BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 599Likes

post #811 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The iris is getting the same low, mid and high settings as the Ht3550. This is to add functionality and address the concern some owners have about pumping/flickering. I was quite bothered by the pumping on the initial HT3550 release. I now run the projector in low iris most of the time and have had no issues. The HT5550 IS a different projector however so I can’t say how it’s various iris modes will compare.
On my Benq W5000, I can set the iris anywhere from 1-19. I always assumed the personally adjustable setting would then be fixed for my viewing satisfaction. The lower the number the less contrast and increased brightness. The higher the number the higher the contrast and lower brightness. I have never noticed pumping. Is my assumption correct that the iris is fixed or does it actually constantly automatically adjust to the source material? With the HT5550 new Low, Med and High iris settings, will the iris be fixed at the specified setting or adjust automatically in a perhaps a smaller range around the specific setting to avoid pumping? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
On my Benq W5000, I can set the iris anywhere from 1-19. I always assumed the personally adjustable setting would then be fixed for my viewing satisfaction. The lower the number the less contrast and increased brightness. The higher the number the higher the contrast and lower brightness. I have never noticed pumping. Is my assumption correct that the iris is fixed or does it actually constantly automatically adjust to the source material? With the HT5550 new Low, Med and High iris settings, will the iris be fixed at the specified setting or adjust automatically in a perhaps a smaller range around the specific setting to avoid pumping? Thanks

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking.

Currently the iris has one setting: on/off. With the new firmware you will be able to select the level of iris intervention. Low offering the least intervention (lowest contrast) but the lowest possible occurrence of pumping artifacts. High will give you the greatest intervention (highest contrast) but will likely display a fair amount of pumping artifacts. Mid is somewhere in between.

On the BenQ HT3550 the new iris settings offered a discernible improvement by allowing the viewer to choose what they were comfortable with. For me, low works best as I prefer not to see the iris working.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #813 of 1119 Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wonder why the new firmware for W5700 took so long ? Since I am ready to get one in next 2 weeks n hope to have the new one installed by the dealer before I pick it up.

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1119 Old 06-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post
Wonder why the new firmware for W5700 took so long ? Since I am ready to get one in next 2 weeks n hope to have the new one installed by the dealer before I pick it up.
Thanks for the iris response. I was trying to ask if for example on the high iris setting does the iris have an open/close range that if too large may cause pumping because it cannot respond fast enough? With the new setting did Benq also shorten the range of open/close at the high iris setting to give better response with still maintaining an acceptable picture?
post #815 of 1119 Old 06-26-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
On my Benq W5000, I can set the iris anywhere from 1-19. I always assumed the personally adjustable setting would then be fixed for my viewing satisfaction. The lower the number the less contrast and increased brightness. The higher the number the higher the contrast and lower brightness. I have never noticed pumping. Is my assumption correct that the iris is fixed or does it actually constantly automatically adjust to the source material?
There are dual iris on W5000. The one you are talking about that allows value from 1-19 is manual iris you use to fine tune brightness for your needs and then dynamic black is the name of the setting for auto iris (it has no adjustable levels). If you never saw any pumping (maybe pumping is wrong word in this case, as iris is moving without delay) or change in any situation, then you probably have that turned off. Auto iris can be seen working as a moving "blade" inside the lens when it is running.
sage11x likes this.
post #816 of 1119 Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I’m about 90% sure that I’m going to order this PJ directly from BenQ next week (after they have had a chance to get them all upgraded and updated). I’m very excited to see what it can do. 🙂
post #817 of 1119 Old 06-27-2019, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I’m about 90% sure that I’m going to order this PJ directly from BenQ next week (after they have had a chance to get them all upgraded and updated). I’m very excited to see what it can do. 🙂
Have you heard something that the projectors and firmware are ready and will be in place next week?

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #818 of 1119 Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I called BenQ the rep told me that they were updating their in house stock this week. This is why I will order directly from BenQ and not a reseller.

If you want to be sure, you can call them directly and find out when they will be complete with their updates and ask to make sure that yours is on that updated list.
post #819 of 1119 Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
When I called BenQ the rep told me that they were updating their in house stock this week. This is why I will order directly from BenQ and not a reseller.

If you want to be sure, you can call them directly and find out when they will be complete with their updates and ask to make sure that yours is on that updated list.
Thanks. I'm gonna wait for positive field reports before moving forward, so I hope all goes well and look forward to your and others experiences. I'm waiting too for a firmware release that includes anamorphic stretch. I don't need a new projector (W1070 owner) and will wait as long as necessary for a BenQ, or other manufacturer solution.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #820 of 1119 Old 06-27-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Sage,

Any hint when the new firmware will be ready ? Any fix on that noisy Iris ?

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #821 of 1119 Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The firmware is out for the W5700 here in Australia. No sending back to Benq. This just came from the Benq Rep.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #822 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
*******************NEWS!!*******************

BenQ W5700 Firmware update is here

*******************NEWS!!*******************

Hi all,

Below is a table of the new features & fixes:

Items
Firmware Version

(TI V1.1.0 & Mstar 1.0.0.88353)

1.      Features added
(1)   Add “Anamorphic 2.4:1” and “Anamorphic 16:9” under Installation/Aspect ratio
Mstar F/W Upgrade via USB
(2)   Add “HDMI Equalizer” to improve HDMI compatibility
2.      Fix bugs or Improvements
(1)   Fix keystone saving problem after reboot
(2)   Lower down the opportunity of split screen issue happened after switching timing or source.
(3)   Improve Pixel Enhancer and color performance
(4)   Improve the frame drop issues by adjusting the default value and items of “Motion enhancer” menu with Off/Low/Middle/High
(5)   Improve flicker issues when IRIS is on by adjusting default value and items of “Dynamic Iris” menu to with Off/Low/Middle/High
(6)   Fix bug that SmartEco should be disabled in remote control when IRIS is set to On
(7)   Fix bugs in ISF mode
-          Disable “Picture/Reset current picture mode” when picture mode is set to ISF
-          Correct the default value of “Sharpness” in ISF

And instructions on how to install it:

UpgradeMStar FW via USB

Format a USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fat32.

Unzip File MStar 838v1.0.0.88353.7z and look for folder Mstar 838 v 1.0.0.88353 open this folder and copy BenqUpgradeQ.bin to the root folder of the USB Flash Drive.

Turn off projector.  

Insert USB Flash Drive in to the Media Reader (USB 3.0) port on the projector.

Turn on the projector.

In the process of upgrading, you may see BenQ logo in white. This is normal.  It may take up to 2 minutes to go blank screen

You will also see blank screen and sometimes a status bar going around. This is normal.

When the FW update is complete unit will re-start to the original 1st time install settings.  

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #823 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 137
How do we get our hands on the file??
post #824 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Hi Sage,

Any hint when the new firmware will be ready ? Any fix on that noisy Iris ?

Always place an @ and my full handle or else AVS won’t notify me.

Noisy iris requires a service center visit for replacement but that is fixed now.

Firmware update I’ll have to get back to you. As you can see above one is available but I was told specifically that the unit would require a service center visit for the iris. I’ll clarify and get back.
Mike Butny likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #825 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noted with thanks. Hope there will be a link for the new Firmware soon. As for the noisy Iris, it seems it varies from unit to unit. Maybe I should pick one up in person, rather than do it by mail order . Wonder if that loud noise happens when the unit is new, or gradually come on after using the unit for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Always place an @ and my full handle or else AVS won’t notify me.

Noisy iris requires a service center visit for replacement but that is fixed now.

Firmware update I’ll have to get back to you. As you can see above one is available but I was told specifically that the unit would require a service center visit for the iris. I’ll clarify and get back.

post #826 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Noted with thanks. Hope there will be a link for the new Firmware soon. As for the noisy Iris, it seems it varies from unit to unit. Maybe I should pick one up in person, rather than do it by mail order . Wonder if that loud noise happens when the unit is new, or gradually come on after using the unit for awhile.
Unfortunately it comes gradually.
As I was aware of the problem, (thanks to this forum !), I asked at the store to test it before buying. I watched 15 minutes of a movie, no noise at all ...
At home, the noise started after 30-45 minutes.

Fortunately, after many emails and phone calls, BenQ accepted my RMA, I should receive a new unit in a week or two. I hope it will work, without noise.
post #827 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Noted with thanks. That’s bad news for me. How do the public know which new lot are the good ones ??? Since, it won’t be fun for anybody to buy something new n knowing u will be going through the hassle of returning after using it for a short while.

post #828 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM

I have their W6000 projector and am thinking of an upgrade.

I’m running a huge screen - about 170” diagonal so high output is key.

Does anyone know if the new projects are brighter than my w6000?

Im tempted by this new unit , but I’m not a fan of Benq as a company.

I owned a W5000 that shortly after a year developed the half black screen, and even thought the tech told me they had some defective video boards sent to them by a supplier, they would not repair my unit for free.

I don’t want to say in public how I delt with it and got a replacement, but it was a huge effort.
post #829 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailists View Post
I have their W6000 projector and am thinking of an upgrade.

I’m running a huge screen - about 170” diagonal so high output is key.

Does anyone know if the new projects are brighter than my w6000?

Im tempted by this new unit , but I’m not a fan of Benq as a company.

I owned a W5000 that shortly after a year developed the half black screen, and even thought the tech told me they had some defective video boards sent to them by a supplier, they would not repair my unit for free.

I don’t want to say in public how I delt with it and got a replacement, but it was a huge effort.

That’s a shame.

For what it’s worth, the HT5550 comes with a 3 year warranty and one of their senior product managers actually follows these threads specifically to get feedback and address concerns. The HT3550 and HT5550 are ambitious products that introduce new features/performance in their segments but, clearly, some of those new features have made for a less than smooth start on their respective lifespans.

The issue with the Ht5550 was a defective iris that could become loud while in operation. BenQ will replace the iris under warranty but it requires a service center visit. There is a new firmware on the way (possible available NOW, lol) that fixes some bugs but more importantly adds some functionality not included at launch and should improve performance further.
Mike Butny and diablo900t like this.

post #830 of 1119 Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Here is a link to the firmware from an Australian website...no idea if it works in the US...use at your own risk!

t-UpgradeMStar FW via USB
Format a USB 3.0 Flash Drive Fat32.
Unzip File MStar 838v1.0.0.88353.7z and look for folder Mstar 838 v 1.0.0.88353 open this folder and copy BenqUpgradeQ.bin to the root folder of the USB Flash Drive.
Turn off projector.
Insert USB Flash Drive in to the Media Reader (USB 3.0) port on the projector.
Turn on the projector.
In the process of upgrading, you may see BenQ logo in white. This is normal. It may take up to 2 minutes to go blank screen
You will also see blank screen and sometimes a status bar going around. This is normal.
When the FW update is complete unit will re-start to the original 1st time install settings.

Link below for FW file
https://we.tl/t-H15dZHOw9V
post #831 of 1119 Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus77 View Post
Here is a link to the firmware from an Australian website...no idea if it works in the US...use at your own risk!

I would wait for clarification. Australia like Europe is a PAL territory, so it's possible there will be some PAL optimizing features (at the expense of others?) US users will have little use for (unless they need playback of PAL DVDs...).
sage11x likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #832 of 1119 Old 07-05-2019, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone in the US tried the new firmware listed here?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #833 of 1119 Old 07-05-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I updated mine with no problem. I haven't played with it too much yet though. It did a factory default of my control and i had to put them back.
diablo900t and bonus77 like this.
post #834 of 1119 Old 07-06-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just updated my HD BenQ to the HT5550 and it’s a huge difference in picture quality. I do have a really stupid question. This is my first 4K and HDR display I’ve had. I can see the 4K resolution in the source info but how do you verify HDR? HDR is set to on and the receiver is passing it from the PS4. I also have an optical hdr cable. The colors are very vivid but I’m curious how you verify the colors.
post #835 of 1119 Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLorax View Post
I just updated my HD BenQ to the HT5550 and it’s a huge difference in picture quality. I do have a really stupid question. This is my first 4K and HDR display I’ve had. I can see the 4K resolution in the source info but how do you verify HDR? HDR is set to on and the receiver is passing it from the PS4. I also have an optical hdr cable. The colors are very vivid but I’m curious how you verify the colors.
the BenQ will detect HDR and auto activate the HDR colour profile mode (unlike D.Cinema, Vivid, etc that are selectable when non-HDR content is playing)
when in HDR mode it will also lock out selectable colour temp options and give you only the 1 to change.
theLorax and sage11x like this.

Matt Goldsmith
post #836 of 1119 Old 07-06-2019, 06:32 PM

BTW i have noticed that when WCG is engaged 100% white nits are 30, and when OFF max nits are 45.
in BOTH instances 0% is reading as 0.01, which means contrast WCG is 3000:1 and OFF is 4500:1
These are measurements taken on a 120" screen with 1.1 gain

Matt Goldsmith
post #837 of 1119 Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Everyone: All in all, are you happy with your HT5550 projectors? Is there anything you regret buying this over something else? If so, which other projector would you have chosen?
post #838 of 1119 Old 07-07-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldsmith View Post
BTW i have noticed that when WCG is engaged 100% white nits are 30, and when OFF max nits are 45.
in BOTH instances 0% is reading as 0.01, which means contrast WCG is 3000:1 and OFF is 4500:1
These are measurements taken on a 120" screen with 1.1 gain
Is the picture bright enough with HDR on ? Also, the contrast seems good enough for you ?

post #839 of 1119 Old 07-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Is the picture bright enough with HDR on ? Also, the contrast seems good enough for you ?
BenQ's HDR Tone-Mapping algorithm is actually really good, and makes for a very punchy image.

FYI: i don't own this projector but have the chance to play with it for a bit, along with a TW9400.

As a comparison, Out of the box and on same screen - The Epson gave 40nits @ 100% - after calibration, but the epson 0% is significantly lower and gives around 22000:1 contrast (which i expect can get lower again in a fully dark-treated room)

There are things i like about both units - the epson dialed in easier to near P3 and has a more filmic look to it. Whereas the BenQ is sharper and I like the HDR tone-mapping more. (i think the love child of these 2 units would be called the Sony VW570

The BenQ firmware has only just been applied so i want to take a better look over it as they've done something to CMS as the old values don't look quite right anymore (especially contast setting, which looked good on old FW, but looks blown out now).

Also, after applying the FW all settings go back to Default.
hdtv316 likes this.

Matt Goldsmith
post #840 of 1119 Old 07-07-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for your comment. I hope you have a chance to watch the Benq again with the new firmware installed. I will be getting the unit next week . Should do the calibration after installing the new firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldsmith View Post
BenQ's HDR Tone-Mapping algorithm is actually really good, and makes for a very punchy image.

FYI: i don't own this projector but have the chance to play with it for a bit, along with a TW9400.

As a comparison, Out of the box and on same screen - The Epson gave 40nits @ 100% - after calibration, but the epson 0% is significantly lower and gives around 22000:1 contrast (which i expect can get lower again in a fully dark-treated room)

There are things i like about both units - the epson dialed in easier to near P3 and has a more filmic look to it. Whereas the BenQ is sharper and I like the HDR tone-mapping more. (i think the love child of these 2 units would be called the Sony VW570

The BenQ firmware has only just been applied so i want to take a better look over it as they've done something to CMS as the old values don't look quite right anymore (especially contast setting, which looked good on old FW, but looks blown out now).

Also, after applying the FW all settings go back to Default.

Last edited by ac388; 07-07-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page