BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 263Likes

post #211 of 526 Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Thank you for doing this in depth comparison. It’s really helpful. The side by side shots were thoughtfully done especially. I know how hard it is to get a usable image that conveys the subjective observations you’re trying to illustrate.. This is all hugely informative. Thank you thank you thank you.
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 526 Old 03-15-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I honestly don't know if my eyes would be able to see a difference in sharpness between two PJs unless looking side by side. I think some things can be nitpicked to the point that it means nothing. Good is Good is Good. Meaning, I don't think most people looking for PJs in this price range are going to be able to discern small differences in sharpness, etc. Those that can would be more like yourself who review PJs and see many of them.

I will say this much. When we put on Incredibles 2 a couple weekend's ago, on the HT2050a, I thought it looked really good. I then put on my glasses that I don't care to wear except when I'm staring at spreadsheets all day at work, and the Image Quality was AMAZING!!! LOL. I upgraded my HT2050a by putting on my glasses.

In isolation, the Ht2050A is amazingly sharp. I started by watching several hours of content over several days back to back to back. I started to wonder if you really need 4K... And then I went back to the HT3550, watched The Martian, and the power of 4K melted my face.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion but in MY opinion 4K is an absolute game changer for projection. The best way I can describe it is this: have you ever upgraded your phone, then, several months later, you find your old phone in a drawer and power it on for nostalgia’s sake and you gasp at how chunky the resolution looks? That’s what 4K does to 1080p. I’m on record saying 1080p was plenty— and then I had to eat that crow. Even HD content looks better in 4K thanks to the extra pixel density and complete lack of discernible pixel grid.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #213 of 526 Old 03-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
In isolation, the Ht2050A is amazingly sharp. I started by watching several hours of content over several days back to back to back. I started to wonder if you really need 4K... And then I went back to the HT3550, watched The Martian, and the power of 4K melted my face.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion but in MY opinion 4K is an absolute game changer for projection. The best way I can describe it is this: have you ever upgraded your phone, then, several months later, you find your old phone in a drawer and power it on for nostalgia’s sake and you gasp at how chunky the resolution looks? That’s what 4K does to 1080p. I’m on record saying 1080p was plenty— and then I had to eat that crow. Even HD content looks better in 4K thanks to the extra pixel density and complete lack of discernible pixel grid.
You're killing me man. Killing me.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 526 Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
@scottyroo and @sage11x - would either of you mind measuring the distance from the front of the lens to the front casing? Currently I'm running an A-lens with my W1070, whose lens is 1/2" recessed. I may consider going with the 3550, or even the 5550 (which would provide a much better TR for the A-lens), or possibly no lens at all.

Just trying to determiner myself if the A-lens is an option on the 3550 (not extremely recessed).

Thanks.
Using an A-lens with a 1080P projector makes a lot of sense. You can use the full brightness and get the full 2M pixels of resolution rather than 1.5M pixels of 2.4 content. Of course, those extra pixels are "invented" and not in the source.

On a 4k projector, using the zoom method gets you 6M pixels on screen. You still get the improved brightness, although some A-lenses eat a lot of lumens so it might not be as big a bump. Of course, zoom method requires enough zoom lens or mounting range, and the HT3550 falls just a tad short as well as lacking enough vertical lens shift to use a 2.4 screen.

So an A-lens that can be moved in and out of the light path still has some benefits, and it would be nice if the projector did the vertical stretch. Now that Oppo has stopped making disc players, and more and more content is via streaming, doing vertical stretch externally for 4k content is expensive.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #215 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Using an A-lens with a 1080P projector makes a lot of sense. You can use the full brightness and get the full 2M pixels of resolution rather than 1.5M pixels of 2.4 content. Of course, those extra pixels are "invented" and not in the source.

On a 4k projector, using the zoom method gets you 6M pixels on screen. You still get the improved brightness, although some A-lenses eat a lot of lumens so it might not be as big a bump. Of course, zoom method requires enough zoom lens or mounting range, and the HT3550 falls just a tad short as well as lacking enough vertical lens shift to use a 2.4 screen.

So an A-lens that can be moved in and out of the light path still has some benefits, and it would be nice if the projector did the vertical stretch. Now that Oppo has stopped making disc players, and more and more content is via streaming, doing vertical stretch externally for 4k content is expensive.
I'm looking at the HT5550 as a possible upgrade too. Hoping the HT5550 lens shift feature would provide a possible solution for using the zoom method alternative. Though I'm not keen on having to manually change zoom/focus/shift whenever needed - I'd seriously consider doing it to maintain 4K scope projection in my theater.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #216 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The HT2050A is an amazing projector. My point of posting these shots is to show that this HT3550 4K is not a downgrade.

We’re just talking contrast / blacks here. Resolution adds a whole other wrinkle I’ll get into. On HD when you try and match them up in lumens the two are very close. It probably doesn’t come through in these shots but the HT2050A is a ludicrously bright projector. It’s RGBRGB so you think it’s not going to be that bright but I’ve seen 3000 lumen projectors that are dimmer than this in their usable modes. In fact, in a couple of those shots of Bladerunner 2049 I feel the HT2050A looks a hair better (not considering resolution)— the older chip’s higher native contrast on display.

But if you have a light controlled bat cave, oh man, the calibrated mode on the HT3550 is a treat. This is almost unfair to the HT2050A as it has no equivalent mode. A better comparison would have been with the HT3050 which has the ability to scrub a few more lumens. Again, you’re not going to run these modes in a living room against ambient light and you certainly aren’t going to use these with a monster screen. These shots look a bit over exposed as the HT2050A is so much brighter.

Speaking of unfair, it’s unfair to ask a sub $700 projector to display 4K HDR with expanded color gamut. The HT3550 is over twice the price, after all. But I want to challenge this idea that UHD is no big deal. That P3 is no big deal. UHD is a massive upgrade and if you have the money it’s worth it to make the jump.
Hi Sage,

How much brighter is the 2050A in eco mode with BC off in comparison with the 3550 in DCI-P3? I'm currently running the W1070 at 8.5 feet away for a 100" image on a spandex screen (I think gain is estimated at 0.7/0.8). I'm just curious whether this mode will be usable for me. I think the 2050A might be a bit brighter than the W1070 (2200 vs 2000 lumens). I can run my W1070 in eco mode with BC off and still have good brightness.
post #217 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
@scottyroo and @sage11x - would either of you mind measuring the distance from the front of the lens to the front casing? Currently I'm running an A-lens with my W1070, whose lens is 1/2" recessed. I may consider going with the 3550, or even the 5550 (which would provide a much better TR for the A-lens), or possibly no lens at all.

Just trying to determiner myself if the A-lens is an option on the 3550 (not extremely recessed).

Thanks.
I'll check on this as soon as I get home today.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #218 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
Hi Sage,

How much brighter is the 2050A in eco mode with BC off in comparison with the 3550 in DCI-P3? I'm currently running the W1070 at 8.5 feet away for a 100" image on a spandex screen (I think gain is estimated at 0.7/0.8). I'm just curious whether this mode will be usable for me. I think the 2050A might be a bit brighter than the W1070 (2200 vs 2000 lumens). I can run my W1070 in eco mode with BC off and still have good brightness.
The HT2050A is brighter than the W1070. In those shots above the HT2050A was running 'full tilt' in Cinema with Brilliant Color ON and the lamp in SmartEco. That mode affords the highest possible contrast for the HT2050A (I was trying to reflect it in it's best light... puns).

Your screen should be fine but with a low gain you'll need to run the bulb in Normal to get a useable lumens from the D Cinema/HDR wide mode. Normal modes are fine. I higher gain screen would help especially if you want to go up in size.

post #219 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was reviewing some earlier posts regarding grain when the Sony UBP X700 down converted 4k to 1080p. Is it possible to let the player do 4k pass thru to the Benq HT 3550 with possible better down conversion results? I find the up conversion of 480i, 408p and 1080i performed in my W5000 to be better than my AV processor and do pass thru to the projector.
post #220 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Don't know if it's been posted yet or not but Projector Reviews seems about as smitten with the HT3550 as Sage11X.

BENQ HT3550 HOME THEATER PROJECTOR – A FIRST LOOK REVIEW

Full review to come later after calibration. The BenQ website specifies that this projector is calibrated out of the box?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #221 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
I was reviewing some earlier posts regarding grain when the Sony UBP X700 down converted 4k to 1080p. Is it possible to let the player do 4k pass thru to the Benq HT 3550 with possible better down conversion results? I find the up conversion of 480i, 408p and 1080i performed in my W5000 to be better than my AV processor and do pass thru to the projector.

The HT3550 is a 4K projector and unlike many competing pixel shifters can display 4K in a pixel perfect 1:1 without the need to interpolate. So no down conversion is necessary.

post #222 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Don't know if it's been posted yet or not but Projector Reviews seems about as smitten with the HT3550 as Sage11X.

BENQ HT3550 HOME THEATER PROJECTOR – A FIRST LOOK REVIEW

Full review to come later after calibration. The BenQ website specifies that this projector is calibrated out of the box?

Yeah, overall very positive.
I was a little surprised as he is the the second to complain about colors being over saturated. The first being Majestic. Either this is unit to unit variation or I’m not seeing what they are seeing. And I’m the one who calls out reviewers like Art for using Ghostbusters 2016 as reference material. Feelings about the movie aside that film has some of the ugliest color I’ve ever seen— it looks like the color grader just pegged the saturation dial at 11 and figured their job was done.

Yes the retail unit will be calibrated from the factory and each unit ships with a calibration report. The report is pretty simplistic but it’s better than a stick in the eye. It should be mentioned that the calibrated modes are the D Cinema and HDR/wide modes which both enable the filter.

post #223 of 526 Old 03-16-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I made an error in my post about the comparison between the Sony X700 and Benq HT3550. I meant to say is there a difference in upscaling a 480i,p, 1080i,p source to 4k between the X700/other similar player and the HT3550? In my experience my projector did better at upscaling and would want to think the HT3550 would be the same. Thanks.
post #224 of 526 Old 03-17-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm interested in this looks pretty good for the money.
post #225 of 526 Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4896
Little over view from Hdtvtest
post #226 of 526 Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Does this projector upscale all content to 4k?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #227 of 526 Old 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
Does this projector upscale all content to 4k?

All content but 3D.
bori likes this.

post #228 of 526 Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All content but 3D.
I have the W1070 projecting on a 125 inch screen. Would a make a huge difference the step up to 4k?

Jordon777 likes this.
post #229 of 526 Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Being sold now on Bestbuy , https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

shows sold out.
I feel like canceling my order on amazon.
because 1 more projectors should be coming out this year it can be in a month or 5 months,
and 2 because its 1640$ or so with tax and everything & i'm sure that in another 2-3 months it will probably go on sale just like every other benq projectors.
even if it drops 200$ then i think its worth it.

ill see which one to go with uhd60 or ht3550 .-_- i'll keep using my 27" monitor .
post #230 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Man, I was so ready to pull the trigger on this as I have a 2050 and have been anxiously awaiting a good 4K upgrade. However, the input lag has me worried as I game.

What are the odds we'll see a 4K version of this with better input lag in the near future?
post #231 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
Being sold now on Bestbuy , https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

shows sold out.
because 1 more projectors should be coming out this year it can be in a month or 5 months,
and 2 because its 1640$ or so with tax and everything & i'm sure that in another 2-3 months it will probably go on sale just like every other benq projectors.

ill see which one to go with uhd60 or ht3550 .-_- i'll keep using my 27" monitor .
Yeah I'd definitely wait. Factory refurb'd with coupon from the Benq store in like 6-8 months will probably be $1000 or so. I dont get why people rush out and spend MSRP on electronics like tvs/projectors. These things drop so quick in price. It's like people complaining the cheapest 65" OLED is still going to be $3500+ MSRP this year, meanwhile the exact model from last year can be had under $2000 easily...
post #232 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the W1070 projecting on a 125 inch screen. Would a make a huge difference the step up to 4k?

Depends on seating distance but I would offer a resounding: YES.

My screen is 100” and I sit around 8/9 ft away and the difference is massive to my eye. But then, we’re all a little different here.

post #233 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post

shows sold out.

UHD60 for super large screens or rooms with lots of ambient light. HT3550 for better color, no/less RBE, 3D and dark rooms with the occasional ambient light situation.

post #234 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Depends on seating distance but I would offer a resounding: YES.

My screen is 100” and I sit around 8/9 ft away and the difference is massive to my eye. But then, we’re all a little different here.
I have 125 inch and sit 11 feet away.

post #235 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Well I just pulled the trigger on the 2050a so I can at least fill up the 120" screen I'll put together tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll sit back and keep reading until the 3550 becomes a refurb or gets close to a grand. Paid $460 the 2050a. BenQ dropped their refurb to 469 for about 30 minutes. Went to check out, and they bumped it up 509. Quick phone call to them and he said he could drop it to 460 even. Said sold!

And to be on topic I asked him about the 3550 issues. He was saying that at their faculty they could only calibrate them to about 85% of the spec. They would have to go back to the factory to get the full calibration spec.

post #236 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusphan View Post
Man, I was so ready to pull the trigger on this as I have a 2050 and have been anxiously awaiting a good 4K upgrade. However, the input lag has me worried as I game.

What are the odds we'll see a 4K version of this with better input lag in the near future?

I’ve learned not to make blanket statements about lag. What is laggy to one person is just fine for another.

If you’re asking me personally? I won’t be using the HT3550 for gaming. But that’s me. I’m sensitive to lag and my reflexes aren’t getting any better so I need all the help I can get. but that’s A-OK with me as the HT3550 is a phenomenal projector for movies and that’s what I want it to do.

post #237 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have 125 inch and sit 11 feet away.

Yeah— 4K should offer a significant impact at that range.

post #238 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great review, thanks!

I have a BenQ W2000+ that’s superb in Rec709 1080p quality, arguably the betst in its price range.

Will it worth to upgrade to this one? I do have an Xbox One X, but only a handful of 4K Blu-ray’s, and about 200 HD Blu-ray’s. So most of what I will watch will still be in HD. Is the HD quality of this projector as good as the W2000+? which is factory calibrated to 100% Rec709 and has its own picture mode.
post #239 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Well I just pulled the trigger on the 2050a so I can at least fill up the 120" screen I'll put together tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll sit back and keep reading until the 3550 becomes a refurb or gets close to a grand. Paid $460 the 2050a. BenQ dropped their refurb to 469 for about 30 minutes. Went to check out, and they bumped it up 509. Quick phone call to them and he said he could drop it to 460 even. Said sold!

And to be on topic I asked him about the 3550 issues. He was saying that at their faculty they could only calibrate them to about 85% of the spec. They would have to go back to the factory to get the full calibration spec.

You will love the HT2050a. It's a great machine, regardless of the price. I've decided to keep mine and move on from the initial HT3550 excitement I had. After reading all the reviews, and figuring that I'd not use the WCG due to the filter cutting the brightness by 30% or more, and given reviewers saying it takes a bit for your eyes to get used to the filter, I'm just not ready for that yet. Maybe I'll think differently in a year or two, but I think I'll just enjoy my 2050a now. I'm going to continue reading these threads to see how things progress and possible firmware updates in the future to see what happens. I'm gong to put some money into better speakers than I have now that will carry over to a 4K PJ when I do decide to make the move.
post #240 of 526 Old 03-20-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 4896
Until my ht3550 gets here(and believe me I'm being patient) I'm definitely enjoying having my 2050 in my bedroom with the 100" screen lol
Can't believe I've owned it for two years and still have under 300 hours on it
Once Benq gets all these issues squared away I'm sure the ht3550 will be a huge success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page