BenQ W5700 / HT5550 4K 100% DCI-P3 Projector Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 639Likes

post #1261 of 1297 Old 01-15-2020, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo900t View Post
As a data point, I'm following up on a replacement HT5550 I received yesterday.

My original unit (March 2019 MFG date) developed a stuck micromirror. The new unit has a August 2019 MFG date.

Some impressions:
1. Much quieter dynamic Iris. This is significantly less noticable than my original unit. I can barely hear it. Note that my original unit had to be sent back for updates to the Iris and firmware back in the summer.

2. Less "pumping" due to DI. I still have more testing to do, specifically with how subtitles look, but in the 2 hours I watched last night, I couldn't detect brightness changing due to the Iris being engaged. It was pretty evident on the old model.

3. Wayyyy quieter switching between SDR and HDR. My original unit made a loud noise when switching between those modes or enabling the color filter.

4. Better color reproduction? I'm basing this off of the included calibration report as well. The one on the left is my original unit, the right is the new one. It might be hard to tell, but the report for the new projector shows better coverage of both rec 709 and DCI-P3.

On the negative side, the first time I turned on the new unit, half the screen was blank. Restarting the unit fixed it, and it hasn't returned since.

In addition, there is a bright spot that appears far outside of the expected image range. I thought it was something on my wall (roughly 1 foot above the top left corner), but apparently it's the projector. Going to try and troubleshoot this one further.

I'm going to keep the new unit for now, depending on if I can isolate/mitigate the spot, but the performance and noise are much improved.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
hello mate
i have a march manufactured w5700 need to send in for update
i have always wondered if the hdr10 mode is calibrated? or is it just dcinema preset?
another thing i'm struggerling with is to get an even focus all the way accross , its always one side that is very slightly out of focus, tried all sorts to fix wondering if it's the lens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1297 Old 01-15-2020, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanderz View Post
hello mate

i have a march manufactured w5700 need to send in for update

i have always wondered if the hdr10 mode is calibrated? or is it just dcinema preset?

another thing i'm struggerling with is to get an even focus all the way accross , its always one side that is very slightly out of focus, tried all sorts to fix wondering if it's the lens
I believe it is only calibrated for SDR in the D. Cinema and Cinema modes. Would be great if HDR was calibrated too.

As far as focus goes, I had similar issues, i think it more has to do with getting the projector lens level and being delicate with the focus dial. I had some issues with it too, but got it pretty uniform across the screen.

djanderz likes this.
post #1263 of 1297 Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I believe it is only calibrated for SDR in the D. Cinema and Cinema modes. Would be great if HDR was calibrated too.

As far as focus goes, I had similar issues, i think it more has to do with getting the projector lens level and being delicate with the focus dial. I had some issues with it too, but got it pretty uniform across the screen.

thats a shame, as most 4k content is hdr so makes the calibration a little bit pointless unless you switch off hdr. it still has great picture quality either way just the d.cinema has deeper colors and better blacks

i only notice out of focus on small text, i think the room is not perfectly square so probably that dosent help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1297 Old 01-16-2020, 05:20 PM

Here is the bright spot that my replacement projector has. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but it's far outside the boundary of the test pattern as you can see on my wall.

I'm not sure at this point I want to ask for yet another replacement, but it is noticable and annoying.

Last edited by diablo900t; 01-17-2020 at 07:26 AM.
post #1265 of 1297 Old 01-17-2020, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if I have missed it.

Any one have feedback or info on 150 inch screen and setup.

I am guessing at this size hdr is a no go
post #1266 of 1297 Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
As a data point, I'm following up on a replacement HT5550 I received yesterday.

My original unit (March 2019 MFG date) developed a stuck micromirror. The new unit has a August 2019 MFG date.

Some impressions:
1. Much quieter dynamic Iris. This is significantly less noticable than my original unit. I can barely hear it. Note that my original unit had to be sent back for updates to the Iris and firmware back in the summer.

2. Less "pumping" due to DI. I still have more testing to do, specifically with how subtitles look, but in the 2 hours I watched last night, I couldn't detect brightness changing due to the Iris being engaged. It was pretty evident on the old model.

3. Wayyyy quieter switching between SDR and HDR. My original unit made a loud noise when switching between those modes or enabling the color filter.

4. Better color reproduction? I'm basing this off of the included calibration report as well. The one on the left is my original unit, the right is the new one. It might be hard to tell, but the report for the new projector shows better coverage of both rec 709 and DCI-P3.

On the negative side, the first time I turned on the new unit, half the screen was blank. Restarting the unit fixed it, and it hasn't returned since.

In addition, there is a bright spot that appears far outside of the expected image range. I thought it was something on my wall (roughly 1 foot above the top left corner), but apparently it's the projector. Going to try and troubleshoot this one further.

I'm going to keep the new unit for now, depending on if I can isolate/mitigate the spot, but the performance and noise are much improved.

Is there any indication there has been any changes made to this 5550 with regard to noisy iris issue? I purchased my unit in September and sent in directly to Benq for the firmware update but my unit is still noisy when the iris is adjusting and it still pumps the brightness on occation. very annoying. Upon initial startup the fan seems to be unusually noisy too.
post #1267 of 1297 Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler View Post
Is there any indication there has been any changes made to this 5550 with regard to noisy iris issue? I purchased my unit in September and sent in directly to Benq for the firmware update but my unit is still noisy when the iris is adjusting and it still pumps the brightness on occation. very annoying. Upon initial startup the fan seems to be unusually noisy too.
I can't tell for sure if there's any true hardware difference. I can still hear it, but it doesn't seem to be as noticable as my launch unit. The bigger difference to me is the launch unit I noticed the iris changing brightness quite often, almost with every scene change if it went from bright to dark scenes. With the new unit, the only times I noticed it was if there was a bright light that was obstructed as someone walked in front of it and out of it.
post #1268 of 1297 Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't tell for sure if there's any true hardware difference. I can still hear it, but it doesn't seem to be as noticable as my launch unit. The bigger difference to me is the launch unit I noticed the iris changing brightness quite often, almost with every scene change if it went from bright to dark scenes. With the new unit, the only times I noticed it was if there was a bright light that was obstructed as someone walked in front of it and out of it.
Thank you for the reply. Mine still changed brightness but not as bad as prior to the firmware upgrade. It is however still just as loud when the iris adjusts.
post #1269 of 1297 Old 01-27-2020, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hi All -

I just found this projector when shopping for a new one.

Currently have the Optoma UHD65 - Considering the Sony VPL-VW295ES, but then I saw this, which seems like a decent middle road between the two. $5k regardless of the quality is still a lot to spend on a projector - $2500 less so.

Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Thank you!
post #1270 of 1297 Old 01-28-2020, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Currently have a Sony VPL-HW40es in my dedicated room. My bulb is having issues so I want to make the move to 4K and have been looking at the HT5550. Does anyone have any insight into if the BenQ will be a better projector? I have heard from a lot of people that HW40ES is a damn good projector and moving to any of the current 4K projectors will be a downgrade... is that still the case?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my theater build thread Theater on the Fairways Build
post #1271 of 1297 Old 02-03-2020, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurter View Post
I can't find any info on kraine and 150" screen and settings would like to read it
Scratch that. I got the settings from Scott's Youtube review of the HT5550. I played the video, paused it, then used the settings he showed on screen. The settings are after 25 minute mark:
. Sorry about that.

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 Two Channel AMPs: Parasound JC 1 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #1272 of 1297 Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Here is the bright spot that my replacement projector has. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but it's far outside the boundary of the test pattern as you can see on my wall.

I'm not sure at this point I want to ask for yet another replacement, but it is noticable and annoying.

BenQ sent me another replacement, this time a refurbished unit manufactured in June of 2019. Performance seems similar to the August 2019 unit, but this unit did not come with a calibration report card in the box. I'm on the fence about living with the spot, or taking this refurbished unit. It did come with a brand new lamp (or at least it says 0 hours).

Thoughts on sticking with the refurb unit, or the new one from August 2019? Note: I'd have to live with the bright spot outside of the image area with the Aug unit.
post #1273 of 1297 Old 02-05-2020, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys, I am looking to purchasing a BenQ W5700 (HT5550) from BenQ UK.

Can you please tell me if this is a good projector to purchase?

I have been reading most comments on this forum and would appreciate
any comments, positive or negative.

Many thanks,

Pete.
post #1274 of 1297 Old 02-05-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilzo75 View Post
Hi guys, I am looking to purchasing a BenQ W5700 (HT5550) from BenQ UK.

Can you please tell me if this is a good projector to purchase?

I have been reading most comments on this forum and would appreciate

any comments, positive or negative.

Many thanks,

Pete.
I can only speak about my experience with the US version, but I had 1 issue and overall a very good experience with BenQ customer service.

Things were a bit rocky at launch with some folks having irises that made grinding noises, and then needing to be sent in for the new firmware.

My launch unit developed a stuck micromirror that BenQ replaced and the newer models seem much better overall in terms of performance and color gamut. I wish reviewers had the newer crop to test.

I am very happy with the image quality of the projector, I think it's fantastic for the price. Has my overall experience been perfect? No, some bugs along the way, but I wasn't without a projector for any period of time.

My only wishlist item would be calibration for HDR10 from the factory.

post #1275 of 1297 Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helander View Post
Hi All -

I just found this projector when shopping for a new one.

Currently have the Optoma UHD65 - Considering the Sony VPL-VW295ES, but then I saw this, which seems like a decent middle road between the two. $5k regardless of the quality is still a lot to spend on a projector - $2500 less so.

Any thoughts or opinions on that?

Thank you!
Hardware:
UHD65 is using DMD 4K chip 0.66'' which is base on native pixcel 2716*1528 shift to 3840*2160. HT5550 and HT3550 are using 0.47 chip base on native pixcel 1920*1080 shift to 4K. HT5550 & HT3550 equip mechanism Dynamic Iris which is to improve and control the light output efficiently.

2D picture quality
With larger DMD chip, UHD65 creates much clarity picture, and better native contrast than HT5550/ HT3550. I also measured these there mid-range DLP PJs and came to the same result. When the judgement including Dynamic Iris, contrast of UHD65 and HT5550/HT3550 can be concluded as equal.

2D color reproduction
PRO: HT3550/HT550 equip WCG filter which make they reproduce P3 gamut to achieve 4K modern movie industrial standard. CON: Brightness loss around 30% as WCG filter engaged. But WCG can be on and off which makes it much more adjustable. Also as per measurement, HT3550/ HT5550 can reproduce Rec. 709 Gamut at least brightness 14FL under 135'' screen.

UHD65 can only produce Rec. 709 Gamut, the light output can be achieve at least 14FL under 135'' screen as well.

As to Sony VPL-VW295ES in SXDR technology is so different to DLP, it produces darker scene which makes the picture looks more depth and detail. 3LCD PJs also produce rich RGB color brightness. Electrical Lens shift is also one of the advantages. However, compare sharpness with DLP, not only Sony can't compete DLP, those LCD technology bases suffer the same sharpness weakness. Talking about long lasting color accuracy, DLP would win this game. 3LCD has different RGB panels fading. For those who care about color accuracy, it is better to suggest calibration each 500hrs. Overall speaking, UHD65/HT5550/HT3550 and VPL-V295ES are not at the same level.

As I notice you have dedicate HT, I believe best tune these PJs can do their best job in your cave.

BDP:Sony UBP-X800 LCR:M&K MPS2510 Surround:M&K MPS1625×4 SUB:Rythmik FV15HP HT Prepro:Lexicon MC12B EQ/Anthem MRX510 Power Amp:Lexicon RX7
Stereo:Music server HTPC i5 Jriver Preamp:Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB Power Amp:Monarchy Audio SE-100 Pure Class A mono mono PJ: HT3550, Acoustical 135” gain 1.2 ** HDR Setting of HT3550** Measurement of HT5550

Last edited by jimchao; 02-06-2020 at 08:07 AM.
post #1276 of 1297 Old 02-06-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I can only speak about my experience with the US version, but I had 1 issue and overall a very good experience with BenQ customer service.

Things were a bit rocky at launch with some folks having irises that made grinding noises, and then needing to be sent in for the new firmware.

My launch unit developed a stuck micromirror that BenQ replaced and the newer models seem much better overall in terms of performance and color gamut. I wish reviewers had the newer crop to test.

I am very happy with the image quality of the projector, I think it's fantastic for the price. Has my overall experience been perfect? No, some bugs along the way, but I wasn't without a projector for any period of time.

My only wishlist item would be calibration for HDR10 from the factory.

Thank you.
post #1277 of 1297 Old 02-07-2020, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Regarding the noisy Iris, I notice upon powering on and powering off a grinding sound from the projector's internals. Is this normal? I am comparing it to an Epson 5050ub which silently turns on and off.

Tony
post #1278 of 1297 Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post
Regarding the noisy Iris, I notice upon powering on and powering off a grinding sound from the projector's internals. Is this normal? I am comparing it to an Epson 5050ub which silently turns on and off.
I have observed the same thing. There's 2 types of that sound, on/off, and then an extended version of it if you are D. Cinema or have WCG on.

I don't think it's the iris, but something being placed in front of the light path (like the color filter for WCG).

I think it's completely normal, if a little off-putting.

post #1279 of 1297 Old 02-07-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have observed the same thing. There's 2 types of that sound, on/off, and then an extended version of it if you are D. Cinema or have WCG on.

I don't think it's the iris, but something being placed in front of the light path (like the color filter for WCG).

I think it's completely normal, if a little off-putting.

I typically have D cinema on, so that is probably it. My next concern is whether I have the upgraded firmware, since it seems it needs to go in the shop to have it installed. The projector was manufactured in June 2019, so I don't know if that was before or after the firmware upgrade. I will check on it when I get home from work.

Tony
post #1280 of 1297 Old 02-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I typically have D cinema on, so that is probably it. My next concern is whether I have the upgraded firmware, since it seems it needs to go in the shop to have it installed. The projector was manufactured in June 2019, so I don't know if that was before or after the firmware upgrade. I will check on it when I get home from work.
If you go into the menus there should be a version number listed on the last page. 1.0.1 is the most recent AFAIK, or if you have Dynamic Iris options of Low, Medium and High, then you have the most recent firmware.
post #1281 of 1297 Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I will check when I get home.

Tony
post #1282 of 1297 Old 02-07-2020, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I will check when I get home.
Yes, I do have the latest firmware.
diablo900t likes this.

Tony
post #1283 of 1297 Old 02-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do have the latest firmware.
Great! Curious to hear what you think about it compared to the Epson. I owned a 2040 and the ghosting and motion blur turned me off from LCD projectors.

post #1284 of 1297 Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
The latest firmware is 1.0.3, this can only be installed by sending off the unit to BenQ.

This is what i heard from youtube videos and forums.
post #1285 of 1297 Old 02-12-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elavarasan View Post
The latest firmware is 1.0.3, this can only be installed by sending off the unit to BenQ.

This is what i heard from youtube videos and forums.
Do you have a link? I know the HT3550 has a higher firmware number. I really hope we don't have to send units back for updates again, that is extremely inconvenient.
post #1286 of 1297 Old 02-12-2020, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Never heard 1.0.3. Please advise which video or forum u heard from. Thanks in advance 🙏🏻
Actually I also heard one had to send it back to factory even when u upgrade to 1.0.1. However, when I contact BenQ factory in Taiwan about this, they sent me a file(1.0.1 version) thru email n I download it to a thumb drive n do it this way. I did ask again n they said no need to send them the unit.
My unit was built in March 2019.

By the way, what did they add on from 1.0.1 to 1.0.3 ?

Man see things as they are n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR

Last edited by ac388; 02-12-2020 at 05:26 AM.
post #1287 of 1297 Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 140
AFAIK, if you sent your ht5550 to Benq for the initial firmware update (or purchased one that was already upgraded), future updates can be done by the user.
post #1288 of 1297 Old 02-12-2020, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
AFAIK, if you sent your ht5550 to Benq for the initial firmware update (or purchased one that was already upgraded), future updates can be done by the user.
I certainly hope this is true. I have already sent my unit in once and frankly im not sure what it fixed as mines still have the iris flicker and noise.
post #1289 of 1297 Old 02-13-2020, 06:59 AM

Liked: 1
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed earlier that there are actually two 1.0.1 firmware updates.
One can be updated by user - this one is not fixing loud iris issue.
And one can be flashed only in service center as it updates firmware of TI chip.
Latest update fixes issue with loud iris.
When you send your unit to service center, they update both firmwares.
Since they both carry version number 1.0.1 it is misleading.
maglo125 likes this.
post #1290 of 1297 Old 02-13-2020, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmeller View Post
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed earlier that there are actually two 1.0.1 firmware updates.

One can be updated by user - this one is not fixing loud iris issue.

And one can be flashed only in service center as it updates firmware of TI chip.

Latest update fixes issue with loud iris.

When you send your unit to service center, they update both firmwares.

Since they both carry version number 1.0.1 it is misleading.

It’s confirmed by BenQ the latest firmware version is v1.0.1 and currently there’s no V1.0.3. BenQ will take care the initial firmware update process to ensure your HT5550 to perform at its best with the firmware upgrade, which adds new features, including “Anamorphic 2.4:1” & “Anamorphic 16:9” mode and “HDMI Equalizer” to improve HDMI compatibility, etc. Some bugs will also be fixed for optimal viewing experience. Please contact BenQ’s customer care team if you have any further questions about the firmware upgrade of your HT5550. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maglo125 and maglo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page