PF1000u dying - replace or repair? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Should I repair or replace my LG?
Send it to LG for Warranty 1 50.00%
Buy a new projector! 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By barryecohen
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By klas

post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PF1000u dying - replace or repair?

Hi All,

I've had my lovely PF1000u for about 4 years now and recently am having power issues with it. It won't turn on and just power cycles on and off.

I've reached out to LG and they said they can provide out of warranty services (repairs etc) for $160. I'm wondering would this be a good time to upgrade to some of the newer laser UST projectors? I was looking at the Xiaomi (walmart currently has it at $1700) since it had more lumens vs the PF1000u, but wanted to field some advice from you experts first. So would you guys suggest that I buy a new projector or hold off and repair my LG instead. If I should replace it, what would you guys suggest? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by LegoMyGeggo; 03-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Much depends on your cash-flow. If spending $1700 isn't an issue, okay, otherwise $160 to repair a 3 y/o projector isn't bad if you can get another 3 years out of it. Also, in 3 years your $1700 will likely get you even more/better performance.
LegoMyGeggo likes this.

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 602
I would verify that they can fix it for $160 or is that just the diagnostic fee. Most repair centers quote a diagnostic fee to give you an estimate that will be applied to the repair if you decide to fix it and its the minimum you will pay if you don't want to fix it. Most electronics today cost more or almost as much to repair as it is to replace it. Electronics today out of warranty are virtually disposable.
LegoMyGeggo likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I agree, electronics are pretty much disposable these days, even appliances, unless you can fix it yourself. Most recently I had dishwasher fail after 3 years and repairing was half the cost of the new one due to replacement part cost so I ended up replacing, but I also had electric LG stove fail which I was able to fix myself by replacing control panel which was cheap. So if you know which part failed you could possibly attempt to repair yourself if nothing to loose. Could be the cheapest option.
LegoMyGeggo likes this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page