BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 599Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
bdht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I appreciate the response. Now I am even more confused. I thought the DLP would look less juddery than my Epson 4000 due to instantaneous color change.
It's only when playing native 24p content at 1:1 cadence, i.e. the projector and source set to 24hz, or native 24p content at 60hz with no extra processing(frame interpolation/blending), i.e. 3/2 pulldown. It's simple physics, the pixel response is so fast that there's no motion blur, so any 24p motion artifacts are going to be rendered crystal clear. Anything less than 5ms black to white and I find 24p 1:1 uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
Other than gaming can anyone that has seen both the Epson 5050 and the Benq tell me if the Epson does have a noticeably better black floor? People scream that the Epson blows it away but the true comparisons I have read/watched say the difference is negligible.
I can't speak to these 2 specific models, but I have a W1070 and a JVC RS45U and yes, DLP native contrast is poor in comparison. You can aid it with the dynamic iris or lamp dimming, and with a screen that shifts contrast like ALR screens, but there's no getting around it that the LCD and LCOS panels have much much better contrast.

It's the tough thing when considering these 2 projectors, do you want DLPs incredible pixel response, or LCD/LCOS' incredible contrast. I'm personally stumped and find myself waiting for DLP with better contrast(waiting for some third party Theo-Z65 reviews or an HT5550 with a laser). DLP motion is something special, especially swirling cgi/animation, just stunning, the Jessica Jones intro, so much depth and layering. But 20000:1+ contrast wins in terms of the way the majority of live action content looks, no milky grey dark scenes.
bdht is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I appreciate the response. Now I am even more confused. I thought the DLP would look less juddery than my Epson 4000 due to instantaneous color change. Other than gaming can anyone that has seen both the Epson 5050 and the Benq tell me if the Epson does have a noticeably better black floor? People scream that the Epson blows it away but the true comparisons I have read/watched say the difference is negligible.

Thanks for everyone's help!
I am currently evaluating both models. I see little difference in the floor however only the front 1/3 of my room is blacked out. I really like the better motion and detail and motion enhancement in 4k so I'm 99% sold on the Benq! (Epson has a couple of bad pixels too)
vidwiz is offline  
post #1083 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
I am currently evaluating both models. I see little difference in the floor however only the front 1/3 of my room is blacked out. I really like the better motion and detail and motion enhancement in 4k so I'm 99% sold on the Benq! (Epson has a couple of bad pixels too)
I am a DLP fanboy, so I can't imagine myself with an LCD unit. Or even LCOS for that matter.

Having said that, everyone is different and the ideal for you would be to try both in a demo and decide for yourself.
Just make sure to adjust both machines with all gimmicks off (and I mean everything!).
And to adjust brightness and contrast down a bit, so as to emulate what a normal home-cinema setup will end up looking after some calibration/adjustment.

From my experience, most units have factory default settings that are way too bright or with the contrast set to painfully high levels.

Also, the contrast figures that are on the spec sheet of consumer machines (whether DLP or otherwise) are ridiculously overstated. I never pay attention to contrast numbers if they are exceeding the 3000:1 figure...

And mind you, the 3000:1 figure is already far above what most consumer machine can achieve, even in a properly darkened room.

So, better to use your eyes as your judgment and to go with what pleases you the most.

Last edited by evonimos; 09-20-2019 at 12:02 PM.
evonimos is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1084 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2734
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
There is also this comparison:



https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...arison-review/



Art favors the Epson however he poo poos the sharpness advantage and does not consider 3d performance, motion, or 4k motion enhancement. For me, currently still favoring the Benq.


Motion performance is something that I find a majority of users simply don’t consider or simply don’t see. The average consumer is probably spending most of their time looking at a 10-20ms response VA or IPS LCD and have just become accustomed to the blur and smearing of LCD.

While I had a short dalliance with an LCD TV (from a manufacturer that is no longer in business no less) I pretty much went from CRT right to DLP RPTV and plasma. I then went from plasma to DLP front projection. I’ve never warmed to sample and hold displays and even the best (OLED and TN gaming monitors) are a notch down from plasma/DLP in my humble opinion.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1085 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2734
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I appreciate the response. Now I am even more confused. I thought the DLP would look less juddery than my Epson 4000 due to instantaneous color change. Other than gaming can anyone that has seen both the Epson 5050 and the Benq tell me if the Epson does have a noticeably better black floor? People scream that the Epson blows it away but the true comparisons I have read/watched say the difference is negligible.



Thanks for everyone's help!


Motion is better on DLP. But low frame rate content, i.e. 24Hz film, can actually look worse to some people on a display with good motion handling because the low frame rate becomes more noticeable. I LOVE how 24Hz film looks on DLP but, if you don’t, then there is always the MEMC feature.
evonimos likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1086 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
bdht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I LOVE how 24Hz film looks on DLP
Heh, you must have the eyes of a Gladiator my friend. Im the polar opposite and go through great lengths(all content goes through madvr, no settops apps bdps nothin) to smooth motion without interpolation.

Though I do use interpolation(SVP) for cgi anime like Knights of Sidonia and Berserk.

The HT5550 can do 48hz cant it? Why these companies cant manage 72hz with bfi is beyond me...
bdht is online now  
post #1087 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You gentleman have done a great job explaining the differences between the epson and benq... but that doesn't make the decision any easier.

I guess I am leaning toward the Benq just because I have never played with DLP tech before and I enjoy toying with tech almost as much as watching media.
gunlife is offline  
post #1088 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
bdht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Can someone clarify. In that German review they report full p3 without the filter at up to 1200 lumens. Other reviews were showing 90% with the filter at much lower lumens. Is the German review post a firmware update that I believe seen referenced elsewhere would improve gamut coverage?
bdht is online now  
post #1089 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Member
 
jimchao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Can someone clarify. In that German review they report full p3 without the filter at up to 1200 lumens. Other reviews were showing 90% with the filter at much lower lumens. Is the German review post a firmware update that I believe seen referenced elsewhere would improve gamut coverage?
German review said 3 stages of DI can be adjust, so I believe they reviewed a new firmware one.
By the way, they don't claim P3 100% coverage w/o filter. What I saw Green is slightly off P3 target, Delta E might be over 3.

BDP:Sony UBP-X800 Music server: HTPC i5 2300 Jriver LCR:M&K MPS2510 SL/SB/SBL/SBR: M&K MPS1625×4 SUB:Rythmik FV15HP+DEQ2496 HT Pre-pro: Lexicon MC12B EQ/Anthem MRX510
Stereo preamp: Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB Power Amp: Proceed AMP5+ QSC DCA1824 PJ: Twin Optoma HD25/ BenQ HT5550, Screen 135” gain 1.0
**Measurements of BenQ HT5550 **
jimchao is offline  
post #1090 of 1115 Old 09-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Newbie
 
den1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchao View Post
I just got mine back for firmware updated to 1.01, first impression is WOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The contrast improves a loooooooooot. DI now has 3 stage adjustments. I set to middle. And it really hard to notice the blinking now.
WCG on is brighter then before updated. I don't feel the picture too dark now when WCG on. Due to the improve of contrast, the scene now looks much saturation. Picture quality totally improve around 30%. Now i finally see what I expect for HT5550.
Strongly recommend those in old firmware send back to update, it is worthy.
Thanks! I'm now decided to return mine for the firmware update.
sage11x and jimchao like this.
den1224 is offline  
post #1091 of 1115 Old 09-21-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2734
BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdht View Post
Heh, you must have the eyes of a Gladiator my friend. Im the polar opposite and go through great lengths(all content goes through madvr, no settops apps bdps nothin) to smooth motion without interpolation.



Though I do use interpolation(SVP) for cgi anime like Knights of Sidonia and Berserk.



The HT5550 can do 48hz cant it? Why these companies cant manage 72hz with bfi is beyond me...

I’m just a fan of FILM. I know a lot of people who would like to see the 24 FPS standard for movies revised but I believe the Hobbit movies are proof enough of the wisdom of the existing standard.

When it comes to other forms of visual entertainment— games— I’m with you in wanting a much higher refresh rate. 60Hz is desirable but 120Hz is even better.

There is a lot happening for the HT5550 to display 24Hz. The Ht5550 (and Ht3550 for that matter) are unique among 4K DLPs in that they can display 24Hz content natively instead of performing a 3:2 pulldown (which can introduce telecine judder). To do this, BenQ actually slows down the color wheel to 96Hz. With two rgb passes per rotation that means an effective wheel speed of 192Hz. Considering you need 4 passes of rgb just to produce one full frame (the quad shift employed by the .47” DMD) that means an effective refresh of 48Hz. So, with the Ht5550 you are getting two full frames for each frame of of the film— it IS 48Hz.
diablo900t and bdht like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 09-21-2019 at 07:50 AM.
sage11x is offline  
post #1092 of 1115 Old 09-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Norway
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchao View Post
German review said 3 stages of DI can be adjust, so I believe they reviewed a new firmware one.
By the way, they don't claim P3 100% coverage w/o filter. What I saw Green is slightly off P3 target, Delta E might be over 3.
Agreed, as I understand it only the Green primary is slightly off without the filter.

I wonder how Ekki tweeked the W5700 to get those results?
Did he activate Brilliant Colors in HDR?

I've seen many different reviews now, and some of them claims a much lower DCI-P3 coverage, even with the filter on!

I will have this projectsor in my theater next month, would be nice to know how to set up and tweek the projector for best result, especially for HDR without the filter.
I'm not a calibrator😊
Nordvarg is offline  
post #1093 of 1115 Old 09-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
bdht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’m just a fan of FILM. I know a lot of people who would like to see the 24 FPS standard for movies revised but I believe the Hobbit movies are proof enough of the wisdom of the existing standard. When it comes to other forms of visual entertainment— games— I’m with you in wanting a much higher refresh rate. 60Hz is desirable but 120Hz is even better.
I agree, which is why I really like the frame blending/super sampling approach. No soap opera effect like with interpolation, maintains the 24p look, makes any native 24p motion artifacts more comfortable, sharp as a tack without looking oversharpened and unnatural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
There is a lot happening for the HT5550 to display 24Hz. The Ht5550 (and Ht3550 for that matter) are unique among 4K DLPs in that they can display 24Hz content natively instead of performing a 3:2 pulldown (which can introduce telecine judder). To do this, BenQ actually slows down the color wheel to 96Hz. With two rgb passes per rotation that means an effective wheel speed of 192Hz. Considering you need 4 passes of rgb just to produce one full frame (the quad shift employed by the .47” DMD) that means an effective refresh of 48Hz. So, with the Ht5550 you are getting two full frames for each frame of of the film— it IS 48Hz.
tyvm for that explanation, bookmarking ;] I had forgotten that the xpr dmds had trouble with 24p initially.
sage11x likes this.
bdht is online now  
post #1094 of 1115 Old 09-22-2019, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
den1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchao View Post
I just got mine back for firmware updated to 1.01, first impression is WOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The contrast improves a loooooooooot. DI now has 3 stage adjustments. I set to middle. And it really hard to notice the blinking now.
WCG on is brighter then before updated. I don't feel the picture too dark now when WCG on. Due to the improve of contrast, the scene now looks much saturation. Picture quality totally improve around 30%. Now i finally see what I expect for HT5550.
Strongly recommend those in old firmware send back to update, it is worthy.
Do you happen to know if they updated both the TI & Mstar firmware on your W5700?
den1224 is offline  
post #1095 of 1115 Old 09-22-2019, 11:03 PM
Member
 
jimchao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by den1224 View Post
Do you happen to know if they updated both the TI & Mstar firmware on your W5700?
I did check the engineer, they did both TI & master firmware updated. They told the TI chip must use TI computer/software to update and redo some adjustments on the chip. That's why this update need to send back.
den1224 and sage11x like this.

BDP:Sony UBP-X800 Music server: HTPC i5 2300 Jriver LCR:M&K MPS2510 SL/SB/SBL/SBR: M&K MPS1625×4 SUB:Rythmik FV15HP+DEQ2496 HT Pre-pro: Lexicon MC12B EQ/Anthem MRX510
Stereo preamp: Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB Power Amp: Proceed AMP5+ QSC DCA1824 PJ: Twin Optoma HD25/ BenQ HT5550, Screen 135” gain 1.0
**Measurements of BenQ HT5550 **
jimchao is offline  
post #1096 of 1115 Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's official. The Benq beat the Epson 5050 and has earned its place in my theater. I compared both last night side by side split screen with test patterns and the UHD's Bumblebee and Earth One Amazing Day, and here is my simple non instrumented assessment:

Blacks were very close, Epson slightly better.
When I displayed a white field, the Epson blew the benq out of the water, no comparison in brightness, however,
on regular movie content, amazingly I could not see a difference. Still scratching my head over that one.
The Benq has a noisier picture that mainly comes from the Pixel Enhancer 4k settings. I have dialed mine down to 4 as a compromise.
Dark scenes were a little milkier on the Benq, a result of its inferior contrast.

Longer lag times are obvious with this setup but not an issue for me and for some reason I found it easier to nail the lipsync setting in my AVR with the Benq.
I just cant ignore the detail provided by the Benq, scene after scene it is sharper and the Epson looks blurry in comparison.
I could not see the superior motion handling of the Benq sidexside however I did notice it when fullscreen and A/B-ing them.
3d while dim has no crosstalk. Neither projector begins to compare to my OLED tho so not really an issue. 3D would not be nearly dead had the masses seen LG's in action.
I found the Benq a bit quieter. I had both on highest brightness setting and high altitude fan mode.
Benq's colors were more accurate. Something probably attainable with the Epson but nice not to have to mess with it. I had both projectors setup with settings found online that while certainly not optimal, still provided pleasing pictures on both units however things like the sky and trees looked better to me on the Benq.
Benq is currently $300 cheaper.
Motion Enhancer is available in 4k and I find it to work well.
Benq is smaller, lighter, and black.

So I'm going to live with the Benq's shortcomings for it's stronger overall performance (to my eyes). The Epson is still nice and I will miss the lens controls.
LVS, den1224, diablo900t and 6 others like this.
vidwiz is offline  
post #1097 of 1115 Old 09-26-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gekkou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, guys.

So I had been dreaming of getting a front projector for over a decade, and when my well-loved 50” 3D Sony LCD bit the dust a few months ago I realized that I finally had the space and disposable income to pull it off.

I went and ordered a factory refurbished HT5550 last week from BenQ Direct fir $2199 and it arrived the other day looking absolutely pristine and with only 9 hours of lamp time under its belt. It even had the 1.0.1 firmware so I don’t have to worry about sending it out again. Needless to say, I am delighted with the purchase so far. I got it set up roughly how I want it last night and fired up a few UHD Blu-rays to see how things look and start getting things dialed in.

Now with all that being said, is there any way to turn off the noise reduction when in 4K HDR mode? It’s locked out in the menu and set to “middle.” I looked up some suggested calibration settings online and others seem to be able to turn it off. Might it be an ISF-only setting?

Thanks!
Gekkou is offline  
post #1098 of 1115 Old 09-26-2019, 11:12 AM
Member
 
jimchao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou View Post
Hey, guys.

So I had been dreaming of getting a front projector for over a decade, and when my well-loved 50” 3D Sony LCD bit the dust a few months ago I realized that I finally had the space and disposable income to pull it off.

I went and ordered a factory refurbished HT5550 last week from BenQ Direct fir $2199 and it arrived the other day looking absolutely pristine and with only 9 hours of lamp time under its belt. It even had the 1.0.1 firmware so I don’t have to worry about sending it out again. Needless to say, I am delighted with the purchase so far. I got it set up roughly how I want it last night and fired up a few UHD Blu-rays to see how things look and start getting things dialed in.

Now with all that being said, is there any way to turn off the noise reduction when in 4K HDR mode? It’s locked out in the menu and set to “middle.” I looked up some suggested calibration settings online and others seem to be able to turn it off. Might it be an ISF-only setting?

Thanks!
You should stop to play anything then you may adjust it.

BDP:Sony UBP-X800 Music server: HTPC i5 2300 Jriver LCR:M&K MPS2510 SL/SB/SBL/SBR: M&K MPS1625×4 SUB:Rythmik FV15HP+DEQ2496 HT Pre-pro: Lexicon MC12B EQ/Anthem MRX510
Stereo preamp: Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB Power Amp: Proceed AMP5+ QSC DCA1824 PJ: Twin Optoma HD25/ BenQ HT5550, Screen 135” gain 1.0
**Measurements of BenQ HT5550 **
jimchao is offline  
post #1099 of 1115 Old 09-26-2019, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
It's official. The Benq beat the Epson 5050 and has earned its place in my theater. I compared both last night side by side split screen with test patterns and the UHD's Bumblebee and Earth One Amazing Day, and here is my simple non instrumented assessment:

Blacks were very close, Epson slightly better.
When I displayed a white field, the Epson blew the benq out of the water, no comparison in brightness, however,
on regular movie content, amazingly I could not see a difference. Still scratching my head over that one.
The Benq has a noisier picture that mainly comes from the Pixel Enhancer 4k settings. I have dialed mine down to 4 as a compromise.
Dark scenes were a little milkier on the Benq, a result of its inferior contrast.

Longer lag times are obvious with this setup but not an issue for me and for some reason I found it easier to nail the lipsync setting in my AVR with the Benq.
I just cant ignore the detail provided by the Benq, scene after scene it is sharper and the Epson looks blurry in comparison.
I could not see the superior motion handling of the Benq sidexside however I did notice it when fullscreen and A/B-ing them.
3d while dim has no crosstalk. Neither projector begins to compare to my OLED tho so not really an issue. 3D would not be nearly dead had the masses seen LG's in action.
I found the Benq a bit quieter. I had both on highest brightness setting and high altitude fan mode.
Benq's colors were more accurate. Something probably attainable with the Epson but nice not to have to mess with it. I had both projectors setup with settings found online that while certainly not optimal, still provided pleasing pictures on both units however things like the sky and trees looked better to me on the Benq.
Benq is currently $300 cheaper.
Motion Enhancer is available in 4k and I find it to work well.
Benq is smaller, lighter, and black.

So I'm going to live with the Benq's shortcomings for it's stronger overall performance (to my eyes). The Epson is still nice and I will miss the lens controls.
ummm, pix or it didn't happen. Amateur hour.
triathletewms is offline  
post #1100 of 1115 Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gekkou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchao View Post
You should stop to play anything then you may adjust it.
Thank you. I’ll try it out tonight.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
Gekkou is offline  
post #1101 of 1115 Old 09-27-2019, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone know the command to access service menu? I'm at 1700 meters so using high altitude mode but since I'm only barely over 1500m, would like to adjust fan speeds downward a bit...
vidwiz is offline  
post #1102 of 1115 Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
Anyone know the command to access service menu?...
Hmmm...

Try going to the 'Information' tab with the remote and press:
UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, ENTER.

On my W1110, that's how it works at least.

Just be careful while in there.
You can mess up things pretty badly, if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Last edited by evonimos; 09-27-2019 at 04:32 PM.
evonimos is online now  
post #1103 of 1115 Old 09-30-2019, 04:17 AM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonimos View Post
Hmmm...

Try going to the 'Information' tab with the remote and press:
UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, ENTER.

On my W1110, that's how it works at least.

Just be careful while in there.
You can mess up things pretty badly, if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
Thanks for that, it worked!

Unit has 5 fans. Only 1 and 3 made any appreciable noise difference tho. I figured out how to manually set rpms and went with 25% of the increase when set to high altitude. My elevation is about 12.5% of the 1500-3000 range so I doubled that for a cushion should things not be linear but still got a nice sound reduction. Didn't notice any changes in the rpms dynamically once set to any one mode as it came from the factory so hoping not to toast the lamp. The Epson I tried out DID, ramp things up and down in response to on screen changes.

Projector model is shown as W1700 lol. It showed both firmware versions and was easy to interpret and get around. There were a few typos.

Now, how to get into the ISF pic mode memories???...
vidwiz is offline  
post #1104 of 1115 Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 AM
Newbie
 
roberteporter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samovies10 View Post
[/SPOILER]

Thanks for those impressions scottyroo, I’m looking forward to the whole review.

I’m seriously considering getting this projector and I was wondering, I know black levels and contrast are not DLP’s strong suit, but, the fact that it can do 95% of the DCI-P3 color space with no brightness loss, and 100% of it with minimal brightness loss, is a huge advantage. On the more expensive brands (Epson, Sony, JVC), if they do reach those levels of color space it is at the advantage of significant brightness loss. It is also definitely good that the contrast and black levels are improved from previous DLP models in that price range. Now, having said that, how would you compare the contrast and black levels to what you see in a regular cinema? Are the blacks and contrast better on this projector?

Ideally, I would like this model to be better on both while achieving such a wide color gamut and more brightness, not to the point of what you see in a Dolby Cinema maybe, but perhaps a halfway point between a regular cinema and a Dolby one.
Does anyone know if the BenQ CinePrime HT5550 HDR 4K will work with the mounting bracket chief SLB281?

Also my JVC DLA-RS5–U died. Only 6 years old. Excellent condition. The processor and ballast failed. I’ve no longer offers parts. Any suggestions who might want to buy the unit to repair or salvage for parts?
roberteporter is offline  
post #1105 of 1115 Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
kosha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am having some problems with my month-old projector. I will be grateful if you have solutions to these problems.

I was playing Planet Earth II 4K disk without any problem when my Panasonic Blu-ray player (DP-UB820) was sending the video signal directly to the projector and audio was handled by my old Onkyo receiver (TX-SR805) using HDMI out, audio-only. The projector could recognize the HDR10 signal without any difficulty. However, after upgrading my receiver (Onkyo TX-RZ840), I wanted to send the video+audio signal through HDMI to my receiver and then to the projector. The Blu-ray player is recognizing the HDR10 signal, showing the disc menu, but then the projector is going back to the SDR setting when playing chapters. I could get back to the HDR setting by clicking the HDR button on the projector remote (and clicking auto), but that was not necessary with my old setup. I found that HDR metadata are missing from these Planet Earth II disc(s). I could watch Blue Planet II discs (with HDR metadata intact) without any problems in my new setup.


The second problem is with Roku ultra player when connected through the new receiver, auto-detecting the display as 4K HDR at 30Hz rather than 60Hz.

Last edited by kosha; 10-07-2019 at 10:32 AM.
kosha is offline  
post #1106 of 1115 Old 10-06-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosha View Post
I am having some problems with my month-old projector. I will be grateful if you have solutions to these problems.

I was playing Planet Earth II 4K disk without any problem when my Panasonic Blu-ray player (DP-UB820) was sending the video signal directly to the projector and audio was handled by my old Onkyo receiver (TX-SR805) using HDMI out, audio-only. The projector could recognize the HDR10 signal without any difficulty. However, after upgrading my receiver (Onkyo TX-RZ840), I wanted to send the video+audio signal through HDMI to my receiver and then to the projector. The Blu-ray player is recognizing the HDR10 signal, showing the disc menu, but then going back to the SDR setting when playing chapters. I could get back to the HDR setting by clicking the HDR button on the remote (and clicking auto), but that was not necessary with my old setup. I found that HDR metadata are missing from these Planet Earth II disc(s). I could watch Blue Planet II discs (with HDR metadata intact) without any problems in my new setup.


The second problem is with Roku ultra player when connected through the new receiver, auto-detecting the display as 4K HDR at 30Hz rather than 60Hz.


I don’t have this projector, but if there is a setting for the chroma subsampling change it to 4.2.2. At 60hz 18gb hdmi doesn’t have enough bandwidth to do 4.4.4. It would be under the hdmi settings most likely.
sage11x and evonimos like this.
bix26 is offline  
post #1107 of 1115 Old 10-07-2019, 04:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’m just a fan of FILM. I know a lot of people who would like to see the 24 FPS standard for movies revised but I believe the Hobbit movies are proof enough of the wisdom of the existing standard.
I enjoy 24 frames just as much and always turn off all the extra gimmicks available, to allow the DLP do its work best and stay purer to the source.

But really, there is no wisdom behind the existing standard.
It's just a relic of the times when the industry arbitrarily agreed on that framerate, in order to cater for the projectionists of the time.

I'd prefer it if the film industry moved ahead and employed a 60 frames as the standard rate.
I believe they should focus more on that, instead of the HDR/HLG route they've chosen.
It's an easier thing to push, I understand..

Also, makes for a great marketing pitch to convince ppl buy newer gear.
Whereas a 60Hz standard would mean that they (the film industry) would need to empty their pockets to do the transition.
Obviously, they wouldn't like that very much.
We, the consumers, already have the gear to display 60Hz, so you can see what's the deal here..

And then, it'd be a free choice for a the director as to which method of filming he prefers.
But that'd entail that they're be both readily supported (60Hz and 24Hz framerates), which isn't the case yet...

Last edited by evonimos; 10-07-2019 at 04:37 AM.
evonimos is online now  
post #1108 of 1115 Old 10-07-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosha View Post
I am having some problems with my month-old projector. I will be grateful if you have solutions to these problems.

I was playing Planet Earth II 4K disk without any problem when my Panasonic Blu-ray player (DP-UB820) was sending the video signal directly to the projector and audio was handled by my old Onkyo receiver (TX-SR805) using HDMI out, audio-only. The projector could recognize the HDR10 signal without any difficulty. However, after upgrading my receiver (Onkyo TX-RZ840), I wanted to send the video+audio signal through HDMI to my receiver and then to the projector. The Blu-ray player is recognizing the HDR10 signal, showing the disc menu, but then going back to the SDR setting when playing chapters. I could get back to the HDR setting by clicking the HDR button on the remote (and clicking auto), but that was not necessary with my old setup. I found that HDR metadata are missing from these Planet Earth II disc(s). I could watch Blue Planet II discs (with HDR metadata intact) without any problems in my new setup.


The second problem is with Roku ultra player when connected through the new receiver, auto-detecting the display as 4K HDR at 30Hz rather than 60Hz.

Have you made sure your Onkyo is passing the HDR data? I think there was a firmware update not too long ago on the Onkyo's that by default turned off "Enhanced" (or whatever they call it) video, meaning that it would not pass everything unless you turned it back on. I believe you have to push and hold the BD/DVD button on the unit, and then press the On/Standby button to toggle the feature on and off. You might want to check an Onkyo thread as well to verify.
kosha and sage11x like this.
McLuvin is offline  
post #1109 of 1115 Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2734
BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonimos View Post
I enjoy 24 frames just as much and always turn off all the extra gimmicks available, to allow the DLP do its work best and stay purer to the source.



But really, there is no wisdom behind the existing standard.

It's just a relic of the times when the industry arbitrarily agreed on that framerate, in order to cater for the projectionists of the time.



I'd prefer it if the film industry moved ahead and employed a 60 frames as the standard rate.

I believe they should focus more on that, instead of the HDR/HLG route they've chosen.

It's an easier thing to push, I understand..



Also, makes for a great marketing pitch to convince ppl buy newer gear.

Whereas a 60Hz standard would mean that they (the film industry) would need to empty their pockets to do the transition.

Obviously, they wouldn't like that very much.

We, the consumers, already have the gear to display 60Hz, so you can see what's the deal here..



And then, it'd be a free choice for a the director as to which method of filming he prefers.

But that'd entail that they're be both readily supported (60Hz and 24Hz framerates), which isn't the case yet...


It’s definitely a discussion. There are pros and cons either way but I think the technological barrier means we’re going to be sticking with 24FPS for some time. Simply put: studios don’t have the time or budget to render all their special effects at 60FPS versus the current 24FPS.

Watching The Hobbit at 48FPS I was struck by how well I was able to follow the on screen action. But the high frame rate also made the special effects look unusually cartoony and the live action stuff was a bit of a mess with the makeup and prosthetics very visible as the actors moved. I like the concept and maybe we just need to have a better example but after the Hobbit trilogy I went back to thinking 24FPS is probably the better choice for the vast majority of films.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #1110 of 1115 Old 10-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
kosha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I don’t have this projector, but if there is a setting for the chroma subsampling change it to 4.2.2. At 60hz 18gb HDMI doesn’t have enough bandwidth to do 4.4.4. It would be under the HDMI settings most likely.
Thank you very much for your response.
This projector has an HDMI RGB color range selector (Auto/Full/Limited). I don't see any other menu option to choose chroma subsampling bandwidth.
By the way, I have already selected 4:2:2 bandwidth with Roku ultra in advance display setting.

• HDMI Range
Selects a suitable RGB color range to correct the color accuracy.
• Auto: Automatically selects a suitable color range for the incoming HDMI
signal.
• Full: Utilizes the Full range RGB 0-255.
• Limited: Utilizes the Limited range RGB 16-235.

Last edited by kosha; 10-07-2019 at 08:52 AM.
kosha is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off