BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 488Likes

post #751 of 880 Old 06-08-2019, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Yeah, that's annoying. I would have sent it back the same day I received it. If all of the W5700 sounds like that Benq should be embarrassed that they even released it to the public.

Edit: I saw others reply and it sounds like you have a defective product.
I've returned it. We'll see how it goes !
Mike Butny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 880 Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post
Native contrast of 675:1 is pretty bad compare to few years older DC3 chip. My old Optoma HD83 contrast ratio without iris is around 1400:1. Although 4K and HDR color is the plus. I read that Xiaomi latest 4K UST laser projector native contrast is 2000+:1 which I think using the same chip so I believe Benq should be able to do better in native contrast.
In hindsight, the DarkChip3 DMD was a milestone, agreed.

But it is my understanding, that native contrast performance already became underwhelming with the UHD XPR 0.66" DMD, that we reached an all time "low" with last years 0.47" DMDs which fortunately have been 'corrected' and updated with the latest 0.47" DMDs. Don't know about the Xiaomi, but at least it seems BenQ is aware of the contrast issue (blame it on Texas Instruments!) and therefore offers either dynamic lamp dimming or dynamic iris operation to improve this situation.

As a fellow HD83 aficionado and user my prime interest / hope with the 5700 is to a) improve projection image sharpness (not the HD83's strongest suit) and b) image brightness.

I will keep my HD83 for 3D-RF (and to be able to use Frame Interpolation for my 3D Blu-rays) but wonder how the FI of the W5700 performs in comparison for 2D program content (only).

Unfortunately, FI is rather new for BenQ projectors. For me it has to be equal to the FI performance of my old HD83, at least.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #753 of 880 Old 06-11-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Same here. I'm actively looking for sharp 4K projector with wide color gamut to replace my aging HD83. But the low native contrast which I believe also lower ANSI contrast might cause the image not as pop as DC3 chip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 880 Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked: 2579
BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
In hindsight, the DarkChip3 DMD was a milestone, agreed.

But it is my understanding, that native contrast performance already became underwhelming with the UHD XPR 0.66" DMD, that we reached an all time "low" with last years 0.47" DMDs which fortunately have been 'corrected' and updated with the latest 0.47" DMDs. Don't know about the Xiaomi, but at least it seems BenQ is aware of the contrast issue (blame it on Texas Instruments!) and therefore offers either dynamic lamp dimming or dynamic iris operation to improve this situation.

As a fellow HD83 aficionado and user my prime interest / hope with the 5700 is to a) improve projection image sharpness (not the HD83's strongest suit) and b) image brightness.

I will keep my HD83 for 3D-RF (and to be able to use Frame Interpolation for my 3D Blu-rays) but wonder how the FI of the W5700 performs in comparison for 2D program content (only).

Unfortunately, FI is rather new for BenQ projectors. For me it has to be equal to the FI performance of my old HD83, at least.

Technically, the old .47” DMD and the new .47” DMD have the exact same contrast potential. The only thing that changed was the pond of mirrors shrunk which in turn shrunk the light frame around the image. Pixel pitch and mirror tilt is identical between the two and, as far as I know, the part number remained the same. Quick note: the DLP470TE (.47 4X shift) and DLP660TE (.66 2X shift) also have the same 5.4 micron pitch and 17 degree +/- tilt angle as part of TI’s new TRP pixel architecture. The .47 1080p DMd is also a TRP chipset. The older .65 1080p DC3 used in some of the more popular 1080p models (like the Ht2050A) uses a larger pixel pitch combined with a shallower tilt angle.

While I’m sure the light frame was not helping with contrast/blacks, according to BenQ it wasn’t a direct cause for the poor contrast of those first generation DLP470TE 4K projectors.

From what I understand the Ht3550 and HT5550’s improvement in contrast comes down to three things: an optimized light path with all glass optics that absorb and reflect less light, the dynamic iris and, perhaps the unsung hero, improved HDR tone and gamut mapping.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #755 of 880 Old 06-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
which is latest firmware version of HT5550.
post #756 of 880 Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So my HT5550 arrived yesterday. I would say it indeed meets my expectations in terms of quality look-and-feel, placement flexibility, and image brightness and clarity.

Not as heavy (or noisy) as my Epson 5040 but with a slightly sharper image detail.

Firmware is 1.0.0. So I guess I’ll need to be ship this to BenQ at some point when the HT5550 update is available.

Couple of issues I’ve noticed, mostly already reported here, I think:

(1.) Noticeable grinding noise when the PJ is (a.) first powering on, and (b.) Auto Iris mode is engaged as scenes change, with visible changes in contrast level. This is somewhat annoying and I’ve had to turn off Auto Iris of mode.

(2.) When toggling between the various modes using the Motion Enhancer button on the remote, the screen divides into two noticeable segments and will only return to normal if the PJ is power cycled.

Hopefully the Update fixes these issues. Otherwise, I’m loving this PJ. 4K image looks amazingly clear. I’m yet to test 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #757 of 880 Old 06-11-2019, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Technically, the old .47” DMD and the new .47” DMD have the exact same contrast potential. The only thing that changed was the pond of mirrors shrunk which in turn shrunk the light frame around the image. Pixel pitch and mirror tilt is identical between the two and, as far as I know, the part number remained the same. Quick note: the DLP470TE (.47 4X shift) and DLP660TE (.66 2X shift) also have the same 5.4 micron pitch and 17 degree +/- tilt angle as part of TI’s new TRP pixel architecture. The .47 1080p DMd is also a TRP chipset. The older .65 1080p DC3 used in some of the more popular 1080p models (like the Ht2050A) uses a larger pixel pitch combined with a shallower tilt angle.

While I’m sure the light frame was not helping with contrast/blacks, according to BenQ it wasn’t a direct cause for the poor contrast of those first generation DLP470TE 4K projectors.

From what I understand the Ht3550 and HT5550’s improvement in contrast comes down to three things: an optimized light path with all glass optics that absorb and reflect less light, the dynamic iris and, perhaps the unsung hero, improved HDR tone and gamut mapping.
Any word on a 4K .95 chip? I loved the sharpness on my old W5000 that the .95 chip produced.
sage11x likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 PSA S3600I'S, and 2 UM18-22/iNUKE6000DSP DIY subs.
post #758 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any word on a 4K .95 chip? I loved the sharpness on my old W5000 that the .95 chip produced.

Not that I know of. And when you say you’d like a larger chip, are you referring to a .95” chip with a native 4K resolution, or one that uses pixel shift?

It’s an interesting question because it’s widely accepted that the performance advantage of the old .95 1080p chip was due to it’s large 10.8 micron micro mirror pitch— as opposed to the 7.56 micron pixel pitch of the .65 1080p chip. For reference the new new TRP chips (.47 / .66) use a 5.4 micron pixel pitch although the tilt angle is more aggressive rising from 12 degrees to 17 degrees.

Both the .47 and .66 4K DMDs use the exact same TRP pixel (mirror) structure. The only difference is the native resolution and the number of shifts. A native 4K DMD would likely use the same TRP tech and simply double the mirror count of the .66 DMd. I’m sure this would be possible but I have my doubts that it would result in an appreciable increase in picture quality over the .66 pixel shifter— at least, not enough to justify the increase in price the native 4K dmd would likely demand.

Of course, they could always design a new chip utilizing a new, larger micro mirror. That would be interesting: a larger DMD that still uses pixel shift but employs a larger mirror pitch— maybe something closer to the 7.5 micron mirror pitch of the .65” 1080p DMD. But, again, this seems to run counter to the trend of smaller, less expensive and more efficient. Large imaging chips require larger, more power hungry light sources and larger, more expensive optics. While I’m sure there would be buyers for a high dollar DLP, how much of a market would there be with LCOS designs offering native 4K and superior contrast? It seems to me that DLPs niche is high value projectors. Even the $9000 BenQ HT9060 (which uses the .66, btw) could be considered a value model based on the fact it uses a colorspark LED light source as opposed to the lamp it’s LCOS competitors employ.
Mike Butny likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #759 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufuoma_Arhagba View Post
So my HT5550 arrived yesterday. I would say it indeed meets my expectations in terms of quality look-and-feel, placement flexibility, and image brightness and clarity.

Not as heavy (or noisy) as my Epson 5040 but with a slightly sharper image detail.

Firmware is 1.0.0. So I guess I’ll need to be ship this to BenQ at some point when the HT5550 update is available.

Couple of issues I’ve noticed, mostly already reported here, I think:

(1.) Noticeable grinding noise when the PJ is (a.) first powering on, and (b.) Auto Iris mode is engaged as scenes change, with visible changes in contrast level. This is somewhat annoying and I’ve had to turn off Auto Iris of mode.

(2.) When toggling between the various modes using the Motion Enhancer button on the remote, the screen divides into two noticeable segments and will only return to normal if the PJ is power cycled.

Hopefully the Update fixes these issues. Otherwise, I’m loving this PJ. 4K image looks amazingly clear. I’m yet to test 3D.

This has been pretty much my experience as well. When the projector turns on, or a new picture mode engaged like HDR, there's a louder noise coming from the unit. The Auto Iris I do hear from time to time, but it's not making a grinding noise like some folks have demonstrated here.

As far as Motion Enhancer goes, I had the split screen issue before too. It seems like if you turn it on or off, and press the button multiple times it happens. The way around it is to press the button once to show the current mode, press it again to switch from Off to Low, and wait. Once the picture refreshes, then change it to Medium or High, but be sure to wait a few seconds in-between.

I reported that issue, along with changing Picture Modes crashing apps (Netflix, HBO Go) on my Nvidia Shield to BenQ last month. Hopefully these things will be fixed with subsequent firmware updates.
post #760 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
This has been pretty much my experience as well. When the projector turns on, or a new picture mode engaged like HDR, there's a louder noise coming from the unit. The Auto Iris I do hear from time to time, but it's not making a grinding noise like some folks have demonstrated here.

As far as Motion Enhancer goes, I had the split screen issue before too. It seems like if you turn it on or off, and press the button multiple times it happens. The way around it is to press the button once to show the current mode, press it again to switch from Off to Low, and wait. Once the picture refreshes, then change it to Medium or High, but be sure to wait a few seconds in-between.

I reported that issue, along with changing Picture Modes crashing apps (Netflix, HBO Go) on my Nvidia Shield to BenQ last month. Hopefully these things will be fixed with subsequent firmware updates.
How would you describe the noise other than grinding? Mine is making a noise and have sent the audio to BenQ support to see if they will RMA it. But the fact that it still makes noise during scene changes leads me to believe the noise I'm hearing might be normal. I just think everyone has different expectations so it's hard to know what is a real problem and what is normal. I'll see what BenQ says about it after they listen.
post #761 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops2 View Post
How would you describe the noise other than grinding? Mine is making a noise and have sent the audio to BenQ support to see if they will RMA it. But the fact that it still makes noise during scene changes leads me to believe the noise I'm hearing might be normal. I just think everyone has different expectations so it's hard to know what is a real problem and what is normal. I'll see what BenQ says about it after they listen.
I owned an Epson 2045, and to me, the BenQ Iris didn't sound much different. I do remember being annoyed by the Iris on the Epson and turning it off, but it was a different environment entirely. What I'd classify as grinding sounds are some of the YouTube videos folks have posted here, they sound much harsher than what I'd describe my starting / HDR mode sounds to be, which are more of a loud whirring sound that lasts maybe a second. The iris adjusting is generally less than a second, and is kind of a whirring / fluttering sound, but it doesn't sound like something grinding or grating when it happens.
DunMunro likes this.
post #762 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I'd describe the iris noise as a rattling sound. It like rattles when the iris moves. Almost like vibrates after the iris adjusts.

Last edited by teachsac; 06-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #763 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I'd describe the iris noise as a rattling sound. It like rattles when the iris moves. Almost like vibrates after the iris adjusts.
Not sure why, but this message comes though with a lot of extra characters and missing letters.
post #764 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Not sure why, but this message comes though with a lot of extra characters and missing letters.
There is another poster, MJ DOOM, who is having the same issue. The "s" is generating the extra characters. I don't know what these posters have in common.
post #765 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not that I know of. And when you say you’d like a larger chip, are you referring to a .95” chip with a native 4K resolution, or one that uses pixel shift?

It’s an interesting question because it’s widely accepted that the performance advantage of the old .95 1080p chip was due to it’s large 10.8 micron micro mirror pitch— as opposed to the 7.56 micron pixel pitch of the .65 1080p chip. For reference the new new TRP chips (.47 / .66) use a 5.4 micron pixel pitch although the tilt angle is more aggressive rising from 12 degrees to 17 degrees.

Both the .47 and .66 4K DMDs use the exact same TRP pixel (mirror) structure. The only difference is the native resolution and the number of shifts. A native 4K DMD would likely use the same TRP tech and simply double the mirror count of the .66 DMd. I’m sure this would be possible but I have my doubts that it would result in an appreciable increase in picture quality over the .66 pixel shifter— at least, not enough to justify the increase in price the native 4K dmd would likely demand.

Of course, they could always design a new chip utilizing a new, larger micro mirror. That would be interesting: a larger DMD that still uses pixel shift but employs a larger mirror pitch— maybe something closer to the 7.5 micron mirror pitch of the .65” 1080p DMD. But, again, this seems to run counter to the trend of smaller, less expensive and more efficient. Large imaging chips require larger, more power hungry light sources and larger, more expensive optics. While I’m sure there would be buyers for a high dollar DLP, how much of a market would there be with LCOS designs offering native 4K and superior contrast? It seems to me that DLPs niche is high value projectors. Even the $9000 BenQ HT9060 (which uses the .66, btw) could be considered a value model based on the fact it uses a colorspark LED light source as opposed to the lamp it’s LCOS competitors employ.
Have you seen a .47 and a .66 4K projector side by side? If so, was there a noticeable difference? Thanks again for the feedback.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 PSA S3600I'S, and 2 UM18-22/iNUKE6000DSP DIY subs.
post #766 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
There is another poster, MJ DOOM, who is having the same issue. The "s" is generating the extra characters. I don't know what these posters have in common.
Ahh. Weird. But now I can understand it if I replace "s" with "s".
post #767 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Ahh. Weird. But now I can understand it if I replace "s" with "s".

Interesting! I did the same, and it was like solving a puzzle... Didn’t realize we tend to use a bunch of “s”.

post #768 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am looking t get another projector and the last one i had was the BenQ W600 and I remember loving it! Is the HT5550 and the W7000 the same pj? Is the 5550 worth the additional $$ over the 3550? I am trying to decided between the BenQ and the Optoma UHD65. Please help...
post #769 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I am looking t get another projector and the last one i had was the BenQ W600 and I remember loving it! Is the HT5550 and the W7000 the same pj? Is the 5550 worth the additional $$ over the 3550? I am trying to decided between the BenQ and the Optoma UHD65. Please help...

Had the same dilemma deciding between the Optoma UHD65 and BenQ HT5550/HT3550. I eventually went with BenQ HT5550 after reading several reviews for each brand/product and watching a few videos comparing them to Epson and Sony.

The actual difference in performance between 5550 and 3550 is slightly blurry in my opinion, but I ultimately went with the higher model (5550) because I have a dedicated HT and figured...

(1.) the black color would look better and would cause less light reflection;

(2.) since it’s much bigger than 3550, would require less cooling and emit less fan noise; and

(3.) there is the claim of 100% color coverage with 5550, better HDR/Iris/motion enhancer, and higher placement flexibility over the 3550 (in terms of zoom level and horizontal lens shift).

I don’t have the 3550 to compare side by side with my 5550, but from what I was reading about them while still researching, I just did not want to eventually regret not paying an extra $1k for a better PJ since I intent to run it for at least 4-5 years.

post #770 of 880 Old 06-12-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Have you seen a .47 and a .66 4K projector side by side? If so, was there a noticeable difference? Thanks again for the feedback.

Not side by side, no.

I’m sure the .66 has the higher image quality potential. Not due to the DMD itself (as discussed the micro mirrors are identical) but because each mirror on the .66 is responsible for the creation of 2 pixels whereas each mirror on the .47 is responsible for 4. In theory, a DLP manufacturer could combine the .66 DMD with the quad shift actuator used on the .47 and create an ‘8K’ projector. It would be a ‘faux’ 8K just like the JVC NX9 (half the pixel count of true 8K). But it would be interesting to see if any of the .66’s advantages remained once the quad shift was employed.

I really think this comes down to cost. Simply put, the .66 typically finds it’s way into higher cost projectors while the .47 typically finds it’s way into lower cost projectors. A higher price means a brighter light source, a better designed chassis (to better discard unused light) and, more importantly, better optics. This means better blacks, better contrast, a sharper image and even better color accuracy.

When speaking to BenQ at the NY launch event, they made the point to explain why they went with the .47 DMD over the .66 DMD for the HT5550. Apparently, they had originally planned to go with the .66 for this projector. They said that during the product design they discovered that the difference in performance between the .47 and .66 was minor. It was there, but a matter of degrees. They opted for the .47 DMD because, as they explain it, that allowed them to spend money elsewhere in the projector that led to greater image performance.
Mike Butny likes this.

post #771 of 880 Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not side by side, no.

I’m sure the .66 has the higher image quality potential. Not due to the DMD itself (as discussed the micro mirrors are identical) but because each mirror on the .66 is responsible for the creation of 2 pixels whereas each mirror on the .47 is responsible for 4. In theory, a DLP manufacturer could combine the .66 DMD with the quad shift actuator used on the .47 and create an ‘8K’ projector. It would be a ‘faux’ 8K just like the JVC NX9 (half the pixel count of true 8K). But it would be interesting to see if any of the .66’s advantages remained once the quad shift was employed.

I really think this comes down to cost. Simply put, the .66 typically finds it’s way into higher cost projectors while the .47 typically finds it’s way into lower cost projectors. A higher price means a brighter light source, a better designed chassis (to better discard unused light) and, more importantly, better optics. This means better blacks, better contrast, a sharper image and even better color accuracy.

When speaking to BenQ at the NY launch event, they made the point to explain why they went with the .47 DMD over the .66 DMD for the HT5550. Apparently, they had originally planned to go with the .66 for this projector. They said that during the product design they discovered that the difference in performance between the .47 and .66 was minor. It was there, but a matter of degrees. They opted for the .47 DMD because, as they explain it, that allowed them to spend money elsewhere in the projector that led to greater image performance.
Thanks. I might grab this projector next year.
sage11x likes this.

post #772 of 880 Old 06-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I might grab this projector next year.
I'm not sure I'm following the discussion about .66 vs .47- is this referring to the aperture of the lens? So same arguments as the aperture of a camera lens and how many pixels are supported which directly effect exposure and thus brightness in a projector? Also, what is DMD? Sorry for the beginners questions, but I'm just trying to learn.

Another question for those who bought the HT5550- what DVD player are you using and will I be able to notice a difference between the Panasonic UB820 and some of the lower end 4k dvd players (sony, LG)? What is it about the Panasonic that is supposed to make the 4k picture so much better (according to claims on this forum)?
post #773 of 880 Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
I'm not sure I'm following the discussion about .66 vs .47- is this referring to the aperture of the lens?

These figures refer to the sizes of the digital micromirror devices / reflector chips implemented in the various DLP models.

Quote:
Another question for those who bought the HT5550- what DVD player are you using and will I be able to notice a difference between the Panasonic UB820 and some of the lower end 4k dvd players (sony, LG)? What is it about the Panasonic that is supposed to make the 4k picture so much better (according to claims on this forum)?

If you are utilizing DVDs (not Blu-rays or Ultra HD Blu-rays) I'm not sure about performance differences as these players are usually evaluated based on their Blu-ray performance. With the Panasonics it's their recently implemented new processing hardware, that ensures a carefree "plug-and-play" operation especially concerning HDR performance of Ultra HD Blu-rays.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #774 of 880 Old 06-14-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
If you are utilizing DVDs (not Blu-rays or Ultra HD Blu-rays) I'm not sure about performance differences as these players are usually evaluated based on their Blu-ray performance. With the Panasonics it's their recently implemented new processing hardware, that ensures a carefree "plug-and-play" operation especially concerning HDR performance of Ultra HD Blu-rays.
What kind of hardware processing do they use that makes it plug-and-play? Are you saying it recognizes the projector and adjusts some settings accordingly?

Also, when playing 1080p material does the Benq do the upconversion? If so, is it good? Or does the DVD player do it? Does the panasonic do a better job than others?
post #775 of 880 Old 06-15-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I recently returned my 5550 for service due to the grinding iris sound. It returned yesterday and Benq has solved the issue as it is virtually silent. Very happy with the projector now!
diablo900t and sage11x like this.
post #776 of 880 Old 06-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus77 View Post
I recently returned my 5550 for service due to the grinding iris sound. It returned yesterday and Benq has solved the issue as it is virtually silent. Very happy with the projector now!
Did they update the firmware version? I asked them about updates to the Iris and firmware and they said neither were available.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #777 of 880 Old 06-15-2019, 10:17 AM

The firmware was not updated. Apparently components of the iris were replaced. Worth the 9 day turnaround.
post #778 of 880 Old 06-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus77 View Post
When did you originally bought this?
post #779 of 880 Old 06-15-2019, 02:24 PM

Early April
post #780 of 880 Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Is anyone else with an HT5550 experiencing half the image not displaying and the only way to resolve it is to turn off the projector and turn it back on? Are your keystone settings sticking? i.e. set it to any number, turn the projector off and when you turn it back on the keystone number displayed is the same but the image reset to 0.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Half Screen II.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2580962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Half screen I.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2580964  

Projector: Benq HT5550 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page