The AAXA 4K1 LED Projector thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 70 Old 03-27-2019, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Pico = tiny, small, minute?

Yes those pico-pico burrito came a long way to what they are now & the difference to non-pico is that those are still using old age traditional casing because of the added mechanical features. Many of the so called non-pico uses the same DMD/ components as the pico's & are now also turning to LED/ Laser. Some of those pico could also be very bright like the Dangbei F1 which uses 1400 ANSI lumens.

Got a Vmai(icodis) M200, literally a Palm projector for my son's birthday & he was happy about it. I couldn't believe that something this tiny can display such.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-pj-china.html

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 03-28-2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: corrected specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 03-28-2019, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
Pico = tiny, small, minute?

Yes those pico-pico burrito came a long way to what they are now & the only difference with non-pico is that those are still using old age traditional casing. Many of the so called non-pico uses the same DMD/ components as the pico's & are now also turning to LED/ Laser. Some of those pico could also be very bright like the Dangbei F1 which uses 1450 ANSI lumens.

Got a Vmai(icodis) M200, literally a Palm projector for my son's birthday & he was happy about it. I couldn't believe that something this tiny can display such.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-pj-china.html
Hah, I was just thinking the same thing when I posted my previous post...I had to google to see if projectors like the XGIMI H1 were still considered pico projectors, as they definitely aren't palm-sized, but apparently they are still pico-class for a variety of reasons (no zoom lens, no lens shift, Chinese menus, and so on). However, the H1 outclasses nearly every bulb projector I've ever owned in the past, so I would definitely consider it a viable projector for dedicate HT use (and have setup many of them that way!). Instant-on, doesn't overheat your room, doesn't need a lot of cooling space, super sharp clarity from the LED light engine, ridiculously long LED bulb life, etc.

I think right now I've got it narrowed down to either the Aaxa 4K1 or the JmGO X3. My goal is to build a micro 4K LED 5.2.4 Atmos theater in my current tiny half-finished basement. My previous micro-build was using a BenQ HT2050 with a 5.1 Bose clone in a similar space, and it was an awesome setup!
post #33 of 70 Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
My first LED projector was a 500-lumen Viewsonic back in 2012, which I later upgraded to the 800-lumen model. I feel like 800 lumens is really the minimum you need to have a solid big-screen (100"+) experience with an LED projector. I've installed a ton of XGIMI H1's & H2's for family, friends, and small businesses over the last few years, ever since H1 debuted, with great results! My brother is running a 160" screen with his XGIMI & it looks absolutely phenomenal in his basement HT. They are not like the old crappy tiny LED projectors were/are; the newer pico-class LED projectors have come a long way over the last five years or so. Most are still far from perfect (lack of a zoom lens in most models, lag in some of those without game mode, etc.), but they are plenty bright & work great for home theater usage. I've been extremely happy with many of the models I've personally owned! If you haven't had a chance to check out something like the XGIMI H2-Aurora, then it's definitely worth seeing in person if you get the opportunity!
I am very familiar with XGIMI, as a matter of fact I've ordered H2 and cancelled the order after considering the trade offs. At that time I got a deal for UST projector and never looked back. Now that I have tried it I don't see myself downgrading to traditional front projectors, so the only reason I would get one is to have a cheap 4k to travel with, but will hold of until there are more options with reasonable prices.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
These Pico should be priced at $600,otherwise what's the point of them especially Optoma. Too expensive to have it as a backup projector and not that bright among other things to have it as dedicated HT.
This^^

This little guy becomes REALLY interesting for $600...

However with the fixed throw ratio, no HDR, 2W speakers, no 3D, no frame interpolation, only 1,500 lumens... it doesn't seem very compelling for $1,000.

The quad-LED light engine, however, is very compelling, from an industry perspective. I don't believe it will be enough to forgive it's shortcomings above, but I am very interested to see how the quad-LED performs. This projector will be a good case study. I'm wondering if that tech can be brightened up and be implemented more often in DLP projectors to open up target audience to those that suffer from RBE. In theory it should also allow DLP to compete more in the "more color lumens" discussion.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #35 of 70 Old 03-28-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I've owned an LED mini, the LG PF1500, for close to four years. I use it in a dark HT room with a 1.0 ST screen. It is plenty bright so I expect that this AAXA would have plenty of brightness for anyone with conditions similar to mine. The concern I have is that if AAXA hasn't done a better job with controlling the dark light scene contrast than Optoma did with the UHL5500 then it wouldn't work for me. I sent the 5500 back because the 4k chip was so inferior to the 2K one in the PF1500 in the described situation.However, $999 is a long way from the $1,700 that the Optoma commanded when I bought it.

If there was a way to tweak the AAXA to get anywhere close to the 1500 in low black level contrast I would certainly try it.

Jack
post #36 of 70 Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has it shipped or anyone ordered it yet?
Russell Burrows likes this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield

Last edited by klas; 04-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.
post #37 of 70 Old 04-02-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Has it shipped or anyone ordered it yet?
I'm on the fence about ordering it. The JmGO X3 is already available ($100 more than the AAXA); I'm curious to see how it stacks up before pulling the trigger. Other regular-bulb projectors are already available in the $1k price range, so I'd like to see a review before pulling the trigger. I'm a really big fan of (good) LED projectors in general & am very curious about the 4K1...
post #38 of 70 Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm on the fence about ordering it. The JmGO X3 is already available ($100 more than the AAXA); I'm curious to see how it stacks up before pulling the trigger. Other regular-bulb projectors are already available in the $1k price range, so I'd like to see a review before pulling the trigger. I'm a really big fan of (good) LED projectors in general & am very curious about the 4K1...
Unless AAXA has the magic formula you will find that these 4x UHD shifters have substantially poorer low black level contrast than 1080P DLPs of the past few years. I tried two of them, including the led Optoma UHD5500, and returned them both. My four years old led PF1500 had much better blacks. It has to do with the shifting technology without a dynamic iris.

Jack
post #39 of 70 Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:

you might want to hold that thought about the X3
use chrome
https://club.touying.com/t-34676-1.html

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #40 of 70 Old 04-03-2019, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Question

K so has anyone tried the axa 4k1 led projector?
If its blacks are semi in the pf1500 range then i will buy an axa projector?

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #41 of 70 Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
haha, no that $1500 is the normal msrp price which is everywhere. If they were selling at $500 off then people would be all over it at $1k.
Ah, gotcha.
post #42 of 70 Old 04-03-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 3732 Post(s)
Liked: 2958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
K so has anyone tried the axa 4k1 led projector?
If its blacks are semi in the pf1500 range then i will buy an axa projector?
So far no projector with a 0.47" XPR chip has been able to match the native black levels of the older, larger 1080p chip. It seems to be an inherent characteristic of TI's DLP DMD that can't be corrected at the projector manufacturer level.
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #43 of 70 Old 04-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
So far no projector with a 0.47" XPR chip has been able to match the native black levels of the older, larger 1080p chip. It seems to be an inherent characteristic of TI's DLP DMD that can't be corrected at the projector manufacturer level.

Any chance that 2020 brings a larger .66 chip and better black levels?

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp

Last edited by Russell Burrows; 04-04-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Forgot .66 chip
post #44 of 70 Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There already is a larger 0.66" XPR chip with better black levels -- TI's DLP660TE. Unfortunately it's only available on a few older models and to the best of my knowledge no new projectors have been announced with this chip. For better or worse the DLP projector industry seems to be focusing on the 0.47" 4x shifting 1920x1080 micromirror XPR chip rather than the 0.66" 2x shifting 2716 x 1528 micromirror chip.
post #45 of 70 Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My buddy ordered the Aaxa 4K1 - I'll have to get some hands-on time with it after it arrives. I'm currently leaning towards the BenQ HT3550, however.
post #46 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Playing with the AAXA 4K1 now. Just a laundry list of initial thoughts, and unfortunately, most of them are negative so far:

1. Size is nice. Fairly compact.

2. Fan noise is awful. For this reason alone, this is immediately a no-go for my tiny HT room. It has 3 brightness settings (low/medium/high). Low (Eco) is tolerable for fan noise, but the brightness drops so much that the color literally, visibly changes on the screen. Oddly enough, the fan is not a nice purr, it sounds like an aging laptop fan, kinda janky. At Medium (Standard), it sounds like a hairdryer in the next room. At High (Bright/Boost), it sounds like a portable travel hairdryer. Ridiculous. I don't know if I've ever used a projector as noisy as this!

3. Brightness is somewhat pathetic. The 1350-lumen XGIMI H2 blows it away. My first decent LED projector as the 720p Viewsonic (500 lumens). It was adequate, but not great, and you really needed a blacked-out room for decent performance. Then the 720p Viewsonic 800-lumen came along, and I thought "ah okay, 800 lumens is what I consider to be the minimum requirement for an LED projector to look good". So for the past half-dozen years, that has pretty much held true. The AAXA, however, reminders me of those original Viewsonic models. I would say it feels like a 700-lumen model...like almost at the 800-lumen "minimum" requirement, but man, I'd sure like the 4K1 to be a LOT brighter - even in a blacked-out room, at max brightness, I still wanted just a bit more brightness out of the AAXA. I've gotten the XGIMI H2 at a 25-foot diagonal with surprisingly decent results; I'm shooting the 4K1 at 120" & I'm not super thrilled with it.

4. Sharpness is awesome. Like when iPhones went to Retina screens...text looks great! Readability is the best I've ever seen on a projector (this is my first experience with a 4K model). The clarity is really excellent. Electronic focus is nice (I miss the H2's autofocus, tho!). However...

5. I see what you mean about black levels. The 1080p XGIMI is FAR better. That 2000:1 contrast ratio hurts it, as well. Clear, but not with that vivid punch you really want. I've setup a ton of 1080p XGIMI models (H1, H2, Aurora variations, etc.) over the last couple of years & have been really, really happy with them (for what they are...Asian TV show ads on boot-up, Chinese language menus, etc.). This AAXA model needs the the mojo that XGIMI has. The 0.47" 1080p DMD in the XGIMI is noticeably superior to the AAXA's 4K chip for everything but resolution. I watched some movie clips & some reference clips on the 4K1 just as a quick test & wasn't thrilled.

That's all I had time for today. Next week, I'll see if I can borrow it & get some more hands-on time with a 4K player, an XGIMI, and a BenQ, just to compare. Primarily due to the fan noise, but also the far-less-than-expected brightness level (at which max brightness = horridly loud, not like tiny fan annoying loud like most budget pico projectors, like LOUD-loud), I will not be going with the 4K1 for my home theater. The BenQ HT3550 is at the top of the list right now. I'd really like to test another 4K LED model, such as the JmGO X3 or the Optoma UHL55, just to see how the fan noise, brightness levels, black levels, and contrast ratios compare in-person, but given what I've seen with this model, I wouldn't expect to be overly impressed with the X3 or UHL55. If you were to offer me an H2 vs. a 4K1, I'd take the H2 in a heartbeat. I'd even take the H1 over it! Bummer.
wheelee and dreamer like this.

Last edited by Kaido; 04-18-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #47 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 PM

With that fan speed, I can't imagine the dust blobs you'd have to clean out every now & then.
I guess marketing pushed R&D on this model.

Xgimi announced a budget 4K last year & every one was expecting it on 11-11 but it wasn't there, now in their bbs a lot are asking about it & the moderator said just to wait patiently for the surprise coz it would be worth it! now expecting it to be released on 6-18.

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #48 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Playing with the AAXA 4K1 now. Just a laundry list of initial thoughts, and unfortunately, most of them are negative so far:

1. Size is nice. Fairly compact.

2. Fan noise is awful. For this reason alone, this is immediately a no-go for my tiny HT room. It has 3 brightness settings (low/medium/high). Low (Eco) is tolerable for fan noise, but the brightness drops so much that the color literally, visibly changes on the screen. Oddly enough, the fan is not a nice purr, it sounds like an aging laptop fan, kinda janky. At Medium (Standard), it sounds like a hairdryer in the next room. At High (Bright/Boost), it sounds like a portable travel hairdryer. Ridiculous. I don't know if I've ever used a projector as noisy as this!

3. Brightness is somewhat pathetic. The 1350-lumen XGIMI H2 blows it away. My first decent LED projector as the 720p Viewsonic (500 lumens). It was adequate, but not great, and you really needed a blacked-out room for decent performance. Then the 720p Viewsonic 800-lumen came along, and I thought "ah okay, 800 lumens is what I consider to be the minimum requirement for an LED projector to look good". So for the past half-dozen years, that has pretty much held true. The AAXA, however, reminders me of those original Viewsonic models. I would say it feels like a 700-lumen model...like almost at the 800-lumen "minimum" requirement, but man, I'd sure like the 4K1 to be a LOT brighter - even in a blacked-out room, at max brightness, I still wanted just a bit more brightness out of the AAXA. I've gotten the XGIMI H2 at a 25-foot diagonal with surprisingly decent results; I'm shooting the 4K1 at 120" & I'm not super thrilled with it.

4. Sharpness is awesome. Like when iPhones went to Retina screens...text looks great! Readability is the best I've ever seen on a projector (this is my first experience with a 4K model). The clarity is really excellent. Electronic focus is nice (I miss the H2's autofocus, tho!). However...

5. I see what you mean about black levels. The 1080p XGIMI is FAR better. That 2000:1 contrast ratio hurts it, as well. Clear, but not with that vivid punch you really want. I've setup a ton of 1080p XGIMI models (H1, H2, Aurora variations, etc.) over the last couple of years & have been really, really happy with them (for what they are...Asian TV show ads on boot-up, Chinese language menus, etc.). This AAXA model needs the the mojo that XGIMI has. The 0.47" 1080p DMD in the XGIMI is noticeably superior to the AAXA's 4K chip for everything but resolution. I watched some movie clips & some reference clips on the 4K1 just as a quick test & wasn't thrilled.

That's all I had time for today. Next week, I'll see if I can borrow it & get some more hands-on time with a 4K player, an XGIMI, and a BenQ, just to compare. Primarily due to the fan noise, but also the far-less-than-expected brightness level (at which max brightness = horridly loud, not like tiny fan annoying loud like most budget pico projectors, like LOUD-loud), I will not be going with the 4K1 for my home theater. The BenQ HT3550 is at the top of the list right now. I'd really like to test another 4K LED model, such as the JmGO X3 or the Optoma UHL55, just to see how the fan noise, brightness levels, black levels, and contrast ratios compare in-person, but given what I've seen with this model, I wouldn't expect to be overly impressed with the X3 or UHL55. If you were to offer me an H2 vs. a 4K1, I'd take the H2 in a heartbeat. I'd even take the H1 over it! Bummer.
Don't bother with the UHL55. I sent it back. Everything was good but blacks and contrast were much worse than my four year old PF1500.

Jack
post #49 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Don't bother with the UHL55. I sent it back. Everything was good but blacks and contrast were much worse than my four year old PF1500.
Yeah, and I didn't like the PF1500 all that much personally (or the UST model)...went with the XGIMI H1 after the LG's, loved it, and started doing those for friend's HT's. The H2-Aurora is a steal for what it is...nice built-in speaker, amazing brightness & picture, auto-focus that actually works, can shoot sideways so you don't have to mount it overhead, etc. But my previous BenQ HT2050 had just a bit of an edge over it in terms of overall warmth, so I'm thinking the HT3550 will be a really nice 4K model for my basement theater. My goal is to build a "micro" Atmos theater (5.4.1) with a 4K projector & I was really hoping to go LED with it. Ah well.
post #50 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
With that fan speed, I can't imagine the dust blobs you'd have to clean out every now & then.
I guess marketing pushed R&D on this model.

Xgimi announced a budget 4K last year & every one was expecting it on 11-11 but it wasn't there, now in their bbs a lot are asking about it & the moderator said just to wait patiently for the surprise coz it would be worth it! now expecting it to be released on 6-18.
I hope they make a 4K model like the H1/H2, and I hope it's awesome! Not having a lot of confidence in the 4K chip tho, based on what I've seen with the 4K1 model so far. I'll have to make a video of the fan noise on the AAXA...it's a real turn-off. I don't know if he's going to keep his 4K1 or not...they have a 30-day return policy, so he's going to give it a couple of weeks, and I'll see if I can grab an XGIMI to compare.
post #51 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, and I didn't like the PF1500 all that much personally (or the UST model)...went with the XGIMI H1 after the LG's, loved it, and started doing those for friend's HT's. The H2-Aurora is a steal for what it is...nice built-in speaker, amazing brightness & picture, auto-focus that actually works, can shoot sideways so you don't have to mount it overhead, etc. But my previous BenQ HT2050 had just a bit of an edge over it in terms of overall warmth, so I'm thinking the HT3550 will be a really nice 4K model for my basement theater. My goal is to build a "micro" Atmos theater (5.4.1) with a 4K projector & I was really hoping to go LED with it. Ah well.
IMO the key to the PF1500 was having it calibrated properly using all of the tools available. Mine was and looks just as good as my 10K SharpVision 20000 and my JVC RS40, which I ended up giving away. So pay the price and have your H2 calibrated and you may never replace it. BTW, does it have the ability to be isf calibrated?
Kaido likes this.

Jack
post #52 of 70 Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
IMO the key to the PF1500 was having it calibrated properly using all of the tools available. Mine was and looks just as good as my 10K SharpVision 20000 and my JVC RS40, which I ended up giving away. So pay the price and have your H2 calibrated and you may never replace it. BTW, does it have the ability to be isf calibrated?
I don't think it does (at least not back in the H1 days, I'll have to check with XGIMI or Kaya to see if that story has changed, but I doubt it!). tbh I'll probably keep my H2-Aurora forever...it's been a tank! I use it with a 135" ES Yard Master 2 when it's warm out & it's been really fantastic for super-easy outdoor movie & gaming nights (previously had a Walmart inflatable 12' screen, which was a lot of fun, but the YM2 has been a treat with how easy it is to setup & doesn't require constant air, power, and motor noise to operate!).

The 4K project is for my "click-n-go" basement theater, which is why I wanted another LED projector model...one that was fixed on a wall or ceiling mount, always plugged in & ready to be clicked on & start playing games or watching shows. It's not that there's a huge difference in accessibility between a traditional bulb projector vs. an LED projector, but there is something awfully approachable about just clicking a button & having it pretty much be "instant-on", while not heating up the room, being too noisy, or being too big for the space. Those are kind of minor things, but in my family at least, when I have the XGIMI setup indoors, it gets used a lot more often because it's so easy to use! It's almost like a rotary phone on the wall vs. an iPhone...with the iPhone, you just swipe & it's ready to go...the XGIMI models have been the same way for everyone I've installed them for, just super easy to use & great bang for the buck!
wheelee likes this.
post #53 of 70 Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Surprising that the 4K1 would underperform previous AAXA models. AAXA certainly has enough experience with solid performing models not to have messed up the 4K1 design. I suppose there's always hope that this was an early production unit that wasn't up to spec. I guess we'll see when more units are out in the wild and serious testing with calibrated test equipment is performed.
post #54 of 70 Old 04-19-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thinking a little more about the 4K1's fan noise, AAXA has always focused on the smallest possible projectors for portability. With dimensions of 8.3" x 7.2" x 2.4" the 4K1 is certainly one of the smallest 4K models on the market. Small case size is a disadvantage for fan noise because there's less room for internal baffling to muffle the sound of the fans. Also the more lumens produced the more heat generated and the more cooling air required.

Looking at an image of the 4K1 there are 3 small cooling fans <2" in diameter flush with the projector's backside. Small fans like that can tend to have a more annoying sound than larger ones and it's also likely they wouldn't all be spinning at exactly the same speed. That has the potential for setting up harmonics that can be even more annoying.

The quietest projectors on the market typically have cooling fans buried deep inside the case where their sound is more muffled. So it's probably best when shopping for a home theater projector where subdued cooling fan noise is desired to stick with projectors with larger cases.
post #55 of 70 Old 04-19-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thinking a little more about the 4K1's fan noise, AAXA has always focused on the smallest possible projectors for portability. With dimensions of 8.3" x 7.2" x 2.4" the 4K1 is certainly one of the smallest 4K models on the market. Small case size is a disadvantage for fan noise because there's less room for internal baffling to muffle the sound of the fans. Also the more lumens produced the more heat generated and the more cooling air required.

Looking at an image of the 4K1 there are 3 small cooling fans <2" in diameter flush with the projector's backside. Small fans like that can tend to have a more annoying sound than larger ones and it's also likely they wouldn't all be spinning at exactly the same speed. That has the potential for setting up harmonics that can be even more annoying.

The quietest projectors on the market typically have cooling fans buried deep inside the case where their sound is more muffled. So it's probably best when shopping for a home theater projector where subdued cooling fan noise is desired to stick with projectors with larger cases.
I have several AAXA projectors & am a really big fan of the P300 NEO in particular, for what it is. My primary issue with the 4K1 is the excessive noise; I'll take a video of it next time I play with it. Second issue is the brightness; not awful, just not to the level I was expecting. Maybe it's just a dud unit, but given the quantity of fans, I doubt it!
post #56 of 70 Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have several AAXA projectors & am a really big fan of the P300 NEO in particular, for what it is. My primary issue with the 4K1 is the excessive noise; I'll take a video of it next time I play with it. Second issue is the brightness; not awful, just not to the level I was expecting. Maybe it's just a dud unit, but given the quantity of fans, I doubt it! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
You are obviously not new to projectors but what did you really expect from a compact box that needs to cool down the light source effectively and non ansi lumens rating. I still see the real cost of this is half of what they are asking otherwise it's DOA.

post #57 of 70 Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have several AAXA projectors & am a really big fan of the P300 NEO in particular, for what it is. My primary issue with the 4K1 is the excessive noise; I'll take a video of it next time I play with it. Second issue is the brightness; not awful, just not to the level I was expecting. Maybe it's just a dud unit, but given the quantity of fans, I doubt it!
Prior to the 4K1 the 1080p M6 was AAXA's top projector. Projectorreviews.com gave the M6 credit for being "quite bright. Almost no competitors this size have measured brighter." However, they really dinged the M6 for fan noise:

Quote:
AAXA has not provided a measurement for fan noise, but I can tell you it ranges from barely audible in ECO Mode, to downright un-ignorable when operating at full power. The mid-range power mode, Standard, has audible noise as well, though it is less loud than when operating in Bright Mode. Standard will be your best bet for combatting that loud fan while still having a bright image.

Even so, you’ll likely need to speak up in order to overcome that fan noise, because ECO Mode isn’t likely to cut it as far as brightness goes in you’re presenting. The fan noise at maximum in a room full of people will most likely be acceptable, but it’s hardly ideal. My best guess is that the audible noise is upwards of 40db. That’s super loud.

When the volume is turned all the way up, the fan noise becomes less noticeable, which is good because the projector would be completely unusable for movies if this wasn’t so. Gaming would be difficult as well. Whether you’re using the M6 for entertainment or business, you’ll likely to be able to overcome what must be the loudest fan ever on a pocket projector.
So it seems that a version of Hoffman's Iron Law for speakers (You can only have 2 of 3 -- bass extension, efficiency, small enclosure) also applies to projectors: You can only have 2 of 3 -- high lumens, low fan noise, small case.
post #58 of 70 Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are obviously not new to projectors but what did you really expect from a compact box that needs to cool down the light source effectively and non ansi lumens rating. I still see the real cost of this is half of what they are asking otherwise it's DOA.
Well, the XGIMI H1 & H2 do a great job, with a taller frame, but in about the same footprint. The 4K chip obviously requires some heavy-duty cooling though. The 4K1 is my first experience with a 4K projector; HT3550 is currently on my radar! I still have a month or two's worth of work on the other half of my basement, so I'm in no rush, but I'm glad I've been able to narrow down the choices somewhat...
post #59 of 70 Old 04-20-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Prior to the 4K1 the 1080p M6 was AAXA's top projector. Projectorreviews.com gave the M6 credit for being "quite bright. Almost no competitors this size have measured brighter." However, they really dinged the M6 for fan noise:

So it seems that a version of Hoffman's Iron Law for speakers (You can only have 2 of 3 -- bass extension, efficiency, small enclosure) also applies to projectors: You can only have 2 of 3 -- high lumens, low fan noise, small case.
Yeah, that was actually one of the reasons I skipped the M6. I think I'll have to live with a giant HT3550. The sacrifices we make with our #firstworldproblems
post #60 of 70 Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
We'll have to wait for reviews, but then i don't see how this would work great in any of those settings with unknown brightness rating and weak contrast. The only thing it has going is 4k, but there are ton of non 4k projectors that are cheaper and brighter that would works much better in those mentioned settings. Even with built in speakers like XGIMI H2 for half the price.
Hi, I saw the mention of the XGIMI H2 as a "half price alternative". Not so fast.

The H2 is sort of most like a low resolution Optoma UHL55 - big speakers, etc. But the H2 is only WVGA resolution - we're talking DVD here, vs a 4K UHD. Definitely not remotely close as an alternative as you move back 20 years in resolution. - no matter what the input lag...

Art Feierman
"Reviewing projectors is fun, but watching the 5th Element for the 500th time..."
Which means I'm really looking forward to Valerian: City of 1000 Planets
www.projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page