BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #421 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
You're TV's lag has probably been measured and you can probably google it and find it, for comparison.
Thank you that's a good point however I am not able to find the lag value for my tv... My model is Panasonic 43EX480DX..any indicators would be really helpful

Panasonic 109cm (43 inch) Ultra HD (4K) LED TV
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/panasonic-...oduct.share.pp

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post
Does this projector have any horizontal shift at all, or does the lens need to be perfectly centered horizontally?
Did you find this out?

post #423 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by msankadi View Post
Did you find this out?

No horizontal lens shift. No horizontal keystone either. Projector needs to be centered on the screen.
msankadi likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you that's a good point however I am not able to find the lag value for my tv... My model is Panasonic 43EX480DX..any indicators would be really helpful

Panasonic 109cm (43 inch) Ultra HD (4K) LED TV
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/panasonic-...oduct.share.pp

Not familiar with that specific model but hdtvtest put most of the DX series Panasonics around 38-40ms.
msankadi likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #425 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Not familiar with that specific model but hdtvtest put most of the DX series Panasonics around 38-40ms.
Thank you that doubles my lag roughly i guess... I will just have to hope its not too bad.. Or wait for more gamers to test and respond... Projectorcentral review also said it's not too bad

post #426 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
No horizontal lens shift. No horizontal keystone either. Projector needs to be centered on the screen.
Correct answer.
post #427 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review

Quote:
Thank you that doubles my lag roughly i guess... I will just have to hope its not too bad.. Or wait for more gamers to test and respond... Projectorcentral review also said it's not too bad

The definition of what is and isn't acceptable for gamers is subjective and varies from site to site and reviewer to reviewer.

The website DisplayLag.com places display lag into four categories:

20ms and below: "Excellent"
21ms - 40ms: "Great"
41ms - 60ms: "Okay"
Above 60ms: "Bad"

But keep in mind this is a fighting game focused website that reviews gaming monitors and TVs. Traditionally, projectors have had higher levels of lag although that has changed dramatically in the last few years. My recommendation has always been to try and stay at or below 34ms for any serious gaming. The general consensus is that people become aware of lag when the TOTAL lag exceeds 160ms (10 frames). By total I mean the complete end to end lag between the controller and the screen. If the game itself adds 8 frames of lag (128ms-- which is actually pretty typical) then the amount of lag your display can add before the total system lag becomes noticeable shrinks to 32ms. Make sense?

Last edited by sage11x; 05-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #428 of 507 Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The definition of what is and isn't acceptable for gamers is subjective and varies from site to site and reviewer to reviewer.

The website DisplayLag.com places display lag into four categories:

20ms and below: "Excellent"
21ms - 40ms: "Great"
41ms - 60ms: "Okay"
Above 60ms: "Bad"

But keep in mind this is a fighting game focused website that reviews gaming monitors and TVs. Traditionally, projectors have had higher levels of lag although that has changed dramatically in the last few years. My recommendation has always been to try and stay at or below 34ms for any serious gaming. The general consensus is that people become aware of lag when the TOTAL lag exceeds 160ms (10 frames). By total I mean the complete end to end lag between the controller and the screen. If the game itself adds 8 frames of lag (128ms-- which is actually pretty typical) then the amount of lag your display can add before the total system lag becomes noticeable shrinks to 32ms. Make sense?
Your answer helps put things into a bit of a perspective but i guess end of the day I have to take a leap of faith. Also I play mostly adventure and rpg games so that is a solace to help with that.
End of the day it puts me in a tough spot to decide whether to go with 4k and generally higher lags or 1080p with minimal lag. I am leaning towards the former.
Additionally i have some time I can wait for around 3 4 months. Are the other manufactures going to refresh their line ups like benq? Where can i read more about this?

Also the game adding 130ms delay seems to be a big part of the equation.. What is the technical term for this? I want to read bit more on this and educate myself. For ps4 pro this number might be different as well

post #429 of 507 Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your answer helps put things into a bit of a perspective but i guess end of the day I have to take a leap of faith. Also I play mostly adventure and rpg games so that is a solace to help with that.
End of the day it puts me in a tough spot to decide whether to go with 4k and generally higher lags or 1080p with minimal lag. I am leaning towards the former.
Additionally i have some time I can wait for around 3 4 months. Are the other manufactures going to refresh their line ups like benq? Where can i read more about this?

Also the game adding 130ms delay seems to be a big part of the equation.. What is the technical term for this? I want to read bit more on this and educate myself. For ps4 pro this number might be different as well

Input lag.

Technically the lag the display adds is called display lag and the lag the computer/console/controller adds is called input lag. But all of these terms have become interchangeable.

Each game is different. It also depends greatly on whether the game runs at 30fps or 60fps (or even runs at a consistent frame rate at all). The classic example used to be COD vs Halo but that is an antiquated example these days. I'll say this: plenty of people game on the HT3550 and have no issues. I've discovered through this forum that I happen to be more sensitive to lag than most. So everyone is a little different here. Would I use the HT3550 for games? No I wouldn't. Does that mean other people can't use the HT3550 for gaming without issue? No it doesn't. If you play adventure games and RPGs my guess is you won't be bothered compared with someone who plays fighting games or competitive FPS. And, to be completely frank, you could play FPS on the HT3550 and kick my butt simply because you are more skilled. Lag isn't the end all be all but rather one piece of the pie. I just happen to enjoy the snappy response of a low latency display and my OCD brain likes to know I have every advantage I can get.
msankadi likes this.

post #430 of 507 Old 05-11-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Input lag.

Technically the lag the display adds is called display lag and the lag the computer/console/controller adds is called input lag. But all of these terms have become interchangeable.

Each game is different. It also depends greatly on whether the game runs at 30fps or 60fps (or even runs at a consistent frame rate at all). The classic example used to be COD vs Halo but that is an antiquated example these days. I'll say this: plenty of people game on the HT3550 and have no issues. I've discovered through this forum that I happen to be more sensitive to lag than most. So everyone is a little different here. Would I use the HT3550 for games? No I wouldn't. Does that mean other people can't use the HT3550 for gaming without issue? No it doesn't. If you play adventure games and RPGs my guess is you won't be bothered compared with someone who plays fighting games or competitive FPS. And, to be completely frank, you could play FPS on the HT3550 and kick my butt simply because you are more skilled. Lag isn't the end all be all but rather one piece of the pie. I just happen to enjoy the snappy response of a low latency display and my OCD brain likes to know I have every advantage I can get.
Thank you sir, for being patient and explaining these. I am itching so much for my projector. Wish the 2 3 months to pass quickly so that I can get the projector from my upcoming US visit

Any idea which part of the forum to look at and study new upcoming Projectors list?

post #431 of 507 Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you sir, for being patient and explaining these. I am itching so much for my projector. Wish the 2 3 months to pass quickly so that I can get the projector from my upcoming US visit

Any idea which part of the forum to look at and study new upcoming Projectors list?

You're in the right place. Usually news is broken here before it is anywhere else.

As for 4K DLPs on the horizon-- nothing to report right now. At some point I expect Optoma and Viewsonic (if they haven't already) to update their projectors with the new .47 DMD being used here. I would still recommend the HT3550 if picture quality is the primary concern. Simply put, at it's price it's the best 4K image available. Also consider that BenQ is releasing new firmware in the coming weeks to improve it even further.

post #432 of 507 Old 05-29-2019, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My HT3550 (W2700 here in Switzerland) is supposed to arrive by the end of May.
I ordered it 6 weeks ago. I'm wondering if BenQ is holding them before a new firmware is published?
I checked both EU and US BenQ's websites and there are still no firmware updates at the moment.
I'm a bit worried to ruin my current HT2050 (W2700) setup by "upgrading" to the HT3550.
Should I wait in your opinion?
post #433 of 507 Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsmja View Post
I'm wondering if BenQ is holding them before a new firmware is published?

Have a look here, user report just got in, today: http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...postID=668#668

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #434 of 507 Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It’s close. I’ll update here when I can.

post #435 of 507 Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It’s here.
neotide likes this.

post #436 of 507 Old 05-30-2019, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

It’s here.
Great!!

Were we can download as i was checking the Benq page and there is nothing there yep..

Thanks,
jb
post #437 of 507 Old 05-30-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe00 View Post
Great!!

Were we can download as i was checking the Benq page and there is nothing there yep..

Thanks,

jb

Isn’t up on the site yet. I believe BenQ is still finalizing some things. I’ll check and if it’s safe to share I’ll post it here.

post #438 of 507 Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

It’s here.

Is there a listing of what the update contains?

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #439 of 507 Old 05-30-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Isn’t up on the site yet. I believe BenQ is still finalizing some things. I’ll check and if it’s safe to share I’ll post it here.
That will be great, please keep us posted...

Thanks,
jb
post #440 of 507 Old 05-31-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I’m still (obviously) throwing content at this thing. But my initial impressions of the new iris settings are as follows:

I’m a big fan of the low iris setting. It’s not as aggressive and so doesn’t result in the same level of contrast/blacks as the middle or high setting but I have yet to see a single occurrence of iris pump/flicker even in the most challenging material. I therefore consider this a ‘free’ upgrade as you get a nice improvement in blacks/contrast with seemingly no downside. I can’t imagine even the pickiest viewers finding fault in this mode.

The middle iris setting gets a you a discernible increase in blacks/contrast but at the cost of some visible iris intervention. The middle setting seems to be the closest in performance to the prior ‘ON’ setting but without some of the former issues. For those that are catching up the prior iris firmware had a tendency to get flummoxed with high APL (bright) content resulting in a sort of seesawing action from the iris. This ‘flicker’ or pumping is largely absent in those scenes that caused the prior firmware fits. I think the middle iris setting will be popular as it offers excellent contrast performance that I doubt many viewers will find distracting.

The same can’t be said for the high setting. To my eye the high setting doesn’t offer much if any improvement in contrast/blacks over the middle setting. Even if it did the constant, visible iris intervention leaves it all but unusable for me.

post #441 of 507 Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
So I’m still (obviously) throwing content at this thing. But my initial impressions of the new iris settings are as follows:

I’m a big fan of the low iris setting. It’s not as aggressive and so doesn’t result in the same level of contrast/blacks as the middle or high setting but I have yet to see a single occurrence of iris pump/flicker even in the most challenging material. I therefore consider this a ‘free’ upgrade as you get a nice improvement in blacks/contrast with seemingly no downside. I can’t imagine even the pickiest viewers finding fault in this mode.

The middle iris setting gets a you a discernible increase in blacks/contrast but at the cost of some visible iris intervention. The middle setting seems to be the closest in performance to the prior ‘ON’ setting but without some of the former issues. For those that are catching up the prior iris firmware had a tendency to get flummoxed with high APL (bright) content resulting in a sort of seesawing action from the iris. This ‘flicker’ or pumping is largely absent in those scenes that caused the prior firmware fits. I think the middle iris setting will be popular as it offers excellent contrast performance that I doubt many viewers will find distracting.

The same can’t be said for the high setting. To my eye the high setting doesn’t offer much if any improvement in contrast/blacks over the middle setting. Even if it did the constant, visible iris intervention leaves it all but unusable for me.
I think we came to very similar conclusions. I agree Low is great in that you don't notice it at all, so using at least that setting is a no brainer. I think I will try to stick with Medium though since it does seem to offer a little better blacks than Low and the amount of times I was able to notice it working was less and not as jarring as before with the original implementation. High might still work well for people that never saw a problem with how it worked before, but for me, I don't see enough improvement over Medium in contrast and it is has quite a bit more noticeable changes in brightness than Medium to make it not worth the compromise.
sage11x likes this.
post #442 of 507 Old 05-31-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe00 View Post
That will be great, please keep us posted...

Thanks,

jb

I’m clear to share the firmware but unfortunately my Google Drive isn’t cooperating right now. When I get home I’ll upload it and post it here. Unless someone beats me to it.

post #443 of 507 Old 05-31-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I’m clear to share the firmware but unfortunately my Google Drive isn’t cooperating right now. When I get home I’ll upload it and post it here. Unless someone beats me to it.
That's great...

Thanks
jb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #444 of 507 Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your fantastic review. I'm considering between BenQ HT3550 and Optoma UHD51a. I am wondering if any of these projectors can play movie files directly from network drive (NAS).
If anyone has tried these models please give comments on their built-in player function and how it works. Thanks a lot!
post #445 of 507 Old 06-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Hi,

When do you have a chance please upload if you can.

Thanks again,
jb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #446 of 507 Old 06-02-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I’m clear to share the firmware but unfortunately my Google Drive isn’t cooperating right now.
Do you know if the new firmware is for HT3550 only or is it for W2700 as well ?
post #447 of 507 Old 06-02-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Is the CA error for you guys the same at farthest throw as it is at shortest throw?
Hence, if you make the smallest image possible, does the CA error change very little?

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #448 of 507 Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Is the CA error for you guys the same at farthest throw as it is at shortest throw?

Hence, if you make the smallest image possible, does the CA error change very little?

CA is affected by use of the telephoto lens. So, no, it’s a bit different at each end of the lens.

post #449 of 507 Old 06-03-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
CA is affected by use of the telephoto lens. So, no, it’s a bit different at each end of the lens.
So where is the sweet spot and how much difference is there...
IME, every projector varies, some have almost no sensitivity to it.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #450 of 507 Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
So where is the sweet spot and how much difference is there...

IME, every projector varies, some have almost no sensitivity to it.

I’d say ‘full open’. So, no use of the telephoto zoom feature with the image at it’s largest. I’m not home now but there is a pic on the other thread that illustrates it pretty well. When I get home I’ll try and take a picture for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page