BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 252Likes

post #241 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
You will love the HT2050a. It's a great machine, regardless of the price. I've decided to keep mine and move on from the initial HT3550 excitement I had. After reading all the reviews, and figuring that I'd not use the WCG due to the filter cutting the brightness by 30% or more, and given reviewers saying it takes a bit for your eyes to get used to the filter, I'm just not ready for that yet. Maybe I'll think differently in a year or two, but I think I'll just enjoy my 2050a now. I'm going to continue reading these threads to see how things progress and possible firmware updates in the future to see what happens. I'm gong to put some money into better speakers than I have now that will carry over to a 4K PJ when I do decide to make the move.
Thanks. And too funny. I upgraded my old but very worth M&K's early in the winter to Monitor Audio Silver and Gold. That gave me the push to want a larger screen. Just hope I appreciate the greater immersion enough to lose out on some of the contrast and pop I have with the JVC. I might even do some painting and darken up the walls and ceiling. Stick with the same color scheme on the walls, just darker shades. Maybe contemplate a black ceiling. Not like I'll ever use the room for anything else, and if so, it's just another paint job away.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Well I just pulled the trigger on the 2050a so I can at least fill up the 120" screen I'll put together tonight or tomorrow. Then I'll sit back and keep reading until the 3550 becomes a refurb or gets close to a grand. Paid $460 the 2050a. BenQ dropped their refurb to 469 for about 30 minutes. Went to check out, and they bumped it up 509. Quick phone call to them and he said he could drop it to 460 even. Said sold!

And to be on topic I asked him about the 3550 issues. He was saying that at their faculty they could only calibrate them to about 85% of the spec. They would have to go back to the factory to get the full calibration spec.

That’s a ridiculous price for that projector. I bought an HT2050 (the 2050A’s predecessor) a couple of years back for $800 and I’ve never regretted that purchase.

To quote one of my favorite YouTubers: The only thing I love better than good is good and cheap. The 2050A is one of those rare products that really has no faults. Everything it does it does well and everything it doesn’t do can be excused by the price.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #243 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablovi View Post
Great review, thanks!

I have a BenQ W2000+ that’s superb in Rec709 1080p quality, arguably the betst in its price range.

Will it worth to upgrade to this one? I do have an Xbox One X, but only a handful of 4K Blu-ray’s, and about 200 HD Blu-ray’s. So most of what I will watch will still be in HD. Is the HD quality of this projector as good as the W2000+? which is factory calibrated to 100% Rec709 and has its own picture mode.

The 2000+ has the highest native contrast of any BenQ that uses that platform. I haven’t had a chance to test that one out as it isn’t sold here in the states.

Between the HT2050A/HT3050 and this HT3550 I prefer the HT3550 for movies both 4K and HD. 4K makes a difference even for HD. Not everyone will be in agreement with me here but once you’ve seen 4K it’s very hard to go back to 1080p.
pablovi and Spaded21 like this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
That’s a ridiculous price for that projector. I bought an HT2050 (the 2050A’s predecessor) a couple of years back for $800 and I’ve never regretted that purchase.

To quote one of my favorite YouTubers: The only thing I love better than good is good and cheap. The 2050A is one of those rare products that really has no faults. Everything it does it does well and everything it doesn’t do can be excused by the price.
I am a deal person by nature. They dropped it to 465 direct and on ebay. Was pulling the trigger on the bay with 8% back in ebay bucks and they raised the price to $509. So I called BenQ to complain, and the guy said he could do it for 460 even. Wasn't going to turn that down. Though $37 in ebay bucks would have been nicer.

Have read enough good things about it (from you too even) and hitting above its class a bit. I'm sure the first time I pop on Interstellar or Apollo 12 on a 20" larger screen, I'll be plenty satisfied.

I have the chief mount for my JVC. Was just going to get their universal mount, slide off the JVC and slide on the 2050a. Throw distance should be the same or similar enough I can just adjust the zoom, but I'll have to shift it over to center the lens. Could always unscrew the base and just shift it one set of screws holes over.

post #245 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
it’s very hard to go back to 1080p.
Even if you stick with 1080p content on a 4k projector (pixel shifted or native) but upscaled, would be a big improvement. Going by the comparison image on page 57 from BrandonH.

That's as close to a physical film based projection I've ever seen. No pixels.
post #246 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You will love the HT2050a. It's a great machine, regardless of the price. I've decided to keep mine and move on from the initial HT3550 excitement I had. After reading all the reviews, and figuring that I'd not use the WCG due to the filter cutting the brightness by 30% or more, and given reviewers saying it takes a bit for your eyes to get used to the filter, I'm just not ready for that yet. Maybe I'll think differently in a year or two, but I think I'll just enjoy my 2050a now. I'm going to continue reading these threads to see how things progress and possible firmware updates in the future to see what happens. I'm gong to put some money into better speakers than I have now that will carry over to a 4K PJ when I do decide to make the move.

Nothing wrong with staying with something you’re happy with.

I seem to be alone here but the calibrated modes are my favorite part of the HT3550. This is where the projector offers it’s best color and contrast. Given: these modes are intended for a dark, light controlled room. But if you don’t have that you can still enjoy the Ht3550 outside it’s calibrated modes as it is a very bright display.

So many DLPs are compromised towards offering a bright image. Few 1080p DLPs even offer an RGBRGB colorwheel anymore. I guess the thought is: if you can’t afford a top dollar projector you probably don’t have a decent space to project in. For the two years I ran my HT2050 in our condo I never took it out of Eco. Sure, SmartEco offered greater contrast but it was too damn bright! Lol! It was only after moving into our apartment that I even started experimenting with SmartEco.

If you have a nice space and a ‘smaller’ screen you’re going to appreciate the calibrated modes. And just think: you could spend thousands more on a JVC with similar lumen output and that’s a selling feature!

I guess what I’m trying to say is I wouldn’t look at the fact that the Ht3550 offers MORE ways to use it as a negative. Take the calibrated modes away and what do you get? Still the best 4K DLP at $1500. Just my opinion. My excitement is still high but I get that that is because I actually get to SEE it whereas everyone else is just reading my review. At it’s price: this is the best 4K projector on the market. If you can budget a little more... I saw Epson dropped the 4010 to $1800 over the weekend and that’s a compelling price. I’d have a tough time deciding between the two myself as the Epson has a lot of things I don’t like about it (it’s not as sharp, motion is not as crisp and the fact you have to manually select HDR is dumb) but it’s in the conversation as those are two of the best deals going on 4K below 2 grand.

Every year when new product launches we go through the same cycle. At this point we seem to be entering the trough of the gartner cycle— or at least that’s my guess based on my perusing of the other thread.
DavidK442 and Spaded21 like this.

post #247 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post
Even if you stick with 1080p content on a 4k projector (pixel shifted or native) but upscaled, would be a big improvement. Going by the comparison image on page 57 from BrandonH.

That's as close to a physical film based projection I've ever seen. No pixels.

This is why I love 4K and why I’m so excited about the HT3550. When I watch Mission Impossible 6, which was filmed on 35mm, the film grain just looks like grain. Not noise as Hd displays so often render film as. We talk a lot about how sharp 4K is but we rarely discuss what that extra clarity gets you. I attempted to do that in my review but maybe I missed the mark.
magnification likes this.

post #248 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
No screen door is definitely one of the best things about the HT3550 coming from the HT1075. You can sit just about as close to the screen as comfortable and it will still look good. I was very surprised when I took that picture just how much of a difference the pixel shifting made as I was a bit skeptical before I got it whether pixel shifting was "real" 4k. I have very good vision as I had Lasik done a few years ago and I probably still see better than 20/20 and no longer having to worry about seeing the screen door effect makes wish I had a 135" screen instead of a 120" screen.
magnification and sage11x like this.
post #249 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I seem to be alone here but the calibrated modes are my favorite part of the HT3550. This is where the projector offers it’s best color and contrast. Given: these modes are intended for a dark, light controlled room. But if you don’t have that you can still enjoy the Ht3550 outside it’s calibrated modes as it is a very bright display.

So many DLPs are compromised towards offering a bright image. Few 1080p DLPs even offer an RGBRGB colorwheel anymore. I guess the thought is: if you can’t afford a top dollar projector you probably don’t have a decent space to project in. For the two years I ran my HT2050 in our condo I never took it out of Eco. Sure, SmartEco offered greater contrast but it was too damn bright! Lol! It was only after moving into our apartment that I even started experimenting with SmartEco.

If you have a nice space and a ‘smaller’ screen you’re going to appreciate the calibrated modes. And just think: you could spend thousands more on a JVC with similar lumen output and that’s a selling feature!

I guess what I’m trying to say is I wouldn’t look at the fact that the Ht3550 offers MORE ways to use it as a negative. Take the calibrated modes away and what do you get? Still the best 4K DLP at $1500. Just my opinion. My excitement is still high but I get that that is because I actually get to SEE it whereas everyone else is just reading my review. At it’s price: this is the best 4K projector on the market. If you can budget a little more... I saw Epson dropped the 4010 to $1800 over the weekend and that’s a compelling price. I’d have a tough time deciding between the two myself as the Epson has a lot of things I don’t like about it (it’s not as sharp, motion is not as crisp and the fact you have to manually select HDR is dumb) but it’s in the conversation as those are two of the best deals going on 4K below 2 grand.

Every year when new product launches we go through the same cycle. At this point we seem to be entering the trough of the gartner cycle— or at least that’s my guess based on my perusing of the other thread.
Had I not just purchased the HT2050a 8-9 months ago for $750, getting the 3550 would be a NO BRAINER for me. I wanted a 4K to begin with, but there were none with the Throw that I needed. The HT3550 is the first one. But again, I have the extra factor just purchasing the HT2050a to think about, and liking it.

My wife was talking again about a better PJ for outdoor movies. Late last summer, we used my old Panasonic which is NOT bright. I had to put the lamp on Normal and bump the brightness all the way up. Given that the HT2050a is cheaper now, I doubt I could buy a PJ for outdoor movies much cheaper than the HT2050a. So, still a possibility that I take down the HT2050a and use for outdoor while using the HT3550 in the Theater. Either way, I feel I have time now and don't need to rush it. I'm going to wait for the dust to settle a bit and hear how things are going from actual users once Production Models ship.
sage11x likes this.

Tony
post #250 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Thankfully my throw distance takes the Epson's and JVC's out of the picture going forward. I'm content with 1080 for now. As good as the 3550 seems, I'd like to sit back and see how the competition responds, as well as see if anyone else will make a good 4k with a shorter throw than the standard jvc, Epson, Sony distances. Would be nice to see more options with a sub 11' throw for 120".

Can't deny the improved pic for 1080 and the disappearing pixel structure. If I didn't have a first floor to finish renovating, I could justify the early upgrade. Assuming I could get $600+ for my RS45.

post #251 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm really torn on this projector. I'd like to upgrade my W1070 but really want something with better contrast and deeper blacks. Problem is I need to be able to throw a 100" image from 8 1/2 feet and can only do that with BenQ models. Really wish I could try this out before deciding if the upgrade is worth it. I think I'd rather have the better contrast over the resolution increase so I'd even be willing to swap to another 1080p model. I still only have 700ish hours on my W1070 so I might a year and see what next year's models offer or if this comes down enough in price.
post #252 of 507 Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The 2000+ has the highest native contrast of any BenQ that uses that platform. I haven’t had a chance to test that one out as it isn’t sold here in the states.

Between the HT2050A/HT3050 and this HT3550 I prefer the HT3550 for movies both 4K and HD. 4K makes a difference even for HD. Not everyone will be in agreement with me here but once you’ve seen 4K it’s very hard to go back to 1080p.
Thanks! Yeah, my PJ has a great image quality in 1080p and 709. And I’m a little worried that this new projector is not going to be as good in HD. I do have a handful of 4K Blu-ray’s, and an Xbox One X. But I think I’m gonna keep my projector for a little longer, I’ve only had it for about a year, and the lamp has about 1,500 hours of use, maybe when I get to 2,500 and have to change the lamp, I’ll get the best 4K option in that price range.

Thanks again!
post #253 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 143
All this talk about the HT2050a has got me thinking. I have a W1070 and if I wait for the HT3550 until the price drops. Is the HT2050a a better projector than the W1070? Will I notice any difference?
post #254 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post
All this talk about the HT2050a has got me thinking. I have a W1070 and if I wait for the HT3550 until the price drops. Is the HT2050a a better projector than the W1070? Will I notice any difference?

You should talk to @dreamer . He felt the HT2050A represented a significant upgrade over the older model.
bori likes this.

post #255 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
I'm really torn on this projector. I'd like to upgrade my W1070 but really want something with better contrast and deeper blacks. Problem is I need to be able to throw a 100" image from 8 1/2 feet and can only do that with BenQ models. Really wish I could try this out before deciding if the upgrade is worth it. I think I'd rather have the better contrast over the resolution increase so I'd even be willing to swap to another 1080p model. I still only have 700ish hours on my W1070 so I might a year and see what next year's models offer or if this comes down enough in price.

The HT3550 will have better dynamic contrast, better blacks, and better perceived contrast in HDR. The only thing it doesn’t beat the HT2050A on is native contrast. If you look earlier in the thread you’ll see I posted pictures to illustrate the differences here.

In the right scenes, typically scenes with a bright element in the background but lots of shadows in the foreground, the HT2050A can look marginally better. I say marginally because what my eye told me is the HT3550 has better contrast. But once I got them setup next to one another and sharing a scene I could see that the HT2050A edged ahead. It was not a dramatic difference by there was a difference.

The rest of the time the Ht3550 just looks better. Even with Hd which, in theory, shouldn’t offer that much of a difference but it does. The Ht3550 makes HD look better than HD— something I couldn’t say about it’s predecessor. The improved resolution and pixel fill is a huge factor here but so to is the Ht3550’s color.

post #256 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The HT3550 will have better dynamic contrast, better blacks, and better perceived contrast in HDR. The only thing it doesn’t beat the HT2050A on is native contrast. If you look earlier in the thread you’ll see I posted pictures to illustrate the differences here.

In the right scenes, typically scenes with a bright element in the background but lots of shadows in the foreground, the HT2050A can look marginally better. I say marginally because what my eye told me is the HT3550 has better contrast. But once I got them setup next to one another and sharing a scene I could see that the HT2050A edged ahead. It was not a dramatic difference by there was a difference.

The rest of the time the Ht3550 just looks better. Even with Hd which, in theory, shouldn’t offer that much of a difference but it does. The Ht3550 makes HD look better than HD— something I couldn’t say about it’s predecessor. The improved resolution and pixel fill is a huge factor here but so to is the Ht3550’s color.
Thanks Sage! I read your posts and I'm more tempted to go with the HT3550 but then I see other threads on here with users referring to the contrast/blacks on DLPs as "abysmal" which really makes me wonder what I'm missing out on.

Do you know if there was much of a change in contrast between the W1070 and HT2050? I think the consensus was the HT2050 was marginally but not substantially better but I have read differing opinions. Edit: I saw you just answered this above so disregard.
post #257 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
The dynamic contrast of the HT3550 should be superior to the W1070 using the DI and about the same using Smarteco:

Quote:
The system works well overall and improves the black level significantly, but occasionally caused subtle jumps in brightness in our test scenes. The factor is moderate to avoid over-pumping: The native contrast of the W2700 from 1100: 1 to 1600: 1 (depending on the zoom) is increased to 4000: 1 to 6200: 1 . As an alternative to the dynamic aperture, an adaptive lamp mode can also be used. This works invisibly, but only increases the dynamic range to 2500: 1 to 3800: 1 . A combination of both systems is not possible. (google translation)

http://cine4home.de/test-benq-w2700-...g-kommt-es-an/
post #258 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Thanks Sage! I read your posts and I'm more tempted to go with the HT3550 but then I see other threads on here with users referring to the contrast/blacks on DLPs as "abysmal" which really makes me wonder what I'm missing out on.

Do you know if there was much of a change in contrast between the W1070 and HT2050? I think the consensus was the HT2050 was marginally but not substantially better but I have read differing opinions. Edit: I saw you just answered this above so disregard.
I see such statements all the time. I wouldn’t say any modern projector that isn’t a toy projector has anything at all “abysmal” about its PQ. That words meaning is extremely bad; appalling.

Take what you read here with a grain of salt. My first projector was a DLP over 15 years ago with XGA resolution and even by today’s standards I don’t see anything abysmal about it.

You have a W1070 as a point of reference and I or almost no one here has seen this HT3550 yet. I’m pretty sure it is going to be some degrees better than your W1070 it has to be right and your W1070 given a proper environment can look stunning. I have a Viewsonic Pro 7827 HD that I feel I have optimized its environment to around 90% of perfection. I feel my PQ on a 110” image is outstanding. It cant go head to head with a $10k projector in a 100% perfect room, but I would bet money I could best any $10k projector in a 50% perfect room.

If you have a lot of desire for improved PQ over what your W1070 is giving you today I would see what other factors (screen, room) are playing a part.

All these statements and personal reviews are open to interpretation until we really know all the other unknowns. I think expecting any projector alone to improve PQ is asking a lot.
sage11x likes this.

Bud
post #259 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It appears the remote has two different buttons for power, one for on and one for off. I have always mapped the on/off button to a single on/off button on my main remote so I do not have to keep this one out and about just to turn on the projector. I then use CEC to turn on my AVR.

Is it possible to only use the on button (for example) to turn the projector on and off?

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #260 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I see such statements all the time. I wouldn’t say any modern projector that isn’t a toy projector has anything at all “abysmal” about its PQ. That words meaning is extremely bad; appalling.

Take what you read here with a grain of salt. My first projector was a DLP over 15 years ago with XGA resolution and even by today’s standards I don’t see anything abysmal about it.

You have a W1070 as a point of reference and I or almost no one here has seen this HT3550 yet. I’m pretty sure it is going to be some degrees better than your W1070 it has to be right and your W1070 given a proper environment can look stunning. I have a Viewsonic Pro 7827 HD that I feel I have optimized its environment to around 90% of perfection. I feel my PQ on a 110” image is outstanding. It cant go head to head with a $10k projector in a 100% perfect room, but I would bet money I could best any $10k projector in a 50% perfect room.

If you have a lot of desire for improved PQ over what your W1070 is giving you today I would see what other factors (screen, room) are playing a part.

All these statements and personal reviews are open to interpretation until we really know all the other unknowns. I think expecting any projector alone to improve PQ is asking a lot.
I don't have a dedicated theater room so not a ton I can do but I do have black velvet surrounding the first few feet around the screen which helps a lot with the contrast. Recently tried experimenting with an ND filter to lower the black floor which helps a bit too. I used to have masking borders on the top and bottom of the screen which was great but I switched to an acoustically transparent screen so I can't use them anymore. The W1070 is also super bright - I think I measured 38 ftl at its brightest setting.
post #261 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you are coming from a JVC that costs over $4000-- then you may find the contrast/blacks objectionable. However, we need to be real about the price range these projectors sell for. In this range the contrast is good.
dbpaddler likes this.

post #262 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ HT3550 True 4K Home Cinema Projector Review

So Scott and I ( @scottyroo ) just attended the BenQ launch event in New York and I have some news concerning the HT3550.

At the event they had a production sample of the HT3550 up and running. This projector was using a new 1.01 firmware that has not yet been released. Most notably, the image was projecting onto a 120" screen in a room that was less than ideal and actually had a good degree of light filtering in from the floor above (glass floor/ceiling). You can see a shot of it in the photo below. Amazingly, this production unit was running in HDR WITH the wide color feature (DCI-P3) engaged. Our contact shared that they have tweaked the user upgrade able firmware to provide a brighter and more usable image while the filter is engaged. This was very apparent in near black and shadow detail. Until I can get a version of this firmware running on my sample I can't speak to what other impacts this revision has on the image.

For those that received early production units that were recalled due to inability to achieve BenQ's promised calibration results: BenQ informed us that after they investigated the issue they discovered that the fault was due to the lens. Apparently, their supplier shipped them a lens that did not meet spec. BenQ has corrected the issue with the supplier and has pulled all effected stock.

To this end I will say: the lens on the production demonstration unit looked sharper around the edges than my sample. In addition, the chromatic aberration that was prevalent on my sample appears to be significantly reduced on the production model.

Last but not least: the iris. I had mentioned in my review and subsequent follow up that the iris exhibited a strange behavior during certain content where it would seemingly 'over react' during bright scenes. This behavior was also observed by @BrandonH . The good news is, thanks to our feedback, BenQ is still working on the issue and they believe they can fix it with further tweaks to the iris' reaction speed. The bad news is, when a solution is implemented, the unit will need to be sent to BenQ for service. This is due to the iris being tied to the underlying TI chipset.

curtlots, BrandonH, yadfgp and 4 others like this.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-21-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #263 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Thanks for the follow up. Did they mention a time frame when it will be rereleased?
post #264 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
Thanks for the follow up. Did they mention a time frame when it will be rereleased?
They're trying to get units into retailers hands as soon as possible. I'll keep you posted.
yadfgp likes this.

post #265 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:

I think you are referring to my post in the BenQ W2700 thread. In hind site, "abysmal" is perhaps a bit harsh and a completely subjective term.
I just replaced it with "night scenes were an unsatisfying murky dark grey". Obviously every opinion is subjective, but I think most people who are used to watching a high contrast display would agree with that description of the W1070. Still a fantastic projector at the time for the money, but always with that proviso.
post #266 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 4640
I'm assuming the final production units will ship with this new 1.01 firmware?
Man, I've been so patient but I'm really itching to get this. Just hope all the bugs are worked out and I get a good one.
post #267 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
verrry interesting
yadfgp likes this.
post #268 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
So Scott and I ( @scottyroo )

Last but not least: the iris. I had mentioned in my review and subsequent follow up that the iris exhibited a strange behavior during certain content where it would seemingly 'over react' during bright scenes. This behavior was also observed by @BrandonH . The good news is, thanks to our feedback, BenQ is still working on the issue and they believe they can fix it with further tweaks to the iris' reaction speed. The bad news is, when a solution is implemented, the unit will need to be sent to BenQ for service. This is due to the iris being tied to the underlying TI chipset.
Will the Customer be responsible for shipping charges? How will the Customers be alerted to when this is resolved to ship back? Wonder if it will take a few days, weeks or a month between shipping it and them resolving and sending back?

If one were not to buy this PJ yet, but in the future, how would it be known if the one purchased has this fix?

Tony
post #269 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I think you are referring to my post in the BenQ W2700 thread. In hind site, "abysmal" is perhaps a bit harsh and a completely subjective term.
I just replaced it with "night scenes were an unsatisfying murky dark grey". Obviously every opinion is subjective, but I think most people who are used to watching a high contrast display would agree with that description of the W1070. Still a fantastic projector at the time for the money, but always with that proviso.
No wasn't you actually - it was a number of users on multiple threads. One was about the 3550 vs Epson 4050UB and a user said "Unless you are an avid gamer, I would stay away from DLP projectors. Their contrast is abysmal"

In another thread the OP was asking about upgrading their Sony HW40ES and one user said the contrast and black levels on DLP are "non existent" and another again used the term "abysmal."

Granted these are higher end projectors so maybe there's some bias there. I don't doubt the higher end models have better contrast but I never found the W1070 horrible. I still have moments where the picture wows me, it's just in dark scenes when the black bars become noticeable I feel like it ruins the immersion. My bedroom TV has much better blacks but I still prefer watching on my projector because it feels so much more cinematic than what I can get on a TV. Still though, I wish I had the ability to sample other units just to get an idea of what the PQ could be.
post #270 of 507 Old 03-21-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Will the Customer be responsible for shipping charges? How will the Customers be alerted to when this is resolved to ship back? Wonder if it will take a few days, weeks or a month between shipping it and them resolving and sending back?

If one were not to buy this PJ yet, but in the future, how would it be known if the one purchased has this fix?

Why on earth would they ship these out without a fix? This means the fix is a while out if they’re willing to ship stuff back and forth in the promised future. I never had a benq. Do these guys stand behind their products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gnosys likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
benq ht3550 , benq ht3550 not turning on , broken projector , projector troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page