BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #451 of 507 Old 06-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thank you for the review.

What is the range of the image size from 13 feet? On another site, from 13 feet the HT5550 is 72 to 115 inches width, HT3550 is 106 to 138. They would need different lenses for that.
sage11x likes this.

Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 507 Old 06-05-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
Thank you for the review.

What is the range of the image size from 13 feet? On another site, from 13 feet the HT5550 is 72 to 115 inches width, HT3550 is 106 to 138. They would need different lenses for that.
Your HT3550 numbers look right but the HT5550 should be 73" to 114" wide from 13'. They are entirely different projectors with different lenses, different case sizes, and different features, so throw range differences shouldn't be a surprise.
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #453 of 507 Old 06-10-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Your HT3550 numbers look right but the HT5550 should be 73" to 114" wide from 13'. They are entirely different projectors with different lenses, different case sizes, and different features, so throw range differences shouldn't be a surprise.
Thank you for the info.

My new theatre room will be 14 by 12.5 feet. If the projector is close to the back wall the image should be about 138 inches wide at the maximum.

How far from the ceiling and floor is the projector? I will need to do the same in my room.

Thanks,

Roland

Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 507 Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
So where is the sweet spot and how much difference is there...

IME, every projector varies, some have almost no sensitivity to it.

I got the HT3550 back and was in the process of setting it up when I remembered our convo. First shot is full telephoto (smallest image). Second shot is full open (largest image). As you can see in the photos, the telephoto lens is responsible for the CA. Wide open I can barely detect any CA.

Frank714, ng4ever and noob00224 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #455 of 507 Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 4666
Wow! Big difference there Sage!
sage11x and ng4ever like this.
post #456 of 507 Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dont laugh, i use a lenova yoga tab pro as my projector, it recently came in very helpfully at hospital when i was laid on my back after a operation. i watched mobvies on hospital cinema with blue tooth headphones lol. Basic thats all my experience with projectors is.

I say that cause i have set my room up ready for the uhd512, including ikea floating shelfs for me denon amp ps4 xbox s for 4k playback lol and my pc.
Basicly i nearly changed my mind when the 3550 came out, after all it had better black lvls than the optoma uhd51, as it uses a mechanical shiris or something, instead of the 51s lamp control, thats a bigy to me, then threes the smaller light border, something im not that worried about as im not gona be painting my walls black or anything like that. But then there's the sharpness. Majestic tells us in 2018 the optoma uhd51 is probably the sharpest projector using that particular chip, a chip different from the 3550 and thats in 2018 the sharpest projector. For majestic to say the benq is fine but you sometime wish it was sharper seems to be a real thing here and a directly feeling comparison from two opposite sides.
Even after all this i was still thinking 3550 but then i read something else. the 3550 is 2000 lumins. now i know lumins is not everything but bare with me. I found a good sourse for the image quality of the 51 and compared it to a great source for the 3550. The 3550 looks greta it does, and im sure it wont disapoint but it looks and feels like its less brighter than the 51 and it clearly has a grey tint to represent the darker image. Im thinking the lower lumins is posibly cause that differental. When i look at the uhd51 image yes its very bright in comparison but i feel it makes the colours pop more. Maybe the 23550 hdr will handle well and bring it up more but havent seen any footage to compare.

For me im only 9-10 feet away for projector and screen and im only after 92 inches cause its a small room but i feel the sharpness is something that will anoy me if its not there, more than going from good black to slightly better blacks. caus ethats what it feels like people are saying.
If you care about sharpness its uhd51 and if you want better blacks just, a smaller light border and hdr handled beter then benq.

Below is my dodgy projector and the image it gives me, about 75-80 inches. screen is 92. Its not bad for a tablet free bee lol. just anoying that i have to play the same movie on kodi, pc and on tablet on plex and cue up audi so i can have a 5.1 experience lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sss20190616_011751.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2580480   Click image for larger version

Name:	ttt20190616_011930.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	713.6 KB
ID:	2580482  
post #457 of 507 Old 06-15-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
forgot to ask a quick question. on the uhd51 with vertical lens shift move up if im just puting the projector on a shelf with its legs. I really dont want to ceiling mount it so hoping it can.
post #458 of 507 Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy 22 View Post
forgot to ask a quick question. on the uhd51 with vertical lens shift move up if im just puting the projector on a shelf with its legs. I really dont want to ceiling mount it so hoping it can.

Won’t work. All of the affordable DLP models project the entire image above the center point of the lens with minimal shift or offset. They are made to be used one of two ways: on a low shelf or coffee table out in front of you or mounted, inverted, to the ceiling or back wall above you. They don’t have nearly enough lens shift to work placed on a shelf behind you. The image would be projecting on your ceiling.

You could always mount the projector BELOW the shelf.
ng4ever likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #459 of 507 Old 06-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy 22 View Post
If you care about sharpness its uhd51 and if you want better blacks just, a smaller light border and hdr handled beter then benq.

Below is my dodgy projector and the image it gives me, about 75-80 inches. screen is 92. Its not bad for a tablet free bee lol. just anoying that i have to play the same movie on kodi, pc and on tablet on plex and cue up audi so i can have a 5.1 experience lol.
I`m having a hard time deciding between the Optoma UHD51 and Benq HT3550(W2700) they are almost priced the same in Norway
seems like optoma has better contrast than HT3550 too, at least on paper, but the dynamic iris on the HT 3550 will probably make up for it

Anyone else had the opportunity to test both these , is the 3d picture on the optoma UHD51 just as good as the Benq HT3550 ?

I will be upgrading from Benq W1070 so im sure any of these will be a good upgrade,
will be using 1080p blu-ray`s the most so it also depend who of these projectors who produce the best 4k upscaling picture
Im seeing the extra lumen's on the optoma 51 as a plus as well
post #460 of 507 Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I`m having a hard time deciding between the Optoma UHD51 and Benq HT3550(W2700) they are almost priced the same in Norway
seems like optoma has better contrast than HT3550 too, at least on paper, but the dynamic iris on the HT 3550 will probably make up for it

Anyone else had the opportunity to test both these , is the 3d picture on the optoma UHD51 just as good as the Benq HT3550 ?

I will be upgrading from Benq W1070 so im sure any of these will be a good upgrade,
will be using 1080p blu-ray`s the most so it also depend who of these projectors who produce the best 4k upscaling picture
post #461 of 507 Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi I thought about a portable floor rising projector but I have another option. This is not my first projector or projector screen. Tell me if this is a good idea or bad?

I could order just the screen material and make my own screen! The problem is it would need to be lightweight. Less than 4 lb. Mainly because I would want to hang it up on the wall maybe upside down big maybe. Depending on where the black part is for the no screen is. Then use command strips to connect it to the wall without holes.

Then when I don't want it out roll it up like a big tube all the way to my ceiling in the media room. Then when I need it roll it back down.

The problem is what is the best projector screen material to buy ?
post #462 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi there

Just got my unit yesterday, so far I am quite pleased.

Were there any best settings posted to max out the performance of this projector? Or can you guys post your best to go settings?

Best regards
Migaro
post #463 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post

The HT3550 has objectively better contrast/blacks than the Optoma and subjectively better HDR image quality. However, the Optoma has been observed producing a bit sharper image.

I would take the extra lumens quoted on the UHD51 with a grain of salt. Projector manufacturers typically base their lumen spec on the brightest white light output possible which is typically found in the most unwatchable (bright) picture mode. Once you move to a picture mode you’ll actually use I don’t think there is much difference between these two. The HT3550 has a ‘wide color’ filter that is intended to be used in theater-like, light controlled rooms. These modes will be dimmer but that is by design. In standard Cinema/Vivid and HDR10 the Ht3550 is plenty bright.
jfjer likes this.

post #464 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migaro View Post
Hi there

Just got my unit yesterday, so far I am quite pleased.

Were there any best settings posted to max out the performance of this projector? Or can you guys post your best to go settings?

Best regards

Migaro

I don’t recommend using someone else’s setting as unit to unit variance will often mean plugging someone else’s settings in will result in a less accurate picture.

The HT3550 is pretty accurate out of the box and in D.Cinema it’s calibrated. But you could always buy a setup disc or download the excellent AVS709 suite here on this site. That will assist you setting up the SDR modes (cinema and vivid). For HDR10– unless you know what you’re doing I would be careful making too many adjustments besides ‘HDR brightness’ and whether or not to engage the wide color filter. This projector uses a proprietary HDR tone map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #465 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick sit rep:

I’ll be revisiting the Ht3550 for one more review now that the projector has reached it’s ‘final form’. I thought about simply updating my prior review (again) but the changes are substantial enough I feel it deserves another look. Hopefully I’ll finally be able to provide that video review I promised and never delivered on.

In other news, BenQ has some exciting things in the pipeline. Hopefully I’ll be able to share more soon.
hobbs47, pixphipau and jfjer like this.

post #466 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quick sit rep:

I’ll be revisiting the Ht3550 for one more review now that the projector has reached it’s ‘final form’. I thought about simply updating my prior review (again) but the changes are substantial enough I feel it deserves another look. Hopefully I’ll finally be able to provide that video review I promised and never delivered on.

In other news, BenQ has some exciting things in the pipeline. Hopefully I’ll be able to share more soon.
I'll be interested in hearing about this. I'm curious to hear if there will be any other 4K PJs by BenQ with the same Short Throw as the HT3550. I am still wanting to try the HT3550, but I'm waiting a bit for some things to settle down as it appears there are too many having issues. However, if there is something in the pipeline at the same Throw, I may wait for that.

Tony
post #467 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I'll be interested in hearing about this. I'm curious to hear if there will be any other 4K PJs by BenQ with the same Short Throw as the HT3550. I am still wanting to try the HT3550, but I'm waiting a bit for some things to settle down as it appears there are too many having issues. However, if there is something in the pipeline at the same Throw, I may wait for that.

With this throw we already know we’re getting a bright room version of the HT3550 that might end up being called the TK850. Just as BenQ followed up the release of the HT2550 home theater projector with the brighter but less color accurate TK800 living room projector. The HT3550 will continue to be the better choice for home theater use and I expect these will be the only two choices with this throw at this price.

Beyond that I can’t say much besides BenQ looks to be bringing the kind of diversity their HD product line currently enjoys to their 4K product line. Hopefully I can share more in the coming months.

post #468 of 507 Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quick sit rep:

Hi sage - by "final form" does that mean final hardware revision? Any idea when that should be in stock? I'm looking to pick up this projector within the next month or so but want to make sure I'm buying at the right time.

Thanks.
post #469 of 507 Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
Hi sage - by "final form" does that mean final hardware revision? Any idea when that should be in stock? I'm looking to pick up this projector within the next month or so but want to make sure I'm buying at the right time.

Thanks.

Final form as in the latest firmware revision. And yes I’m a colossal nerd for anyone who gets that reference. I’m sure there will be more firmware revisions going forward but I doubt any of them will have the impact on performance that this last one does.

BenQ is doing their best to get more product out. Unfortunately, their lens supplier initially delivered a lens that did not meet BenQ’s spec. This severely hampered availability at launch and they’ve been scrambling to keep up with demand since.

As far as buying at the right time: only you can make that decision. The HT3550 is an ambitious product that checks a lot of ‘firsts’ boxes but it would be would be fair to say it had a rough launch. Beyond the supply issues the HT3550 launched with some minor but annoying firmware bugs. I really enjoyed my initial experience with the projector but then I didn’t experience nearly as many issues that some owners had. Those issues have been addressed and the firmware revision adds welcome performance upgrades. If I were in the market for a 4k projector home theater projector with a $1500 budget— this would be my top pick.
sparky7, ng4ever and jfjer like this.

post #470 of 507 Old 06-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Final form as in the latest firmware revision. And yes I’m a colossal nerd for anyone who gets that reference. I’m sure there will be more firmware revisions going forward but I doubt any of them will have the impact on performance that this last one does.

BenQ is doing their best to get more product out. Unfortunately, their lens supplier initially delivered a lens that did not meet BenQ’s spec. This severely hampered availability at launch and they’ve been scrambling to keep up with demand since.

As far as buying at the right time: only you can make that decision. The HT3550 is an ambitious product that checks a lot of ‘firsts’ boxes but it would be would be fair to say it had a rough launch. Beyond the supply issues the HT3550 launched with some minor but annoying firmware bugs. I really enjoyed my initial experience with the projector but then I didn’t experience nearly as many issues that some owners had. Those issues have been addressed and the firmware revision adds welcome performance upgrades. If I were in the market for a 4k projector home theater projector with a $1500 budget— this would be my top pick.
Thanks. I've been waiting for the bugs to get worked out on this projector before pulling the trigger - would ideally like to avoid having to send it back for any reason that can't be fixed with a firmware update.
post #471 of 507 Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I am really trying to decide if the HT3550 or the HT5550 is the right pj for me. I have been a BenQ fan for a long time, so I would like to stay the course here, but I don't know if there is a significant enough difference between the two to justify the cost delta. The biggest thing that is pushing me towards the HT5550 is the lens shift for placement flexibility (I am in the Army and have to move a lot). I just wish I could find it for under MSRP...

Do you have any thoughts on the comparison?
post #472 of 507 Old 06-25-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I am really trying to decide if the HT3550 or the HT5550 is the right pj for me. I have been a BenQ fan for a long time, so I would like to stay the course here, but I don't know if there is a significant enough difference between the two to justify the cost delta. The biggest thing that is pushing me towards the HT5550 is the lens shift for placement flexibility (I am in the Army and have to move a lot). I just wish I could find it for under MSRP...

Being able to plop this projector(ht5550) on a bookshelf behind my recliner off center from the screen, has been a godsend for me.
post #473 of 507 Old 06-25-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

The HT5550 is a LOT more flexible in terms of placement. As a renter myself it’s nice knowing your projector has some flexibility to adapt to the room as opposed to always having to adapt the room to the projector. However, the Ht3550 is significantly cheaper and, of course, much more compact. Plus, the short throw on the HT3550 means you can rock an enormous screen in even tiny rooms. So there’s a trade off.

In terms of image performance, the HT5550 is certainly a step up over the HT3550. Now, whether or not that matches the 66% increase in price over the HT3550 is harder to say. My experience at the NY launch event was the HT3550 got you nearly there (in terms of picture quality) but that the Ht5550 was just a whole lot more refined. Sharper lens, better color/contrast and a larger, quieter chassis with a lot more lens shift/zoom.

post #474 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My first post here. Just bought the HT3550 which is an upgrade from the HT2050. From reading everything, I think am ok with a 110 inch screen from 12 ft away that my 2050 was at? Will the vertical offset also be the same? That part always confused my with the 2050 but the plan was to keep the 3550 in the same spot.
post #475 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburns07 View Post
My first post here. Just bought the HT3550 which is an upgrade from the HT2050. From reading everything, I think am ok with a 110 inch screen from 12 ft away that my 2050 was at? Will the vertical offset also be the same? That part always confused my with the 2050 but the plan was to keep the 3550 in the same spot.
Welcome!

12 ft is right at the edge of how far back the HT3550 can be placed and still target a 110” 16:9 screen. Technically 11ft 10in. But since the HT2050 worked I assume your actual lens is a bit closer?

post #476 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Thanks, its a great site with a ton of excellent info and experts.

Ok so this may be a dumb question but is it 11.10 from the screen to the very top of the lens? If so then I think I am at 11.95. The HT 2050 was always fine but i think the vertical offset is needing a tweak. The bottom part always seemed a tad smaller than the top. So I believe I have to figure out what the issue is. If i read correctly the info on the HT 3550 it should be about 3 inches higher than the screen correct?
post #477 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Ok so this may be a dumb question but is it 11.10 from the screen to the very top of the lens? If so then I think I am at 11.95. The HT 2050 was always fine but i think the vertical offset is needing a tweak. The bottom part always seemed a tad smaller than the top. So I believe I have to figure out what the issue is. If i read correctly the info on the HT 3550 it should be about 3 inches higher than the screen correct?
Throw range is calculated from screen to the lens.
Use this utility for exact measurements: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ulator-pro.htm

To avoid trapezoidal image the projector needs to be level with the floor and perpendicular to the screen.
Keystone should be avoided.

Projection - Offset 100%
Lens Shift - Vertical up to +10% one direction only (no negative shift)

100% offset means the center of the lens needs to be at the same level as the top of the visible edge of the screen (ceiling mount).
sage11x likes this.
post #478 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 PM

I was able to get it hooked up but i may need to move it a tad closer. I cant get it 100% to fill the 120 inch screen. My wife did not notice it but i did and i get a tad anal when i see something even a smidge off.

So far I really like it. I use apple tv for my 4k content and watched some Of Mission Impossible Fallout. It looked fantastic in 4k hdr 10. I am still getting used to it but so far so good.
post #479 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you have a trapezoidal image than your projector is not level or ‘square’ with your screen.

The lens shift on the HT3550 allows you to adjust the image so that the top of the image lines up with the center point of the lens.

post #480 of 507 Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
So lets say that there is confirmation 6-12 months down the road that all issues have been resolved with this model. Those who end up RMA'ing then; will Benq provide a brand new replacement or will they just exchange it with a refurb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page