Need Advice, Fix my BenQ W108st vs Replacement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By tylerweitzman

post #1 of 24 Old 02-15-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Need Advice, Fix my BenQ W108st vs Replacement

Hello Everyone,

Lately I have a Projector dilemma; own my beloved BenQ W1080st since 2013 and 8K hrs in it (2 lamps)... Last time my lamp went out after 2,500 Hrs with a "OE Lamp" (Find out is not the same as OEM Lamp), had to wait close to 1 yr to have the opportunity to purchase a New OEM Lamp and just did it few weeks ago but during the replacement find out my Color Wheel Flex cable was pinch (my fault w/previous lamp replacement) and had to purchase a new OEM Color Wheel, then watch a maintenance video for the W1080st in YouTube and while was great I damage the Turbine Fan (again purchase a new one). The issue is that now after 50 Hrs of use Lamp goes out and need to RMA at B&H (no issues there), same time I contacted the owner from the YouTube Channel (Good People) who had help me a lot and explain me the Fan I purchase have all the numbers and may fir perfect but the turbine speed and air flow is not the same, causing a small over heat to the lamp and he found and recommend a full set for all fans for the W1080st and should fix the issue...etc

Between the OEM Color Wheel Not so good Turbine Fan and the OEM Lamp I had spend little over $400.00 and if choose to replace all fans another $50.00... I had spoken with B&H and I can credit the lamp $230.00 tour a new Projector if I choose and I'm between Fix vs Purchase... I'm aiming a Short Throw (if Purchase) with similar throw as my "Beloved" W1080st (before lamp went out looks great) but this time I also looking for better replacement lamp price and longer bulb life (I do like my TV Series and Excellent 3D Movies) and the ST Projector can not be over 1k (the less the better)... Must have great 3D room have light control (Day time not fully dark but have good blinds) and off course all the goodies, Color Lumen, Contrast, Sharpness and Excellent Shadow Details, Fast Color Wheel or No Rainbow (believe I'm not affected) and good for gamin (doesn't need to be the fastest but good)..etc

Not sure which way to go and my OCD is kicking when trying to choose my next Projector (if is the best way to go), I had read lots of Forums and Reviews here and Pro Reviews but lately Pro Reviews aren't exactly clear with latest ST Projector if I want to compare them... We have the 3 Yrs Old Model and seems "the King BenQ HT2150st", the TH671st (w/ .47 or .67 DLP ?), View Sonic PX 706HD (+700HD w/ .47 DLP) Optoma GT1080st Darbee, Acer ? and Viviteck ? Did I forgot another ?

My Room is small wall to wall is around11' to 12' but I also have a TV mounted close the wall in my TV stand and on top a roll down (manual) 120" Elite Screen white 1.1 and normally the W108st will be in my coffee table, so it needs to be able to fit in my settings (could use my back wall (longer throw but must fill 120") and avoid too much $ in long terms...etc

So I could purchase another and notice BenQ will soon have the HT3550 that may fit in my wall (or if have a replacement to HT2150st w/4K) and if I purchase a new projector I could later sell it and use the $ tour the better 4K w/DCI-P3 + 3D + 120 Hz @1080p (+4K?) and 16 ms lag..Holly Grail like the wishful thinking RedRay 4K back in 2013 that never came out...etc

The issues is that I have no more than 1 Week to choose Fix the w1080st if need to sell later may loose more as it is an old model and not sure if can be sold over $250.00 or spend now $4-500.00 + Lamp Credit then sell it later for same $4-500.00 and use the $ tour HT3550/ TK800M ? or similar ?

Also if I really like the Projector I may keep but like the King (I guess everyone here will suggest) the HT2150st is a 3 Yr old model and it will really hut my ego if this Yr they come with a New Replacement (w/HRD aka Optoma + 120Hz aka Acer) also Lamp is $250.00 and 7K Hr (in reality is close to 550 Hrs), may be the best Pic but also the most Expensive to maintain and with almost all new Projector coming out have way more Hrs or better lamp, I think Corp got the message...etc But I may go that route

Advice or recommendation ?

Will Explain later what I like for Each Projector, all the reviews I had read and my concerns...

PS: I been here reading lots of info here since 2007 and know here I can found very good people with lots of knowledge...

Before I forgot- Usage: Lots of Moves, 3D and more 3D and little bit once in a blue Moon PC Gaming and did I said 3D ?

What to choose ?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-16-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hello,

My apologies for the long notes... Maybe I should ask my concerns in a different way;

What are the differences between: BenQ HT2150st", the TH671st (w/ .47 or .67 DLP ?), View Sonic PX 706HD (+700HD w/ .47 DLP) Optoma GT1080st Darbee

And I guess most recent ST Projectors are Benq TH671st vs View Sonic PX 706HD Differences + how they perform ?

Are they any other recently new Short Throw Projector similar in Prince that I don't know ?

PS: I'm not an expert and really need some help.

Thanks in advance
post #3 of 24 Old 02-16-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
The HT2150ST, TH671ST and PX706HD have the same throw as your W1085ST so could be mounted in the exact same location. The GT1080Darbee has a shorter throw and would need to be closer to the screen. The HT2150ST is often recommended as the best all-around short throw model <$1,000 and the only one that will clearly outperform your W1085ST. The other ST models you mention can go a little brighter in brightest mode than the HT2150ST but will not produce as refined an image for movies because they lack fast RGBRGB color wheels. They're all OK but will not match the HT2150ST's overall performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-16-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply Dave,

In your experience what are the differences between TH671ST vs PX706HD ?

Are Both use .47 or .67 DLP ?

Which one is better for long term for Movies and 3D... Thinking about the Lumens lost after Bulb "break" the 100 Hrs or is 500 Hrs (?) + the 3D Glasses...etc

I understand BenQ Lens are really good for that model but in Projector central.com they mention the 3D is lower than 2D "Movie" and that is low for 3D (I think) and not sure about View Sonic as I never owned one or know anyone who had one...etc

If I'm comparing color, contrast, sharpness, Shadow Detail and Lens Focus... The only experience I have to compare is my W1080st (sorry is not the w1085st) and thinking if those look at least the same as my w1080st (in paper both have same 10K for contrast) I'll be happy

PS: do you know if BenQ will replace TH21250st with a newer model, Soon (2019) ?

Thanks!
post #5 of 24 Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ralph11 , I have no personal experience with any of these projector models. I just summarized what I've found from reading all the professional reviews and owner comments. You can easily find all the reviews and read for yourself by doing a web search. I haven't seen any rumors of an HT2150ST replacement. @sage11x has a lot of experience with various BenQ models and may be able to answer some of your specific questions that aren't answered in the reviews.
Ralph11 likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Question

Dave in Green, Thank you so much for your honesty is appreciated. Will love to be able to communicate with sage11x, understated he had done several reviews (TH671st) and will be appreciated some input and be able to choose the best outcome for my situation...etc

Because I'm new at this Forum; How I'll be able to contact sage11x or anyone experienced with BenQ + Viewsonic ?

Thanks
post #7 of 24 Old 02-17-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
IMO both Viewsonic and BenQ are quality products and both are competing for the same market and come in around the same prices. I wouldn’t hesitate buying one or the other based on warranty, price and things like lamp replacement costs etc.

I have went to far into fixing things myself and it is always hard to back out. Is one of the reasons I like these cheaper projectors is a divide the number of days I get out of one by the cost and it’s like 25 cents per day for all the entertainment I get from them. It also makes pulling the plug easier when the time comes.

Bud
post #8 of 24 Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

@bud16415 , Exactly, I understand BenQ ht2150st will do better, however with New BenQ HT3550 cumming out soon and TK8000M (3550 but brighter ?) in nest few month, I may go there, if have good reviews (seems 3550 is excellent), Currently my small room wall to wall is close to 12' but I have my 65" TV, Screen Roll down + Projector back to Front Lens I may need to cut 2', maybe with some adjustment in my set up I'll be able to fit a 1.1 ratio It is why I probably will sell the projector after new BenQ 4K comes out.

At present time again my W1080st Lamp went out and must RMA only have like a week to choose as B&H did offer me the Credit and really need to choose and believe cheaper BenQ or ViewSonic are better or easier to sell, worst case scenario if I choose to keep it, replacement Lamp Cost is $100.00 less than HT2150st or my W1080st (This is my 3rd Lamp).

Really need some one who can help me explain mayor differences from TH671st vs PX706st... Contrast, Shadow Details, Lumen (Dynamic ECO) Lens, Sharpness and 3D...

Also the bottom my Screen is close to 5" higher than my w1080st center lens, so I had add a small box to level and do not know if those Projector also are able to move Pic little up, Lens Shift ? or something similar.

Again need anyone who can help me explain all differences, time is a factor or at least add here links from personal reviews.

Thanks
post #9 of 24 Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone able to explain what is: Offset 102.5% ±2.5% in BenQTH671ST ?

Also trying to find @sage11x , review for same Projector but I can't find it, can anyone add the review link here. Will be appreciated.
post #10 of 24 Old 02-19-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph11 View Post
Can anyone able to explain what is: Offset 102.5% ±2.5% in BenQTH671ST ?

Also trying to find @sage11x , review for same Projector but I can't find it, can anyone add the review link here. Will be appreciated.
I think it is like any projectors offset but because it’s a short throw it is where the projector needs to be placed in relationship to the screens center I would assume. It’s normally shown in the users manual and most of them you can find and download a PDF on line.

Bud
post #11 of 24 Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I think it is like any projectors offset but because it’s a short throw it is where the projector needs to be placed in relationship to the screens center I would assume. It’s normally shown in the users manual and most of them you can find and download a PDF on line.
Thank you so much for your reply.

So the TH671st Offset.. Means I can have the 120" Screen Up or Down, close to 3" or Place the Projector 3" Up or Down ?

Asking because in my situation with my W1080st bottom Screen is dead at lens center and to avoid any vertical shift I had to level up my Projector close to 4" Up. If I can apply this or move the TH671st 3" lower and still fit perfect to my Screen without any Lens shift... Is more points tour the BenQ
post #12 of 24 Old 02-19-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply.

So the TH671st Offset.. Means I can have the 120" Screen Up or Down, close to 3" or Place the Projector 3" Up or Down ?

Asking because in my situation with my W1080st bottom Screen is dead at lens center and to avoid any vertical shift I had to level up my Projector close to 4" Up. If I can apply this or move the TH671st 3" lower and still fit perfect to my Screen without any Lens shift... Is more points tour the BenQ
That i don't know but i'm sure it is explained in the owners manual. I have never had a UST projector so i dont know much about them. Others will chime in i'm sure.

Bud
post #13 of 24 Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ralph11 , here's a link to the TH671ST review by @sage11x :

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2944696-benq-th671st-short-throw-gaming-projector-review-owners-thread.html

And here's a link to a more thorough professional review with measured performance:

hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-th671st-dlp-projector-review/

I would suggest that you spend a few minutes getting familiar with the search feature for AVS Forum as well as web searches in general. If you rely on others on the forum to answer all of your questions it can sometime days for people to respond. On the other hand the answers to many of your questions can be found in minutes simply by doing quick searches.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-21-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Ralph11 , here's a link to the TH671ST review by @sage11x :

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2944696-benq-th671st-short-throw-gaming-projector-review-owners-thread.html

And here's a link to a more thorough professional review with measured performance:

hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-display/projectors/benq-th671st-dlp-projector-review/

I would suggest that you spend a few minutes getting familiar with the search feature for AVS Forum as well as web searches in general. If you rely on others on the forum to answer all of your questions it can sometime days for people to respond. On the other hand the answers to many of your questions can be found in minutes simply by doing quick searches.
Thank You!

This really help Read everything and seems TH671ST is a good choice, per Projector-central the only concern I have is how it performs 3D for a 120" Screen, room is not supper dark (day time) but is dark and light controlled.

With ViewSonic PX706HD it stated have more lumen but nothing about 3D and/or have same amount of Lumen, also really like BenQ can be calibrated (CMS ?) but also in ViewSonic haven't found any info in this regard.

Seems both Projectors are the same, my assumption it should perform the same but in Projector Reviews PX706HD Review is not fully detailed no 3D info and Shadow details say is "so so"...and no review for TH671st. Can anyone confirm is true and the same with BenQ ?

Will love to have @sage11x 2 Cents in regard BenQ vs ViewSonic and how he think BenQ TH671st "3D" perform in Dark Room in 120"... (I'm thinking when lamp dims after 500 Hrs)

My last concern, I only have experience with BenQ 1080ST to go... Both W1080st and TH671ST have the same 10,000:1 Contrast but different Color Wheels, in this case Contrast is the same in real life ?

Read at least the BenQ TH671ST can be calibrated to look very close to HT2150ST (I'll be happy with W1080ST) it is true ?
post #15 of 24 Old 02-21-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ralph11 , you need to take manufacturer specs with a grain of salt as many are inaccurate and misleading. For example, manufacturer specs for contrast are almost always greatly exaggerated from what independent testing shows. Also some brands regularly overestimate maximum lumens while others underestimate, and this consistently shows up in independent reviews where measurements are taken with calibrated test equipment. It's really important not to base a purchase decision on manufacturer specs but rely on calibrated test results from trustworthy independent reviews. If there are no reliable reviews available then meaningful comparisons really can't be made.

I don't know why @sage11x hasn't shown up here. Any time you post someone's screen name with an @ in front of it they get a notice that they've been mentioned and they usually show up to see why they've been referenced. He must be distracted with other things right now, so you might want to try sending a PM to sage11x.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

@Dave in Green Tried to send @sage11x a PM but seems I'm new and do not have enough privilege to PM.

Will be appreciated if you can PM him and let him know. Tomorrow I must ship back my W1080st Replacement Lamp and believe by Monday or Tuesday a decision which way I will go...etc

Anyway all your help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by Ralph11; 02-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
@Dave in Green Tried to send @sage11x a PM but seems I'm new and do not have enough privilege to PM.

Will be appreciated if you can PM him and let him know. Tomorrow I must ship back my W1080st Replacement Lamp and believe by Monday or Tuesday a decision which way I will go...etc

Anyway all your help is highly appreciated.

I have owned BenQ W1080ST, H2150ST, and the ViewSonic PX short throw. BenQ by far outperforms ViewSonic. Strongly encourage you not to make the mistake I did in getting the viewsonic. RGBRGB in the BenQ projectors is far superior.

I no longer have my 2150ST and I'm looking to upgrade from the ViewSonic. I'm considering the Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K
post #18 of 24 Old 02-22-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerweitzman View Post
I have owned BenQ W1080ST, H2150ST, and the ViewSonic PX short throw. BenQ by far outperforms ViewSonic. Strongly encourage you not to make the mistake I did in getting the viewsonic. RGBRGB in the BenQ projectors is far superior.

I no longer have my 2150ST and I'm looking to upgrade from the ViewSonic. I'm considering the Xiaomi MIJIA Laser Projector 4K
Could you explain what areas the BenQ was better in than the Viewsonic or where the Viewsonic was lacking?

Bud
post #19 of 24 Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Could you explain what areas the BenQ was better in than the Viewsonic or where the Viewsonic was lacking?
I work daily on projector screens, I don't watch movies or TV. I'm on it most of the day (even now), and the occasional flickering of the ViewSonic is quite disturbing to my eyes. Not everyone will notice it. It's also loud. It also just feels like worse colors and quality than the BenQ (although my opinion is also biased in that I am using a wall for the ViewSonic and I am used to using BenQ with a screen, so take this with a big grain of salt). However, the flickering and rainbow colors is real when it shows itself. I can see it easily if I turn my camera on, it looks like a CRT screen. I can see it easily when I switch to Eco mode on the ViewSonic.

Primary benefit of the ViewSonic for me is its price and size. Quite mobile, very cute design.

You can read my full thread on short throw choice at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57644366
bud16415 likes this.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-22-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2663
Quote:
Dave in Green, Thank you so much for your honesty is appreciated. Will love to be able to communicate with sage11x, understated he had done several reviews (TH671st) and will be appreciated some input and be able to choose the best outcome for my situation...etc

Because I'm new at this Forum; How I'll be able to contact sage11x or anyone experienced with BenQ + Viewsonic ?

Thanks
Sorry Ralph11, been traveling lately and so I'm on my phone. Tapatalk doesn't list mentions so sometimes I miss them.

I can't really give you a comparison between the BenQ TH671ST and the Viewsonic PX706HD because I've only seen the BenQ. However, I will say that these two are very similar.

BenQ is focused on 4K at the moment with the upcoming HT3550 and a couple of 4K projectors that have yet to be announced. Tbh, that's really OK as their 1080p selection is solid. I wouldn't anticipate seeing updates to the TH671ST or HT2150ST anytime soon as there really isn't anything to add that wouldn't also raise the price considerably.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-23-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Sorry Ralph11, been traveling lately and so I'm on my phone. Tapatalk doesn't list mentions so sometimes I miss them.

I can't really give you a comparison between the BenQ TH671ST and the Viewsonic PX706HD because I've only seen the BenQ. However, I will say that these two are very similar.

BenQ is focused on 4K at the moment with the upcoming HT3550 and a couple of 4K projectors that have yet to be announced. Tbh, that's really OK as their 1080p selection is solid. I wouldn't anticipate seeing updates to the TH671ST or HT2150ST anytime soon as there really isn't anything to add that wouldn't also raise the price considerably.
@sage11x , @tylerweitzman , Thanks for your info...

I'm not sure if I'm RBE sensitive, so I may go with TH671ST and if I am, then will have to return it and go with HT2150ST but again due to Lamp Cost and long term cost is the one I'm avoiding. Now days all newer Projectors have longer life spam + Cheaper replacement lamps $. At least if BenQ choose to; due to HT2150ST is now a 3 Yr old model and lamp doesn't last that long, they choose to lower their replacement lamp cost, I would jump in it in a hart beat...

@sage11x , I understand you owner an W1070 some time ago... To Compare that one vs TH671st, the contrast, color, saturation and sharpness.. Are similar ? How much is the difference ?

Also I'm a Super Fan for 3D, how TH671st perform + taking into account after breaking lamp and the % of lumen it lost.. It is Good ?

It is true if I calibrate the TH671st will look close to the HT2150st ? or Closer to the W1080st ?

Last; Crazy idea... I purchase an OEM RGBRGB-W108st Color Wheel, can I change the Color Wheel in the TH671st and put my new w108st Color Wheel in it ? it is possible ?

Thanks in advance

post #22 of 24 Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ralph11 , the image flicker and rainbows that are bothering you are most likely due to the PX706HD's lack of an RGBRGB color wheel. It's well known that color wheels with only a single set of RGB color segments are more likely to produce image flicker and rainbows. Like the PX706HD the TH671ST also lacks an RGBRGB color wheel and is therefore more likely to show flicker and rainbows than the HT2150ST that does have an RGBRGB color wheel.
post #23 of 24 Old 02-24-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

@Dave in Green , Thanks you for the info. It wasn't me who post about "the occasional flickering of the ViewSonic PX706HD"... lol it's from @tylerweitzman who own one and have hands on experience with it. I'm thinking the eye strain is more related to Bright Image rather than RBE but again I never own an RGBCYM. At same time it is what I being asking and is highly appreciated.

Maybe the BenQ OS helps to perform better, now my biggest Concern will be: How the TH671st "3D" will perform after Lamp Break In

For sure with my W1080st I was very happy, up to or close to 5,000 Hrs (Smart Eco)
post #24 of 24 Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am in the exact spot as you are

I have been very very satisfied with 1080st that I had, am now looking to buy a new projector for my new home.

Confused between the th671st, px706st and the w1210st (ht2150st in the US).

Which one did you go for?

Does the slower color wheel cause too much of reduction in color accuracy?
And @tylerweitzman does the 22000:1 contrast ratio on px706st greatly outperform the 10000:1 on the th671st?

Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dave in green , sage11x

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page