BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 624Likes

post #1171 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
On my Benq HT3050/W2000 dust got in, or it was noticed after about one year. The room has windows to a busy boulevard, so lots of dust. Heavy use as well, around 1500-2000h per year.

The HT5550 does not come with a dust filter.
You can build a box for it and put filters at the intake.
I know there is no dust filters in the HT5550/W5700 like my W5000 has but the filter in that models is really simple (not really against dust) and the fact there has been no dust problem comes from that the light engine is very well sealed against dust. So I was wondering how well it is sealed in the HT5550/W5700. I'd rather not do any modifications or build box around it as it is placed in very obvious place in the living room and it has to be nice looking. It is not extremely dusty place but there is always dust in the air and I have cats so there will be cat hair in every place, so I need a projector with equally well sealed optics as my W5000 has.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 11-29-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I know there is no dust filters in the HT5550/W5700 like my W5000 has but the filter in that models is really simple (not really against dust) and the fact there has been no dust problem comes from that the light engine is very well sealed against dust. So I was wondering how well it is sealed in the HT5550/W5700. I'd rather not do any modifications or build box around it as it is placed in very obvious place in the living room and it has to be nice looking. It is not extremely dusty place but there is always dust in the air and I have cats so there will be cat hair in every place, so I need a projector with equally well sealed optics as my W5000 has.
They haven't been out for that long and only a small amount of people are heavy users, in environments with more than the usual dust.

I don't know if anyone can give you an answer as to how the light engine seal has improved from previous models. They are not airtight.
The W5000 was a high end model. The HT3050 is a budget model. The HT5550 is somewhere in between.

If dust does get it to a Benq service to clean the unit. In some areas it's covered under the warranty, in others they can do it for a small fee.
post #1173 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Liked: 2895
Quote:
How well the light engine is really sealed against dust in the long run in this model? It would be interesting to hear from those who have actually ran their units for few hundred hours and longer time how many dust blobs show on the screen? It would be nice to hear from owners if they could check their units with full screen black image and if possible even testing with unfocus method to make sure?

Still trying to figure out if this would eventually replace my trusty old W5000 but I have doubts about build quality of these newer models?

Looks like it is really hard to find a successor for that model. I've been even considering to replace it with 77" OLED or 85" LCD TV but going back to smaller screen after getting used to 95" screen for past 20 years or so is not that easy...

The actual light engine is sealed— it is on all DLPs. But dust could still get onto the lens on the inside. Though that is fairly rare.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know most DLP's claim that the light engine is sealed but in reality they often do not work so well. There are plenty of complaints about dust in the DLP's.
I'm not sure how well it works in HT5550/W5700 but couple of my local dealers mentioned me when I was visiting them that they do not recommend BenQ and claimed they have had a lot of customers having issues with dust. I realize this is not as high end model as my W5K but are they in reality that bad these days?
post #1175 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I know most DLP's claim that the light engine is sealed but in reality they often do not work so well. There are plenty of complaints about dust in the DLP's.
I'm not sure how well it works in HT5550/W5700 but couple of my local dealers mentioned me when I was visiting them that they do not recommend BenQ and claimed they have had a lot of customers having issues with dust. I realize this is not as high end model as my W5K but are they in reality that bad these days?
They can't be too bad, especially since the HT5550 comes with a 3-year warranty. I too traded up from a decades-old high-end 1080p projector. The colors, contrast, black levels, and sharpness projected from the HT5550 are truly amazing compared to my old 1080p in both HD and 4k modes.
post #1176 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:

The light engine IS sealed. But dust can get into the chassis and if it settles on the inside of the lens it could cause blotches. But, comparatively speaking, there is far less chance of this happening (and it’s far easier to fix) than dust getting into the relatively complex light engine of an 3LCD/LCOS.

DLPs are incredibly simple on the inside. Even a 1080p 3LCD or LCOS has a complex array of panels, mirrors and prisms. A DLP pretty much has the color wheel and the ONE DLP chip— which is sealed.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Last edited by sage11x; 11-29-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #1177 of 1218 Old 11-29-2019, 05:53 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Received refurbished HT5550 recently. LMK what you think this is? You can see it during playback? What is the best contact to reach out too at BenQ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	2647338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	2647340  
post #1178 of 1218 Old 11-30-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The light engine IS sealed. But dust can get into the chassis and if it settles on the inside of the lens it could cause blotches. But, comparatively speaking, there is far less chance of this happening (and it’s far easier to fix) than dust getting into the relatively complex light engine of an 3LCD/LCOS.

DLPs are incredibly simple on the inside. Even a 1080p 3LCD or LCOS has a complex array of panels, mirrors and prisms. A DLP pretty much has the color wheel and the ONE DLP chip— which is sealed.
I understand the concept of the sealed light engine but the lens connects to the light engine, so I don't get how it can suck dust there if it is sealed? Or you mean dust gets inside the lens assembly _after_ the light engine towards front of the lens? If so, I don't think that should cause as much problems but the dust inside the light engine is bad. Also as far as I know the HT5550/W5700 has actually pretty complex light engine containing prism and filter for DCI P3. It is not nearly as simple as the lens assembly in machines without lens shift. But my personal experience has been that the DLP's with the prism are actually less prone to show dust issues, not sure why the HT5550/W5700 still suffers from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post
Received refurbished HT5550 recently. LMK what you think this is? You can see it during playback? What is the best contact to reach out too at BenQ?
That definitely looks like something entered in the light engine. Maybe a hair or similar? Speak of the devil, it seems like just when I was asking about how prone this machine is to problems like that, it happened to someone.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 11-30-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #1179 of 1218 Old 11-30-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand the concept of the sealed light engine but the lens connects to the light engine, so I don't get how it can suck dust there if it is sealed? Or you mean dust gets inside the lens assembly _after_ the light engine towards front of the lens? If so, I don't think that should cause as much problems but the dust inside the light engine is bad. Also as far as I know the HT5550/W5700 has actually pretty complex light engine containing prism and filter for DCI P3. It is not nearly as simple as the lens assembly in machines without lens shift. But my personal experience has been that the DLP's with the prism are actually less prone to show dust issues, not sure why the HT5550/W5700 still suffers from it.

That definitely looks like something entered in the light engine. Maybe a hair or similar? Speak of the devil, it seems like just when I was asking about how prone this machine is to problems like that, it happened to someone.

I think maybe you’re looking for issues.

The HT5550’s wide color gamut is created by an extra filter that is placed in the light path. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a DLP taken apart. I’m sure it will look very complex as most electronics do. But I assure you it’s a night and day difference. All projector’s have lens’. Pixel shift projectors have an optical actuator or optical reflector. Wide color projectors get a filter (in addition to the polarizer immediately behind the lamp). All projector’s have a light source. I’m talking about the part that actually creates the picture— the core of the projector or light engine.

A single chip DLP produces it’s picture with a colorwheel (or rapidly cycling LEDs) and DMD. The light source passes through the colorwheel, reflects off the DMD and then out to the lens assembly. That is it. A 3LCD or LCOS projector has to split it’s light source to pass through or reflect off of three lcd panels using an array of mirrors and passageways. Then those three separate image need to be carefully aligned and recombined before heading to the lens assembly.

ALL projectors are capable of getting dirt inside them. That’s the nature of electronics. DLP’s simple light path means there are far fewer components that can become dirty or fail. That’s not a knock on three chip technology it’s simply a fact that fewer components means less things to break or become fouled. The DMD itself is sealed. Now, can dust get onto the outside of the chip or stuck to the inside of the lens? Sure. But I’ve had more than two dozen projectors come through my theater, the vast majority of them DLP, and have yet to have a single projector that has dust blobs or other debris.

Edit: I’ve added some simple diagrams to illustrate my point.

Name:	IMG_8373.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	2647428Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8374.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2647426

Last edited by sage11x; 11-30-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #1180 of 1218 Old 11-30-2019, 09:08 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

This seems to have disappeared after powering the unit back on a 3rd time later in the evening. Nothing changed, just turned the system back on. Perhaps it was a hair or similar that the fan blew out of the light path.
post #1181 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think maybe you’re looking for issues.
No, I'm just trying to choose between bad choices.

Quote:
The HT5550’s wide color gamut is created by an extra filter that is placed in the light path. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen a DLP taken apart. I’m sure it will look very complex as most electronics do. But I assure you it’s a night and day difference. All projector’s have lens’. Pixel shift projectors have an optical actuator or optical reflector. Wide color projectors get a filter (in addition to the polarizer immediately behind the lamp). All projector’s have a light source. I’m talking about the part that actually creates the picture— the core of the projector or light engine.

A single chip DLP produces it’s picture with a colorwheel (or rapidly cycling LEDs) and DMD. The light source passes through the colorwheel, reflects off the DMD and then out to the lens assembly. That is it. A 3LCD or LCOS projector has to split it’s light source to pass through or reflect off of three lcd panels using an array of mirrors and passageways. Then those three separate image need to be carefully aligned and recombined before heading to the lens assembly.

ALL projectors are capable of getting dirt inside them. That’s the nature of electronics. DLP’s simple light path means there are far fewer components that can become dirty or fail. That’s not a knock on three chip technology it’s simply a fact that fewer components means less things to break or become fouled. The DMD itself is sealed. Now, can dust get onto the outside of the chip or stuck to the inside of the lens? Sure. But I’ve had more than two dozen projectors come through my theater, the vast majority of them DLP, and have yet to have a single projector that has dust blobs or other debris.

Edit: I’ve added some simple diagrams to illustrate my point.
I know the structure of typical DLP and LCD projectors and I know the DLP chip itself is of course sealed, if just mirrors are concerned since they are placed under kind of a window. But the point here is that the light engine is sealed or not and how well it is done.

Also we need to consider that the HT5550/W5700 is not simple "prismless" design projectors like the one in the diagram you posted. Better images of the structure can be seen here: http://cine4home.de/die-inneren-wert...700-tear-down/
To me it looks like interesting design but also not very convincing. It seems that even the DCI P3 filter is placed in the light engine chamber with DLP chip and not in front of the light tunnel like the color wheel. Also that "iris" looks quite questionable to me.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 12-01-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #1182 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I'm just trying to choose between bad choices.

I know the structure of typical DLP and LCD projectors and I know the DLP chip itself is of course sealed, if just mirrors are concerned since they are placed under kind of a window. But the point here is that the light engine is sealed or not and how well it is done.

Also we need to consider that the HT5550/W5700 is not simple "prismless" design projectors like the one in the diagram you posted. Better images of the structure can be seen here: http://cine4home.de/die-inneren-wert...700-tear-down/

To me it looks like interesting design but also not very convincing. It seems that even the DCI P3 filter is placed in the light engine chamber with DLP chip and not in front of the light tunnel like the color wheel. Also that "iris" looks quite questionable to me.

I’m not seeing much in that post that I didn’t expect— are you maybe referring to the optical actuator (the thing that makes the pixels shift)?

In either case, if dust is a concern, you may want to investigate a hush box.

post #1183 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This seems to have disappeared after powering the unit back on a 3rd time later in the evening. Nothing changed, just turned the system back on. Perhaps it was a hair or similar that the fan blew out of the light path.

That’s good!

post #1184 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vertical Offset

Ok...silly question. I am trying to figure out how far above my screen that I can mount the HT5550. I have a 16:9 120 inch diagonal screen. Projector will be mounted 15 ft from screen. This is within range according to the calculators. However, I am unclear how to arrive at lens shift. The center of the lens will be mounted 12-14 inches above the top edge of the screen. Info I have read indicates 60% vertical lens shift. 60% of what?

Thanks
post #1185 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmab9117 View Post
Ok...silly question. I am trying to figure out how far above my screen that I can mount the HT5550. I have a 16:9 120 inch diagonal screen. Projector will be mounted 15 ft from screen. This is within range according to the calculators. However, I am unclear how to arrive at lens shift. The center of the lens will be mounted 12-14 inches above the top edge of the screen. Info I have read indicates 60% vertical lens shift. 60% of what?

Thanks

Lens Shift
Vertical: ± 60% / Horizontal: ± 23%

60% of the height of the screen.
For an 120" screen 60% is 35.4".

Lens shift is mentioned at the bottom of the page:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

Setting the calculator to 120" screen and 15ft distance, the calculator claims:
At this throw distance, with a centered image, the projected image can be shifted an additional 35" up from the top, 35" down from the bottom

The default position is the center of the screen.
From center to the edge (vertically) there are 29". The center of the lens can be as much as 6" from the top of the screen (ceiling mount).
In some models using the lens shift at the limit causes distortions. While my Benq does not have the lens shift the HT5550 has, I don't notice any when using it at the limit.
maglo125 likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 12-01-2019 at 04:51 PM.
post #1186 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 05:07 PM

Great. Thanks. So in my set up I probably need to lower the projector further to get closer to the top of the screen. It appears 12 inches above will be too high.

Regards
post #1187 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Great. Thanks. So in my set up I probably need to lower the projector further to get closer to the top of the screen. It appears 12 inches above will be too high.

Regards
@ sage
Mate, a quick check on me mathematics as it has been a a few years (to say the least). Looking ay 106" datliite HP at 10 FT (1080p), calculators say something like 75 ft lumens from my sony pearl.

1. Are the numbers real?
2 all things being equall, which they very rarely are , would it be worth upgrading to a fauxk unit at this viewing distance?

regards
post #1188 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth_davies View Post
@ sage
Mate, a quick check on me mathematics as it has been a a few years (to say the least). Looking ay 106" datliite HP at 10 FT (1080p), calculators say something like 75 ft lumens from my sony pearl.

1. Are the numbers real?
2 all things being equall, which they very rarely are , would it be worth upgrading to a fauxk unit at this viewing distance?

regards

You can use the calculations in this post to see what fL the setup will achieve with the HT5550:
The square surface of an 106" 16:9 screen is 33.37 ft².

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58883652

As for if 4K (faux 4K) will be visible from 1080p from 10ft, it's up to the individual. Things like eye sight, attention to detail, and other factors are involved.
The issue has been discussed here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-shifting.html
post #1189 of 1218 Old 12-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
You can use the calculations in this post to see what fL the setup will achieve with the HT5550:
The square surface of an 106" 16:9 screen is 33.37 ft².

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58883652

As for if 4K (faux 4K) will be visible from 1080p from 10ft, it's up to the individual. Things like eye sight, attention to detail, and other factors are involved.
The issue has been discussed here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-shifting.html
Thanks Mate,

an invaluable reply indeed. Seems, that there should be an upgrade in the path here, as you are aware, its an expense that we (as end users) are always trying to embrace haha.

I must say, that even with an aging bulb (700+ Hours) on high lamp it is still very very bright from the pearl on this screen.

regards and thanks fr your time

Gary

I Must re-iterate, I am very interested in the ht5550 , just trying to get a more personalised example here as I would have to buy blind ( just like the Sony Pearl)

Last edited by gareth_davies; 12-01-2019 at 08:02 PM.
post #1190 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 AM

Does anyone have the measurements of the mounting holes on the bottom of the projector? How far they are from one another? Didn't find the measurements on the online owner's manual. I ordered the HT5550 yesterday from Projector People to take advantage of their Cyber Monday sale. Should have it this Friday. I hope it has the new software 1.01 already installed. Are most of the units shipping already updated?

Regards,
Craig
post #1191 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My HT5550 should be arriving this week. I’ll using it with a Sony UBP-X800 4k player. For 1080P SDR content, should I have the Sony output 1080 and have the projector upscale, or should I set the Sony to output 4K for all source material?

Does anyone have the preferred Video settings for the Sony to get the most out of this projector, including HDR?

Thanks, guys
post #1192 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1137 View Post
My HT5550 should be arriving this week. I’ll using it with a Sony UBP-X800 4k player. For 1080P SDR content, should I have the Sony output 1080 and have the projector upscale, or should I set the Sony to output 4K for all source material?

Does anyone have the preferred Video settings for the Sony to get the most out of this projector, including HDR?

Thanks, guys

I have a Sony X800 paired with the Ht3550.

Honestly, it doesn’t much matter. I currently have the X800 handling all of the upconversion but when I had the BenQ do it looked just as good. I usually trust the display more than the player but in this case, Sony’s upscaling is top notch.

Now the Sony’s HDR-SDR tone mapping on the other hand... don’t use that. Send out HDR and allow the projector to do it’s thing.

post #1193 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m not seeing much in that post that I didn’t expect— are you maybe referring to the optical actuator (the thing that makes the pixels shift)?
No, it is done within the chip. I mean the overall structure and sealing of the light engine.

Quote:
In either case, if dust is a concern, you may want to investigate a hush box.
I guess that is one way to avoid the problem if you have a dedicated HT room where it does not matter how things look like, but I'd rather get projector that is sealed properly to avoid getting problems with dust.
post #1194 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, it is done within the chip.

Actually it’s not. The chip (DMD) is not performing the pixel shift. That is handled by an optical actuator that is oscillated at a frequency of 240Hz.

Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve never had an issue with dust. And that’s on compact, budget minded DLPs and 3LCDs that typically don’t have large, well insulated chassis. All of my projectors are mounted in a living space mere feet away from a sliding door wall that remains open almost 24/7 during the spring/summer months.

Last edited by sage11x; 12-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #1195 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually it’s not. The chip (DMD) is not performing the pixel shift. That is handled by an optical actuator that is oscillated at a frequency of 240Hz.
I thought that part comes included with the chip but regardless, I was just referring to overall light engine and its sealing. The parts inside of it does not much matter if the light engine itself is properly sealed.
post #1196 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth_davies View Post
@ sage

1. Are the numbers real?

regards

Sorry I only now saw this, or was this even addressed to me?

In either case it looks like noob got you. Thanks noob!

post #1197 of 1218 Old 12-03-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1137 View Post

Thanks, guys
I think the projector does a great job on it's own. 1080p content from my Nintendo Switch is razor sharp on the projector, and that's with turning the pixel 4k enhancer down to 3.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #1198 of 1218 Old 12-04-2019, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Does anyone have the measurements of the mounting holes on the bottom of the projector? How far they are from one another?
Craig,
Hope this helps. It should be to scale, as well. -J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BenQ HT5550 mount to scale.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	740.9 KB
ID:	2649176  
post #1199 of 1218 Old 12-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman00 View Post
Craig,
Hope this helps. It should be to scale, as well. -J
Skyman00 - Thanks so much. Very helpful.
post #1200 of 1218 Old 12-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I've seen something similar and it was a reflection off another screen in the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page