BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 263Likes

post #61 of 525 Old 02-27-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
There’s no easy way to say goodbye...

Hannoo likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 525 Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
[QUOTE=sage11x;57665262]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post

Ah ha! So is it that 3D is more popular in Europe and the UK? I have not seen a 3D Blu-ray on the shelf of my local big box in ages.
Not a matter of popularity. At its height, 3D discs had a higher market share than 4k does. But those sales cut into 4k and since the industry wanted to push 4k, they eliminated 3D. One reason you dont see them at BB is that they sell-out on release day, sometimes within hours. So the demand is there. Just have to send the money elsewhere for some titles. (Recent Star Wars, Marvel)

Here are 3 domestic titles being released this montn, available through Best Buy. And Zavvi currently has a 3D sale on select Marvel titles 2 for $25.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6318732_sa_1551331339230.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	2532102   Click image for larger version

Name:	6324851_so_1551331460770.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2532104   Click image for larger version

Name:	11582573-1154548846741144_1551331619292.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	2532106   Click image for larger version

Name:	121922-L-HI_1551332361765.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2532108   Click image for larger version

Name:	81tiDLTJQNL_1551332668591._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	2532120  

sparky7 likes this.

Last edited by film113; 02-27-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #63 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
There’s no easy way to say goodbye...

I would kill myself if I was forced to do that

I have one question. Can you look at picture and tell if this Benq can handle light in my room when watching movies ( I mean 4k HDR with Iris)? Ofcourse it has been taken at day, but I assume it will be more darkened when I shall install screen and ofcourse at night. Also, would it be possible to watch football games at daytime with friends? I don't mind that much colour accuracy when watching sports. You have mentioned about two picture setting which can handle ambient light. Can they handle light at picture 2? I'm thinking about 100' or 120' 1.1 gain screen if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2532132   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	909.9 KB
ID:	2532134  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Either way. Both do a fantastic job of up conversion.

That reminds me of one thing, provided I remember correctly. IIRC you also had a Sony native 4K front projector at your disposal and from what I learned the upscaling of FullHD program content on Blu-ray to UHD resolution is supposedly quite impressive.

Can you comment on the upscaling / up conversion of this latest BenQ compared to what the Sony 4K projectors accomplish here?

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #65 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliasz Perun View Post

I have one question. Can you look at picture and tell if this Benq can handle light in my room when watching movies ( I mean 4k HDR with Iris)? Ofcourse it has been taken at day, but I assume it will be more darkened when I shall install screen and ofcourse at night. Also, would it be possible to watch football games at daytime with friends? I don't mind that much colour accuracy when watching sports. You have mentioned about two picture setting which can handle ambient light. Can they handle light at picture 2? I'm thinking about 100' or 120' 1.1 gain screen if that helps.

It’s hard to tell but it looks like a lot of light is still coming though around the blinds. Vivid/cinema in normal lamp would be able to handle picture 2 just fine. But, honestly, for that room you may want to consider a bright room projector like the TK800 or UHD51alv. Those will have more lumens to deal with ambient light and will still do an admirable job at night.

My room doesn’t seem so different until you consider I can completely eliminate the light coming through that glass door through the combination of blinds and black out curtains I’ve installed in the alcove. Even then, for serious viewing I usually wait until night time when I can get away with using the filter. This projector makes me wish I had my theater back... hopefully we find another house soon.
Eliasz Perun likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #66 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
That reminds me of one thing, provided I remember correctly. IIRC you also had a Sony native 4K front projector at your disposal and from what I learned the upscaling of FullHD program content on Blu-ray to UHD resolution is supposedly quite impressive.

Can you comment on the upscaling / up conversion of this latest BenQ compared to what the Sony 4K projectors accomplish here?

That definitely wasn’t me.

I know my lane and my lane is definitely the under $3k price point.
Frank714 likes this.

post #67 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=film113;57670844]
Quote:

Not a matter of popularity. At its height, 3D discs had a higher market share than 4k does. But those sales cut into 4k and since the industry wanted to push 4k, they eliminated 3D. One reason you dont see them at BB is that they sell-out on release day, sometimes within hours. So the demand is there. Just have to send the money elsewhere for some titles. (Recent Star Wars, Marvel)

Here are 3 domestic titles being released this montn, available through Best Buy. And Zavvi currently has a 3D sale on select Marvel titles 2 for $25.00.

I tried to buy Dr Strange in 3D and couldn’t find a copy for less than $50. Then I was surprised that COCO was either not released in 3D or simply not available. I’ll have to check out that sale.

Once I got to 4K... I like 3D, especially on DLP where crosstalk is virtually nonexistent. But if I had to choose between 3D and 4K/HDR I’m going 4K/HDR. I would still like to check out some new 3D titles but it annoys me that I would have to buy the movie in 4K AND in 3D. It would be nice if they offered a package with both 3d and 4K but I’ve yet to seen an example of that outside the lone Dredd release.

post #68 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for review and sorry for my english. I just one concern. How feel input lag in fps game, compare with w1070? I have 1070 and the lag is OK for me, but worry if 3550 feel bigger lag? I use projector only for gaming.
post #69 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

You can try an ALR screen with 1.2/1.5/and more gain. A grey ALR will significantly improve contrast level and depending on the gain brightness as well.
With the shades closed there is no difference between night/day viewing.

If you project a bright image (what's happening on the screen) at it you will get around 80% in daytime of what you get during night time without the blinds. I used it at 12 o'clock noon with the windows open on a sunny day. The projector had about 1500h lamp time (Benq W2000\HT3050) on Cinema without Brilliant Color (it helped turning it on though), throw range 1.5x. Sunlight did not land directly on the screen. No trees outside window.

Disadvantages are: hotspot, small sparkle on white/very bright images in the middle of the screen, limited projection and viewing angle (~90 degrees). If you don't want to buy an already made screen with these materials you can buy the fabric and make a wooden frame for a fraction of the cost.
sage11x and Eliasz Perun like this.
post #70 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
[QUOTE=sage11x;57671730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
Quote:

I tried to buy Dr Strange in 3D and couldn’t find a copy for less than $50. Then I was surprised that COCO was either not released in 3D or simply not available. I’ll have to check out that sale.

Once I got to 4K... I like 3D, especially on DLP where crosstalk is virtually nonexistent. But if I had to choose between 3D and 4K/HDR I’m going 4K/HDR. I would still like to check out some new 3D titles but it annoys me that I would have to buy the movie in 4K AND in 3D. It would be nice if they offered a package with both 3d and 4K but I’ve yet to seen an example of that outside the lone Dredd release.
Well combos make too much sense for the scammy home theater market. But there have been some released. One I have is GHOSTBUSTERS. Say what you want about the movie but the director pulled out all the stops for 3D with A LOT of frame-breaking. Combos still exist overseas. A few I can remember: Wonder Woman, Blade Runner 2049, War for Planet of Apes, etc. I'll attach a few.

As for one format over another, it depends. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 3D was virtually indistinguishable from the 4k. And since it was designed for 3D,
AND switches to the IMAX ratio, that's the preference. Venom, on the other hand, 4k wins out (But the 3d is more fun.

Coco did get a 3D release, again everywhere but America. Dr Strange was a big seller and pretty much sold out on Day One. I've actually seen it listed from $75 - $100! I lucked out and found one copy at the bottom of a pile of 2D versions at Target. Trust me, you want this one in 3D. It too switches to IMAX. If I lost mine & had to replace it for $50, I would!

Domestic 3D/4K combo releases:

Passengers
Ghostbusters
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
Angry Birds
Pacific Rim Uprising
Kong: Skull Island
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Dredd
Hercules

Imports:
Venom
Justice League
BvS
Cars 3
Spider-Man Homecoming
King Arthur
Wonder Woman
Blade Runner 2049
...many more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l400 (2)_1551368667339.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2532220   Click image for larger version

Name:	6240902_sa_1551368691301.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	2532228   Click image for larger version

Name:	91abrbPn-cL_1551368710228._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	2532234   Click image for larger version

Name:	51Estj53yhL_1551368721364._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2532236   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l400 (1)_1551368734232.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	2532238  

Name:	41MUYJE+aBL_1551369843780._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2532286  
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by film113; 02-28-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #71 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by miromiv View Post
Thanks for review and sorry for my english. I just one concern. How feel input lag in fps game, compare with w1070? I have 1070 and the lag is OK for me, but worry if 3550 feel bigger lag? I use projector only for gaming.

This is probably the hardest question I get asked.

Lag effects everyone differently. Had you asked me this same question a couple of years ago I would have said you absolutely shouldn’t game on a display with more than 33ms of lag. But I’ve softened that stance more recently as I’ve come to understand that plenty of gamers play on displays with much higher input lag and never even notice it. My hard line against input lag was starting to make me sound a little too preachy.

One thing to consider is modern games have become much more forgiving. I don’t want to get into the whole ‘dumbing down of the modern AAA video game’ discussion but I’ll say that: playing the recently released Horizon Zero Dawn or Spider-Man is a lot more tolerant of input lag than, say, playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on your NES classic. This has to do with a variety of factors from built in controller lag to generous amounts of post processing effects and blur being added to the image.

Then there’s the DLP tech itself. I’ll probably start a flame war here but 63ms of lag on a DLP is better than 63ms of lag on a 3LCD or LCOS. DLP has inherently high motion clarity and is impervious to blur, smear and other artifacts that effect sample-and-hold displays. Now that plasma is dead and buried, DLP is carrying the torch as the last pulse type display you can still buy. I often chose to play games on my plasma rather than my ultra fast LCD gaming monitor. That may have something to do with the fact that I didn’t outright reject the HT3550 for games.

I played a couple of hours of God of War on the Ht3550. It didn’t feel at all different from the HT2550. Honestly, I had a lot of fun owing to the HT3550’s improved motion clarity and picture. I don’t know... maybe I’m just getting soft in my old age. Still, I was playing on normal difficulty and even then I found myself playing more defensively than I would on a low latency display. I ended up equipping that talisman that increases your parry window— that helped a lot. I would not probably have attempted the muspelheim trials and there was no way I was going to beat Sigrun on this thing.

Would I recommend the HT3550 to competitive gamers? Absolutely not. If you’re a competitive player you want every last shred of performance and shoring up display latency is an easy win— get yourself a BenQ HT2050A or an Optoma HD27HDR. If you’re a casual gamer the HT3550 will get the job done but there are other, better options out there. If you do end up with the HT3550 just don’t expect to play at the highest difficulty levels.

Last edited by sage11x; 02-28-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #72 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
It’s hard to tell but it looks like a lot of light is still coming though around the blinds. Vivid/cinema in normal lamp would be able to handle picture 2 just fine. But, honestly, for that room you may want to consider a bright room projector like the TK800 or UHD51alv. Those will have more lumens to deal with ambient light and will still do an admirable job at night.

My room doesn’t seem so different until you consider I can completely eliminate the light coming through that glass door through the combination of blinds and black out curtains I’ve installed in the alcove. Even then, for serious viewing I usually wait until night time when I can get away with using the filter. This projector makes me wish I had my theater back... hopefully we find another house soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
You can try an ALR screen with 1.2/1.5/and more gain. A grey ALR will significantly improve contrast level and depending on the gain brightness as well.
With the shades closed there is no difference between night/day viewing.

If you project a bright image (what's happening on the screen) at it you will get around 80% in daytime of what you get during night time without the blinds. I used it at 12 o'clock noon with the windows open on a sunny day. The projector had about 1500h lamp time (Benq W2000\HT3050) on Cinema without Brilliant Color (it helped turning it on though), throw range 1.5x. Sunlight did not land directly on the screen. No trees outside window.

Disadvantages are: hotspot, small sparkle on white/very bright images in the middle of the screen, limited projection and viewing angle (~90 degrees). If you don't want to buy an already made screen with these materials you can buy the fabric and make a wooden frame for a fraction of the cost.
Thanks for your response!
Maybe I wasn't clear about my question. In daytime I don't need serious colour, just fun when watching football, so maybe calibrated bright mode can handle ambient light?
Also when it comes to light around blinds it should be eliminated by screen. It should cover almost whole wall so no almost no light from outside. And one last thing, how ALR screens affect 3D?
post #73 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And one last thing, how ALR screens affect 3D?
3D glasses cut brightness. ALR screens are generally gain positive, so a brighter screen is better for 3D, especially with the lamp dimming over time.
The increased gain will also help on HDR mode since it also cuts brightness.

Quote:
Thanks for your response!
Maybe I wasn't clear about my question. In daytime I don't need serious colour, just fun when watching football, so maybe calibrated bright mode can handle ambient light?
Also when it comes to light around blinds it should be eliminated by screen. It should cover almost whole wall so no almost no light from outside.

It really depends on how much light there is in the room. Light can come from windows, but also lights, reflections on walls.

Here are some examples. You will notice that the parts of the image that are supposed to be black are grey (with the lights on), but the bright parts are reflected well. The first two have comparisons with white screens in various lightning scenarios:

Last edited by noob00224; 02-28-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #74 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Pictures from my setup, with lights off vs one 75W light. You can see the yellow light in the upper center.
The google homepage shot shows the hotspot. Fabric is Cinegrey 3D.

LE: there are ALR screens that don't have any drawbacks, but cost more than the projector.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2170.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	1,022.1 KB
ID:	2532416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2532418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2532422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2175.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2532424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2532426  

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2532428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2532430   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2171.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	2532432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2177.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	775.8 KB
ID:	2532434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	823.7 KB
ID:	2532442  

sage11x likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 02-28-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #75 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
That’s awesome! I’m not there yet— haha! Especially now that HDR10 is the standard. Which is why I put SO much emphasis on HDR tone mapping in my review.

It’s not going to be that high. My eyeball guesstimate when comparing head to head with an HT2050A is native contrast will fall just behind the best 1080p models but the addition of HDR, the Dynamic Black with iris, and the awesome color volume of the HT3550 pushes it’s dynamic contrast or perceived contrast well beyond what that model is capable of.

Everyone needs to remember that the Epson 4010, a projector praised for it’s contrast/blacks, measures the same native contrast as an HT2050A. An iris, the smart application of contrast algorithms and quality HDR tone mapping can make all the difference.
I don't know of a single person who has praised the contrast level of the Epson 4010. It has very low native contrast close to 1400:1.
post #76 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You had me at RGB/RGB colorwheel. Fantastic review. Thank you. I've been a long time Optoma DLP (HD8300 RGB/RGB) owner, but the BenQ HT3550 sounds like a great affordable leap into a DLP 4K projector.
sage11x likes this.
post #77 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I don't know of a single person who has praised the contrast level of the Epson 4010. It has very low native contrast close to 1400:1.

It’s actually less— 1250:1.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

“Budget DLPs win the clarity contest with their single chip designs and lightning-fast DMD devices. But contrast is still king and that is where Epson has no competition in this price class.

For less than $2000, the Home Cinema 4010 delivers the best dynamic range short of a $5000 model from JVC or Sony.”

Getting back to the HT3550– I was impressed by it’s contrast and blacks but then I’m not unrealistic and expecting it to compete with JVCs costing over 4 times the price. In this price range the performance is very good and certainly better than competing 4K DLPs. Compared to the 1080p HT2050A my guess is it will fall shy of that models native contrast but should have a much higher dynamic contrast thanks to the HDR and iris.

Last edited by sage11x; 02-28-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #78 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
It’s actually less— 1250:1.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

“Budget DLPs win the clarity contest with their single chip designs and lightning-fast DMD devices. But contrast is still king and that is where Epson has no competition in this price class.

For less than $2000, the Home Cinema 4010 delivers the best dynamic range short of a $5000 model from JVC or Sony.”

Getting back to the HT3550– I was impressed by it’s contrast and blacks but then I’m not unrealistic and expecting it to compete with JVCs costing over 4 times the price. In this price range the performance is very good and certainly better than competing 4K DLPs. Compared to the 1080p HT2050A my guess is it will fall shy of that models native contrast but should have a much higher dynamic contrast thanks to the HDR and iris.
Are you saying that if you watch 1080p material on the HT3550 (since no HDR), that it will fall shy of the HT2050a in Contrast and Blacks? I don't care about Lag and realize that the HT2050a is much better than the HT3550 on it, but for all other things, I want Better at 2x the $ which includes Contrast and Blacks. I guess maybe I will just need to add more velvet in my room to include ceiling and the floor
post #79 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Are you saying that if you watch 1080p material on the HT3550 (since no HDR), that it will fall shy of the HT2050a in Contrast and Blacks? I don't care about Lag and realize that the HT2050a is much better than the HT3550 on it, but for all other things, I want Better at 2x the $ which includes Contrast and Blacks. I guess maybe I will just need to add more velvet in my room to include ceiling and the floor
Would think the iris will make a bit of a difference.

And I actually get these little polyurethane blocks I've been contemplating sticking them up on the ceiling to kill light and tame the acoustics. They are dark gray which should do the trick.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #80 of 525 Old 02-28-2019, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

As @dbpaddler suggested, the iris DOES make a big difference. That said the HT2050A has excellent contrast for the price. 1300:1 native with 2000:1 dynamic (lamp dimming). I expect the HT3550’s numbers to fall short on the first and easily surpass the second. We’ll see.

There’s no way to get around this fact: contrast costs $$$. About the best you can get below $3000 is the Sony 45ES at $2k (1080p only) or the Epson 5040ub at $2.5k (1080p x 2 and soon to be replaced— or so everyone hopes).

post #81 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi Sage,

Thanks for the excellent review you've put together. I currently own an Optoma UHD51 that I bought as an intermediate solution to get a nice 4K/HDR picture on my screen before going to a (better?) and more expensive Sony 4K projector.
I must say that I was, and still am, surprised about the picture quality (including HDR) and especially about the 3D DLP capabilities having had only 3 LCD / LCOS projectors before. Compared to my Sony VPL-HW55ES watching 3D was a relieve since I could never get rid of some ghosting on the Sony. The Optoma shares the same DMD and I wonder how the UHD51(A) would compare to the Benq HT3550, I do have the light border and it doesn't really bother me. Looking for a side by side comparison of both projectors.
It seems the hunt for high quality not so expensive 4K projectors is really open now.

Mike

BTW: Did you notice your marvelous Joy Division poster hangs upside down?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	abc.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	2532816  
sage11x likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940E (75XE9405) | Sony XBR-55X9305E (55XE9305) | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Optoma UHD51 | OPPO UDP 203 + 103D | Denon X4200W + PMA-520AE (Atmos Front) | 2 x Apple TV 4K | 2 x JBL Northridge E80 - JBL Northridge E150P/230 - 2 x ELAC B5 - 4 x ELAC A4 - ELAC Uni-Fi UC5

Last edited by MBullen; 03-01-2019 at 12:39 AM.
post #82 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBullen View Post
The Optoma shares the same DMD and I wonder how the UHD51(A) would compare to the Benq HT3550, I do have the light border and it doesn't really bother me. Looking for a side by side comparison of both projectors.

Perhaps this one will do for the time being: http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...tion-ise-2019/

(however, setup by BenQ, obviously)
sage11x and MBullen like this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #83 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Perhaps this one will do for the time being: http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...tion-ise-2019/

(however, setup by BenQ, obviously)
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the link! I know Grégory, he's a decent reviewer and pretty straight forward about things.
The article seems quite interesting, I'll have a look at it.

Mike
sage11x likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940E (75XE9405) | Sony XBR-55X9305E (55XE9305) | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Optoma UHD51 | OPPO UDP 203 + 103D | Denon X4200W + PMA-520AE (Atmos Front) | 2 x Apple TV 4K | 2 x JBL Northridge E80 - JBL Northridge E150P/230 - 2 x ELAC B5 - 4 x ELAC A4 - ELAC Uni-Fi UC5
post #84 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
It says on there that the w5700 (and the uhd65) have a superior image to the w2700. I was surprised to hear the UHD65 thrown into the mix.
post #85 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post
It says on there that the w5700 (and the uhd65) have a superior image to the w2700. I was surprised to hear the UHD65 thrown into the mix.

My French is not perfect, but I was under the impression that the intended statement was that if we moved pricewise from the HT3550 to the HT5550 and further to the more expensive UHD65, the HT5550 / W5700 was the favorite of what the reviewer saw during this shootout.
sage11x likes this.

post #86 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rinaldi View Post

My French is not perfect, but I was under the impression that the intended statement was that if we moved pricewise from the HT3550 to the HT5550 and further to the more expensive UHD65, the HT5550 / W5700 was the favorite of what the reviewer saw during this shootout.
I got from it that the w5700 was a superior unit to the udh65 but they were both a step ahead of the w2700
sage11x likes this.
post #87 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
MBullen, how do you feel about your Sony vs your optima for non-3d viewing? I'm considering some of these newer 4k DLPs but am concerned about stepping down in native contrast and black levels. Sony vw40es in my case.
sage11x likes this.
post #88 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Pictures from my setup, with lights off vs one 75W light. You can see the yellow light in the upper center.
The google homepage shot shows the hotspot. Fabric is Cinegrey 3D.

LE: there are ALR screens that don't have any drawbacks, but cost more than the projector.
Thanks for your advice! So if I understand that right alr screen make colours look better in daylight. At night there is not so big difference. Also you said something about brightness positive. Does it mean it has gain over 1.0? I have a chance to buy dreamscreen V6 d65 gray. Is it a good choice?
post #89 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrence3 View Post
MBullen, how do you feel about your Sony vs your optima for non-3d viewing? I'm considering some of these newer 4k DLPs but am concerned about stepping down in native contrast and black levels. Sony vw40es in my case.

The contrast / black level is of course better on the Sony especially since it has a dynamic iris in comparison to the Optoma (and the 40ES). But it is the 4K, HDR and WCG that made me choose to step up to the Optoma. Unfortunately I had to put my anamorphic lens aside too, the Optoma has a limited x1.3 zoom were as the Sony has x1.6, since I am pretty close to my 2.35:1 screen the installation of the Optoma gave me some headaches, I had to move it forward by about 50cm and get rid of the anamorphic lens, the throw ratio became a pain for the lens (and my eyes). The lens of the Optoma is also recessed which certainly didn't help. I use zoom now and with 4K for me it isn't that bad after all, I use the 2.35:1 settings on the Oppo 203.

I almost only watch without any daylight involved so the loss of the better contrast wasn't a real killer for me.

Mike

Edit:

BTW, screen is 100"

Last edited by MBullen; 03-01-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #90 of 525 Old 03-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Thanks Mike. Almost impossible choice without testing in my own space I guess.

My screen is 100" too (dnp supernova)
MBullen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page