 4k player and AVR, so would like a 4k display but 3D isn't a must.

Thanks in advance.
You haven't mentioned the outlay you are setting aside for a screen. With your colour of walls and ceiling you should really be looking at a high contrast screen like an Elite CineGrey3D/5D or possibly a Silver Ticket High Contrast screen. None of these are cheap but the improvement in black levels from any projector will outweigh the cost.
noob00224 likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #11 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
In a projector setup the least desirable place for the AV equipment is under the screen but unfortunately if you have all ready wired for it you are most likely stuck with it. If you can move the projector back a little bit an Epson 4010 might be a good choice. Being height limited and with movies a priority a 2:35 screen might be more desirable and only the Epson would support it with its power lens memory. If still fixed on a 16:9 screen the BenQ is still a good choice.
The wiring was completed with the intentions of an OLED being wall mounted, projection was decided on after the sheet rock was hung. Good news is we’re already planning the next house, so that basement will have a better setup.

I can move it back quite a bit, so will definitely look at the Epson as movies will be the primary use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
You haven't mentioned the outlay you are setting aside for a screen. With your colour of walls and ceiling you should really be looking at a high contrast screen like an Elite CineGrey3D/5D or possibly a Silver Ticket High Contrast screen. None of these are cheap but the improvement in black levels from any projector will outweigh the cost.
Had initially planned on the Silver Ticket, in either white or high contrast. I definitely don’t mind spending more if it’s justifiable.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Had initially planned on the Silver Ticket, in either white or high contrast. I definitely don’t mind spending more if it’s justifiable.
Mine is a completely blacked out room, black velour walls and ceiling plus a kickass big black rug parked in front of the screen which is why I am resisting recommending a proper high contrast projector. But if you get the right screen material this can go a long way to helping the inherent issues of poor black levels that are common with DLP projectors and projection in a room with light reflecting walls and ceilings.

One other machine worth considering with your room type is the Epson 4010, it's in your budget, does the whole upscaling to watch 4K movies etc and is a proper light cannon.

Here's a couple of reviews to read over.

https://www.avforums.com/review/epso...r-review.15848

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/epson-eh-tw7400

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #13 of 13 Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

If you are planning to move soon anyways, I would just used a painted screen with a grey paint - there are various low cost formulations that work well. I would also suggest that you look at my thread on the Viewsonic PX-747-4k projector in the deals found sub-forum. It might make a good low-cost way to begin enjoying 4K content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page