BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 599Likes

post #781 of 1119 Old 06-19-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufuoma_Arhagba View Post
Firmware is 1.0.0. So I guess I’ll need to be ship this to BenQ at some point when the HT5550 update is available.

Any news about this necessary update? Two German users had the HT5550 (W5700) and didn't like the lack of DI settings, the HT3550 users enjoy since the 1.0.1 update.

On one hand I understand that the HT3550 came first and has more owners than the HT5550 in need of that update, on the other hand the HT5550 is the much more expensive of the two...

Saturday next week BenQ Germany wants to present the "final" versions of both models in the city of Bochum, so the firmware update should become available in the next 10 days...

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFR View Post
The grinding sound on my W5700 is now worse than ever.
The image quality is great, the colors are WOW, the contrast is really not bad (great for a DLP even) with dynamic iris on ... but this sound is driving me crazy.
I don't think I can wait for the new firmware to ask for a new unit.

This is what I hear during a movie : youtube.com/watch?v=-5SujUfktAE

I cannot recommend to anyone this projector until we are sure these quality problems are 100% solved ...
News from Benq : they refused my return, this noise is normal and they won't fix it or replace the unit.
My advice : don't buy this PJ !
I'll start a judicial procedure to be reimbursed.
post #783 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
News from Benq : they refused my return, this noise is normal and they won't fix it or replace the unit.

Just so we're clear on this, you contacted BenQ for the issue and got an RMA for the problem, sent it in, they've seen your video and said that's normal - or what they've experienced in person with the projector? Your video makes it sound like a ball bearing clanking around in a can. It's hard to believe a projector manufacturer could characterize that as normal and expected operation.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Just so we're clear on this, you contacted BenQ for the issue and got an RMA for the problem, sent it in, they've seen your video and said that's normal - or what they've experienced in person with the projector? Your video makes it sound like a ball bearing clanking around in a can. It's hard to believe a projector manufacturer could characterize that as normal and expected operation.
I returned it to the store that sold me the unit (Cobra, a french store specialized in HiFi and projection). They have their own after sale service. They tested it and they wrote me back that it was clearly a defective unit and that they will send it to BenQ.
They contacted BenQ, gave them all the information (including the video to my knowledge, but I can't be sure) and BenQ answered back that this sound is normal and can be minimized by a "no sound mode" (I have no idea what this is, maybe it's just disabling the iris ...).

Below, the answer from the store, in french (sorry), unedited (I only removed my name and the city).

Spoiler!
AMDNOW! likes this.
post #785 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I returned it to the store that sold me the unit (Cobra, a french store specialized in HiFi and projection). They have their own after sale service. They tested it and they wrote me back that it was clearly a defective unit and that they will send it to BenQ.
They contacted BenQ, gave them all the information (including the video to my knowledge, but I can't be sure) and BenQ answered back that this sound is normal and can be minimized by a "no sound mode" (I have no idea what this is, maybe it's just disabling the iris ...).

Below, the answer from the store, in french (sorry), unedited (I only removed my name and the city).

Spoiler!
Perhaps someone that owns the projector can help you with the "no sound mode". If it's simply turning off the iris, that would likely solve the problem, but then what would be the advantage of an iris that constantly makes that "normal" sound throughout a movie. Hopefully you can get a successful resolution for this.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #786 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Perhaps someone that owns the projector can help you with the "no sound mode". If it's simply turning off the iris, that would likely solve the problem, but then what would be the advantage of an iris that constantly makes that "normal" sound throughout a movie. Hopefully you can get a successful resolution for this.

Sorry I do not own the projector but came across this.....there is a "silence mode"..maybe lost in translation as "no sound mode" ....so might also apply to the 5550.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...al-features-1/

"Silence mode is important. And essential to understand what it does. First, yes the projector is quieter, but…
…Silence mode turns off the pixel shifting, turning the TK800 into a true 1080p projector (1920×1080). The thing is, first time you engage Silence mode you discover that the rather significant hum-like sound coming from the projector, decreases dramatically (about 10db would be my guess). You are probably mostly watching 1080p content so far, so enjoy the quieter mode for that content, to enjoy the extra quiet."
post #787 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Sorry I do not own the projector but came across this.....there is a "silence mode"..maybe lost in translation as "no sound mode" ....so might also apply to the 5550.

Just watched the video (which I should have done first ) ...sounds like the blade of the fan when its off kilter and arbitrarily scratching the side while spinning.
As I'm interested in the projector...curious if the sound is only present when mounted upside down? ....Because IMHO that definitely does "not" sound acceptable! lol

Last edited by rob80b; 06-21-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #788 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Just watched the video (which I should have done first ) ...sounds like the blade of the fan when its off kilter and arbitrarily scratching the side while spinning.
As I'm interested in the projector...curious if the sound is only present when mounted upside down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5SujUfktAE
I have mine ceiling mounted and it doesn't sound like that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #789 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
I have mine ceiling mounted and it doesn't sound like that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So probably definitely a fan that's off center.... I was looking at the Epson 5040 refurbs but this BenQ appears to have the upper hand in Color and sharpness.
post #790 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
What they are saying is to turn off the Dynamic Iris and the noise will stop. Page 32 of user manual "When the projector is on, the Dynamic Iris will adjust according to the scenes from the videos. The motor operation still produces a small amount of sound. You
can mute the sound by selecting Off."

The problem with that is two fold. 1. Your Projector should not be making that noise even with Dynamic Iris on. 2. Turning it off, you lose the Dynamic Iris which this projector needs to improve contrast. They need to replace your unit.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #791 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Using SmartEco instead of the DI will improve contrast, but not to the same degree as the DI. OTOH, it's silent and you get full lamp brightness when needed and much longer lamp life (compared to High lamp).
post #792 of 1119 Old 06-21-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Any news about this necessary update? Two German users had the HT5550 (W5700) and didn't like the lack of DI settings, the HT3550 users enjoy since the 1.0.1 update.

On one hand I understand that the HT3550 came first and has more owners than the HT5550 in need of that update, on the other hand the HT5550 is the much more expensive of the two...

Saturday next week BenQ Germany wants to present the "final" versions of both models in the city of Bochum, so the firmware update should become available in the next 10 days...

As far as I know the firmware update is still targeting this month. Considering this requires a service center visit I’m sure the priority is getting it right the first time.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #793 of 1119 Old 06-22-2019, 01:13 AM

Thank you all for your answers.

Quote:
So probably definitely a fan that's off center.... I was looking at the Epson 5040 refurbs but this BenQ appears to have the upper hand in Color and sharpness.
I doubt it : the sound is linked to the iris moving. If I pause a movie (still image) it stays quiet. Iris touching a fan when it moves ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
What they are saying is to turn off the Dynamic Iris and the noise will stop. Page 32 of user manual "When the projector is on, the Dynamic Iris will adjust according to the scenes from the videos. The motor operation still produces a small amount of sound. You
can mute the sound by selecting Off."

The problem with that is two fold. 1. Your Projector should not be making that noise even with Dynamic Iris on. 2. Turning it off, you lose the Dynamic Iris which this projector needs to improve contrast. They need to replace your unit.
Thank you for checking the manual, mine is in the box at the store ..
I agree with you, DI noise should be limited to the very low motor noise, and DI is definitely needed for this PJ (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Using SmartEco instead of the DI will improve contrast, but not to thesame degree as the DI. OTOH, it's silent and you get full lamp brightness when needed and much longer lamp life (compared to High lamp).
I had a projector with SmartEco before. Sure it's better than nothing, but DI is indeed way better.

I spoke a few minutes ago to my vendor at Cobra ; he heard the noise on my video and agrees it's a defect, so he will try to make BenQ accept to RMA my unit.
Even if it works, it should not be that difficult to have a 2 weeks old PJ under warranty repaired ...
post #794 of 1119 Old 06-22-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So probably definitely a fan that's off center.... ......

Quote:

I doubt it : the sound is linked to the iris moving. If I pause a movie (still image) it stays quiet. Iris touching a fan when it moves ?

OK....it's pretty loud on the video so if that's the DI in action something is off.....
post #795 of 1119 Old 06-22-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your answers.

Thank you for checking the manual, mine is in the box at the store ..
I agree with you, DI noise should be limited to the very low motor noise, and DI is definitely needed for this PJ (IMO).

I had a projector with SmartEco before. Sure it's better than nothing, but DI is indeed way better.

I spoke a few minutes ago to my vendor at Cobra ; he heard the noise on my video and agrees it's a defect, so he will try to make BenQ accept to RMA my unit.
Even if it works, it should not be that difficult to have a 2 weeks old PJ under warranty repaired ...

Noisy iris is a known defect. BenQ will service the unit under warranty.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #796 of 1119 Old 06-22-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Noisy iris is a known defect. BenQ will service the unit under warranty.
Is this happening on ALL HT5550's or just a select few?
post #797 of 1119 Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Is this happening on ALL HT5550's or just a select few?
A select "lucky" few are getting them with this issue. I am now on my second HT5550, first one RMA'ed for other issues, and that is one issue I haven't gotten. As of last week, new firmware is coming in July.
sage11x likes this.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #798 of 1119 Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick update on the HT5550 firmware.

As pointed out above, we’re unfortunately not going to see a release this month. However, my contact stressed that the update is pending and they will have a release ASAP. He estimates we should see it in the “next few weeks”. They’re also working out logistics as the unit will require a visit to the service center to receive the update.
diablo900t likes this.

post #799 of 1119 Old 06-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

As pointed out above, we’re unfortunately not going to see a release this month. However, my contact stressed that the update is pending and they will have a release ASAP. He estimates we should see it in the “next few weeks”. They’re also working out logistics as the unit will require a visit to the service center to receive the update.
Good update. I'd rather they take their time and get it right. Hopefully there will be some sort of express shipping/turnaround option for us early adopters.
sage11x likes this.
post #800 of 1119 Old 06-24-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Somewhat interesting then that BenQ has the 5550 "in stock" and presumably shipping at this moment in time. Perhaps it's part of the logistics to pull the availability while they work this out.

This is the only update expected to require the unit be returned, as far as you've heard?

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #801 of 1119 Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Somewhat interesting then that BenQ has the 5550 "in stock" and presumably shipping at this moment in time. Perhaps it's part of the logistics to pull the availability while they work this out.

This is the only update expected to require the unit be returned, as far as you've heard?
Man, this is so tough because I really want to pull the trigger on the HT550 right now but I don't know how long I will have to wait to get it from BenQ. Also, I am not sure if there is even a local service center around me here in Savannah, GA so that makes it even more difficult.

@sage11x - there isn't any inclination that the price will be going up with the new firmware upgrades, is there?

Last edited by Jrunr; 06-24-2019 at 09:33 PM.
post #802 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Man, this is so tough because I really want to pull the trigger on the HT550 right now but I don't know how long I will have to wait to get it from BenQ. Also, I am not sure if there is even a local service center around me here in Savannah, GA so that makes it even more difficult.
I am really eager to get this projector, as a replacement for my W1070, however with the iris issue and the lack of firmware support for an anamorphic setup (at present), it is actually becoming easier every day to just sit back and watch. I too wanted to pull the trigger earlier, but glad I didn't. Beyond user firmware updates, I can't accept hardware issues that require shipping a sensitive device such as a projector back and forth for resolution.

My take is patience, let things work themselves out. BenQ will either deliver a sound and feature complete product, or if takes long enough, another manufacturer will show up with an alternative in an upcoming cycle

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #803 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My problem is I currently don't have a projector so I need to decide on one pretty quickly... I am really starting to contemplate the HT9050 on BenQ's site though... But that thing is HUGE! Wondering if it would be an upgrade or downgrade to the HT550 (after the firmware upgrades)
post #804 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@sage11x - there isn't any inclination that the price will be going up with the new firmware upgrades, is there?

Not at all.

post #805 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Possibly. This projector is only sold through BenQ and one pro installer so it wouldn’t be as difficult.

The HT5550 has user upgradeable firmware but to add the new functionality to the iris requires modification to the underlying TI firmware which isn’t user upgradeable. So, yeah, I don’t anticipate anything else needing a service visit.
Keith AP likes this.

post #806 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
My problem is I currently don't have a projector so I need to decide on one pretty quickly... I am really starting to contemplate the HT9050 on BenQ's site though... But that thing is HUGE! Wondering if it would be an upgrade or downgrade to the HT550 (after the firmware upgrades)
I'm guessing you're referring to the refurbished unit - about a two year old projector. I'm not familiar with it, so I would only direct you to do a Google search for HT9050 reviews - there are several good ones - to get an idea as to it's features and limitations, and whether it fits your needs.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #807 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Possibly. This projector is only sold through BenQ and one pro installer so it wouldn’t be as difficult.

The HT5550 has user upgradeable firmware but to add the new functionality to the iris requires modification to the underlying TI firmware which isn’t user upgradeable. So, yeah, I don’t anticipate anything else needing a service visit.
I called BenQ this morning to inquire about the HT5550 and the firmware upgrade. What the associate on the phone told me was that they were doing the firmware upgrade to their in house stock this week, but it was ONLY to fix the keystone adjustment issue. He said nothing about an iris noise or fix, and when I asked him about it he said there was nothing to be done there. So I am confused by what needs to be done here...

@sage11 - do you know of anymore improvements that they are going to be making to the HT5550?

Also, as much as I was drooling over the 9050 and 9060 - those things are HUGE and weigh a ton! I am in a rental house and I'm not sure I can hang that beast from the ceiling!! lol
post #808 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wonder if the W2700 has this noisy Iris problem ? Since I read that thread, it seems nobody mentioned about it.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #809 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post
Wonder if the W2700 has this noisy Iris problem ? Since I read that thread, it seems nobody mentioned about it.

The HT3550’s iris makes some noise but it isn’t bad. I equated it once to something like an air ionizer. Another owner said it sounded like a little bug was crawling around in the projector.

post #810 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I called BenQ this morning to inquire about the HT5550 and the firmware upgrade. What the associate on the phone told me was that they were doing the firmware upgrade to their in house stock this week, but it was ONLY to fix the keystone adjustment issue. He said nothing about an iris noise or fix, and when I asked him about it he said there was nothing to be done there. So I am confused by what needs to be done here...

@sage11 - do you know of anymore improvements that they are going to be making to the HT5550?

Also, as much as I was drooling over the 9050 and 9060 - those things are HUGE and weigh a ton! I am in a rental house and I'm not sure I can hang that beast from the ceiling!! lol

The iris is getting the same low, mid and high settings as the Ht3550. This is to add functionality and address the concern some owners have about pumping/flickering. I was quite bothered by the pumping on the initial HT3550 release. I now run the projector in low iris most of the time and have had no issues. The HT5550 IS a different projector however so I can’t say how it’s various iris modes will compare.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page