BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #91 of 507 Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Yes, it would nice to get some advice on the Benq ht3550 vs. the Sony hw40es.
gooch02000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 507 Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
@sage11x

So as not to muddy up the main ht3550 page anymore, thought I'd continue this here. You mentioned Silent Mode and I couldn't find too much info on that except it disables pixel shifting. If you do this, is it then possible to run 1080p at a native 120hz and therefore get clean 24hz motion in full hd? Does Silent Mode do anything else like disabling the iris or cutting the brightness etc.?

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
post #93 of 507 Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
@sage11x

So as not to muddy up the main ht3550 page anymore, thought I'd continue this here. You mentioned Silent Mode and I couldn't find too much info on that except it disables pixel shifting. If you do this, is it then possible to run 1080p at a native 120hz and therefore get clean 24hz motion in full hd? Does Silent Mode do anything else like disabling the iris or cutting the brightness etc.?

I just responded to someone in the other thread about this very same subject. So I’m going to test out the 24Hz in silent/1080p when I receive the projector back. As I explained in the other post: silence disables EVERYTHING. It is essentially it’s own picture mode and it’s not really intended to be used for anything besides running the projector in it’s lowest power/volume.
ryudoadema likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 507 Old 03-01-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliasz Perun View Post
Thanks for your advice! So if I understand that right alr screen make colours look better in daylight. At night there is not so big difference. Also you said something about brightness positive. Does it mean it has gain over 1.0? I have a chance to buy dreamscreen V6 d65 gray. Is it a good choice?
ALR fabric improves contrast in all situations.
I didn't get the ALR screen to watch it without curtains/with lights on, I use it almost exclusively with lights off.
The room has white walls and the reflections washed out the image on a matte white screen I had. That screen was made out of blackout fabric, so I don't know how a white projector screen material would have handled it, but I assume worse than the Cinegrey 3D I have now.
Some reviews:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/amb...-screens-2.htm
https://www.projectorreviews.com/eli...eview-summary/

You do need to be aware of the drawbacks of these type of materials, for instance the Cinegrey 3D has Viewing Angle: 90° (45° L/R). It has to be positioned on the center axis of the screen, not that the HT3550 has any horizontal lens shift, it has Keystone which is software processing and should be avoided: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ection-screens

Gain 1.0 means the screen is neutral and reflects the same amount of light projected at it. A negative gain screen of for example 0.8 reflects 80%, and a positive gain screen reflects more (1.5 gain=150%, 50%, more light).

I don't know abut the dreamscrean, can't find any proper info. It seems it has a gain of 0.8(?). Found it being discussed on this thread, apparently it's a bit dim: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-sc...l#post54580456

You can ask about this fabric on the screen sub forum, perhaps someone has one of these models: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/

LE: Saw the dreamscream screen mentioned is grey. A matte grey screen, even at gain 1.0 will dull the colors, make the white gray. You'll get better blacks, but at the expense of everything else.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 03-02-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #95 of 507 Old 03-02-2019, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Well I just got my 120" elite Sable screen. Couldn't turn down the open box on Amazon. Figure I can play with changing the throw of the JVC, and if it doesn't work well, be fairly confident I'll be content with the 3550 after reading this excellent review.
@sage11x Definitely a credit to the members having people like you take the time to review and not just rely on AV site reviews. This place was the reason I started off with the Infocus 4805, Bravo D1 and tiny 68" screen. Amazing that I got my sister a Sony TV bigger than my first projection screen. Thankfully it's the one tech area where I keep my upgrade-itis in check and put my early adopter hat to the side. The price and the features do make this seem like an easy purchase.

So the time and effort you put into this is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
sage11x likes this.
post #96 of 507 Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Well I just got my 120" elite Sable screen. Couldn't turn down the open box on Amazon. Figure I can play with changing the throw of the JVC, and if it doesn't work well, be fairly confident I'll be content with the 3550 after reading this excellent review.
@sage11x Definitely a credit to the members having people like you take the time to review and not just rely on AV site reviews. This place was the reason I started off with the Infocus 4805, Bravo D1 and tiny 68" screen. Amazing that I got my sister a Sony TV bigger than my first projection screen. Thankfully it's the one tech area where I keep my upgrade-itis in check and put my early adopter hat to the side. The price and the features do make this seem like an easy purchase.

So the time and effort you put into this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the support and positivity shared with me here and on Scotty’s thread! Once I receive the HT3550 back from BenQ expect to see an update on it’s performance as well as some comparisons for those looking to upgrade.

More to come!
dbpaddler likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #97 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I've had the opportunity to spend the last two weeks checking out a pre-production sample of the new BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector. Please consider this a preview or 'pre-review' as the firmware on my sample is not the same as the one that will ship with the HT3550 when it goes on sale next month. By the time this review will be posted my sample will be en route to receive a rework and update. Once I receive the projector back I will update this space with any changes necessary.

As always, please feel free to post any questions or comments below and thanks for reading!

1. Introduction

2. Hardware Tour

3. Features and Performance

4. Setup

5. Viewing Experience

6. Conclusion

1. Introduction

BenQ has long had a reputation for making high performance, high value projectors. A year ago they introduced the HT2550, the first 4K projector to retail for less than $1500. While the HT2550 certainly gets credit for pushing 4K into a new realm of affordability, in many ways, it was representative of the entry level 4K segment it effectively launched-- Lacking many of the features and some of the performance that similarly priced 1080p projectors had been enjoying up to that point. Since then, the market has been flooded with affordable 4K projectors and it is into this competitive market that BenQ is introducing their latest, the HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector. I've spent the last two weeks with a pre-production HT3550, putting it through it's paces and viewing a wide variety of content in various room conditions. Amazingly, BenQ has managed to significantly improve image performance while introducing a host of exciting new features while not raising the price. The HT3550 will cost just $1499.99 when it launches next month-- the same price the HT2550 sold for just one year ago! This is the first projector below $2000 to offer real (95% coverage) DCI-P3 expanded color gamut support and the first in it's class to offer an Active Iris to improve contrast and blacks. BenQ is also introducing it's new HDR-Pro tone mapping technology with the HT3550 and it's the best implementation of HDR I've yet seen on a projector. As if that wasn't enough, BenQ pre-calibrates each HT3550 that leaves the factory. Let's check it out in more detail below.

2. Hardware Tour

The HT3550 is single chip, True 4K DLP projector with an RGBRGB colorwheel rated at 2000 ANSI lumens. By now you probably all know the drill, the HT3550 utilizes Texas Instrument's XPR pixel shifting technology to achieve a True 4K UHD resolution of 3840x2160. What you might be surprised to hear is the HT3550 uses a new version of Texas Instrument's ubiquitous .47" DMD that… wait for it… finally eliminates the grey border that has been a fixture of affordable 4K DLPs for the past year. Hurray! While I was on record saying that some of the outcry over this artifact *may* have been slightly exaggerated, I'll be the first to say that it's a real pleasure to have it gone.

The basic size and shape of the HT3550 should be familiar to anyone who has owned or shopped for a DLP in the past several years. It's a rectangular box-- lens in the front, connections in the back, weighs about 10 lbs. Still, BenQ has added some nice touches both cosmetic and functional that do help to set the HT3550 apart from it's competition. While the external housing is a matte white that resists reflections and finger prints, the face plate is a handsome dark taupe with a brushed metal look that I was surprised to find is actual metal! The lens sits in a recessed aperture cut into the front faceplate. BenQ includes a lens cap that attaches to the projector with a string and snaps into place with very little effort. In front of the lens sits a black plastic lens guard that is a functional element to block light from leaking onto the ceiling when mounted (BenQ added this element in response to complaints about the prior HT2550). The lens shift and focus/zoom dials sit beneath a sliding plastic door on the top of the projector. Both sides of the projector have large vents cut into them and I can count three fans drawing air through the chassis (more on that later). In operation, these vents do reveal a fair amount of light from within the projector but, again, BenQ has been careful to ensure that no light is leaking forward. Around back, you'll find possibly the finest looking derriere in all of projector-dom. The entire rear faceplate is dominated by a perforated metal speaker grill that matches the color of the front faceplate. BenQ clearly designed the back of the HT3550 with the assumption that it might be used on a coffee table and therefore be visible. The grill hides two 5 watt chamber speakers that do a surprisingly good job of filling a room with sound. All of the HT3550's connections are arranged neatly in a thin strip cut into the center of the grill.

Speaking of connections, the HT3550 comes well equipped with two HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 ports both of which are capable of accepting 4K @ 60Hz. You'll find a pair of full size USB connections, one for the included media player and firmware updates and the other strictly for power. Another mini USB is included for firmware updates. You get both SPDIF optical and 3.5mm audio out ports. Finally, the HT3550 includes both an RS-232 port and a 12V trigger for those that utilize a home automation system or motorized drop down screen.

The included remote is backlit with a soft orange glow that is perfect for use in a dark room. I have one complaint about the remote and it concerns a button I feel is missing from it but I'll discuss that more in the performance section. In the meantime, I want to thank BenQ for acquiescing to my OCD by finally including a button for 'test pattern' on the remote. And featured prominently in the upper right corner no less!

Lens and Placement

Fans of the W1070 and later HT2050/HT3050 will be happy to hear that BenQ has equipped the HT3550 with a 'shorter' throw of 1.13 - 1.47. This will allow the HT3550 to target a 120" screen in just under 10 feet. Zoom ratio is 1.3X and the projector features a small amount of vertical lens shift. Overall, I had little issue getting the projector aligned and focused but the focus ring is a bit touchier than I'd prefer. I also ran into an issue where the lens shift wheel on my sample had an unusual dead spot in the middle of it’s travel. Again, this didn't impact my ability to align with my screen but was a minor annoyance. As I mentioned above in the introduction my review sample is a very early, pre-production, 'engineering' unit and as such it’s fair to expect some flaws. Still, I contacted BenQ about the problem and they confirmed to me that it was an issue with the batch my sample came from and would be fixed before the HT3550 begins first production.

The lens is a new 10 element all glass design that BenQ says helps contribute to improved contrast and black level performance. The lens on my sample is very good but not at all perfect. Focus is sharp showing only an ever so slight softening at the extreme left/right edges of the screen-- nothing that I would consider objectionable. However, the lens did exhibit what I would consider a higher than expected amount of chromatic aberration. To be fair, I had a very difficult time seeing any evidence of this from my seat and it didn't impact any of my testing.

BenQ has seen fit to include the same auto leveling, vertical keystone feature from the HT2550/TK800. As always, I recommend taking the time to square your projector with the screen to avoid using keystone when possible but's a nice feature in a pinch.

Noise

If you've been following any of the 4K DLPs released over this past year you'll know that complaints about noise stemming from the optical actuator have permeated the conversation about these models. I'm happy to report that, just like the elimination of the grey light border, BenQ has eliminated the actuator buzz in the HT3550! Switching the projector between it's default 4K and silent modes-- silent mode disables the pixel shift and thus the optical actuator--and with my ear up close to the projector I could barely detect any audible difference. Very impressive indeed!

Now, none of this is to say that the HT3550 is a silent projector. This is, after all, a very compact DLP. I mentioned earlier that the HT3550 has three fans that draw air through the chassis. My apartment usually hovers around 37dB of ambient noise. Running in Eco lamp power the HT3550 only raised that to 40dB. In normal lamp operation, the volume of fan noise increases significantly and I now measure 44dB of ambient noise in my room. That's not quite loud enough to be distracting but it is loud enough to be noticeable over a quiet movie soundtrack.

Lastly, I received a few questions about iris noise. While the iris does make noise the sound is a quiet crackling that is barely audible. It didn't bother me.

3. Features and Performance

Motion Enhancer

A lot of people are fond of this feature and it's one that has been requested for some time. For the record I've never been a fan of CFI (creative frame insertion) features but for this review I did test the function and it works surprisingly well. On the two lower settings I found the smoothing effect to work well enough without introducing noticeable artifacts. I could see myself actually using it for streaming content or TV sports-- From me that's high praise. At the higher settings you get the 'soap opera' effect that some people enjoy but I do not.

3D

3D is all but dead but there continues to be a lot of enthusiasm for the format especially among the projector community. Happily, BenQ is still supporting the format with the HT3550. Some readers will remember that I had some difficulty with 3D on BenQ's two prior 4K projectors, the HT2550 and TK800. I had no such issues this time. The HT3550 detects when a 3D source is present and automatically switches into it's 3D picture preset. 3D is displayed in 1080p only. The image is satisfyingly sharp with no hint of crosstalk. All four of my various brand 3D glasses worked without problems. As will any RGBRGB DLP the image brightness in 3D is definitely more suitable for dark room use.

Built in Speakers

I always suggest pairing your projector with a proper surround sound system but if you're in a pinch or maybe using the HT3550 in another room, BenQ has you covered. The HT3550 contains a pair of rear facing 5 watt chamber speakers. While they won't shake your foundation with deep bass they do a surprisingly good job filling a room with sound and dialogue intelligibility is high. Because they face rearward this obviously works better if you have the projector sitting on a table in front of you as opposed to mounted above or behind your seating.

Input Lag

Input lag is 63/64ms. To achieve this measurement you have to make sure all extraneous image processing is turned off. That includes the Active Iris, Motion Enhancer, and setting the 4K pixel enhancer to 0. The HT3550 does not feature any game mode or fast mode to improve performance here further. This is a bit disappointing as this is a full frame slower than last years HT2550 (for the record I clocked that projector using the same Bodnar tester at 45/46ms). Although not totally unexpected-- DLPs equipped with the MEMC Motion Enhancer (CFI) always seem to score slower here than DLPs without Even when the feature is turned off.

Video Processing

I was happy to see the HT3550 has improved on it's predecessors when it comes to handling 24Hz content. The HT2550 exhibited a good degree of judder with 24Hz content so much so it was better to have your source output 60Hz. While the HT3550 still cannot display 24HZ content natively like it's 1080p siblings it performs the 3:2 pulldown properly and with a minimum of judder and motion artifacts. Please see some video I uploaded below. The first is 24Hz and the second is 30Hz.

https://youtu.be/8aty0vkgvUY

https://youtu.be/xPNeQfyFzBE

4. Setup

The HT3550 is a bit like a modern sports car… bear with me here. If you've driven a modern performance car you know there is a setting for everything. You can adjust steering feel, suspension firmness, throttle response, etc. all to get the right performance for the road you're on or the mood you happen to be in at that time. While each of the controls, individually, is not that complex the trick is in just how many different combinations you can achieve simply by adjusting one of two features. See where I'm going here?

The HT3550 offers a LOT of picture controls. And just like my analogous sports car each of the controls by themselves are not difficult to understand what effect they will have on the picture. In fact, you may even wish for slightly more granularity when it comes to certain controls— like the Active Iris, for example (it's on or off, by the way). What is amazing is just how many combinations you can achieve by subtly tweaking different features.

Now, if this sounds daunting to you, don't worry. I understand it's not everyone's idea of a good time to tweak menu settings or to customize picture presets. The good news is BenQ has setup the HT3550 very well to work great out-of-the-box without having to touch a thing besides maybe selecting the right picture mode or maybe the right lamp power for your room/ambient light situation. I'm going to spend the next few paragraphs attempting to explain, as simply as I can, the different options that are available to you. If your eyes have already glassed over I suggest you skip forward to the Viewing Experience section.

The HT3550 comes with 5 selectable SDR picture presets and one HDR preset. The SDR presets are Bright, Vivid, Cinema, D Cinema and User. The HDR10 preset only becomes accessible when feeding the display an HDR10 source. Unlike some projectors the HT3550 will auto-detect HDR content and automatically switch to the HDR mode.

You can break down the different SDR presets by the kind of viewing environment they are intended for. Bright is the requisite high ambient light mode that should only be used as a last resort due to it's strong green tint. Vivid and Cinema are both appropriate for less than ideal rooms or rooms where some ambient light might be present. Both have very good color with Cinema offering a more natural image while Vivid is brighter with enhanced color saturation. D Cinema and User are both appropriate for dark room or theater room viewing. The D Cinema preset is the one that is calibrated from the factory and it's here you'll find the best black levels and color accuracy for SDR content in an appropriately dark cinema environment. All of the modes allow access to adjust basic picture controls such as contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc. as well as access advanced color/gamma controls and customization of the Iris, Brilliant Color setting and lamp power. In addition, BenQ provides a host of other picture enhancements as part of their 'CinemaMaster' suite such color and flesh tone enhancers, 4K pixel enhancer and the motion smoother (MEMC/CFI) feature. There is only one function that is greyed out in the picture menu and that is the Wide Color feature. In Cinema and Vivid is I locked in the off position and in D Cinema and User it is locked in the On position.

As I mentioned, when you feed the HT3550 an HDR10 source it will automatically switch to it's HDR10 picture preset. Out of the box, the HDR10 picture mode is bright and punchy with a more natural image akin to the Cinema setting. There is more than enough output to compete with some ambient light. It should be mentioned here that in this default state, all wide color gamut content will be displayed as Rec. 709. There is only one HDR10 mode so you can't select from different presets like you can with SDR content although you can tailor just about every aspect of the picture as you can with the various SDR modes including the one that was not accessible before: Wide Color.

The Wide Color feature engages and disengages a color filer inside the projector. This filter allows the HT3550 to natively display the DCI-P3 expanded color gamut for richer, truer to life color. I'll get into the effects the filter has more in the Viewing Experience section but in my personal opinion this is a game changer at this price point. However, using the filter does make a significant impact on the HT3550's lumen output. Using a crude lux meter and some calculation it appears the filter costs around 30% of the HT3550's light output. For this reason, use of the filter is recommended only for dark room or theater use.

A quick note about the lamp power settings. There are three settings: Normal, Eco and SmartEco. SmartEco is BenQ's lamp dimming feature but it's important to mention here that turning SmartEco on will disable the Active Iris. You get the choice of lamp dimming or the action of the iris. I love that BenQ gives you a choice here but my guess is the vast majority of users will stick with the iris as it offers the greater benefit to picture quality.

5. Viewing Experience

4K/HDR

I started my viewing with the Kingsmen 2: The Golden Circle. This is a fun movie even it misses the mark set by the first film. The UHD Blu-ray is upconverted from a DCI 2K source and yet I wanted to start here for one reason: color. This is a vibrant and colorful movie that I thought should be a good test for the HT3550's DCI-P3 capabilities. Immediately I was struck with just how much better the HT3550 is able to render contrast and blacks than it's predecessor. Early in the film Eggsy confronts Merlin in the bombed out shell of the former Kingsman headquarters. Shadow detail here is excellent and the HT3550 is able to produce a black that actually looks black. Later in the film we're treated to a fly over of the jungle and a pull in on our villain, Julianne Moore's Poppy. Here the advantages of the increased color gamut become obvious. The green of the jungle is lush and much more realistic while the red paint of Poppy's diner gleans in a rich hue simply not possible in Rec 709.

Next I threw on Thor: Ragnarok. I'm going to be honest, at this point I was less interested in viewing serious reference material and more interested in just seeing all the pretty colors the HT3550 is capable of producing. Thor is far from a reference disc but I'm happy I threw it in because it cued me into one of the more massive improvements BenQ has made with this new model. There is a moment early in the film when Thor and Loki attempt to flee their sister Hela by summoning the Bifrost (if you haven't seen the movie the bifrost is a rainbow road in ancient Norse Mythology…anyways) and a fight ensues knocking Thor and Loki into space. While certainly beautiful thanks to the great contrast and color volume, my biggest takeaway was the HT3550's vastly improved motion performance. With all the debris and colors flying past in the background it’s hard for some displays to adequately translate the punching and kicking happening in the foreground. The last time I saw motion clarity like this I was reviewing the HT2050A. With the HT3550, BenQ has reclaimed one of DLPs biggest advantages over competing tech.

At this point it was time to get serious and so I decided to watch the massively underappreciated Bladerunner 2049. Both of the prior discs I watched were upconverted from a DCI 2K source but not this one. Filmed on ARRI Alexa cameras at 3.4K and displaying some of the finest cinematography and lighting in recent memory, this pristine UHD Blu-ray transfer is one of my all time favorite reference discs. My two favorite scenes to reference are the scene where K and Joi are flying over the wasteland in the driving rain and the moment when K and Decker have a drink. The former for the display's ability to render fine detail and the latter to check for proper tone mapping. The TH3550 aced both tests. In the first scene, you can see individual streaks of rain in the sky and water droplets on K's windshield are rendered in precise clarity. In the second, the oppressive orange glow of the irradiated skyline reflects on the actors faces without them appearing too dark while the deep red fabric of the barstools retain their color. This is a testament to BenQ's revised HDR PRO tone mapping. Throughout, contrast and black levels looked great. Even the black bars of the letterbox managed to remain black during scenes of high APL. I should mention here that I had still not seen any pumping artifacts or evidence of the iris in action besides the occasional distant crackle overhead to prove that the iris was indeed working. Really impressive performance here.

Next up was the UHD Blu-ray release of the Dark Crystal. One of my favorite films growing up the Dark Crystal has recently received a brand new digital 4K scan from the original film stock. A lot of people might challenge my assertion that this is reference material simply owing to the fact that this is not always the prettiest movie. In addition the noise present in the original 35mm comes through loud and clear in the transfer. But this is one of the reasons I love 4K. With the extra resolution 4K provides, film can actually look like film. Every detail of the Skeksis puppets, the complexity of Aughra's lab (and her nipples— I never realized she had nipples before— I wish I could go back to a time I didn’t know that) and the texture of Kira's cloak all come through in resounding clarity.

I finished my 4K/HDR testing with the amazing Planet Earth 2 and Blue Planet 2 UHD Blu-ray discs. And, yes, I re-watched all of the episodes. There's not much else I can say about this series that hasn't already been said. The HT3550 handled it with aplomb. I was paying special attention to scenes that had given the prior HT2550 trouble such as the flyover of the icebergs and the scene with the massive waves. These scenes caused the HT2550 to clip detail, washing out the snowy surfaces of the floating ice and obscuring details in the crests of the waves. But the HT3550 never lost track and BenQ's HDR PRO tone mapping proved itself again and again. About mid-way through the Blue Planet series I witnessed my first example of the BenQ struggling with black levels. There is a scene where a mini sub prowls the artic ocean floor with a singular bright spotlight shining in a sea of black. This is a very tough scene and here the HT3550's blacks appeared a bit hazy although they were far from the mushy grey it's predecessor displayed in this same scene.

HD

4K may be all the rage these days but let’s be honest: HD content is ubiquitous and many owners will likely spend just as much time watching 1080p as they will 4K. The HD Blu-ray copy of Oblivion is most certainly reference material and one of the few movies where the HD disc is superior to the UHD disc. Giving the HT3550's calibrated D Cinema mode a spin I can honestly say this is one of the finest experiences I've had watching this film. The HT3550 handles HD up conversion exceedingly well and at several points during the film I was gob smacked by just how much detail I was picking up in 'only' a 1080p release. Color looked spot on and viewed back to back with my THX plasma the HT3550's colors, especially green, appeared a bit more realistic. Contrast sparkled and the black levels were back to looking solidly black.

Next up I checked out the HD Blu-ray release of Avengers: Infinity War. And, yes, before you ask I do own this in UHD but, well, who cares? This offered another great chance to check out the HT3550's up conversion abilities and let's not all pretend that Avengers wasn't one of the most disappointing UHD releases last year (did you know this movie has IMAX scenes? Yeah you wouldn't if you bought the disc). It was here that I ran into the first and only real issue with the Ht3550's iris performance. During several scenes in the movie I would notice the iris seemingly over-reacting briefly resulting in split second of pumping back and forth. I say over reacting because there was really nothing for the iris to be doing during these scenes. They were bright scenes and largely static which is what made the iris' activity all the more unusual. This unfortunately wouldn't be the last time I saw the issue as it popped up again in my viewing of Punisher season 2 on Netflix. It was at this point that I decided to reach out to my contact at BenQ and he informed me that they were aware of it and had already developed a new firmware to tweak the algorithm that manages the iris. I’ll update this space when I receive the revised firmware.

6. Conclusion

What's Good

Razer sharp picture and motion clarity

Excellent color with both Rec. 709 and DCI-P3

Superb HDR tone mapping

Good contrast and solid black levels

Amazing value

What Could Be Better

Input lag

Fan noise in normal lamp mode

The BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector packs a dizzying amount of performance and value into a projector costing just $1499.

It's difficult for me to describe just how much I've enjoyed my time with the BenQ HT3550. If you've been on the fence about upgrading to 4K the HT3550 makes a very strong case-- It might just be the one you were waiting for. The HT3550 represents a comprehensive improvement over last years 4K lineup and offers a level of picture quality and refinement that was simply absent before. The inclusion of DCI-P3 color gives the HT3550 legit home cinema cred while it's solid contrast and impressive handling of HDR content makes this a benchmark in the segment. It earns my highest recommendation.
"The grill hides two 5 watt chamber speakers that do a surprisingly good job of filling a room with sound."

Any chance of using those speakers as rear Surrounds???
post #98 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamhgreen View Post
"The grill hides two 5 watt chamber speakers that do a surprisingly good job of filling a room with sound."

Any chance of using those speakers as rear Surrounds???

I probably wouldn’t recommend that and I can’t think of a way that you could actually accomplish it.

I’m impressed enough with the included sound that I felt it warranted a mention. But if at all possible you should absolutely buy an external sound system. The picture quality here deserves a dedicated sound system.

post #99 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Sage,
Not sure if you have seen the JVC or Sony's LCoS projector, how is the contrast? It might not be a fair comparison in terms of price, but I'm curious since I have an older JVC RS45 and a BenQ 2050 at this moment.
4K does not interest me, nor 3D, but for $1,500, like to know whether it's worth upgrading my BenQ (which is still noisy and has light leakage).
Thanks.
post #100 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Sage,

Not sure if you have seen the JVC or Sony's LCoS projector, how is the contrast? It might not be a fair comparison in terms of price, but I'm curious since I have an older JVC RS45 and a BenQ 2050 at this moment.

4K does not interest me, nor 3D, but for $1,500, like to know whether it's worth upgrading my BenQ (which is still noisy and has light leakage).

Thanks.

I have not seen the latest 4K native JVCs. I did, however, see one of last year’s Sony 4K native projectors but it was not in my home so I’m reluctant to comment on it.

Obviously, DLP can’t compete with LCOS in contrast/blacks. In isolation, as I’m sure you know with your HT2050, DLP can look really nice (especially for the price) and it has it’s own qualities that set it apart.

If you are talking about using the HT3550 as strictly an HD projector to replace your HT2050– I’m going to be posting a side by side comparison of the Ht3550 and HT2050A over the next week. I’m just waiting on the updated HT3550 to come back from BenQ. Some have been upset I haven’t done this already but, to be frank, I didn’t have time during my initial review period and I want to give this subject the attention it deserves with side by side comparison shots.

post #101 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
I have not seen the latest 4K native JVCs. I did, however, see one of last year’s Sony 4K native projectors but it was not in my home so I’m reluctant to comment on it.

Obviously, DLP can’t compete with LCOS in contrast/blacks. In isolation, as I’m sure you know with your HT2050, DLP can look really nice (especially for the price) and it has it’s own qualities that set it apart.

If you are talking about using the HT3550 as strictly an HD projector to replace your HT2050– I’m going to be posting a side by side comparison of the Ht3550 and HT2050A over the next week. I’m just waiting on the updated HT3550 to come back from BenQ. Some have been upset I haven’t done this already but, to be frank, I didn’t have time during my initial review period and I want to give this subject the attention it deserves with side by side comparison shots.
Thanks. Will look forward to that review. BTW, the JVC RS45 is about 6 years old. Other than brightness, it's sharper, quieter, no eye fatigue or light leakage but was 5x the price of the BenQ and 5x the weight. Both are made in China.
sage11x likes this.
post #102 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Thanks. Will look forward to that review. BTW, the JVC RS45 is about 6 years old. Other than brightness, it's sharper, quieter, no eye fatigue or light leakage but was 5x the price of the BenQ and 5x the weight. Both are made in China.
I own the RS45 as well. My last DLP was the Optoma H79, and the RS45 just blew me away. Though I could fit two plus H79's in the JVC. For me, this upgrade is purely for image size due to throw distance limitations. I've never had a bad movie night with the JVC. Maybe I'll let you be the Guinea pig and wait for a comparison.

sage11x likes this.
post #103 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Ive been searching this thread trying to find some infor about rainbows on the 3660 but cant find anything, it must display them Im sure?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #104 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any horizontal correction available on this projector, please? I have a 100" Stewart screen in a fixed position and, for structural reasons, cannot place the projector exactly in the middle of the opposite wall - it's built into a cupboard. Is there any way to shift the horizontal position? (I may have missed it, but I don't see this mentioned in this thread.)
post #105 of 507 Old 03-04-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAtherton View Post
Is there any horizontal correction available on this projector, please? I have a 100" Stewart screen in a fixed position and, for structural reasons, cannot place the projector exactly in the middle of the opposite wall - it's built into a cupboard. Is there any way to shift the horizontal position? (I may have missed it, but I don't see this mentioned in this thread.)
Just vertical. With the short throw, why don't you mount it in front of the cupboard?

post #106 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAtherton View Post

The big brother HT5550 (ETA estimated to be end of April / early May) will feature the horizontal lens shift you are looking for, but it will be more expensive (though supposedly feature several improvements over the HT3550).

We still need to get specs to evaluate how far that horizontal lens shift will go (for measurements of the projector's casing please go to the HT5550 thread).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 03-05-2019 at 04:29 AM.
post #107 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Ive been searching this thread trying to find some infor about rainbows on the 3660 but cant find anything, it must display them Im sure?

RGBRGB color wheel. Rainbows aren’t an issue.

post #108 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The BenQ HT3550 seems to hit the mark for me except for one possible issue. Apparently it has a modest +- 5% vertical lens shift. Will this work for my setup?

I currently have a ceiling mounted Epson 8700UB on a 93" high ceiling. The center of the lens is about 9" below the ceiling. My screen is 135" diagonal with a 4" velvet border that is flush with the ceiling. The screen is about 12.5 feet from the projector lens. The Epson's vertical lens shift is a generous +-96% so I had no problem lowering the image to the top border of my screen.

Will the BenQ HT3550 work as a ceiling mounted projector for my above dimensions?

Thanks,

Robert
post #109 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmyers View Post
The BenQ HT3550 seems to hit the mark for me except for one possible issue. Apparently it has a modest +- 5% vertical lens shift. Will this work for my setup?

I currently have a ceiling mounted Epson 8700UB on a 93" high ceiling. The center of the lens is about 9" below the ceiling. My screen is 135" diagonal with a 4" velvet border that is flush with the ceiling. The screen is about 12.5 feet from the projector lens. The Epson's vertical lens shift is a generous +-96% so I had no problem lowering the image to the top border of my screen.

Will the BenQ HT3550 work as a ceiling mounted projector for my above dimensions?

Thanks,

Robert
This will tell you.

https://projectorcalculator.benq.com/

Rec Room: JVC x790 w/120" Silver Ticket screen, Denon x4400H 5.1.4 with Kef Q100 L/R, Q200 centre, T101 surrounds, Ci160er rear atmos, Energy Rc-Mini - front atmos, SVS PC-2000. Family Room: LG 65B7P OLED, Denon s730H 5.1 - Kef Q500, Q200c, Energy v-mini - surrounds. Calibration Gear: X-Rite i1Display Pro, Calman Home Enthusiast, trial & error, and a patient wife.
post #110 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
RGBRGB color wheel. Rainbows aren’t an issue.
This I find very odd as all DLPs produce rainbows unless 3 chip DLP. Im very very sensitive to rainbows and Im sure I will see them Im sad to say. I would love to have a backup projector to my NX9 and a DLP would be my 1st choice, but the old dreaded rainbows hold me back. Projector Centrals review states if you suffer from rainbows dont buy it unless the seller has a return policy.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #111 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This I find very odd as all DLPs produce rainbows unless 3 chip DLP. Im very very sensitive to rainbows and Im sure I will see them Im sad to say. I would love to have a backup projector to my NX9 and a DLP would be my 1st choice, but the old dreaded rainbows hold me back. Projector Centrals review states if you suffer from rainbows dont buy it unless the seller has a return policy.
It sounds like you answered your own question.

If you are "very sensitive" to RBE than I would suggest avoiding single chip DLP altogether. Yes, technically, all single chip DLPs can produce visible RBE due to their sequential color creation. However, it is very rare to see RBE on an RGBRGB model. That said, what was the last DLP you spent time with? Have you ever seen an RGBRGB DLP?

3DLP is all but extinct in the consumer projector world although you can still find many commercial and large venue models.

post #112 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It sounds like you answered your own question.

If you are "very sensitive" to RBE than I would suggest avoiding single chip DLP altogether. Yes, technically, all single chip DLPs can produce visible RBE due to their sequential color creation. However, it is very rare to see RBE on an RGBRGB model. That said, what was the last DLP you spent time with? Have you ever seen an RGBRGB DLP?

3DLP is all but extinct in the consumer projector world although you can still find many commercial and large venue models.
Yes I have seen RGBRGB DLP in the past as they have been out for some time. Optoma and BenQ I saw horrible rainbows on both, sorry I dont remember the models as soon as i saw the rainbows I walked away. Probably since the 3550 is still just RGBRGB DLP I will see rainbows in it as well unless there is something else different with it.

I only have to move my eyes to the side or move my head a fraction and those horrible rainbows are on the edges of everything

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #113 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Yes I have seen RGBRGB DLP in the past as they have been out for some time. Optoma and BenQ I saw horrible rainbows on both, sorry I dont remember the models as soon as i saw the rainbows I walked away. Probably since the 3550 is still just RGBRGB DLP I will see rainbows in it as well unless there is something else different with it.

I only have to move my eyes to the side or move my head a fraction and those horrible rainbows are on the edges of everything
I have a solution. Wear a neck brace when watching. It won't let you move your head.
sage11x and RapalloAV like this.

Jack
post #114 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You ARE sensitive! I’d still be curious what models you looked at though. Besides their 4K lineup, I don’t know of any Optoma RGBRGB projectors.

Sorry my friend, assuming you’ve seen a modern RGBRGB and still experienced RBE, I’m going to go back to my initial advice and recommend you avoid DLP altogether.

If you don’t mind me asking: you said you wanted a backup to you JVC NX series projector? Why do you need a backup?

post #115 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You ARE sensitive! I’d still be curious what models you looked at though. Besides their 4K lineup, I don’t know of any Optoma RGBRGB projectors.

Sorry my friend, assuming you’ve seen a modern RGBRGB and still experienced RBE, I’m going to go back to my initial advice and recommend you avoid DLP altogether.

If you don’t mind me asking: you said you wanted a backup to you JVC NX series projector? Why do you need a backup?
I run a film club and usually update my projector when a new model comes out, currently I have the new JVC NX9. When I sell I need a backup projector which might see me through any delays with a new model, I thought this might be ok but I see its still not available in NZ.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #116 of 507 Old 03-05-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I have a solution. Wear a neck brace when watching. It won't let you move your head.
Yes some who are sensitive with RBE certainly need a neck brace! Have no owners of the 3550 here never seen a rainbow when using it?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #117 of 507 Old 03-06-2019, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Yes some who are sensitive with RBE certainly need a neck brace! Have no owners of the 3550 here never seen a rainbow when using it?
Most RBE cause by not even RGB brightness output. If you could calibrate your PJ, the RBE definitely rare to see.

By the way, I am eager to see a pro to do calibration on HT3550/ HT5550 so much. I maybe got the chance to calibrate HT5550 2 weeks later, will see.

Source: Sony UBP-X800/ PIONEER LX88/ Music server: HTPC i5 2300 Jriver
LCR:M&K MPS2510 SL/SR:M&K MPS1625 SBL/SBR:M&K SS200MKII
SUB:Rythmik FV15HP+DEQ2496/ HT Pre-pro:Lexicon MC12B EQ/ Anthem AVM60/ MRX510
Stereo preamp:Bremester 897+MBL 1511F DAC USB/ Power Amp: Proceed AMP5+ QSC DCA1824
Twin Projector:Optoma HD25, calibrated by i1pro2 / Screen: 16:9 135" fixed gain 1.1

Last edited by jimchao; 03-06-2019 at 01:42 AM.
post #118 of 507 Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
I run a film club and usually update my projector when a new model comes out, currently I have the new JVC NX9. When I sell I need a backup projector which might see me through any delays with a new model, I thought this might be ok but I see its still not available in NZ.
You could try epson's line, from the 2030 to TW 9400. Depends on how much you want to spend.
post #119 of 507 Old 03-06-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Currently there are no owners as this projector hasn't been released yet. You'd have to give it a while before you get owner reviews.
sage11x likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #120 of 507 Old 03-06-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Not sure about you folks, but following three threads on this PJ is getting a little overwhelming...hehehe. Scotty asked folks not to post questions on his Review, but the main thread. Maybe we should do the same going forward and leave the two review threads as that.....just the reviews, then discuss it on the master owners thread. I can't even remember which thread I'm on most the time.
home4sale2 likes this.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page