BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 609Likes

post #1051 of 1142 Old 09-10-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any news about firmware update for ht5550,what they are hiding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1142 Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
I definitely experienced red push the other night watching Carnival Row (Prime - HDR) on my NVIDIA Shield. Everyone's face looked like they had thrown back a few. Last night I watched another episode and it wasn't present at all. I'm starting to wonder if it is a cable or incorrect mode switch that is occurring that is causing it. Next time I see it, I'm going to try and re-sync the source and see if it goes away.
Did you find the solution? I'm experiencing the same issue with red push on my Nvidia shield while watching HDR content on amazon prime & kodi HDR files. I don't experience this on my Apple TV 4k while watching the same Amazon Prime HDR content (Carnival Row)
post #1053 of 1142 Old 09-12-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked: 2833
BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

If I can weigh in on this firmware debate...

There are two different firmwares that can be upgraded on the HT5550 (and the HT3550 for that matter). There is BenQ’s operating firmware, which IS user upgradeable, and there is an underlying firmware that is part of the Texas Instrument chipset, which is NOT. In theory, the underlying TI firmware never need be touched. However, BenQ made a change post launch to address owner concerns about iris pumping or “flicker” that required an update to the TI firmware. My suspicion is this is due to the iris being tied to Texas Instrument’s ‘Dynamic Black’ feature baked into the TI chipset (BenQ has long used their own dimming / dynamic contrast algorithm in the ubiquitous ‘Smart Eco’ feature).

It’s not convenient, for sure, but I’d rather BenQ address the issue. They obviously tested the product ahead of release but there is no way they could have accounted for the volume or breadth of content owners would subject the iris to. These are the very first 4K DLP models to be equipped with an active iris and manufacturers haven’t had the years to refine the feature like the competition in 3LCD and LCOS.
diablo900t, Frank714 and maglo125 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1142 Old 09-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by den1224 View Post
Did you find the solution? I'm experiencing the same issue with red push on my Nvidia shield while watching HDR content on amazon prime & kodi HDR files. I don't experience this on my Apple TV 4k while watching the same Amazon Prime HDR content (Carnival Row)
I haven't found any solution but think it's the device like you mentioned, I have Kodi as well and it seems hit or miss depending on the source.

In general I feel like the Shield has color space issues.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #1055 of 1142 Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

There are two different firmwares that can be upgraded on the HT5550 (and the HT3550 for that matter). There is BenQ’s operating firmware, which IS user upgradeable, and there is an underlying firmware that is part of the Texas Instrument chipset, which is NOT. In theory, the underlying TI firmware never need be touched. However, BenQ made a change post launch to address owner concerns about iris pumping or “flicker” that required an update to the TI firmware. My suspicion is this is due to the iris being tied to Texas Instrument’s ‘Dynamic Black’ feature baked into the TI chipset (BenQ has long used their own dimming / dynamic contrast algorithm in the ubiquitous ‘Smart Eco’ feature).

It’s not convenient, for sure, but I’d rather BenQ address the issue. They obviously tested the product ahead of release but there is no way they could have accounted for the volume or breadth of content owners would subject the iris to. These are the very first 4K DLP models to be equipped with an active iris and manufacturers haven’t had the years to refine the feature like the competition in 3LCD and LCOS.
when firmware version 1.0.1 coming for HT5550.
post #1056 of 1142 Old 09-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswamy View Post
Quote:

There are two different firmwares that can be upgraded on the HT5550 (and the HT3550 for that matter). There is BenQ’️s operating firmware, which IS user upgradeable, and there is an underlying firmware that is part of the Texas Instrument chipset, which is NOT. In theory, the underlying TI firmware never need be touched. However, BenQ made a change post launch to address owner concerns about iris pumping or “flicker” that required an update to the TI firmware. My suspicion is this is due to the iris being tied to Texas Instrument’️s ‘Dynamic Black’️ feature baked into the TI chipset (BenQ has long used their own dimming / dynamic contrast algorithm in the ubiquitous ‘Smart Eco’️ feature).

It’️s not convenient, for sure, but I’️d rather BenQ address the issue. They obviously tested the product ahead of release but there is no way they could have accounted for the volume or breadth of content owners would subject the iris to. These are the very first 4K DLP models to be equipped with an active iris and manufacturers haven’️t had the years to refine the feature like the competition in 3LCD and LCOS.
when firmware version 1.0.1 coming for HT5550.
It's available now but you would need to send your unit to Benq. I sent mine last week and it's on the way back tracking shows it will be delivered Monday. Just expect to be without the projector for about 2 weeks.
post #1057 of 1142 Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
In theory, the underlying TI firmware never need be touched. However, BenQ made a change post launch to address owner concerns about iris pumping or “flicker” that required an update to the TI firmware. My suspicion is this is due to the iris being tied to Texas Instrument’s ‘Dynamic Black’ feature baked into the TI chipset (BenQ has long used their own dimming / dynamic contrast algorithm in the ubiquitous ‘Smart Eco’ feature).

Sounds like Texas Instruments is the culprit here and BenQ had to insist they'd improve their firmware / feature. Commendable, IMHO, regarding BenQ's efforts.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #1058 of 1142 Old 09-13-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troub View Post
It's available now but you would need to send your unit to Benq. I sent mine last week and it's on the way back tracking shows it will be delivered Monday. Just expect to be without the projector for about 2 weeks.
Is firmware 1.0.1 is TI Firmware,
What happened to Australian firmware we were talking in the past.
post #1059 of 1142 Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So I am a new owner of the HT5550 as of yesterday. Purchased from B&H and has 1.0.0 firmware. Bummer. definitely makes an audible noice while adjusting the iris as well as annoying brightness flicker. Going to give Benq a call and see about sending it in. This is really annoying but I have been following here so it was a known possibility. Is the firmware considered a successful fix and is there a change log posted anywhere?
post #1060 of 1142 Old 09-14-2019, 02:11 AM

I am happy with the W5700, no grinding noise but I have experienced twice the split screen issue in the 1 and a half months that I own it.
I am in a dilemma if I should shipped it back for a firmware update & risk the damage or loss while in shipping... BenQ offered to update the firmware & I'm waiting for their reply if they will both do the TI & Mstar firmware.

For those who have updated their firmware by BenQ, is it a great improvement?
post #1061 of 1142 Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi. I have this projector on order and I was wondering if anyone had a quick recommendation regarding BenQ-compatible 3D glasses. I'm new to the 3D aspect of things. I tried looking elsewhere for information regarding a recommended brand/model for this unit but I couldn't find anything solid. I thought maybe I would ask here. Thank you!
post #1062 of 1142 Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triological View Post
Hi. I have this projector on order and I was wondering if anyone had a quick recommendation regarding BenQ-compatible 3D glasses. I'm new to the 3D aspect of things. I tried looking elsewhere for information regarding a recommended brand/model for this unit but I couldn't find anything solid. I thought maybe I would ask here. Thank you!

I got some true depth from amazon.
But any 3D glasses that are powered should work.
post #1063 of 1142 Old 09-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How do you change the noise reduction levels? Mine is set at 'middle' and grayed out under advance picture setting menu.

Last edited by kosha; 09-15-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #1064 of 1142 Old 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

You can only use "DLP Link" 3D shutter glasses but should not have trouble finding devoted threads here at the AVS.
sage11x likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #1065 of 1142 Old 09-17-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I am happy with the W5700, no grinding noise but I have experienced twice the split screen issue in the 1 and a half months that I own it.
I am in a dilemma if I should shipped it back for a firmware update & risk the damage or loss while in shipping... BenQ offered to update the firmware & I'm waiting for their reply if they will both do the TI & Mstar firmware.

I had the split screen issue. Benq replaced my projector.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #1066 of 1142 Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Amazon is a good source for DLP link 3D Glasses. I have used ones from 3DHeaven and BOBLOV. Both worked well. The 3DHeaven glasses we a little more but they were brighter than the other glasses.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #1067 of 1142 Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
BenQ offered to update the firmware & I'm waiting for their reply if they will both do the TI & Mstar firmware.
How do you check individual firmware version numbers for TI and Mstar?
post #1068 of 1142 Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosha View Post
How do you check individual firmware version numbers for TI and Mstar?

You don’t. At least, not through the user menu.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #1069 of 1142 Old 09-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I've found a fix for this, but last night I manually turned off the "Automatically switch color space" setting under the display settings on my Shield, manually set the color space to rec2020 and loaded up an HDR movie. It didn't appear to exhibit the red push that I was seeing earlier. It could be placebo, but I think there's something with the color space not changing correctly when other apps like Amazon Prime or Kodi are in use. This has been historically a problem for the Shield, if you tried to watch rec709 content with it set to rec2020, it would look really washed out.

Side note, as I am writing this, I found a reddit post about this issue and apparently the setting doesn't work the way its intended. Apparently it is fixed in some development builds.

EDIT: Going to try what is posted here and see if my issue is resolved: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-hotfix-image/

Last edited by diablo900t; 09-18-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #1070 of 1142 Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
I don't know if I've found a fix for this, but last night I manually turned off the "Automatically switch color space" setting under the display settings on my Shield, manually set the color space to rec2020 and loaded up an HDR movie. It didn't appear to exhibit the red push that I was seeing earlier. It could be placebo, but I think there's something with the color space not changing correctly when other apps like Amazon Prime or Kodi are in use. This has been historically a problem for the Shield, if you tried to watch rec709 content with it set to rec2020, it would look really washed out.

Side note, as I am writing this, I found a reddit post about this issue and apparently the setting doesn't work the way its intended. Apparently it is fixed in some development builds.
Yes, turning off the "automatically switch color space" did the trick, no more red push with Rec2020 setting. Thanks for the tip! I will try the hotfix also.
diablo900t likes this.
post #1071 of 1142 Old 09-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Epson vs Benq:

http://cine4home.de/benq-w5700-vs-ep...nzimmerbeamer/

Use google translate😊

"With a bit tweaking, the BenQ W5700 covers an exemplary large part of the DCI color space,
completely without filters and without loss of light!

Duel Point DCI / UHD Premium: BenQ W5700!
Both follow the approach of DCI color space filtering. Both lose too much light through the filter, which greatly limits the practicality of this approach. In addition to a better factory tuning, the W5700 still offers an extended color space without DCI filters and no loss of light, which makes him the clear winner in this category."
post #1072 of 1142 Old 09-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There is also this comparison:

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...arison-review/

Art favors the Epson however he poo poos the sharpness advantage and does not consider 3d performance, motion, or 4k motion enhancement. For me, currently still favoring the Benq.
sage11x likes this.
post #1073 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordvarg View Post
Epson vs Benq:

http://cine4home.de/benq-w5700-vs-ep...nzimmerbeamer/

Use google translate😊

"With a bit tweaking, the BenQ W5700 covers an exemplary large part of the DCI color space,
completely without filters and without loss of light!

Duel Point DCI / UHD Premium: BenQ W5700!
Both follow the approach of DCI color space filtering. Both lose too much light through the filter, which greatly limits the practicality of this approach. In addition to a better factory tuning, the W5700 still offers an extended color space without DCI filters and no loss of light, which makes him the clear winner in this category."

You just had to post this!! I will stay frozen between the two forever now!... Running an Epson 4000 now looking to upgrade to Tone mapping and full hdmi bandwidth. I also want better black levels and I do notice motion judder. Curious to try DLP out as I have never had a DLP in my theater. I guess the only thing holding me back from the HT5550 is the input lag as I do play a couple games a year.
post #1074 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
You just had to post this!! I will stay frozen between the two forever now!... Running an Epson 4000 now looking to upgrade to Tone mapping and full hdmi bandwidth. I also want better black levels and I do notice motion judder. Curious to try DLP out as I have never had a DLP in my theater. I guess the only thing holding me back from the HT5550 is the input lag as I do play a couple games a year.
I've owned 1 LCD and a few DLP projectors. I can't say that the input lag on the HT5550 is incredibly noticeable. Is it as responsive as my G-Sync monitor? No, but no displays of this type will be. I've played a handful of games on it, including action games and never felt like I was at a disadvantage. It's maybe a 1-2 frame difference, and you might notice it on timing sequences, but I didn't find it hard to adjust. If you're playing competitive FPS games, then this may be a deal breaker, but I don't think the different in input lag would be an extreme advantage for the Epson.
post #1075 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=diablo900t;58584278]
Quote:
You just had to post this!! I will stay frozen between the two forever now!... Running an Epson 4000 now looking to

I've owned 1 LCD and a few DLP projectors. I can't say that the input lag on the HT5550 is incredibly noticeable. Is it as responsive as my G-Sync monitor? No, but no displays of this type will be. I've played a handful of games on it, including action games and never felt like I was at a disadvantage. It's maybe a 1-2 frame difference, and you might notice it on timing sequences, but I didn't find it hard to adjust. If you're playing competitive FPS games, then this may be a deal breaker, but I don't think the different in input lag would be an extreme advantage for the Epson.
No I gave up competitive gaming years ago. But I do play some shooters. Playing Gears 5 now on the Epson 4000 in 4k no hdr on PC . Input lag is really good. Would double really matter???

I think the reality is they both will be so close to each other picture wise it would be hard to tell a difference.

We are a spoiled bunch!
post #1076 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

I just got mine back for firmware updated to 1.01, first impression is WOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The contrast improves a loooooooooot. DI now has 3 stage adjustments. I set to middle. And it really hard to notice the blinking now.
WCG on is brighter then before updated. I don't feel the picture too dark now when WCG on. Due to the improve of contrast, the scene now looks much saturation. Picture quality totally improve around 30%. Now i finally see what I expect for HT5550.
Strongly recommend those in old firmware send back to update, it is worthy.
den1224, diablo900t and maglo125 like this.

BDP:Sony UBP-X800 Music server: HTPC i5 2300 Jriver LCR:M&K MPS2510 SL/SB/SBL/SBR: M&K MPS1625×4 SUB:Rythmik FV15HP+DEQ2496 HT Pre-pro: Lexicon MC12B EQ/Anthem MRX510
Stereo preamp: Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB Power Amp: Proceed AMP5+ QSC DCA1824 PJ: Twin Optoma HD25/ BenQ HT5550, Screen 135” gain 1.0
**Measurements of BenQ HT5550 **
post #1077 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I do notice motion judder.
Motion artifacts are more noticeable with DLP due to the pixel response, which is essentially instantaneous. Native 24p content and 60p 3/2 pulldown are very... juddery xD on dlp displays. native 60p gaming is ultra smooth though with 0 motion blur, and for native 24p content I use madvrs smooth motion(frame blending) and super sampling at 60hz instead of any kind of frame interpolation(soap opera effect). Same effect, ultra resolved motion with no blur and reduced judder, with no soap opera effect i.e. still maintains the look of native 24p.

I find motion judder distracting on LCOS as well, at least with JVCs D-ILA, which has a black to white pixel response of 2.5ms, and there's a bit of blur compared to DLP, but nothing like LCD or VA panels with 15-25ms black to white response times. Though with those panels(lcd/va), 24p native motion artifacts arent distracting.
post #1078 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Motion artifacts are more noticeable with DLP due to the pixel response, which is essentially instantaneous. Native 24p content and 60p 3/2 pulldown are very... juddery xD on dlp displays. native 60p gaming is ultra smooth though with 0 motion blur, and for native 24p content I use madvrs smooth motion(frame blending) and super sampling at 60hz instead of any kind of frame interpolation(soap opera effect). Same effect, ultra resolved motion with no blur and reduced judder, with no soap opera effect i.e. still maintains the look of native 24p.

I find motion judder distracting on LCOS as well, at least with JVCs D-ILA, which has a black to white pixel response of 2.5ms, and there's a bit of blur compared to DLP, but nothing like LCD or VA panels with 15-25ms black to white response times. Though with those panels(lcd/va), 24p native motion artifacts arent distracting.

I appreciate the response. Now I am even more confused. I thought the DLP would look less juddery than my Epson 4000 due to instantaneous color change. Other than gaming can anyone that has seen both the Epson 5050 and the Benq tell me if the Epson does have a noticeably better black floor? People scream that the Epson blows it away but the true comparisons I have read/watched say the difference is negligible.

Thanks for everyone's help!
post #1079 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
I appreciate the response. Now I am even more confused. I thought the DLP would look less juddery than my Epson 4000 due to instantaneous color change. Other than gaming can anyone that has seen both the Epson 5050 and the Benq tell me if the Epson does have a noticeably better black floor? People scream that the Epson blows it away but the true comparisons I have read/watched say the difference is negligible.

Thanks for everyone's help!
I don't notice judder at 24P on my UHD50.
post #1080 of 1142 Old 09-20-2019, 12:23 PM

I had an Epson HC2030 and had to keep on the Motion Enhancer all the time because the judder was so bad. Didn't have those issues with the Vivitek HK2288 or the HT5550 (both DLP).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP