BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 622Likes

post #931 of 1209 Old 08-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news about firmware update for HT5550 projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1209 Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ht5550 a good upgrade from w7000

Do you guys think that for 1080p content, the 5550 is a significant upgrade in picture quality from the w7000?
post #933 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anybody using this projector with a Panasonic UB820 ? Wonder if people will turn on the HDR Optimizer on Panny or not ? Since most W5700 review are raving about its HDR tone mapping feature

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronildoq View Post
I just got mine last month, no issues and no iris grinding noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@ronildoq , you may be one of the latest people receiving this projector, would you mind checking in the settings the options available for Aspect Ratio? Looking for more than the original three - to include anamorphic now.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #935 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
@ronildoq , you may be one of the latest people receiving this projector, would you mind checking in the settings the options available for Aspect Ratio? Looking for more than the original three - to include anamorphic now.

Anamorphic is available when u are in isf mode

post #936 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Anamorphic is available when u are in isf mode
Thanks for the follow up.

So for clarification on what you are seeing, in the Aspect Ratio menu containing Auto/4:3/16:9, there are additional grayed out/absent items “Anamorphic 2.4:1” and “Anamorphic 16:9” unless you choose either the ISF Night or ISF Day picture modes?

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #937 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 07:03 PM

@sage11x , I may have missed it, but have you heard from your contacts whether an official US firmware release containing the anamorphic aspect modes has been released yet? IIRC didn't Australia announce a release maybe a couple months ago.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #938 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Thanks for the follow up.

So for clarification on what you are seeing, in the Aspect Ratio menu containing Auto/4:3/16:9, there are additional grayed out/absent items “Anamorphic 2.4:1” and “Anamorphic 16:9” unless you choose either the ISF Night or ISF Day picture modes?

Only available when u use ISF mode , am using the calibrated ISF mode now, very good for 4k SDR

maglo125 likes this.
post #939 of 1209 Old 08-04-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Only available when u use ISF mode , am using the calibrated ISF mode now, very good for 4k SDR
Is the ISF calibration something you had done, or is it settings BenQ provided for this mode on the projector.

I cannot fathom what has gotten into BenQ that they would place this restriction on the use of an anamorphic lens - in other words you can't have this feature in any user-configurable picture mode because...why? I have several different picture modes for various viewings; from games to TV (with some lighting on) to movies...with a fixed lens for all...but apparently I must use an ISF mode for everything if I want to use the lens.

So, does anyone have the password/key sequence for ISF mode they're willing to share? I was about to pull the trigger on this projector now that the anamorphic modes were in place - but if I do I may have to modify the ISF settings to my liking based on what I'm watching. This latest release cycle of BenQ projectors has been quite confusing.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #940 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
From what I gather, a higher quality lens, components, and overall build. In addition, pro-channel projectors such as the Epson 4040/4050/6040 are hundreds, if not thousands, more than their mostly identical white-colored counterpart due to an included bulb and the service that comes with coming from the installer network.

First impressions from ISE in Amsterdam seem very favorable so we will have to see what full reviews say and determine if that justifies the price increase. We don’t know the NA price of this yet.
Epson thousands more? not quite. Hundreds more. But you're talking base model and next model up with BenQ? The epson non pro channel was the same model without the mount, lamp, installation and longer warranty (all that has to add up to something right?). The 6050 is said to have the better lens over the 5050 too so that's a welcome improvement as my 5040 lens was average with visible CA. But my 6050 is spectacular, far better lens than on both the Benq's too, with only the LK970 having a better lens but not my much! but 16K vs high 3's.. no contest. Watched them, tested them all side by side for weeks and months in my own room.
post #941 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Torn between the 5550 and 5050. Clarified with Benq they will take return anytime within 30 days apparently no hours limitation and pay for all the shipping so no brainer to at least try it out. They assured me it will arrive with latest firmware but still waiting for confirmation from a recent buyer on that. Now if I could just find a similar return policy for the Epson...
post #942 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
Torn between the 5550 and 5050. Clarified with Benq they will take return anytime within 30 days apparently no hours limitation and pay for all the shipping so no brainer to at least try it out. They assured me it will arrive with latest firmware but still waiting for confirmation from a recent buyer on that. Now if I could just find a similar return policy for the Epson...
You wont return the Epson, that's the good news...
post #943 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post
Not sure, for me Benq has:

Sharpness (I sit close)
better out of the box color and precalibrated
switches to hdr mode automatically
likely better 3d
slightly cheaper
likely better motion
one review says brighter p3 color
4k interpolation
not sure if Epson eliminates the 3:2 pulldown like the Benq
better return policy

I'll probably try it first knowing I can return, RBE is still unknown.

Epson definitely nice unit as well, tough choice, I currently have a 5010, but dont need lens memory, better blacks probably not an advantage in my white walled living room, not concerned about lag. I'd take the brightness and contrast tho!
sage11x and ronildoq like this.
post #944 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Not sure, for me Benq has:

Sharpness (I sit close)
better out of the box color and precalibrated
switches to hdr mode automatically
likely better 3d
slightly cheaper
likely better motion
one review says brighter p3 color
4k interpolation
not sure if Epson eliminates the 3:2 pulldown like the Benq
better return policy

I'll probably try it first knowing I can return, RBE is still unknown.

Epson definitely nice unit as well, tough choice, I currently have a 5010, but dont need lens memory, better blacks probably not an advantage in my white walled living room, not concerned about lag. I'd take the brightness and contrast tho!
Epson has 10 pre loaded HDR curves and performs admirably. You can choose weather to implement HDR or not. Not forced like with the benq.
Much brighter.
Better lens, virtually no CA. I find the Epson sharper actually. I have both here.
Better black levels
Way better remote, more menu options and tweakability.
Better warranty.
Much cheaper lamps.
Vertical stretch (anamorphic mode in every colour profile not just isf)
No buggy iris, everything works as per their marketing material.
Motorised everything.
Bigger zoom range
Bigger lens shift amounts
Better blacks will be beneficial in any room not just black rooms.
Motion is not better, maybe about the same.
P3 colour 630 lumens with the Benq and over 800 with the Epson. I wouldn't either modes on these machines as the light output drops too far. Just use natural mode, you wouldn't even see any difference if you're getting 'slightly more' colour at the expense of brightness.

Downside: Pixel gap more noticeable than on the JVC, Sony and benq machines. Sit 20% further back or reduce screen size by 20%.

4K not even needed imho. A good 1080P projector with a stellar lens and good contrast will destroy any 4K projector with an average lens. Many of these 'reviews' read as paid averts. I mean really, when a $1500 projector reads something like 'It doesn't get much better than this' you know you have to read between the lines. The best reviews are by people on forums like this one, real people, real world use.

Last edited by oztheatre; 08-05-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #945 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 PM

not sure why one would not engage hdr, just looks flat and washed out.
Yes i've heard better remote
I've never worn out a lamp
Better glass always a plus
yes iris is a concern
I still enjoy 3d

post 462

what's your take on Benq clearly appearing better? are you saying that comparison is a product of the pixel gap and not the benq 4x system vs epson 2x? If you have to move further away whats the point of 4k or sharpness then?

any opinion on noise level, i have to run higher fan speeds due to elevation.

I appreciate your input.

Last edited by vidwiz; 08-05-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #946 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
not sure why one would not engage hdr, just looks flat and washed out.
Yes i've heard better remote
I've never worn out a lamp
Better glass always a plus
yes iris is a concern
I still enjoy 3d

post 462

what's your take on Benq clearly appearing better? are you saying that comparison is a product of the pixel gap and not the benq 4x system vs epson 2x? If you have to move further away whats the point of 4k or sharpness then?

any opinion on noise level, i have to run higher fan speeds due to elevation.

I appreciate your input.
I think Oz is describing the 6050, at least from the standpoint of the vertical stretch. I thought you were considering the 5050 as a comparison, though it could be all the same points, have to ask him.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #947 of 1209 Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 PM

Another good point. 6050 supposed to have cherry picked components. But then the price is getting to be non comparable...
post #948 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Is the ISF calibration something you had done, or is it settings BenQ provided for this mode on the projector.

I cannot fathom what has gotten into BenQ that they would place this restriction on the use of an anamorphic lens - in other words you can't have this feature in any user-configurable picture mode because...why? I have several different picture modes for various viewings; from games to TV (with some lighting on) to movies...with a fixed lens for all...but apparently I must use an ISF mode for everything if I want to use the lens.

So, does anyone have the password/key sequence for ISF mode they're willing to share? I was about to pull the trigger on this projector now that the anamorphic modes were in place - but if I do I may have to modify the ISF settings to my liking based on what I'm watching. This latest release cycle of BenQ projectors has been quite confusing.
Hey Keith,

In 4K HDR mode we have locked the mode to preserve the picture.

In 4K standard or any other mode (eg. 1080p, 3D etc.) You are free to switch between all modes.

Cheers,

Matt Walker
BenQ Australia
maglo125 likes this.
post #949 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattWalkerOZ View Post
Hey Keith,

In 4K HDR mode we have locked the mode to preserve the picture.

In 4K standard or any other mode (eg. 1080p, 3D etc.) You are free to switch between all modes.

Cheers,

Matt Walker
BenQ Australia
Matt, not sure if we are talking the same issue or not. My comments are directed at the availability, or lack of, the Anamorphic 2.35:1/16:9 stretch settings in the Aspect Ratio menu. Apparently the anamorphic options are available ONLY when choosing an ISF picture mode? If I were to set the projector into "Cinema" mode for example, the anamorphic stretch settings would not be available. This is what I'm hearing from a user of the projector.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #950 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Matt, not sure if we are talking the same issue or not. My comments are directed at the availability, or lack of, the Anamorphic 2.35:1/16:9 stretch settings in the Aspect Ratio menu. Apparently the anamorphic options are available ONLY when choosing an ISF picture mode? If I were to set the projector into "Cinema" mode for example, the anamorphic stretch settings would not be available. This is what I'm hearing from a user of the projector.
Yep - pretty sure we are.

When I read your original post you noted "you can't have this feature in any user-configurable picture mode because...why? I have several different picture modes for various viewings; from games to TV (with some lighting on) to movies...with a fixed lens for all...but apparently I must use an ISF mode for everything if I want to use the lens."

My post is pointing out that this is not the case. We do lock the mode setting in 4K HDR, but otherwise you are free to move between modes (as usual) if you are set into Anamorphic mode(s)

You also noted "I was about to pull the trigger on this projector now that the anamorphic modes were in place" - It is safe to do this. If you have a lens you are good to go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190806-215755_Email.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	2599254  
post #951 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattWalkerOZ View Post
Yep - pretty sure we are.

When I read your original post you noted "you can't have this feature in any user-configurable picture mode because...why? I have several different picture modes for various viewings; from games to TV (with some lighting on) to movies...with a fixed lens for all...but apparently I must use an ISF mode for everything if I want to use the lens."

My post is pointing out that this is not the case. We do lock the mode setting in 4K HDR, but otherwise you are free to move between modes (as usual) if you are set into Anamorphic mode(s)

You also noted "I was about to pull the trigger on this projector now that the anamorphic modes were in place" - It is safe to do this. If you have a lens you are good to go
Thanks, that is good to hear. I appreciate you jumping in on this.

Can you clarify for me what locking the mode setting in 4K HDR means? Does this preclude the 4K HDR signal from being stretched/compressed?

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #952 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post

This comment is absurd.

What if he gets a defective unit or one with dust blobs or he finds out he happens to be sensitive to sample and hold artifacts? What happens if he just discovers that the loss of 4 million pixels between this and the BenQ is a significant difference after all?

Honestly, your comment reads like pure fanboyism and contributes nothing to the overall discussion.
bonus77, Torque Spike and maglo125 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #953 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Ok, guess I can only laugh at this point, but why is this so hard? Maybe I'm asking the question in the wrong manner.

All I want to know is if the HT5550 supports anamorphic stretch/compression in firmware (Aspect Ratio settings) so that I can use a fixed lens in ALL picture modes.

- I have one forum member indicating it does but only in ISF picture mode(s).
- A response from Matt BenQ Australia a few posts back says it's supported in all picture modes.
- Finally, I just received an email response from BenQ support for the same question stating; "The projector itself only supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Anamorphic 2.4:1 or 16:9 aspect ratios are not supported."

Maybe I just have to go to the trouble of purchasing the projector to determine this myself - but that seems awfully ridiculous to me just to get this question answered - even two corroborating responses would be helpful.
rjmcinnis likes this.

HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
post #954 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Ok, guess I can only laugh at this point, but why is this so hard? Maybe I'm asking the question in the wrong manner.

All I want to know is if the HT5550 supports anamorphic stretch/compression in firmware (Aspect Ratio settings) so that I can use a fixed lens in ALL picture modes.

- I have one forum member indicating it does but only in ISF picture mode(s).
- A response from Matt BenQ Australia a few posts back says it's supported in all picture modes.
- Finally, I just received an email response from BenQ support for the same question stating; "The projector itself only supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. Anamorphic 2.4:1 or 16:9 aspect ratios are not supported."

Maybe I just have to go to the trouble of purchasing the projector to determine this myself - but that seems awfully ridiculous to me just to get this question answered - even two corroborating responses would be helpful.

Sorry man. I think this has something to do with how some regions are ahead on their firmware revision.

Australia seems to have gotten an updated firmware that the many regions have not yet received. Not sure how or why that has occurred.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 08-06-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #955 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that is good to hear. I appreciate you jumping in on this.

Can you clarify for me what locking the mode setting in 4K HDR means? Does this preclude the 4K HDR signal from being stretched/compressed?
Sure can.

When you have HDR mode set to Auto and when the projector senses a HDR signal the settings in the projector are locked.

In essence if you want to use HDR with anamorphic mode this is not possible.

However if you use any other mode (eg. SDR, 1080p etc.) all options are available to change.

The answer to your last question is YES.

Hope that makes it clear for you.

Cheers,

Matt
post #956 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Where can I purchase this projector online and can avoid paying taxes here in Georgia? Of course, I want to buy from a Benq authorized reseller. Any advice?
post #957 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosha View Post
Where can I purchase this projector online and can avoid paying taxes here in Georgia? Of course, I want to buy from a Benq authorized reseller. Any advice?
Benqdirect.com. I don't think it's in Georgia.
post #958 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
This comment is absurd.

What if he gets a defective unit or one with dust blobs or he finds out he happens to be sensitive to sample and hold artifacts? What happens if he just discovers that the loss of 4 million pixels between this and the BenQ is a significant difference after all?

Honestly, your comment reads like pure fanboyism and contributes nothing to the overall discussion.
Of course you'd return it if there was a fault. Fanboyism? No nothing could be further from the truth. I could say your comment appears like buyers remorse but I'm not saying that either. I have both of these machines here so I'm relatively qualified to comment on the differences between them. that's all.
post #959 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosha View Post
AFAIK only three retailers sell it in the USA... BenQ, B&H and Projector People.

- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Panasonic UB820
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #960 of 1209 Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
Benqdirect.com. I don't think it's in Georgia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
AFAIK only three retailers sell it in the USA... BenQ, B&H and Projector People.

- Jason

Unfortunately, Georgia charges destination-based sales tax even for purchases from Benqdirect. Other than the places that Jason mentioned, I wonder if Provantage charges sales tax. Provantage belongs to a group of 'Benq authorized business and education partners.'

Update: Provantage charges tax here as well.

Last edited by kosha; 08-07-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page