BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 449Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 780 Old 05-13-2019, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Could any of you new 5550 owners tell us what firmware version your projector is running, and also check in the Aspect Ratio menu settings to see if there is an option for letterbox or anamorphic? I had heard BenQ was working to introduce a new setting for us A-lens owners.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 780 Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,145
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Could any of you new 5550 owners tell us what firmware version your projector is running, and also check in the Aspect Ratio menu settings to see if there is an option for letterbox or anamorphic? I had heard BenQ was working to introduce a new setting for us A-lens owners.
Firmware version 1.0.0

Aspect ratio
Auto
4:3
16:9

Does anyone know the time frame of the updated firmware?
Bachelor is online now  
post #663 of 780 Old 05-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Firmware version 1.0.0

Aspect ratio
Auto
4:3
16:9

Does anyone know the time frame of the updated firmware?
Great question. My projector was sent in to support because the Keystone setting wasn't sticking. I was told there is a new firmware that is supposed to address this issue. According to Technical Support, the reason why it wasn't posted to their support site and I had to send mine in is because the projector was just launched. I have been told I should receive my projector back this week with the new firmware. If that is the case I would assume the new firmware will be posted to their site in the coming weeks. Future firmware updates are supposed to be posted to their site so PJs won't have to be shipped.

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 780 Old 05-13-2019, 10:28 PM
Newbie
 
jehnajuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
The fan noise is much quieter on the w5700. You'll be happy you upgraded. The fan is near dead quiet in smart eco and not bothersome in normal. It has a hum to it but not the sound of a fast moving fan like the ht3550. I think with the smaller size it needs to move more air or the fan is just smaller but runs louder. I have no idea but i do know the fan noise is not an issue or distraction on the w5700.
Thank you for the info, sounds good. I dont mind a hum after that HT3550 hair dryer.
jehnajuu is offline  
post #665 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 05:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
Great question. My projector was sent in to support because the Keystone setting wasn't sticking. I was told there is a new firmware that is supposed to address this issue. According to Technical Support, the reason why it wasn't posted to their support site and I had to send mine in is because the projector was just launched. I have been told I should receive my projector back this week with the new firmware. If that is the case I would assume the new firmware will be posted to their site in the coming weeks. Future firmware updates are supposed to be posted to their site so PJs won't have to be shipped.
Please let us know what they ship back as to the latest firmware version, and any notes about changes if they provide that. I check their site for any updates to HT5550 information, but I don't even see a user manual listed yet (though I already have one for the W5700 from back in March someone pointed us to).

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #666 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,356
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
My projector was sent in to support because the Keystone setting wasn't sticking.

Curious, the HT5550 features a traditional vertical (wide-range) and horizontal lens shift, why do you feel compelled to use keystone adjustments? (which will rather degrade image detail).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #667 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 06:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Could any of you new 5550 owners tell us what firmware version your projector is running, and also check in the Aspect Ratio menu settings to see if there is an option for letterbox or anamorphic? I had heard BenQ was working to introduce a new setting for us A-lens owners.


Pardon me for my ignorance! First- time projector user.
May I know what is the purpose of an Anamorphic lens? For 2.35:1?
Just thinking out loud, will the A lens helps to bring down the black level of the top and bottom bars?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cychua is offline  
post #668 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,356
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by cychua View Post
Pardon me for my ignorance! First- time projector user.
May I know what is the purpose of an Anamorphic lens? For 2.35:1?
Just thinking out loud, will the A lens helps to bring down the black level of the top and bottom bars?

The feature in question is a function that will zoom up the 2.35:1 image, so that the letterbox bars vanish and all that remains is the actual 2.35:1 image, horizontally squeezed onto the 16:9 DMD chip area (car wheels will now look like eggs). During projection the anamorphic lens will un-squeeze the image and restore its correct picture geometry.


Depending on the quality of re-scaling the image resolution on a 16:9 DMD (or other panel), one advantage is an increase in image brightness as there are no longer black bars 'obscuring' light output potential.
sage11x and cychua like this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Frank714 is offline  
post #669 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Curious, the HT5550 features a traditional vertical (wide-range) and horizontal lens shift, why do you feel compelled to use keystone adjustments? (which will rather degrade image detail).
I didn't want to use it and I still don't. What I was solving for you will see in the attached pictures. If I took my keystone to +6 the image would square up, shrink, and I would lose detail. After further tinkering, I was able to get it close to full screen by dropping the projector height from the ceiling even more and will move the projector back and remount it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT5550 Keystone +6.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2566690   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT5550 Keystone 0 Right.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	2566692   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT5550 Keystone 0 Left.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	2566694   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT5550 Keystone 0 Whole Screen.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2566696  

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #670 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question

Hello, I currently have a BenQ 3050 and I want to upgrade to my first 4k projector.
I've been looking at the 3550 and the 5550 but I faced something upsetting
My projector lens is currently mounted at 10 feet from my 120' screen, looks like I cannot achieve 120 inches from the 5550 at that distance... only with the 3550. Am I correct? I cannot move the mount because it have all the ceiling wiring close to it and there is a ceiling fan right behind the projector that kinda kills some flexibility.

Is the picture of the 5550 much better than the 3550? I can't find many reviews comparing both units... Is it worth extra $1000 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190514_140322.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	2566736  
Vinicius Watson is offline  
post #671 of 780 Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius Watson View Post
Hello, I currently have a BenQ 3050 and I want to upgrade to my first 4k projector.
I've been looking at the 3550 and the 5550 but I faced something upsetting
My projector lens is currently mounted at 10 feet from my 120' screen, looks like I cannot achieve 120 inches from the 5550 at that distance... only with the 3550. Am I correct? I cannot move the mount because it have all the ceiling wiring close to it and there is a ceiling fan right behind the projector that kinda kills some flexibility.

Is the picture of the 5550 much better than the 3550? I can't find many reviews comparing both units... Is it worth extra $1000 ?
I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get 120" from that distance. Check out the throw calculators on Projector Central: https://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

One of the reasons I chose the HT5550 was my setup was too far back for the HT3550. Kraine I believe did a comparison here: https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...us-benq-w1720/
Vinicius Watson likes this.
diablo900t is offline  
post #672 of 780 Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Have anyone a real test of the Benq W5700 then on input lag?

Then if you use gaming mode and fast mode together?

Projectors JVC NX9 :) , JVC X500, JVC RS400, Cine9
Calibrator: Software: Calman Pro
Colorimeter: Klein K10A, profiled with Spectroradiometer: Jeti 1501
Picture generator DVDO
Dj Dee is offline  
post #673 of 780 Old 05-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Couple of questions for you owners out there...


How loud is the fan in these? I currently have a JVC RS400 and I find the fan noise on low lamp acceptable. I can hear it but can live with it.


Also, is there a Chief mount plate for these by any chance?
McLuvin is offline  
post #674 of 780 Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Couple of questions for you owners out there...


How loud is the fan in these? I currently have a JVC RS400 and I find the fan noise on low lamp acceptable. I can hear it but can live with it.


Also, is there a Chief mount plate for these by any chance?
Just tested this and wrote a review and personally the JVC is more silent.

Also the standard Chief shall work fine.

Are you seriously really thinking of changing a JVC RS400 for this Benq W5700?


Here a link to my impressions.
https://translate.google.com/transla.../avnews/?p=385
Frank714 likes this.

Projectors JVC NX9 :) , JVC X500, JVC RS400, Cine9
Calibrator: Software: Calman Pro
Colorimeter: Klein K10A, profiled with Spectroradiometer: Jeti 1501
Picture generator DVDO

Last edited by Dj Dee; 05-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #675 of 780 Old 05-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
Just tested this and wrote a review and personally the JVC is more silent.

Also the standard Chief shall work fine.

Are you seriously really thinking of changing a JVC RS400 for this Benq W5700?


Here a link to my impressions.
https://translate.google.com/transla.../avnews/?p=385

Nice! Thank you! Yes... I think I would appreciate a more sharper image. The JVC is a little on the soft side.


According to your review, you used "Economic" mode to lower the fan speed. How much more silent would you say the JVC is in this regards?
McLuvin is offline  
post #676 of 780 Old 05-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on projector screen

Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy the below projector screen as I am looking to stick the projector on a tab-tensioned motorized screen place in front of a window so it must also have black back. The screen ticks these boxes, So what wondering if this screen fits with this projector if I ONLY watch it at night.





NOTE: I understand my room has lot of light but I will only watch it at night so I believe this shouldn't be a problem


Pls let me know your thoughts guys.
Thanawin Olanrawathana is offline  
post #677 of 780 Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanawin Olanrawathana View Post
Hi Guys

I'm looking to buy the below projector screen as I am looking to stick the projector on a tab-tensioned motorized screen place in front of a window so it must also have black back. The screen ticks these boxes, So what wondering if this screen fits with this projector if I ONLY watch it at night.





NOTE: I understand my room has lot of light but I will only watch it at night so I believe this shouldn't be a problem


Pls let me know your thoughts guys.
Questions...How big is the screen you are going to mount? Are you going to ceiling mount or put the projector on a table or shelf? How far back will the projector be from the screen?

Depending on screen size, you might want to see if they have one that has a higher gain i.e. 1.1 minimum.

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #678 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 02:15 AM
Member
 
russellhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
Questions...How big is the screen you are going to mount? Are you going to ceiling mount or put the projector on a table or shelf? How far back will the projector be from the screen?

Depending on screen size, you might want to see if they have one that has a higher gain i.e. 1.1 minimum.
Also, there is a whole separate subforum devoted to screens, might be better off posting in there if you haven't already.
russellhk is offline  
post #679 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanawin Olanrawathana View Post
Hi Guys



I'm looking to buy the below projector screen as I am looking to stick the projector on a tab-tensioned motorized screen place in front of a window so it must also have black back. The screen ticks these boxes, So what wondering if this screen fits with this projector if I ONLY watch it at night.











NOTE: I understand my room has lot of light but I will only watch it at night so I believe this shouldn't be a problem





Pls let me know your thoughts guys.


My thought is: I love your view.
Robert Clark likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #680 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Please let us know what they ship back as to the latest firmware version, and any notes about changes if they provide that. I check their site for any updates to HT5550 information, but I don't even see a user manual listed yet (though I already have one for the W5700 from back in March someone pointed us to).
To make a short story shorter... For my issue, a firmware fix isn't available yet. Projector will be shipped back with current firmware which is 1.0. Will see if they will share any info on any upcoming firmware releases.

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #681 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
To make a short story shorter... For my issue, a firmware fix isn't available yet. Projector will be shipped back with current firmware which is 1.0. Will see if they will share any info on any upcoming firmware releases.

Thanks, appreciate the update. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #682 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
Questions...How big is the screen you are going to mount? Are you going to ceiling mount or put the projector on a table or shelf? How far back will the projector be from the screen?

Depending on screen size, you might want to see if they have one that has a higher gain i.e. 1.1 minimum.
Hey to answer you question screen will be 120 inch celing mounted at the back, I have made calculations and at 3.6m of 1.6x lens shift its fine.

Unfortunately from their catalog this and another one both have gain 1.0. Its because there not many option with black back. You can look at the fabric list her http://www.xy-screen.com/xy_en/fabric/index.asp, for one which has back black and supports 4k.

Thanks Please do let me know if you have further thoughts.
Thanawin Olanrawathana is offline  
post #683 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanawin Olanrawathana View Post
Hey to answer you question screen will be 120 inch celing mounted at the back, I have made calculations and at 3.6m of 1.6x lens shift its fine.

Unfortunately from their catalog this and another one both have gain 1.0. Its because there not many option with black back. You can look at the fabric list her http://www.xy-screen.com/xy_en/fabric/index.asp, for one which has back black and supports 4k.

Thanks Please do let me know if you have further thoughts.
The HT5550 on a 120 inch screen will throw a nice image with good brightness in a dark room. The 3.6m is with max zoom and measured from the center of the lense. The center of the lense will have to be 3.6m back from the screen, which means the back of the projector will be 3.94 meters from the screen. If you can put the center of the lense a little farther back than 3.6m you will not has to use all of the zoom. Just keep in mind the air flow recommendation is 50 cm from walls.

This projector doesn't seem to like to be mounted higher than the screen. Depending on your ceiling height you may have to get a longer pole mount to lower the projector closer to the middle of the screen.

For the screen material post that question in the other forum. They may have some better feedback for you.

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #684 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 04:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Thanks, appreciate the update. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
So about the firmware... US Benq isn't aware of firmware coming, they don't drive the development cycle the HQ does. Which means they could be working on an update in Taiwan (Benq HQ). If there is anyone in Taiwan who could call support there and let us know, that would be awesome. I asked about Anamorphic support. Not aware that it is going to be supported on the HT5550 like it is on the higher end Benq PJs.

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #685 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
So about the firmware... US Benq isn't aware of firmware coming, they don't drive the development cycle the HQ does. Which means they could be working on an update in Taiwan (Benq HQ). If there is anyone in Taiwan who could call support there and let us know, that would be awesome. I asked about Anamorphic support. Not aware that it is going to be supported on the HT5550 like it is on the higher end Benq PJs.
Huh? I guess you're saying that US BenQ is not aware of the entire firmware side of things? That sounds odd to say the least; and anamorphic support (vertical stretch and horizontal compression) has been around a long time on the low end projectors... like my current W1070.

@sage11x or @scottyroo , can either of you provide any clarity on this?

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #686 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Huh? I guess you're saying that US BenQ is not aware of the entire firmware side of things? That sounds odd to say the least; and anamorphic support (vertical stretch and horizontal compression) has been around a long time on the low end projectors... like my current W1070.

@sage11x or @scottyroo , can either of you provide any clarity on this?
I am saying at this time they are not aware of new firmware being released. I am referring to Anamorphic support as in support for the Panamorph lenses on the HT5550.

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Motion 12 || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #687 of 780 Old 05-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
I am saying at this time they are not aware of new firmware being released. I am referring to Anamorphic support as in support for the Panamorph lenses on the HT5550.

I hear you, VC support with the newer Panamorph lenses. Some of us are looking for the vertical stretch for our earlier lenses. Thanks for that update.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #688 of 780 Old 05-18-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Huh? I guess you're saying that US BenQ is not aware of the entire firmware side of things? That sounds odd to say the least; and anamorphic support (vertical stretch and horizontal compression) has been around a long time on the low end projectors... like my current W1070.

@sage11x or @scottyroo, can either of you provide any clarity on this?
Scott's on point on the HT5550-- My only experience is the limited time I got with it at the BenQ launch event in NY-- but I can ask.


As for BenQ US not knowing about incoming firmware-- that's simply not accurate from what I've seen. One of the really positive things I've noticed in my dealings with BenQ is the company appears to have excellent internal communications. I've often asked questions or given feedback and received answers mere hours later which means BenQ has a very open line between those that design and engineer the product and those that market the product.


As for the A lens mode-- I never owned a W1070 but I can tell you none of the other models I've reviewed from them have had a anamorphic mode. The HT2050 had a mode that was confused as an anamorphic mode but it actually isn't. The 'letterbox' aspect is not actually intended for an A lens and it's a poor fit as it actually clips off the top and bottom edges of the picture. From the manual:
Scales a picture to fit the projector’s native
resolution in its horizontal width and resizes the
picture height to the 3/4 of the projection width.
This makes a picture greater than the screen height.
The top and bottom edges of the displayed picture
are cropped. This suits the contents which are
produced in letter box format (with black bars on
the top and bottom).




I believe @dreamer discussed this at length in his review of the HT2050A

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #689 of 780 Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Keith AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Scott's on point on the HT5550-- My only experience is the limited time I got with it at the BenQ launch event in NY-- but I can ask.

As for BenQ US not knowing about incoming firmware-- that's simply not accurate from what I've seen. One of the really positive things I've noticed in my dealings with BenQ is the company appears to have excellent internal communications. I've often asked questions or given feedback and received answers mere hours later which means BenQ has a very open line between those that design and engineer the product and those that market the product.

As for the A lens mode-- I never owned a W1070 but I can tell you none of the other models I've reviewed from them have had a anamorphic mode. The HT2050 had a mode that was confused as an anamorphic mode but it actually isn't. The 'letterbox' aspect is not actually intended for an A lens and it's a poor fit as it actually clips off the top and bottom edges of the picture. From the manual:
Scales a picture to fit the projector’s native
resolution in its horizontal width and resizes the
picture height to the 3/4 of the projection width.
This makes a picture greater than the screen height.
The top and bottom edges of the displayed picture
are cropped. This suits the contents which are
produced in letter box format (with black bars on
the top and bottom).

I believe @dreamer discussed this at length in his review of the HT2050A
There's obviously some confusion here - this is the same quoted information you'll find in the W1070 manual. The first part of the description is generically referring to the full 16:9 image being resized. You will lose content top and bottom in all cases - but the letterbox image is a special case with black bars top and bottom that you intend to lose.

The Letterbox mode "suits the contents which are produced in letter box format". It stretches the letterbox image vertically to fill the screen while leaving the horizontal width as is (which is want you require for a horizontal expansion lens like the earlier, non vertical compression Panamorph's). Now, the BenQ doesn't do this 100% accurately as dreamer correctly stated in his review (1.28 versus 1.33), but it's close. On a 2.35 screen 45" tall, it leaves black bars of .65" top and bottom, but it doesn't lose any content. Adjusting the image slightly larger to spill over onto a velvet frame can remove these thin black bars if you choose.

It really is not correct stating that "The 'letterbox' aspect is not actually intended for an A lens and it's a poor fit as it actually clips off the top and bottom edges of the picture." The point of providing this mode is to accommodate an A-lens with horizontal expansion of the image. It has been around for years on the W1070 and now, we see exists on the 2050. I would guess possibly other earlier units as well. We have been taking advantage of this feature for years.

So, this is what some of us are looking for from BenQ on the HT3550 and HT5550; call it what you like, but an aspect mode that vertically stretches the image (letterbox with black bars) so that the black bars are removed, and our existing A-lens setups will expand the image horizontally to fit our scope screens.

If yourself or Scotty can follow up with BenQ maybe they can be convinced to provide the feature once again. I will say that I have sent two emails to BenQ support asking about this missing aspect setting over the past couple months - but sadly they have not replied to either.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Keith AP is offline  
post #690 of 780 Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
There's obviously some confusion here - this is the same quoted information you'll find in the W1070 manual. The first part of the description is generically referring to the full 16:9 image being resized. You will lose content top and bottom in all cases - but the letterbox image is a special case with black bars top and bottom that you intend to lose.

The Letterbox mode "suits the contents which are produced in letter box format". It stretches the letterbox image vertically to fill the screen while leaving the horizontal width as is (which is want you require for a horizontal expansion lens like the earlier, non vertical compression Panamorph's). Now, the BenQ doesn't do this 100% accurately as dreamer correctly stated in his review (1.28 versus 1.33), but it's close. On a 2.35 screen 45" tall, it leaves black bars of .65" top and bottom, but it doesn't lose any content. Adjusting the image slightly larger to spill over onto a velvet frame can remove these thin black bars if you choose.

It really is not correct stating that "The 'letterbox' aspect is not actually intended for an A lens and it's a poor fit as it actually clips off the top and bottom edges of the picture." The point of providing this mode is to accommodate an A-lens with horizontal expansion of the image. It has been around for years on the W1070 and now, we see exists on the 2050. I would guess possibly other earlier units as well. We have been taking advantage of this feature for years.

So, this is what some of us are looking for from BenQ on the HT3550 and HT5550; call it what you like, but an aspect mode that vertically stretches the image (letterbox with black bars) so that the black bars are removed, and our existing A-lens setups will expand the image horizontally to fit our scope screens.

If yourself or Scotty can follow up with BenQ maybe they can be convinced to provide the feature once again. I will say that I have sent two emails to BenQ support asking about this missing aspect setting over the past couple months - but sadly they have not replied to either.


The issue I have with that statement and the reason I say the old ‘letterbox’ aspect is not intended for anamorphic widescreen is BenQ has packaged several of their other projectors with an ‘anamorphic’ aspect ratio that does perform the correct stretch. The HT6050, HT8050, HT9050 and the current HT9060 all feature an ‘anamorphic’ aspect ratio.

This is taken from the Ht6050’s manual which is the oldest of the models that I can confirm had the feature:
“Anamo. 2.35:1: Vertical stretch image to fit anamorphic lens. Keep the native resolution in its horizontal width and resizes the resolution in its vertical height to 1.321875 times of the original image.
Anamo. 16:9: Horizontal squeeze image to fit anamorphic lens.Keep the native resolution in its vertical height and resizes the resolution in its horizontal width to 0.7565 times of the original image”

But I can certainly understand wanting it— at least for the HT5550. I can’t imagine too many Ht3550 owners missing this feature but who knows? I’ll definitely reach out and get back with you.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off