BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 263Likes

post #481 of 526 Old 06-28-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
So lets say that there is confirmation 6-12 months down the road that all issues have been resolved with this model. Those who end up RMA'ing then; will Benq provide a brand new replacement or will they just exchange it with a refurb?

In my experience they fix the unit you have. If a replacement would be required... I’m not sure.

Again, not everyone is having issues. It’s a real shame that the HT3550 launch has seen as many issues as it has. But there are plenty of owners who have HT3550s that are working as designed. I’ve put well over 100 hours on a pre-production unit (which are known for being flakey) without issue. The iris was my only significant complaint in my review and that has been addressed with the latest firmware.

The complaint I continue to see pop up in the other thread is the CA. But at this point it’s clear that is part and partial to the design. If it’s something that bothers you than, well, this might not be the right projector for you. Personally I feel this issue has been a little overblown. But, again, my expectations might be different. I sit a mere 8 ft away from a 100” screen. If I can’t see it from my seat it’s not something that I consider significant enough to worry about. As a former plasma fan I learned a long time ago to stop pixel peeping. I do for the initial setup/focusing and the subsequent test patterns but after that I determine my feelings about a product with actual material from a ‘normal’ seating distance.
theritz likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-28-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 526 Old 06-29-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What exactly is the issue that will be in need of them fixing? I did the firmware update in mine and haven’t noticed anything weird with the unit. Is this something to be concerned about?
post #483 of 526 Old 06-29-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburns07 View Post
What exactly is the issue that will be in need of them fixing? I did the firmware update in mine and haven’t noticed anything weird with the unit. Is this something to be concerned about?

Some owners have reported that their projectors are defective or not performing to their expectations. If you haven't noticed anything weird then you're good. I haven't noticed anything weird either.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 526 Old 06-29-2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
In my experience they fix the unit you have. If a replacement would be required... I’m not sure.

Again, not everyone is having issues. It’s a real shame that the HT3550 launch has seen as many issues as it has. But there are plenty of owners who have HT3550s that are working as designed. I’ve put well over 100 hours on a pre-production unit (which are known for being flakey) without issue. The iris was my only significant complaint in my review and that has been addressed with the latest firmware.

The complaint I continue to see pop up in the other thread is the CA. But at this point it’s clear that is part and partial to the design. If it’s something that bothers you than, well, this might not be the right projector for you. Personally I feel this issue has been a little overblown. But, again, my expectations might be different. I sit a mere 8 ft away from a 100” screen. If I can’t see it from my seat it’s not something that I consider significant enough to worry about. As a former plasma fan I learned a long time ago to stop pixel peeping. I do for the initial setup/focusing and the subsequent test patterns but after that I determine my feelings about a product with actual material from a ‘normal’ seating distance.
Yeah my question was a more "if something happens down the road to my unit" rather than "I have a.b.c and d issues with it right now, but wanna wait to replace it". Regarding CA, yes, mine has it(anyone who says theirs doesn't is lying) - but I too sit @ 8ft. away from my 100" 1:1 screen so it does not bother me at all as I don't see it at that distance. I think I may have lucked out with my unit because aside the nosier fan vs my previous HT2050, everything else has been a significant upgrade for me. The previous issue with the random source drops appears to have been mitigated as I replaced my fiber hdmi cable(I believe it was faulty) and haven't had any issues since.
sage11x likes this.
post #485 of 526 Old 06-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Ok so i have my first issue. I have a 7.1 4k, hdr, dolby atmos, dolby vision denon receiver for my ht3550 setup. I have the same identical receiver upstairs for my tv that supports dolby vision and hdr10. I have an apple tv 4k, ps4 pro and xbox one x. Everything works perfectly when connected upstairs and downstairs the apple tv 4k and ps4 pro was work and are in 4k. Yet when i hook up the xbox one x it shows it can support 4k and hdr but when i switch it to 4k i get a no signal. Its very odd and i have tried several fixes i found online but nothing works. So i am confused as to why i cant view the xbox one x in 4k on the ht3550. Is something wrong with the xbox, receiver or ht3550? The other odd thing is the xbox works perfectly fine upstairs on the same receiver but different tv. I also swapped hdmi cables and still nothing. Any suggestions? Could it be my main hdmi cable from the ht3550 to my receiver? Its a long run of 40 feet but works fine with apple tv and ps4 in 4k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2D13E34-DE07-4F6C-842D-02362F820C71_1561923911327.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2586116   Click image for larger version

Name:	F88F4071-D193-437B-A860-FABFBC027D1E_1561923932820.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	2586118  
post #486 of 526 Old 06-30-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
It's the cable, 40 feet...
sage11x likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #487 of 526 Old 06-30-2019, 01:25 PM

Ok so if its the cable, any suggestions for one to buy on amazon? Does it have to be fiber? These hdmi cable descriptions are so confusing. Some say they dont support hdr10 at 60hz but then people say it does? Others say you need finer while some say you dont. Would this one be good?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140AE224-2639-444D-9C44-9ADA079E7B5F_1561926305687.png
Views:	42
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	2586130  
post #488 of 526 Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok so if its the cable, any suggestions for one to buy on amazon? Does it have to be fiber? These hdmi cable descriptions are so confusing. Some say they dont support hdr10 at 60hz but then people say it does? Others say you need finer while some say you dont. Would this one be good?
It won't work. Anything above 25' ft will more than likely run into issues if it's copper and you're trying to send 4k60fps + HDR down it. My recommendation is to get the ATZEBE fiber HDMI in your appropriate length.
sage11x likes this.
post #489 of 526 Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
It won't work. Anything above 25' ft will more than likely run into issues if it's copper and you're trying to send 4k60fps + HDR down it. My recommendation is to get the ATZEBE fiber HDMI in your appropriate length.
Happy to report that all of my recent display problems with the 3550 disappeared after installing a new 33’ RUIPRO fiber cable Saturday. My previously installed 25’ high speed cable was a certified Monoprice. However it was copper and for whatever reason failed after only a couple months in service. My 3550 is now back to peak performance. Sampled a number of 4K YouTube videos and a dozen or so UHD discs. Looks fantastic again.
sparky7, sage11x and subacabra like this.
post #490 of 526 Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In theory, if it carries the 'premium HDMI' holographic sticker than it's been tested and confirmed to work at the full 18Gbps. I'd make sure I find one that carries the certification or, at the very least, claims to hand test each cable and offers a generous return policy-- as my MediaBridge does.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/pr...n_Program.aspx

What gets tricky is you'll see a cable certified at a shorter length and the manufacturer will sell a longer length that is part of the same series but all of a sudden doesn't carry the cert. Honestly, I've had issues with HDMI cables longer that 10-15ft regardless of whether they carry the sticker or not. I don't have much experience with the fiber so I'll defer to xealo here. My solution was to move my equipment. Now everything is mounted in a small shelving unit in the back of the room.

post #491 of 526 Old 07-01-2019, 10:50 AM

I have the new fiber hdmi coming tomorrow. Getting 4k HDR over 25 ft is no joke, my error for not researching more. From what i read though, my existing cables to components from AV should be fine because they are all under 3ft. Hopefully thats the case.
post #492 of 526 Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Anyone having issues with the light border? Mine now has an awful light border on the sides. Probably going to send this version back and see what the new one holds.
post #493 of 526 Old 07-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Final form as in the latest firmware revision. And yes I’m a colossal nerd for anyone who gets that reference. I’m sure there will be more firmware revisions going forward but I doubt any of them will have the impact on performance that this last one does.

BenQ is doing their best to get more product out. Unfortunately, their lens supplier initially delivered a lens that did not meet BenQ’s spec. This severely hampered availability at launch and they’ve been scrambling to keep up with demand since.

As far as buying at the right time: only you can make that decision. The HT3550 is an ambitious product that checks a lot of ‘firsts’ boxes but it would be would be fair to say it had a rough launch. Beyond the supply issues the HT3550 launched with some minor but annoying firmware bugs. I really enjoyed my initial experience with the projector but then I didn’t experience nearly as many issues that some owners had. Those issues have been addressed and the firmware revision adds welcome performance upgrades. If I were in the market for a 4k projector home theater projector with a $1500 budget— this would be my top pick.
The Motion Enhancer in V1.0.2 seems less aggressive than V1.0.1, so I downgraded from V1.0.2 to V1.0.1.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #494 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post
The Motion Enhancer in V1.0.2 seems less aggressive than V1.0.1, so I downgraded from V1.0.2 to V1.0.1.

Good to know its possible to downgrade the Firmware for the Benq HT3550
Frank714 likes this.
post #495 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone having issues with the light border? Mine now has an awful light border on the sides. Probably going to send this version back and see what the new one holds.

Pics?

The light ‘border’ on the new DMD is a fraction of the size of the old one. That’s a physical difference in the chip. If you’re seeing a light border it’s likely you’ve activated the keystone by mistake. Look at your settings before processing an RMA— there might be nothing wrong with your projector.

post #496 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhanthony View Post

I’ll have to check that out but as I’ve stated before: to me, using MEMC is something akin to poking myself in the eyeballs with a stick.

post #497 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 AM

So auto keystone should be off? I always thought I was tech savvy but this ht3550 has me off my game because I just cant get it right where I want it with picture, hdmi cord, placement of the projector, and the light border. I may just go back to my ht2050 as it really is a great projector with an awesome picture.
post #498 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So auto keystone should be off? I always thought I was tech savvy but this ht3550 has me off my game because I just cant get it right where I want it with picture, hdmi cord, placement of the projector, and the light border. I may just go back to my ht2050 as it really is a great projector with an awesome picture.
If auto keystone is on and your projector is not level then the HT3550 will level the picture for you by enabling keystone.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with how keystone works but it essentially reduces the picture within the frame to keep you from seeing a trapezoidal image. It's a nice feature in a pinch and speaks to the portable nature of the HT3550 but there are down sides. First, keystone reduces resolution. Second, it means there will be at least two corners of your image with unused light-- essentially a light frame. If you are mounting your projector or care about getting the best image quality it would be best to mount the HT3550 square with your screen and disable keystone.
ng4ever likes this.

post #499 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What is some of the best projector mounts ? Portable/rolling one if possible.
post #500 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 02:56 PM

Thanks, i spent the good part of the afternoon adjusting and moving to get the perfect fit and I am happy to say its 99% now. Still waiting on my new fiber hdmi cord but after just letting it run for a bit it looks really good. I still have to mess with the settings some but i can see why you are so high on it. Not a fan of that auto keystone though, really threw me off things.
sage11x and ng4ever like this.
post #501 of 526 Old 07-02-2019, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
What is some of the best projector mounts ? Portable/rolling one if possible.

Peerless is good. Ugly and a little overkill for a projector this size but good. Omni mount if you can find one for a reasonable price. If you’re mounting to the ceiling I’m actually pretty fond of the BenQ OEM mount. Not the easiest to fine tune but it’s cheap and relatively attractive.

I sold my wall mount peerless a couple years back and I’m so upset I did. My current place pretty much demands a wall mount so I had to go with a cheap one off amazon. It’s sturdy enough but it has terrible adjustment and, well, I kind of hate myself because a new peerless wall mount is several hundred dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #502 of 526 Old 07-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
Greg, thanks a lot for your review! Super awesome information! I'm a bit ouf of the loop here, what happened to your old review site? I was still able to pull some old review info for comparison purposes:

I'm trying to decide between waiting on the HT3550/W2700, and pulling the trigger on the refurb 5040UB/TW9300. So far, conclusions are (correct me if I'm wrong):

Benq:
- Better at 4K
- Sharper
- Smaller / Lighter
- Lamp Life / Warranty

Epson:
- More controls (all motorized)
- Better contrast
- No rainbows

Looks like the Benq is a solid winner if you are flexible with placement and not rainbow sensitive? The question of contrast remains, how much better the Epson truly is? Is the sacrifice on sharpness on the Epson worth the gain in contrast?

Appreciate your input!
So which one did you end up getting? I am torn between the BenQ W2700 (cheaper) and the Epson EH-TW9400.
post #503 of 526 Old 07-12-2019, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drei View Post
So which one did you end up getting? I am torn between the BenQ W2700 (cheaper) and the Epson EH-TW9400.
I ended up returning the W2700. I'm currently thinking about the 5040UB, as there is a great deal on refurbished units from Epson. In the meantime, no movies for me
post #504 of 526 Old 07-13-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why did you return the Benq?
post #505 of 526 Old 07-14-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Another Ht3550/W2700 review:

https://rehders.de/test-benq-w2700-w...it-hdr-und-3d/

overall quite positive.

use google translate for your language of choice.
post #506 of 526 Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
And another very positive review:

http://audiovision.de/benq-w2700-test/

Again use google translate for your language of choice.
sage11x likes this.
post #507 of 526 Old 07-15-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Met Shane.Johannessen from BenQ what an asset to the company & a great guy to deal with .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #508 of 526 Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was so excited for the 2550 when it was announced that I bought it the day it came out, and now I feel as though the it has all but faded away. Should I be kicking myself for not waiting for the 3550?
post #509 of 526 Old 08-05-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfee View Post
I was so excited for the 2550 when it was announced that I bought it the day it came out, and now I feel as though the it has all but faded away. Should I be kicking myself for not waiting for the 3550?
Don't kick yourself for too long I'm sure within the next year or two there will be significant improvements again in projector technology and the price will obviously be coming down as well. Enjoy your projector as you have been I'm sure throws a really nice image.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
sparky7, sage11x and ng4ever like this.
post #510 of 526 Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Moving out of Optoma 50 UHD (Thanks Amazon for honoring warranty) and Jumping into BenQ 3550...what say you?
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page