blue dot during dark scenes with epson 5030? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
blue dot during dark scenes with epson 5030?

i bought this projector from a member here. after using it for a little while i noticed there is a faint blue dot about the size of a softball that is there only on dark scenes. i can't see it during bright scenes. i got such a sweet deal on the projector i don't even care really. i just want to know what its from and if it can be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6AFF2DB8-2473-4A9C-B5D2-2A476B336472_1552270000621.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	2537144  
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tig488 View Post
i bought this projector from a member here. after using it for a little while i noticed there is a faint blue dot about the size of a softball that is there only on dark scenes. i can't see it during bright scenes. i got such a sweet deal on the projector i don't even care really. i just want to know what its from and if it can be fixed.
Hi,

it's most likely dust on the blue LCD panel. You can try to adjust the focus ring: if you can focus on the dot, then it's a dust blob. if not, it's something else.

Now, maybe it's just the photo, but the black bars shouldn't look blue like that. Can you post a photo of a black image, or maybe a black and white square pattern? Do you see the blue on the black bars yourself?

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

This is with the focus ring all the way out. It causes the dot to be smaller but more concentrated, if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B45933B-8A28-4E1B-9C97-3D7E1D499E15_1552352546965.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2537530  
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Most likely a dust blob. You can try using canned compressed air, which is readily available, to dislodge the spec of dust. You might do some research as to what areas of that particular pj are best to hit with the air.

edit: I suggest the canned air/duster over using a "shop" compressor as shop compressed air can contain moisture...the canned stuff is designed for dusting/cleaning electronics.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Most likely a dust blob. You can try using canned compressed air, which is readily available, to dislodge the spec of dust. You might do some research as to what areas of that particular pj are best to hit with the air.

edit: I suggest the canned air/duster over using a "shop" compressor as shop compressed air can contain moisture...the canned stuff is designed for dusting/cleaning electronics.

Never !!EVER!!! blow compressed air into a projector without disassembling and removing the optical block as this will almost always just blow more dust into the optics.
descalabro likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Never !!EVER!!! blow compressed air into a projector without disassembling and removing the optical block as this will almost always just blow more dust into the optics.
Removing the optical block...hmmm...that sounds much more "dangerous/risky" than lightly hitting the areas between the back of the lens and the optical block with canned compressed gas/air. I guess i'm a rebel/risk taker as over my almost 20 years of pj ownership I've used air to gently dislodge dust particles/blobs several times from my lcd pj's. Yes, certainly you could make it worse at first if your pj is very dirt but usually you can just continue with the air till you get all the offending particles removed.

So to the op....whether your simply trying air, or performing surgery by removing(and hopefully realigning correctly) your optical block, try at your own risk.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Removing the optical block...hmmm...that sounds much more "dangerous/risky" than lightly hitting the areas between the back of the lens and the optical block with canned compressed gas/air. I guess i'm a rebel/risk taker as over my almost 20 years of pj ownership I've used air to gently dislodge dust particles/blobs several times from my lcd pj's. Yes, certainly you could make it worse at first if your pj is very dirt but usually you can just continue with the air till you get all the offending particles removed.

So to the op....whether your simply trying air, or performing surgery by removing(and hopefully realigning correctly) your optical block, try at your own risk.
If you're skilled then Epson projectors are generally easy to disassemble. However, if you're not skilled, then avoid at all costs. Blowing the air with the projector assembled is a gamble, but some people even do it with it running so that they can see right away if the blobs are going away. Anyway, without at least removing the cover and the main board, it' very unlikely you'll be able to properly blow air on the panels. But as a side note, there's nothing to realign if you take out the optical block: it's a whole block and the LCD panels are tightly set on a metal cube.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
If you're skilled then Epson projectors are generally easy to disassemble. However, if you're not skilled, then avoid at all costs. Blowing the air with the projector assembled is a gamble, but some people even do it with it running so that they can see right away if the blobs are going away. Anyway, without at least removing the cover and the main board, it' very unlikely you'll be able to properly blow air on the panels. But as a side note, there's nothing to realign if you take out the optical block: it's a whole block and the LCD panels are tightly set on a metal cube.
It's been quite awhile since I had an lcd pj. The last one I had was a Sanyo PLV60 back in the early 2000's and it was bad about getting dust blobs. Yes i had the pj on and the focal length adjusted down so the dust is in focus as sharp as possible while doing the "cleaning".

I never messed with an lcd's optical block but figured(incorrectly it seems) that it was similarly fiddly to aligning the dmd in a dlp which i have had to do. That was not a fun project...very tedious to get the alignment just right. In an lcd, it sounds like it's still a bit of a task but doable.

I have had all three main types of digital pj's and my last two have been lcos (JVC RS1 and RS500) and thankfully dust has never been a problem with them(knocking on wood ).
post #10 of 10 Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's been quite awhile since I had an lcd pj. The last one I had was a Sanyo PLV60 back in the early 2000's and it was bad about getting dust blobs. Yes i had the pj on and the focal length adjusted down so the dust is in focus as sharp as possible while doing the "cleaning".

I never messed with an lcd's optical block but figured(incorrectly it seems) that it was similarly fiddly to aligning the dmd in a dlp which i have had to do. That was not a fun project...very tedious to get the alignment just right. In an lcd, it sounds like it's still a bit of a task but doable.

I have had all three main types of digital pj's and my last two have been lcos (JVC RS1 and RS500) and thankfully dust has never been a problem with them(knocking on wood ).

Maybe things have changed, but on Epsons it would really take some seriously bad handling to put something out of alignment. As for the dust problems, that is true, JVC projectors very rarely get dust onto their lcos panels, although they let in plenty of dust into the optical block and into the projector in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page