BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #1141 of 1142 Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question about Iris pumping. I think this is what it's called. Constant changing of brightness from scene to scene. I am pretty certain it only happens on or is most pronounced in SmartEco mode. I presume there is no way to mitigate this odd behavior other than using Normal or Eco mode? If so, that's a shame. What's the point then of SmartEco because this behavior is absolutely annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1142 Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubus12 View Post
Question about Iris pumping. I think this is what it's called. Constant changing of brightness from scene to scene. I am pretty certain it only happens on or is most pronounced in SmartEco mode. I presume there is no way to mitigate this odd behavior other than using Normal or Eco mode? If so, that's a shame. What's the point then of SmartEco because this behavior is absolutely annoying.
The whole point of SmartEco is to reduce brightness when the scene brightness drops, this helps improve contrast and dramatically improve lamp life through reduced power consumption. In some videos the scene brightness may change as a camera angle changes or pans, for example, and can produce rapid changes in brightness. With the HT5550 you have the option of using the DI (iris) which uses a fixed lamp setting and modulates the Iris to reduce brightness or Smarteco, which modulates the lamp output, or you can turn both off, IIRC, and just use the native contrast ability of the DMD to reduce scene brightness. The advantage of Smarteco, other than lamp life, is that it is silent as the DI doesn't engage.
Anubus12 and Freddicus like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page