BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 632Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
150 inch spandex screen.
I need or want to put the LRC behind the screen. Due to space 80"H x 130"W

Looking for feedback and setup

Room will have dark grey ceiling and walls
Dark floors.
Willing to put black fabric if needed around the screen
Do you have the screen already?
Seating distance?

That projector is rather dim for a screen that size.
This method:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59044294

An 150" screen in 16:9 format is 66.71 ft².
Take a preset and lamp mode from the HT5550 review.
Cinema in Normal lamp is 1226.
1226 / 66.71 = 18.37fL

Depending on where the projector is, the zoom will have an effect:
Zoom Lens Light Loss. At the full telephoto setting, the loss of light compared with the full wide angle setting is 15%.

Use this to determine what zoom is used:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT5550-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Spandex has 0.7-0.9 gain.
18.37 x 0.8 = 14.696fL

12-20fL is recommended for SDR, 30+fL for HDR.

Lamps age with time.

I would suggest you get a 5050UB for such a large screen.


Black velvet near the screen would help in a setup like this.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1232 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
150 inch spandex screen.
I need or want to put the LRC behind the screen. Due to space 80"H x 130"W

Looking for feedback and setup

Room will have dark grey ceiling and walls
Dark floors.
Willing to put black fabric if needed around the screen
Do you have the screen already?
Seating distance?

That projector is rather dim for a screen that size.
This method:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post59044294

An 150" screen in 16:9 format is 66.71 ft².
Take a preset and lamp mode from the HT5550 review.
Cinema in Normal lamp is 1226.
1226 / 66.71 = 18.37fL

Depending on where the projector is, the zoom will have an effect:
Zoom Lens Light Loss. At the full telephoto setting, the loss of light compared with the full wide angle setting is 15%.

Use this to determine what zoom is used:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT5550-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Spandex has 0.7-0.9 gain.
18.37 x 0.8 = 14.696fL

12-20fL is recommended for SDR, 30+fL for HDR.

Lamps age with time.

I would suggest you get a 5050UB for such a large screen.


Black velvet near the screen would help in a setup like this.

Thank you for your feedback.

Out of curiosity.
How did @scottyroo hit 160" screen.
Plus watch sports with some light on.

Or BenQ project onto 170"

If I am not mistaken the gain on those screens were1 - 1.2g

Thanks
Schurter is offline  
post #1233 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

Out of curiosity.
How did @scottyroo hit 160" screen.
Plus watch sports with some light on.

Or BenQ project onto 170"

If I am not mistaken the gain on those screens were1 - 1.2g

Thanks
The values in the previous post were for Vivid in Normal lamp. Vivid has Brilliant Color ON and it can be detrimental to image quality.
Cinema on Normal is 899 lumens.
899 / 66.71 = 13.47fL

On the spandex: 13.47 x 0.8=10.77fL
Lamps loose around 25% of brightness after 500h.
10.77 x 0.75 = 8.07fL (after 500h)

Besides this if the projector is not placed as close as possible (100% zoom) that will decrease the brightness as well.

On top of that this is with Normal lamp, with Eco lamp it's even lower.

Cinema on Eco is 612 / 66.71=9.71fL
The screen 9.71 x 0.8=7.33fL
After 500h 7.33 x 0.75=5.45fL

Fan Noise. BenQ rates Normal mode at 32dB and Economic at 26dB. Both can be heard from anywhere in a small to medium size room during quiet moments, but both are the kind of steady sound that tends to fade into the background. With either Normal or Economic lamp modes, Silence mode didn't lower volume by enough to make much difference.



scottyroo probably tested the projector with sports on Vivid on Normal lamp, while the lamp is new.
1226 / 75.95 ft² (160" screen) = 16.14fL
On a 1.2 screen 16.14 x 1.2=19.37fL


These are the recommended fL values, some people will accept lower values. But 8fL or 5fL (on Eco) after 500h is pretty dim IMO.
noob00224 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1234 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

Out of curiosity.
How did @scottyroo hit 160" screen.
Plus watch sports with some light on.

Or BenQ project onto 170"

If I am not mistaken the gain on those screens were1 - 1.2g

Thanks
The values in the previous post were for Vivid in Normal lamp. Vivid has Brilliant Color ON and it can be detrimental to image quality.
Cinema on Normal is 899 lumens.
899 / 66.71 = 13.47fL

On the spandex: 13.47 x 0.8=10.77fL
Lamps loose around 25% of brightness after 500h.
10.77 x 0.75 = 8.07fL (after 500h)

Besides this if the projector is not placed as close as possible (100% zoom) that will decrease the brightness as well.

On top of that this is with Normal lamp, with Eco lamp it's even lower.

Cinema on Eco is 612 / 66.71=9.71fL
The screen 9.71 x 0.8=7.33fL
After 500h 7.33 x 0.75=5.45fL

Fan Noise. BenQ rates Normal mode at 32dB and Economic at 26dB. Both can be heard from anywhere in a small to medium size room during quiet moments, but both are the kind of steady sound that tends to fade into the background. With either Normal or Economic lamp modes, Silence mode didn't lower volume by enough to make much difference.



scottyroo probably tested the projector with sports on Vivid on Normal lamp, while the lamp is new.
1226 / 75.95 ft² (160" screen) = 16.14fL
On a 1.2 screen 16.14 x 1.2=19.37fL


These are the recommended fL values, some people will accept lower values. But 8fL or 5fL (on Eco) after 500h is pretty dim IMO.
Thank you for your feedback.

I really like the way this projector looks.

But if 150 inch spandex screen can't be done. I'll look at the 5050
Schurter is offline  
post #1235 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

I really like the way this projector looks.

But if 150 inch spandex screen can't be done. I'll look at the 5050

If you want to keep it maybe decrease the size of the screen and move the seating further.

Or/and get a screen with a higher gain, 1.3 at the most.

LE: there are acoustic transparent positive gain screens.

Last edited by noob00224; 01-04-2020 at 04:46 PM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1236 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 04:46 PM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Noticed what looks like a dead pixel last night. At first I thought it was on the content I was watching, but ruled that out, as well as the screen.

I cleaned the front of the lens with a cloth, but it's still there.

I don't know if this is a piece of dust in the lens housing, or a problem with one of the mirrors. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
diablo900t is offline  
post #1237 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
Noticed what looks like a dead pixel last night. At first I thought it was on the content I was watching, but ruled that out, as well as the screen.

I cleaned the front of the lens with a cloth, but it's still there.

I don't know if this is a piece of dust in the lens housing, or a problem with one of the mirrors. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Use the zoom up and down to see if it's a dust particle.
Or use High Altitude and see if it moves.

Don't try to clean the lens, but (after it's cooled), lightly with a microfiber cloth brush over where the spot would be.
diablo900t likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1238 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 05:10 PM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Use the zoom up and down to see if it's a dust particle.
Or use High Altitude and see if it moves.

Don't try to clean the lens, but (after it's cooled), lightly with a microfiber cloth brush over where the spot would be.
Thanks! By zoom do you mean the Aspect Ratio or Overscan settings? I tried both of them and it was in the same spot each time.

Have started running with High Altitude on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
diablo900t is offline  
post #1239 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
Thanks! By zoom do you mean the Aspect Ratio or Overscan settings? I tried both of them and it was in the same spot each time.

Have started running with High Altitude on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
The actual zoom on the projector, the dials.

Just start High Altitude to see if it moves, don't keep it on.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1240 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
The actual zoom on the projector, the dials.

Just start High Altitude to see if it moves, don't keep it on.
Got it. So High Altitude didn't move it at all, changing the zoom the spot moved as I zoomed in and out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
diablo900t is offline  
post #1241 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
Got it. So High Altitude didn't move it at all, changing the zoom the spot moved as I zoomed in and out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Is it there all the time, changing size linearly as the zoom is moved?
Does it change shape or consistency?

If not it's a stuck dmd mirror and not a dust particle.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1242 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:37 PM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Is it there all the time, changing size linearly as the zoom is moved?
Does it change shape or consistency?

If not it's a stuck dmd mirror and not a dust particle.
It's there the entire time and in the same relative area of the screen regardless of zoom, it's still sort of smack dab in the middle of the screen. I have a bad feeling it's a stuck DMD mirror...

I noticed it like a day or two ago, so it's something new.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
diablo900t is offline  
post #1243 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
It's there the entire time and in the same relative area of the screen regardless of zoom, it's still sort of smack dab in the middle of the screen. I have a bad feeling it's a stuck DMD mirror...

I noticed it like a day or two ago, so it's something new.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I had a stuck white pixel once, but it went away.

On flat panels there is a method of unstucking them by a video with fast flasing colors.
But in this case it's not colors that it would need to alternate, is black and white. Don't know if this would actually fix anything.

Best to contact Benq since this is not something that you can do yourself, unless it goes away.
diablo900t likes this.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1244 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Thank you for your feedback.

I really like the way this projector looks.

But if 150 inch spandex screen can't be done. I'll look at the 5050

If you want to keep it maybe decrease the size of the screen and move the seating further.

Or/and get a screen with a higher gain, 1.3 at the most.

LE: there are acoustic transparent positive gain screens.
I could drop to 140"
AT screens are so Dame expensive
Schurter is offline  
post #1245 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
I could drop to 140"
AT screens are so Dame expensive
I would get something that provides the best image.

Do you already have the spandex screen?

LE: 140" screen has 58.12 ft².
899 (Cinema, Full lamp) / 58.12=15.46fL
Spandex screen: 15.46 x 0.8=12.37fL
After 500h 12.37 x 0.75=9.28fL

Some people claim the recommended fL value for SDR in a room with dark walls is 10-12fL. But that may be a personal preference.

How far away is the projector from the wall/screen, or how far away can it be placed?

Have you tested the projector? If yes, how big is the screen, and what surface is the wall, or the screen?


Post a new thread here, maybe someone has info about a positive gain AT screen:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/

Last edited by noob00224; 01-04-2020 at 07:12 PM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1246 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
I could drop to 140"
AT screens are so Dame expensive
I would get something that provides the best image.

Do you already have the spandex screen?

LE: 140" screen has 58.12 ft².
899 (Cinema, Full lamp) / 58.12=15.46fL
Spandex screen: 15.46 x 0.8=12.37fL
After 500h 12.37 x 0.75=9.28fL

Some people claim the recommended fL value for SDR in a room with dark walls is 10-12fL. But that may be a personal preference.

How far away is the projector from the wall/screen, or how far away can it be placed?

Have you tested the projector? If yes, how big is the screen, and what surface is the wall, or the screen?


Post a new thread here, maybe someone has info about a positive gain AT screen:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/

I don't have to do spandex. It just budget friendly and provides a very good image.

Placement can be 12 - 20+ ft.

I have not test the project. Just going off reviews on YouTube.

I have a jvc x35 on a 120. looking to upgrade.

The jvc are out of my price range now with 2 kids lol.
Schurter is offline  
post #1247 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
I don't have to do spandex. It just budget friendly and provides a very good image.

Placement can be 12 - 20+ ft.

I have not test the project. Just going off reviews on YouTube.

I have a jvc x35 on a 120. looking to upgrade.

The jvc are out of my price range now with 2 kids lol.

I highly recommend you start a new thread in the sub forum. I'm not too familiar with positive gain AT screens.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/

Both of these models, the 5050UB and HT5550 will have an inferior contrast to the x35.
JVC's are not out of reach. B stock JVC NX5 is about the same price as the 5050UB. You have to contact a dealer since the price can't be advertised because it's under MSRP.
But for 150" might be pushing it. They are brighter than the HT5550.
This is the NX7, which is rated 100 lumens over the NX5:



Cinema in Low lamp is 955 lumens. 955 / 66.71 = 14.31fL
After 500h 14.31fL x 0.75 = 10.73fL
Spandex 10.73 x 0.8 = 8.58fL

With an 1.3 gain 14.31 x 1.3 = 18.6fL
After 500h = 13.95fL

An 140" screen = 955 / 58.12 = 16.43fL
With the 1.3 gain screen = 21.36 fL
After 500h = 16.02fL

For 150" the closest it can be placed is 14'11". The closer a projector is, the brighter it is.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC...ulator-pro.htm
noob00224 is online now  
post #1248 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Another option would be the previous generation of used JVC 4K (pixel shifter), which is still an upgrade from the x35:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Keep an eye out for a used JVC RS-400/420/440 in the classifieds, or contact some JVC dealers and see if they have any expected B-stocks incoming... The older JVC's prior to the RS-400 are not that good for a 120" screen, the RS-49 is so so ok, as it's a little brighter. The RS-45/46 isn't bright enough, I wouldn't use it on anything larger than 100" really. Plus the RS-45 and earlier have bulb issues, that's why the RS-45 sells for so much less than the RS-46.

If you do any gaming, than you will need the RS-420 or later, none of the earlier JVC's have a low-lag mode. Lag is about 38ms for the RS-420 in low lag mode. The RS-400 also doesn't have low-lag mode even though it's basically the same projector as the RS-420/440. Very casual gaming is possible on the older JVC's, but lag time is 120-140 ms, so definitely 'very casual' only.

If you are not familiar with the JVC lineup, the most recent ones are the NX series (5/7/9), and the previous generation was the JVC RS-440/540/640. Then before that the 420's and 400's. Finally, before that series --- was the RS-49, 4810, 46, 45, 40 etc... Add a 5/6 in front and it is the same year, hence RS-56/66 is the year same as the RS-46, but the 56 has higher contrast.

I picked up a B-stock RS-420 and it's an extraordinary projector. This thing is loaded with features to keep you busy forever. Auto-Cal Gamma, uploadable HDR curves, manual aperture allows you to EXACTLY and precisely set light output, extremely bright in low lamp mode and incredibly quiet.

The fact it's native is 25,000:1 + it has the manual aperture and the dynamic iris can go well over 200,000:1, and that isn't marketing spec, that's actual measured specs. The Sony and Epson are like 5000:1 Native, maybe a bit higher. I'd probably take the Epson refurb over the Sony these days, since at least the Epson can take a 4k streaming signal. Although you could also get a 4k streaming signal on a regular 1080p projector with some devices that can do a downscale, it's better to have 4k e-shift for streaming.

Ironically the biggest improvement with 4k e-shift projectors is the streaming. Since streaming is inherently degraded, the 4k stream often looks Bluray quality or even slightly above. Definitely worth it in that sense, it's not the e-shift improving the image so much as it is the higher bandwidth from the streaming services.

Also, these RS-400+ JVC's are brighter and better blacks than the Sony.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1249 of 1265 Old 01-04-2020, 10:15 PM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Another option would be the previous generation of used JVC 4K (pixel shifter), which is still an upgrade from the x35:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Keep an eye out for a used JVC RS-400/420/440 in the classifieds, or contact some JVC dealers and see if they have any expected B-stocks incoming... The older JVC's prior to the RS-400 are not that good for a 120" screen, the RS-49 is so so ok, as it's a little brighter. The RS-45/46 isn't bright enough, I wouldn't use it on anything larger than 100" really. Plus the RS-45 and earlier have bulb issues, that's why the RS-45 sells for so much less than the RS-46.

If you do any gaming, than you will need the RS-420 or later, none of the earlier JVC's have a low-lag mode. Lag is about 38ms for the RS-420 in low lag mode. The RS-400 also doesn't have low-lag mode even though it's basically the same projector as the RS-420/440. Very casual gaming is possible on the older JVC's, but lag time is 120-140 ms, so definitely 'very casual' only.

If you are not familiar with the JVC lineup, the most recent ones are the NX series (5/7/9), and the previous generation was the JVC RS-440/540/640. Then before that the 420's and 400's. Finally, before that series --- was the RS-49, 4810, 46, 45, 40 etc... Add a 5/6 in front and it is the same year, hence RS-56/66 is the year same as the RS-46, but the 56 has higher contrast.

I picked up a B-stock RS-420 and it's an extraordinary projector. This thing is loaded with features to keep you busy forever. Auto-Cal Gamma, uploadable HDR curves, manual aperture allows you to EXACTLY and precisely set light output, extremely bright in low lamp mode and incredibly quiet.

The fact it's native is 25,000:1 + it has the manual aperture and the dynamic iris can go well over 200,000:1, and that isn't marketing spec, that's actual measured specs. The Sony and Epson are like 5000:1 Native, maybe a bit higher. I'd probably take the Epson refurb over the Sony these days, since at least the Epson can take a 4k streaming signal. Although you could also get a 4k streaming signal on a regular 1080p projector with some devices that can do a downscale, it's better to have 4k e-shift for streaming.

Ironically the biggest improvement with 4k e-shift projectors is the streaming. Since streaming is inherently degraded, the 4k stream often looks Bluray quality or even slightly above. Definitely worth it in that sense, it's not the e-shift improving the image so much as it is the higher bandwidth from the streaming services.

Also, these RS-400+ JVC's are brighter and better blacks than the Sony.
Again
Thank you for your time
Schurter is offline  
post #1250 of 1265 Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
I could drop to 140"
AT screens are so Dame expensive
I had an 150 inch screen, light controlled room, and the HT5550. My screen gain was 1.0 and the projector was bright enough. If you can get a screen with a little more gain, should be fine.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 Two Channel AMPs: Parasound JC 1 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
Dferguso is offline  
post #1251 of 1265 Old 01-05-2020, 10:31 PM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
144" screen with 1.1 gain. Cost $200. I'm satisfied with the brightness for all normal material, will still make me squint on bright scenes. Zoom is in the middle of the range. I am NOT, satisfied with the brightness in 3D however.
vidwiz is offline  
post #1252 of 1265 Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
I could drop to 140"
AT screens are so Dame expensive
I had an 150 inch screen, light controlled room, and the HT5550. My screen gain was 1.0 and the projector was bright enough. If you can get a screen with a little more gain, should be fine.
Can you give more details about your setup

Everyone keeps saying hdr wonk work not enough output
Schurter is offline  
post #1253 of 1265 Old 01-06-2020, 07:48 AM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
144" screen with 1.1 gain. Cost $200. I'm satisfied with the brightness for all normal material, will still make me squint on bright scenes. Zoom is in the middle of the range. I am NOT, satisfied with the brightness in 3D however.
Can you give more details on your setup

Again people are saying hdr will not work.


I am looking at the 5050 right now.

I believe it checks more boxes for what I am looking for
Schurter is offline  
post #1254 of 1265 Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I had both in my house comparing side by side I chose the Benq. Epson certainly has the brightness tho and lens control is great. My hdr works fine and really enjoy the sharpness and motion rendering of the 5550. Your mileage and/or opinion may vary.
vidwiz is offline  
post #1255 of 1265 Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Can you give more details on your setup

Again people are saying hdr will not work.


I am looking at the 5050 right now.

I believe it checks more boxes for what I am looking for
HDR was designed as a TV feature, for displays that can hit 700-1000 nits or more.

Projectors can't be that bright, so each manufacturer has an algorithm that tone maps the HDR signal to what the projector is capable of.

One feature of HDR that SDR does not have is highlights (bright objects/rays of light/etc). In order to fit the highlights and the lower brightness image, the projector needs to be brighter than it would otherwise be required in SDR.
So it squeezes the non highlight portion of the image (SDR like portion) to make room for the highlights.
If the projector is not bright enough, the SDR like portion might be too dim. This is subject to personal preference.
noob00224 is online now  
post #1256 of 1265 Old 01-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Can you give more details about your setup

Everyone keeps saying hdr wonk work not enough output
The HT5550 was just over 15 ft from the screen to get the image to fill 150" diagonal. Screen gain 1.0 and is non AT. I had to use max zoom. Seating position from the screen is 15 Ft. Little to no ambient light, none at night. There is a forum member named @krain . Used his settings for SDR and HDR. No issue with a lack of brightness and 3D on this DLP is amazing. If you can get a dealer or maybe even the manufacturers to let you try their projectors for a few days in your environment, that would be ideal.

I was going back and forth between the Epson and the Benq. Finally decided on the Benq because the image was sharper. @scottyroo in a very early post showed a close up of the Epson and the Benq. You could see the screen door with the Epson. Image quality was important to me because my front row would be 9 feet from a 150" screen.
DunMunro likes this.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 Two Channel AMPs: Parasound JC 1 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.

Last edited by Dferguso; 01-06-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Dferguso is offline  
post #1257 of 1265 Old 01-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
I had a stuck white pixel once, but it went away.

On flat panels there is a method of unstucking them by a video with fast flasing colors.
But in this case it's not colors that it would need to alternate, is black and white. Don't know if this would actually fix anything.

Best to contact Benq since this is not something that you can do yourself, unless it goes away.
Ended up getting through to BenQ support today and they're sending me a replacement projector. I had one of the first units that shipped back in April, so I'll post any impressions on differences and manufacture date.
diablo900t is offline  
post #1258 of 1265 Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Schurter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dferguso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
Can you give more details about your setup

Everyone keeps saying hdr wonk work not enough output
The HT5550 was just over 15 ft from the screen to get the image to fill 150" diagonal. Screen gain 1.0 and is non AT. I had to use max zoom. Seating position from the screen is 15 Ft. Little to no ambient light, none at night. There is a forum member named @krain . Used his settings for SDR and HDR. No issue with a lack of brightness and 3D on this DLP is amazing. If you can get a dealer or maybe even the manufacturers to let you try their projectors for a few days in your environment, that would be ideal.

I was going back and forth between the Epson and the Benq. Finally decided on the Benq because the image was sharper. @scottyroo in a very early post showed a close up of the Epson and the Benq. You could see the screen door with the Epson. Image quality was important to me because my front row would be 9 feet from a 150" screen.
I can't find any info on kraine and 150" screen and settings would like to read it
Schurter is offline  
post #1259 of 1265 Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 AM
Member
 
diablo900t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As a data point, I'm following up on a replacement HT5550 I received yesterday.

My original unit (March 2019 MFG date) developed a stuck micromirror. The new unit has a August 2019 MFG date.

Some impressions:
1. Much quieter dynamic Iris. This is significantly less noticable than my original unit. I can barely hear it. Note that my original unit had to be sent back for updates to the Iris and firmware back in the summer.

2. Less "pumping" due to DI. I still have more testing to do, specifically with how subtitles look, but in the 2 hours I watched last night, I couldn't detect brightness changing due to the Iris being engaged. It was pretty evident on the old model.

3. Wayyyy quieter switching between SDR and HDR. My original unit made a loud noise when switching between those modes or enabling the color filter.

4. Better color reproduction? I'm basing this off of the included calibration report as well. The one on the left is my original unit, the right is the new one. It might be hard to tell, but the report for the new projector shows better coverage of both rec 709 and DCI-P3.

On the negative side, the first time I turned on the new unit, half the screen was blank. Restarting the unit fixed it, and it hasn't returned since.

In addition, there is a bright spot that appears far outside of the expected image range. I thought it was something on my wall (roughly 1 foot above the top left corner), but apparently it's the projector. Going to try and troubleshoot this one further.

I'm going to keep the new unit for now, depending on if I can isolate/mitigate the spot, but the performance and noise are much improved.



Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
LVS likes this.

Last edited by diablo900t; 01-15-2020 at 07:18 AM.
diablo900t is offline  
post #1260 of 1265 Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
vidwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
On the negative side, the first time I turned on the new unit, half the screen was blank. Restarting the unit fixed it, and it hasn't returned since.
I've seen this a couple of times and reboot fixed it as well.
vidwiz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off