BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 606Likes

post #721 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello,

I just bought a W5700 after reading reviews and here and there : thank you all for your work, reviews and videos are so useful when we have to choose a projector.

I'm very happy with image quality, it's a big upgrade from my previous projector (w1070+).

However after 30 minutes or so the dynamic iris started to make a grinding noise, like some of you said.
There is a video from another forum showing this, mine do the exact same noise :

youtube.com/watch?v=y0fNdWM-zhk
youtube.com/watch?v=qnIX4GTiz3s

(no links because I don't have enough posts).

Can someone confirm that their W5700 with dynamic iris on don't do this noise at all ?
Has someone got a replacement from benq for this problem ? If yes, did the replacement fixed the problem ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFR View Post
Hello,

I just bought a W5700 after reading reviews and here and there : thank you all for your work, reviews and videos are so useful when we have to choose a projector.

I'm very happy with image quality, it's a big upgrade from my previous projector (w1070+).

However after 30 minutes or so the dynamic iris started to make a grinding noise, like some of you said.
There is a video from another forum showing this, mine do the exact same noise :

Can someone confirm that their W5700 with dynamic iris on don't do this noise at all ?
Has someone got a replacement from benq for this problem ? If yes, did the replacement fixed the problem ?

A noisy iris will be replaced by benQ for free under warranty. Benq has a firmware update for the iris inbound— one that is unfortunately not user upgradeable— to address the pumping/flicker complaint by adding user adjustable settings to the iris beyond a simple on/off. If you can wait I might hold off on sending your projector in until the new firmware is ready. That way you can send it in once for both the update and the replacement iris.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #723 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
A noisy iris will be replaced by benQ for free under warranty. Benq has a firmware update for the iris inbound— one that is unfortunately not user upgradeable— to address the pumping/flicker complaint by adding user adjustable settings to the iris beyond a simple on/off. If you can wait I might hold off on sending your projector in until the new firmware is ready. That way you can send it in once for both the update and the replacement iris.
There is one good thing about these 'early' issues, for those of us looking for a backup projector, it increases the likelihood of B-stock / refurb units. I ordered an ht3550 and it got totaled by UPS, so I had to send it back as the thing had physical damage and would not start up correctly. Now I'm re-assessing what I should do, hence since I have a second 'try', it kind of makes you question the first decision. Human nature I suppose.

I actually wanted more of an ht5550 (maybe as a refurb when they come in stock), but I don't think I can 'force fit' it into my room with the longer throw. Only the 3550 fits, guess the 3550 will have to do then I suppose.

I'm looking to sell my perfectly working Benq w7000 (if anyone needs a 1080p projector, hit me up, lol)...
I still use my older JVC as my primary unit, but I try to keep 2 projectors active. I'm going to replace the JVC in a year or two as well with another JVC.
sage11x likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-02-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Hello,

YES! Mine is making the same noise. It's very distracting with watching dimly lit scenes when it is every other second. My two workarounds until it's fixed is to turn up the volume or switch to smart eco instead of normal lamp and suffer a higher black.

I'm anxiously waiting for the iris updates.
post #725 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
YES! Mine is making the same noise. It's very distracting with watching dimly lit scenes when it is every other second. My two workarounds until it's fixed is to turn up the volume or switch to smart eco instead of normal lamp and suffer a higher black.

How about the louder noise starting at 10 second mark in the following video? Occurs when switching HDR on/off or engaging WCG.

post #726 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengsu15 View Post
Quote:

How about the louder noise starting at 10 second mark in the following video? Occurs when switching HDR on/off or engaging WCG.

Yes those are similar sounds I'm used to hearing.
post #727 of 1142 Old 06-02-2019, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi! I'm interested in the HT5550 as long as the issues are fixed.

Can anyone compare the HT5550's black levels (when the iris is turned off) to the Optoma HD33/HD3300? I'd likely upgrade to the HT5550 if the non-iris black levels are as good as my HD3300 (which aren't that great, but acceptable to me). Of course, if the iris action is not noticeable to me, that'd be even better but I'm interested in how the HT5550 performs without it on.

Also, how about the HT5550's 3D vs the HD33/HD3300?

Thanks in advance!
Frank714 likes this.
post #728 of 1142 Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just mounted my HT5550 today and tried running my firetv through an AVR (Yamaha 7850 which is supposed to support 4k HDR at 60FPS). The firetv is not 4k but the HT5550 did not even recognize a signal. I tried going through the menu but could not figure out which setting I needed to change. Finally, I decided to plug the HDMI cable from the projector directly into the firetv (bypassed the AVR) and video was fine. So must be something with the AVR I guess but couldn't find a setting there to fix the problem. In fact, the on-screen menu of the Yamaha TSR-7850 even had some issues on the HT5550- the video would go out for seconds at a time before displaying again. Anyone know why the HT5550 would have trouble displaying video from my AVR (both firetv and on-screen menu for the AVR)?
post #729 of 1142 Old 06-03-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Thank you sage11x for your answer.
I'll hold off on sending my projector, only one travel of the projector is better.
However, do we have a release date for the new firmware ? Because if it's 6 months, maybe I won't wait.
post #730 of 1142 Old 06-03-2019, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeena View Post
Can anyone compare the HT5550's black levels (when the iris is turned off) to the Optoma HD33/HD3300? I'd likely upgrade to the HT5550 if the non-iris black levels are as good as my HD3300 (which aren't that great, but acceptable to me). Of course, if the iris action is not noticeable to me, that'd be even better but I'm interested in how the HT5550 performs without it on.

That would be an exotic comparison as the HD33 is over seven years older. AFAIK it was using the Dark Chip 3 but native contrast of these 0.47" DMDs is not as good. I'd anticipate that with the light dimming option (the alternative to the dynamic iris) you might get similar results. Once I get the opportunity to watch the HT5550 in action, I could better comment on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeena View Post
Also, how about the HT5550's 3D vs the HD33/HD3300?

The HT5550 only supports DLP Link (the HD33 also supported Vesa 3D-RF) and AFAIK there'll be no frame interpolation for 3D program content (the HD33 featured PureMotion FI for 3D, too).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #731 of 1142 Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
New review of the HT5550 on hometheaterhifi
diablo900t likes this.
post #732 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Bachelor's reasons why he upgraded from the HT3550 to the HT5550, very insightful, IMHO.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58134586

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #733 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
With the recent review about the low DCI-P3 coverage in HDR10 mode had me curious since there have been some conflicting reviews. I'm using a Spyder5 with ChromaPure 3.1 using Diversified Video Solutions HDR test patterns.

I'm hitting 91% of the P3 in HDR10 mode with the WCG off. When the WCG is turned on I can hit 102% and could get green a bit tighter but I don't use the WCG since it drops 10 ftl and I like a brighter image hitting at 26 ftl with it off than 16 with it on.

I previously had some other comments and decided to do another pass on HDR10 CMS and glad I did.

Guys, I checked in with David Stone (who wrote our review) and we don't have a measured number in the can for %P3 with HDR10 signal active and WCG off. But given Bachelor's result I think it's worth going back to revisit this in the coming days and see if we can reconfirm our own result. What I will say is that with an HDR10 signal and WCG on we got what was reported in the review, which was 54% P3 with Brilliant Color on and 57% with BC off; SDR signals measured at the promised full gamut. I was a little surprised by this result as well but it cleared fact-check with BenQ and brought their promise of a firmware update that will improve that result. Logic would suggest that turning WCG off with the same HDR10 signal would result in even lower gamut but increased brightness, as Bachelor found in his own measurement.
diablo900t likes this.
post #734 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wanted to share some additional information and make it clear that I'm just a home theater enthusiast and not a professional reviewer with expensive calibration gear. I did have an issue with the green primary which was low even in the P3 color space until I played with the hue some more. Below are the settings that I ended up with for HDR10 mode.

Attached is the color space with the wide color on and off. The larger triangle is REC2020 for reference and the smaller triangle is DI-P3.

Brightness 50
Contrast 49
Color 50
Tint 50
Sharpness 8 (0-15 doesn't do much)
HDR Brightness -1 (i like this better to me)
Dynamic Iris on
Brilliant Color off
WCG on

Grayscale
Red Gain 102
Green Gain 100
Blue Gain 96
Red Offset 253
Green Offset 256
Blue Offset 258

Red
Hue 210
Saturation 205
Gain 200

Green
Hue 160
Saturation 200
Gain 200

Blue
Hue 200
Saturation 202
Gain 200

Yellow
Hue 211
Saturation 243
Gain 200

Cyan
Hue 145
Saturation 200
Gain 200

Magenta
Hue 185
Saturation 181
Gain 200

I tried messing with the gains but in real content it appeared off. I wonder if it has something to do with the tone mapping. I put them back to default 200.

I've recently been watching WCG on and have been very impressed even with the drop in light output. Now we just need the Dyanmic Iris firmware and I'll be in heaven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WCG off.PNG
Views:	48
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	2575770   Click image for larger version

Name:	WCG on.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	2575772  
post #735 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Many thanks to everyone for all the useful comments and feedback here. I’ve been looking at upgrading my PJ the past couple months and was torn between getting the Epson 5050UB, Optoma UHD65, JVC X790R, or BenQ HT5550 — all of which fit within my target mid-range budget. I’ve been following this thread, and after deciding to go with the BenQ, been waiting patiently for the HT5550 to get back in stock at BenQDirect since it’s been sold out for a while... I check the website multiple times a day, and noticed that one unit became available a few minutes ago, which I quickly grabbed . Now it’s down to the 7 days free shipping wait. I hope the unit I’ve ordered is free from the issues mentioned by others here. I’ll post my impressions when I get it and hook it up. I have a dedicated theatre room in my home that is as dark as a bat cave, and I will be mounting it to the ceiling, replacing my old 720p PJ. Hopefully this HT5550 will live up to the hype in all the reviews I’ve read. I’ve had to return an open-box Epson 6040 because of the noise level and because I wasn’t really impressed with it. I had bought it on a “good deal” from a local store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #736 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

In case people missed it, this was another review that shares good results of the P3 color.
post #737 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Me. Eberle’s review is up:
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #738 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
what would you buy an optoma uhd 60 (its 1600$ now) or an Benq Ht5550 (2500$), Optoma specs are very tempting (lumens, contrast,HDR) plus the price, it wont have the advanced Iris and new bells and whistles but the price difference is huge, will the HT5550 offer more (picture wise) to justify the price gap?
post #739 of 1142 Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sage, have you heard anything about when we can expect there to be stuck with the Iris fixed or when the new firmware will drop? I am getting antsy waiting for this and keep glancing at the Epson 5050 more than I would like.

I am looking to upgrade from my w1070.
post #740 of 1142 Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steger View Post
Sage, have you heard anything about when we can expect there to be stuck with the Iris fixed or when the new firmware will drop? I am getting antsy waiting for this and keep glancing at the Epson 5050 more than I would like.

I am looking to upgrade from my w1070.

On Tapatalk, your message is garbled. I’m assuming this was addressed to me? I don’t have any updates to share. As far as I know BenQ is still targeting this month. I’ll share as soon as I hear something.

The HT3550 update recently dropped and I’d judge it as a success. Simply giving us control over the speed of the iris is a big improvement. A lot of HT3550 owners like the middle iris setting. I’ve actually found the low setting to work best for myself.
Mike Butny likes this.

post #741 of 1142 Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 PM

The grinding sound on my W5700 is now worse than ever.
The image quality is great, the colors are WOW, the contrast is really not bad (great for a DLP even) with dynamic iris on ... but this sound is driving me crazy.
I don't think I can wait for the new firmware to ask for a new unit.

This is what I hear during a movie : youtube.com/watch?v=-5SujUfktAE

I cannot recommend to anyone this projector until we are sure these quality problems are 100% solved ...
post #742 of 1142 Old 06-06-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The image quality is great, the colors are WOW, the contrast is really not bad (great for a DLP even) with dynamic iris on ... but this sound is driving me crazy.

I cannot recommend to anyone this projector until we are sure these quality problems are 100% solved ...

Mine is getting delivered this Monday. I’ll see if it comes with the same firmware reported here or generates similar noises.

post #743 of 1142 Old 06-06-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What were you watching so i can compare? I think mine is worse than that.
post #744 of 1142 Old 06-06-2019, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

That's not right. The only noise should be when the filter engages, then in operation it should be silent. Your's sir will need to be replaced.
Mike Butny likes this.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #745 of 1142 Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
What were you watching so i can compare? I think mine is worse than that.
Argo, end credits.
But it happened many times, after 20 minutes at least.

Yesterday I wanted to capture it, so I started a movie at a scene that had this problem a lot (John Wick, when the policeman is at John's house) : no problem at all.
So it appears after a certain amount of time, and get worse and worse ...
post #746 of 1142 Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Unacceptable and super annoying. Sure hope this gets worked out.
post #747 of 1142 Old 06-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I got my HT5550 towards the end of April, and it hasn't made any sounds like that.
LVS and Mike Butny like this.
post #748 of 1142 Old 06-07-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Quote:

Yeah, that's annoying. I would have sent it back the same day I received it. If all of the W5700 sounds like that Benq should be embarrassed that they even released it to the public.

Edit: I saw others reply and it sounds like you have a defective product.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #749 of 1142 Old 06-07-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2494
Has anyone upgraded from a W6000/W7000? If so how do the black levels compare?

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #750 of 1142 Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Native contrast of 675:1 is pretty bad compare to few years older DC3 chip. My old Optoma HD83 contrast ratio without iris is around 1400:1. Although 4K and HDR color is the plus. I read that Xiaomi latest 4K UST laser projector native contrast is 2000+:1 which I think using the same chip so I believe Benq should be able to do better in native contrast.
zora likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page