BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 4,372
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
RE: HT2050a Comparison

@sage11x

Hey Sage. Thank you for the comparison post between the HT3550 and the HT2050a. Sounds like the HT3550 is mostly a step up in everything but the fan noise. Without hearing it first hand, I won't know if it's something I will be able to handle or not. Will have to try it.

I think you answered a question I've had since learning of the Pumping issue with the DI. That is: How does the HT3550's Blacks and Contrast using SmartEco compare to the HT2050a in SmartEco. You mentioned that the edge goes to the 2050a, but probably not noticeable unless watching side by side.

I don't know if some units are experiencing more pumping than others, but I watched some youtube videos of DI Pumping in general.....and that would drive me crazy. So if all units experience "some" pumping, then the DI will 100% not be for me. Especially being in a very dark room. I'd have to go to SmartEco.

That then raises the question.......using the WCG Filter, I may need to run the PJ in Normal to get the level of brightness I need on my 120" screen (but maybe not since my room is fairly dark). If I were to run the HT3550 in Normal to be pleased with the WCG, and DI off, how much of a decrease in Blacks and Contrast would I see over Eco Mode with the HT2050a? I've actually never tried SmartEco on my HT2050a and just leave it on Eco.
sage11x likes this.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I know going by pictures are a dangerous thing when comparing quality, but from the pictures you posted, the HT2050a look better to me than the HT3550. In fact, I was not impressed at all by the HT3550 pictures. I would not be happy with that. The other pictures I've seen look much better than those, so not sure if it's my laptop screen, your settings, or just because they are pictures.


I just can’t recommend going by pictures.

I posted some shots in my comparison but I was trying to draw attention to specific areas of picture quality and you’ll notice many of my shots were overexposed simply to bring out the differences between the two models.

I’m not disputing the gentleman’s experience. Everyone has their preferences. I have NOT received the final production version so it’s possible there are differences between his unit and the one I tested. That being said, I’ve heard these complaints about the filter before and I have to say that while I can understand them— I disagree.

The filter on my sample does not make things green. What it does is remove the ‘coolness’ and tendency towards blue that that the majority of displays, including the HT3550, ship with out-of-the-box. We’ve grown accustomed to accept a cool color temperature as normal with our phone screens, monitors and LCD TVs. That tends to be the preference and it’s what a lot of people expect and and are used to. Show them something else and people tend to dislike the change. Add to this the fact that the filter reduces lumen output— in an age where people are wondering if even 3000 lumens are enough— it’s no wonder BenQ went back to squeeze more output from the filtered modes.

As for the comments about HDR. I would ask what other HDR projectors he’s seen. You could make the argument that the critical praise for the HT3550’s HDR has been a little over zealous considering the general state of HDR in the projector space. But in my opinion, knowing what we’re coming from with the HT2550, Epson 5040ub, Optoma UHD60, etc., the HT3550 is a revelation and deserves every accolade for it’s HDR handling.

I don’t know. My argument is BenQ could have probably left out the filter all together and less people would have complained considering no other sub $3k DLP has this capability besides BenQ’s own HT5550. That’s the irony. Not everyone will have the right room to use the modes but I for one am glad they included it. Take it out and you still have the best $1500 4K DLP on the market...
tonybradley likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #393 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
@sage11x

Hey Sage. Thank you for the comparison post between the HT3550 and the HT2050a. Sounds like the HT3550 is mostly a step up in everything but the fan noise. Without hearing it first hand, I won't know if it's something I will be able to handle or not. Will have to try it.

I think you answered a question I've had since learning of the Pumping issue with the DI. That is: How does the HT3550's Blacks and Contrast using SmartEco compare to the HT2050a in SmartEco. You mentioned that the edge goes to the 2050a, but probably not noticeable unless watching side by side.

I don't know if some units are experiencing more pumping than others, but I watched some youtube videos of DI Pumping in general.....and that would drive me crazy. So if all units experience "some" pumping, then the DI will 100% not be for me. Especially being in a very dark room. I'd have to go to SmartEco.

That then raises the question.......using the WCG Filter, I may need to run the PJ in Normal to get the level of brightness I need on my 120" screen (but maybe not since my room is fairly dark). If I were to run the HT3550 in Normal to be pleased with the WCG, and DI off, how much of a decrease in Blacks and Contrast would I see over Eco Mode with the HT2050a? I've actually never tried SmartEco on my HT2050a and just leave it on Eco.
Yeah, I spent the majority of my time with both the HT2050 and the HT2050A with the lamp in Eco. While I appreciate the boost to contrast available in Smart Eco (and the innocuous nature of it's action) the HT2050/HT2050A is just so damn bright that running it in Eco is the only way I can reduce lumens enough to be comfortable on my 100" screen. I think that is one of the major thing I like about the HT3550 and it's DI: you can see an increase in contrast even while using the HT3550 in ECO lamp mode.


I've seen no measurements of the HT3550 running in SmartEco. My eyes tell me that the contrast of the HT3550 in SmartEco will be roughly equivalent to the HT2050A's native (no lamp dimming) contrast. I'd have to see measurements to be sure but BenQ's SmartEco lamp dimming is not 'strength' adjustable like Optoma's Dynamic Black lamp dimming and BenQ tends to err on the conservative side. None of the 4K models can match the outgoing .65 HD DMD when it comes to native contrast. With that said, if Gregory's measurements are accurate, the HT3550 has the highest contrast (native and dynamic) of any of the current crop of 4K DLPs using the .47" 4K DMD. The Optoma UHD51A, for example, has roughly half the native contrast of the HT3550 and it's dynamic contrast (lamp dimming) tops out around 1700:1 (the HT3550 easily exceeded 2000:1 in Greg's testing with it's iris).
tonybradley likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #394 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Day 2 morning update.

I tried taking video of the grayscale steps with the WCG off/on but it didn't show up. There is a cyan hue that appears when on. I overcame this by adjusting the grayscale and looks much better.

I don't want my first impressions to be a turn off to anyone. I just think my expectations were too high. Black levels are on par with the 2050 and the iris on doesn't really do too much for me when I turn it off/on. Again last night I was mostly watching test patterns and this morning I was watching a bit of spiderverse 4k disc and looked good. I'm watching Monster House blu from the 3d disc with the 2d version with my boy right now. The out of the box settings are pretty good for BT709 except for color I had to tone down to 42. I did raise color enhancer to 9 and will keep it there for now. The image is smooth and doesn't have the pixel like structure you could see with the 2050. I'm running economic mode, iris on, brilliant color off and it's plenty bright for my dedicated room. I do want to mention I was using a darbee with my 2050 that I really liked. I wonder since I have the lens shift maxed out to the bottom is an issue with the sharpness i'm experiencing. My screen is 10" from the top of the ceiling which I thought was good enough for the offset but I was wrong. The center of the lens is 6 inches down from the ceiling. the lens shift seemed to be in the middle equal to the lens.

I have a backlog of content to get caught up on now that the projector is here. I'm surprised I am the only one mentioning the grayscale shift when the WCG is engaged in HDR10 mode. Maybe mine wasn't as thoroughly calibrated from the factory or something... I haven't experienced any additional lag coming from the 2050 though. I haven't hooked up my xbox one s yet in the theater room to try out gaming. I have the same 1ms delay in my AVR I used with the 2050 and used the audio sync test from the Disney wow disc and seems spot on.

I'm going to reach out to scottyroo to see his HT3550 in comparison. I'm interested in seeing the HT5550 in action too! I skipped last years 4k projectors due to the light border and lack of lens shift.
sage11x likes this.
Bachelor is offline  
post #395 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Member
 
cfelicio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Considering the HT2050A can be had for $400 refurbished when on sale, I wonder if the HT3550 is still worth the hefty price tag?
cfelicio is offline  
post #396 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
Considering the HT2050A can be had for $400 refurbished when on sale, I wonder if the HT3550 is still worth the hefty price tag?
If this is your first projector, I would get the 2050A. Screen size and image will knock your socks off.

For those that already have one, we are looking for the next best thing and a step up. I'm cheap and already the $1500 price tag was about as high as I wanted to go with technology always improving and getting cheaper. I already have a 4k collection and like the atmos playback in my theater room.
Bachelor is offline  
post #397 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Member
 
cfelicio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
If this is your first projector, I would get the 2050A. Screen size and image will knock your socks off.

For those that already have one, we are looking for the next best thing and a step up. I'm cheap and already the $1500 price tag was about as high as I wanted to go with technology always improving and getting cheaper. I already have a 4k collection and like the atmos playback in my theater room.
I just recently sold my Epson 3020. I was initially going to buy the 5040 refurb, but there are quite a few people complaining about the power supply failures of that unit. Also that unit is a monster in terms of size compared to the Benq! lol
cfelicio is offline  
post #398 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
BrandonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Day 2 morning update.

I tried taking video of the grayscale steps with the WCG off/on but it didn't show up. There is a cyan hue that appears when on. I overcame this by adjusting the grayscale and looks much better.

I don't want my first impressions to be a turn off to anyone. I just think my expectations were too high. Black levels are on par with the 2050 and the iris on doesn't really do too much for me when I turn it off/on. Again last night I was mostly watching test patterns and this morning I was watching a bit of spiderverse 4k disc and looked good. I'm watching Monster House blu from the 3d disc with the 2d version with my boy right now. The out of the box settings are pretty good for BT709 except for color I had to tone down to 42. I did raise color enhancer to 9 and will keep it there for now. The image is smooth and doesn't have the pixel like structure you could see with the 2050. I'm running economic mode, iris on, brilliant color off and it's plenty bright for my dedicated room. I do want to mention I was using a darbee with my 2050 that I really liked. I wonder since I have the lens shift maxed out to the bottom is an issue with the sharpness i'm experiencing. My screen is 10" from the top of the ceiling which I thought was good enough for the offset but I was wrong. The center of the lens is 6 inches down from the ceiling. the lens shift seemed to be in the middle equal to the lens.

I have a backlog of content to get caught up on now that the projector is here. I'm surprised I am the only one mentioning the grayscale shift when the WCG is engaged in HDR10 mode. Maybe mine wasn't as thoroughly calibrated from the factory or something... I haven't experienced any additional lag coming from the 2050 though. I haven't hooked up my xbox one s yet in the theater room to try out gaming. I have the same 1ms delay in my AVR I used with the 2050 and used the audio sync test from the Disney wow disc and seems spot on.

I'm going to reach out to scottyroo to see his HT3550 in comparison. I'm interested in seeing the HT5550 in action too! I skipped last years 4k projectors due to the light border and lack of lens shift.
Have you tried setting the focus with the projector in Silence mode so its easier to see individual pixels? I found it difficult to make sure the focus was as good as it could be when you can't see individual pixels. The WCG filter definitely changes the color tone when engaged. I played around with it last night myself. It had a pleasing affect on 4k HDR nature videos I found on YouTube, but when watching HDR TV Shows with real people, I did not like the effect nearly as much and prefer it to be off.
BrandonH is online now  
post #399 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
MJ DOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: COOK COUNTY, IL
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 69
@sage11x or @scottyroo can one of you compare a HT2050 being feed tone mapped HDR to SDR from a Sony or Panasonic UHD player to the HT3550 being feed by HDR?

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
MJ DOOM is offline  
post #400 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Got around to watching directv and noticed there is a separate hlg mode when watching 4k content. Pretty cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190409_151319_1554844498511.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2550972  
Bachelor is offline  
post #401 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
@sage11x or @scottyroo can one of you compare a HT2050 being feed tone mapped HDR to SDR from a Sony or Panasonic UHD player to the HT3550 being feed by HDR?
Maybe someone can test with the Panasonic.


I did this with the my Sony X800 and there is a reason I have not mentioned this as a viable option. The X800 has miserable HDR to SDR tone mapping. You are far better off using the HD Blu-ray that came with your 4K Blu-ray than using the 4K Blu-ray. In my opinion there is no benefit to feeding the HT2050A a 4K disc.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #402 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
MJ DOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: COOK COUNTY, IL
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Maybe someone can test with the Panasonic.


I did this with the my Sony X800 and there is a reason I have not mentioned this as a viable option. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] The X800 has miserable HDR to SDR tone mapping. You are far better off using the HD Blu-ray that came with your 4K Blu-ray than using the 4K Blu-ray. In my opinion there is no benefit to feeding the HT2050A a 4K disc.
IDK, besides sharpness. Wouldn't the HT2050a being feed HDR tonemap to REC709 from a Panasonic UHD player, be the same as a HT3550 being feed a HDR in Cinema mode without the WCG filter engaged? Basically is Panasonic HDR tonemapping better than BenQ?

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
MJ DOOM is offline  
post #403 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
IDK, besides sharpness. Wouldn't the HT2050a being feed HDR tonemap to REC709 from a Panasonic UHD player, be the same as a HT3550 being feed a HDR in Cinema mode without the WCG filter engaged? Basically is Panasonic HDR tonemapping better than BenQ?


I doubt it. The Panasonic is a $500 Blu-ray player with an HDR to SDR function designed to look best on the largest number of displays. The BenQ is a $1500 projector with HDR tone mapping designed specifically towards the strengths of the projector.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #404 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
chhanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Day 2 morning update.

I tried taking video of the grayscale steps with the WCG off/on but it didn't show up. There is a cyan hue that appears when on. I overcame this by adjusting the grayscale and looks much better.

I don't want my first impressions to be a turn off to anyone. I just think my expectations were too high. Black levels are on par with the 2050 and the iris on doesn't really do too much for me when I turn it off/on. Again last night I was mostly watching test patterns and this morning I was watching a bit of spiderverse 4k disc and looked good. I'm watching Monster House blu from the 3d disc with the 2d version with my boy right now. The out of the box settings are pretty good for BT709 except for color I had to tone down to 42. I did raise color enhancer to 9 and will keep it there for now. The image is smooth and doesn't have the pixel like structure you could see with the 2050. I'm running economic mode, iris on, brilliant color off and it's plenty bright for my dedicated room. I do want to mention I was using a darbee with my 2050 that I really liked. I wonder since I have the lens shift maxed out to the bottom is an issue with the sharpness i'm experiencing. My screen is 10" from the top of the ceiling which I thought was good enough for the offset but I was wrong. The center of the lens is 6 inches down from the ceiling. the lens shift seemed to be in the middle equal to the lens.

I have a backlog of content to get caught up on now that the projector is here. I'm surprised I am the only one mentioning the grayscale shift when the WCG is engaged in HDR10 mode. Maybe mine wasn't as thoroughly calibrated from the factory or something... I haven't experienced any additional lag coming from the 2050 though. I haven't hooked up my xbox one s yet in the theater room to try out gaming. I have the same 1ms delay in my AVR I used with the 2050 and used the audio sync test from the Disney wow disc and seems spot on.

I'm going to reach out to scottyroo to see his HT3550 in comparison. I'm interested in seeing the HT5550 in action too! I skipped last years 4k projectors due to the light border and lack of lens shift.
My experience on W2700 (HT3550) with WCG on it will blue push in Color Temp, you have to reduce it to get D65. As per my measurement, turn the Brilliant Color off can get more liner color temp. and CMS accuracy, but it will costs some brightness.

Regarding to the Black level and contrast, 0.47 DMD will never reach 0.67 DMD's level just like 0.67DMD never can't reach 0.95 DMD's level.
There is no exception on HT3550 can't comply HT2050 even with DI ON.

But you may try to force any 24hz to 60hz in player and set Movement Enhancer in HT3550 as HIGH. For me, HT3550 can narrow down the difference on the black level with HT1075.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
chhanthony is online now  
post #405 of 507 Old 04-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Senior Member
 
chhanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
@sage11x or @scottyroo can one of you compare a HT2050 being feed tone mapped HDR to SDR from a Sony or Panasonic UHD player to the HT3550 being feed by HDR?
I have using HT1075 and UB900 over 2 years, I would say playing UHD blu-ray from HDR to SDR conversion with this combination is very good.
I calibrated the HT1075 in REC709 and using some picture setting in UB900 (i.e. white gamma, brightness, sharpness enhance and HDR to SDR conversion set to +5-6)
HT1075 projected a very good movie feel image.

For HT3550 (W2700) it is a different thing, actually, I don't feel any picture quality improvement even it is 4K projector, yes the pixel is more easier noticed on HT1075. However, HT1075 projected the image more sharper than HT3550.

BUT it is a different story, if I set UB900 output 60hz to HT3550 and Movement Enhancer set to HIGH to play UHD Blu-ray with WCG on. HT3550 projected a rich color and very HDR feel image, it just like a 126" HDR TV.


These few nights, I watched many SDR Marvel movies with my wife, I forced Zidoo Z9S output 2160 60P with HDR ON and HT3550 with WCG ON, the picture quality and HDR feel even much better than the HDR movies. Highly Recommended to try.

Before I have HT3550, I had a short moment with BenQ LK990 in my home with same setting and also I have watched a lot of demo of it in the dealer shop. I would say, HT3550 handles HDR is much better than LK990.

Just my 2 cents.
sage11x likes this.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1

Last edited by chhanthony; 04-09-2019 at 10:36 PM.
chhanthony is online now  
post #406 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
My experience on W2700 (HT3550) with WCG on it will blue push in Color Temp, you have to reduce it to get D65. As per my measurement, turn the Brilliant Color off can get more liner color temp. and CMS accuracy, but it will costs some brightness.



Regarding to the Black level and contrast, 0.47 DMD will never reach 0.67 DMD's level just like 0.67DMD never can't reach 0.95 DMD's level.

There is no exception on HT3550 can't comply HT2050 even with DI ON.



But you may try to force any 24hz to 60hz in player and set Movement Enhancer in HT3550 as HIGH. For me, HT3550 can narrow down the difference on the black level with HT1075.


I don’t understand how motion enhancer set to high influences black level and brightness. I don’t perceive any difference when I do this. Only an enhanced soap opera effect.
sage11x and pablovi like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #407 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
And sorry I haven’t been as active the last couple of days. Work is very busy. QBRs. Hooray.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #408 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
And sorry I haven’t been as active the last couple of days. Work is very busy. QBRs. Hooray.


Dude, give yourself a break. Your post account over the last two weeks is probably 100x what mine has been in the same span.
yadfgp, scottyroo and Frank714 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #409 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Day 3:
I did adjust the lens shift up a bit and it did help with the focusing. As recommended above, using silence mode helped adjust the focus. I am finding color enhancer a negative and pushed red. I have it back to 0 for now after watching a variety of content. I did go back to economic light mode since the fan is just a bit too loud with my lower volume. If you have a winix air purifier, it reminds me of when it kicks into high fan mode to clean the air. a lower sound/hum but a whoosh of air. (like a fan is on)

I do want to mention that I see less rainbows almost non existent coming from the HT2050 which was very good. I'm fairly sensitive to it. I also really like how there is no light leakage. I just wish the blacks were a bit deeper.
Bachelor is offline  
post #410 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Member
 
cfelicio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Day 3:
I did adjust the lens shift up a bit and it did help with the focusing. As recommended above, using silence mode helped adjust the focus. I am finding color enhancer a negative and pushed red. I have it back to 0 for now after watching a variety of content. I did go back to economic light mode since the fan is just a bit too loud with my lower volume. If you have a winix air purifier, it reminds me of when it kicks into high fan mode to clean the air. a lower sound/hum but a whoosh of air. (like a fan is on)

I do want to mention that I see less rainbows almost non existent coming from the HT2050 which was very good. I'm fairly sensitive to it. I also really like how there is no light leakage. I just wish the blacks were a bit deeper.
So rainbow wise, the HT3550 is a lot better? I think they have the same color wheel speed, but maybe because the HT3550 has a different chip, it reduces the rainbow? No idea
cfelicio is offline  
post #411 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Yes at least to me i don't see any rainbows. I could look left right quickly in the 2050 and see them.
Bachelor is offline  
post #412 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I could look left right quickly in the 2050 and see them.

Congratulations on being an ambi-viewer.


yadfgp and sage11x like this.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #413 of 507 Old 04-10-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,147
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Here is a video of the hdr10 mode playback with wcg enabled with my settings. Sorry for it not to be in 4k. I thought about that too late. I like the shadow detail with hdr brightness set at -1.

https://youtu.be/7LEHztp9XmU
Yves Claeys likes this.
Bachelor is offline  
post #414 of 507 Old 05-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rockokma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Horizontal Shift

Does this projector have any horizontal shift at all, or does the lens need to be perfectly centered horizontally?
msankadi likes this.
Rockokma is offline  
post #415 of 507 Old 05-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Dude, give yourself a break. Your post account over the last two weeks is probably 100x what mine has been in the same span.

Agreed! He has helped a ton!
ng4ever is offline  
post #416 of 507 Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Cine4 measured the native contrast of this projector at 1600:1 at farthest throw with dynamic over 6000. I also know of another person that measured it that high.

However, if you are comparing native contrast of two different low-end DLP's by eye, this is basically impossible.

There are 2 reasons it's not possible to compare it by eye when the native contrast numbers are this close.

1) Brightness matching, you'd have to get the projectors almost EXACTLY the same brightness. Even 10% differences are going to show up as way too blatant in the image.

2) More importantly, gamma and black floor settings (brightness control). If you are just looking at a plain black image, then fine, but then #1 interferes. Other than that, any tiny amounts of grayscale or gamut error are also going to distort the perception. Especially if you are looking at 'intrascene contrast' trying to determine native, forget it, there is no hope in this. Even the tiniest of tiny gamma differences are going to alter the perception.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #417 of 507 Old 05-09-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Cine4 measured the native contrast of this projector at 1600:1 at farthest throw with dynamic over 6000. I also know of another person that measured it that high.

However, if you are comparing native contrast of two different low-end DLP's by eye, this is basically impossible.

There are 2 reasons it's not possible to compare it by eye when the native contrast numbers are this close.

1) Brightness matching, you'd have to get the projectors almost EXACTLY the same brightness. Even 10% differences are going to show up as way too blatant in the image.

2) More importantly, gamma and black floor settings (brightness control). If you are just looking at a plain black image, then fine, but then #1 interferes. Other than that, any tiny amounts of grayscale or gamut error are also going to distort the perception. Especially if you are looking at 'intrascene contrast' trying to determine native, forget it, there is no hope in this. Even the tiniest of tiny gamma differences are going to alter the perception.
Coder, help me out, what is this post in reference to?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #418 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,390
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
I posted this in the other thread but I figured I’d share here as well.

BenQ is currently testing out a new version of the HT3550 firmware that would not only fix a couple of bugs users are experiencing but also address the complaint I made about the iris in my review.

For those that TLR. I found the dynamic iris to work well the majority of the time but found it could, in certain material, overreact by pumping bright, then dark, the bright and dark again in quick succession. Not only is BenQ addressing this issue but they are planning to add strength settings in the iris menu. This was on my wish list of things I would like to see in future models so the fact that we’re getting it on the HT3550 is awesome. Of course, only time will tell how well the feature is implemented so I will update my review with with my findings as soon as I have an opportunity to test out the new revision.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #419 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have been lurking and planning to buy this in a couple of months. However various reviews show the lag to be somewhere around 60 70 ms. I don't know anything about lag as I play ps4 pro on my tv now. How bad is 70 ms? Is it something which should worry a casual gamer as well or is it just stats for hardcore gamers to worry about?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
msankadi is offline  
post #420 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by msankadi View Post
I have been lurking and planning to buy this in a couple of months. However various reviews show the lag to be somewhere around 60 70 ms. I don't know anything about lag as I play ps4 pro on my tv now. How bad is 70 ms? Is it something which should worry a casual gamer as well or is it just stats for hardcore gamers to worry about?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Your TV's lag has probably been measured and you can probably google it and find it, for comparison.

Last edited by DunMunro; 05-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.
DunMunro is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off