The AAXA 4K1 LED Projector thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 71 Old 05-17-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post
Hi, I saw the mention of the XGIMI H2 as a "half price alternative". Not so fast.

The H2 is sort of most like a low resolution Optoma UHL55 - big speakers, etc. But the H2 is only WVGA resolution - we're talking DVD here, vs a 4K UHD. Definitely not remotely close as an alternative as you move back 20 years in resolution. - no matter what the input lag...
XGIMI H2 native resolution is Full HD aka 1080p and UHL55 is 4k

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 05-17-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5416 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:
Hi, I saw the mention of the XGIMI H2 as a "half price alternative". Not so fast.

The H2 is sort of most like a low resolution Optoma UHL55 - big speakers, etc. But the H2 is only WVGA resolution - we're talking DVD here, vs a 4K UHD. Definitely not remotely close as an alternative as you move back 20 years in resolution. - no matter what the input lag...
Art, hi the XGIMI H2 is a native 1080P projector using TI's .47 1920x1080 DMD.
post #63 of 71 Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Art, hi the XGIMI H2 is a native 1080P projector using TI's .47 1920x1080 DMD.
My bad. You are correct - 1080p. It was a different pocket projector someone was trying to get us to review but was only WVGA. I simply spaced on that. We have an H2 arriving any day now to be reviewed. (I tend to avoid projectors with things like WVGA resolution,(

So again, sorry bout that! -art

Art Feierman
"Reviewing projectors is fun, but watching the 5th Element for the 500th time..."
Which means I'm really looking forward to Valerian: City of 1000 Planets
www.projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Yes, I read that. I guess I am the only person on the planet who values a completely black screen when it is supposed to be completely black. FOFO is not a useless measurement if the reader understands what it means.

It does not answer my question about RGB LED light engines, either. Are they capable of adjusting brightness percentages lower than lamps (30%) and has any manufacturer including AAXA implemented such brightness control including complete shut down for intra-scene transitions, ie FOFO. It seems like reviews should mention this if it is something that LED light engines can do but lamp based engines cannot.

Even when it comes to Dynamic Black lamp dimming, a UHP lamp that is dimmed is (or maybe not) still producing the same relative proportions of Red Green and Blue along with many other colors (which then need a color wheel to filter out). There should be an advantage of RGB LEDs that are producing only specific wavelengths and can control the brightness of each color individually, but it would require some tweaking of the TI Dynamic Black algorithm, so why is there no mention of this in their M6 review ?
Hi, A couple of things. While LEDs and lasers can be dimmed or turned off to behave like a dynamic iris, the question isn't can they do that, but why don't they. I've been calling on manufacturers to do just that. Let the laser (or LED) engine emulate a fast iris. Long ago, we had hoped Epson's LS10500 would be able to do that, but no.
Off the top of my head, the most obvious example (and the only one I'm sure of), of using a laser engine as a dynamic iris, is the Sony VPL-VW995ES. Great projector but the $40K list price is going to keep it out of most people's homes. Still, no reason why we shouldn't see more of this in the future, as lasers especially, but also LEDs start to dominate the marketplace. -art

Art Feierman
"Reviewing projectors is fun, but watching the 5th Element for the 500th time..."
Which means I'm really looking forward to Valerian: City of 1000 Planets
www.projectorreviews.com
post #65 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Hi, A couple of things. While LEDs and lasers can be dimmed or turned off to behave like a dynamic iris, the question isn't can they do that, but why don't they. I've been calling on manufacturers to do just that. Let the laser (or LED) engine emulate a fast iris. Long ago, we had hoped Epson's LS10500 would be able to do that, but no.
Off the top of my head, the most obvious example (and the only one I'm sure of), of using a laser engine as a dynamic iris, is the Sony VPL-VW995ES. Great projector but the $40K list price is going to keep it out of most people's homes. Still, no reason why we shouldn't see more of this in the future, as lasers especially, but also LEDs start to dominate the marketplace. -art
Art,

It would seem that when you visit the shows and talk to the vendors you would be able to ask the question, "Why not?". They usually have an engineering manager at the show and your position and reputation in the industry should merit a detailed answer.

I'm guessing led or laser dynamic iris emulation either doesn't work well or there is product line impact that doesn't work well for them. In my former life in computer product development if we added features to our product and gave it a new number or model designation we had to measure the impact it would cause on the current line and absorb the profit loss they would encounter because our advanced features lost them sales. Of course, the competition always did that anyway and we would lose out. That company of mine no longer makes hardware of any significance.

Jack
post #66 of 71 Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think you need a special dimmable LED & a dedicated circuit for those to work for dimming.

not sure if these covers LED's used in pj's
https://lamphq.com/dimming-led-lights/
https://insights.regencylighting.com...ow-to-fix-them
https://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlp...dimmedLEDs.asp
Quote:
Differences among various colored LEDs could be problematic in arrays designed to mix colors to produce white light. Color appearance could shift unacceptably when dimming if the different color components change.

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 07-02-2019 at 08:13 PM.
post #67 of 71 Old 07-17-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
I think you need a special dimmable LED & a dedicated circuit for those to work for dimming.

not sure if these covers LED's used in pj's
https://lamphq.com/dimming-led-lights/
https://insights.regencylighting.com...ow-to-fix-them
https://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlp...dimmedLEDs.asp
If the wavelength of each color LED changes with brightness or each color doesn't dim proportionate to the others, that would just mean pre-processing of the image to keep the colors balanced. If dimming cannot be controlled so precisely, then the "On" time for the DMD while in each color time slot could do the fine control, but I think that would require TI rather than the manufacturer to engineer that. Or maybe it is even simpler and dimming the LEDs is not necessary at all and simply controlling the duration of the full power or zero power to each LED could accomplish it.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #68 of 71 Old 07-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
post #69 of 71 Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 401
post #70 of 71 Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
anyone know the input lag on this?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #71 of 71 Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
There is no way the input lag is any better than any of the other 4K models. This seems to be a problem with the XPR chipset not being able to work nearly as quickly as the 1080p chip sets do. 4K and serious gaming is a huge fail with DLP this go around. I would bet TI will address this at some point.... .... .... maybe.

This projector seems like it could be such a huge win, but the fan noise just completely kills it. I can't believe they would bother to release this without rethinking the entire cooling system. Make it an inch taller and put a large 120mm fan on the top to really move air and to cut the noise level by 10dB. Put a high quality fan in there that makes almost no noise. I can't even image how exciting this model really could be if the fan noise was nearly non-existent. How many people would be stoked to get a nearly silent LED projector with 4K for about $1,000.

But, nobody wants a noise factory. NOBODY!

They really want to want this, AAXA has shot themselves in the foot with the 4K1 and the excessive noise levels.

Obviously the 'user' picture settings that don't show you what you are changing was a huge mistake as well. But, this may be a limitation of a cheaper chip set in place and may not easily be corrected. The noise level is all on AAXA and their design. Trying to go as small as possible, then engineering a cruddy design and releasing it without anyone telling them it was unacceptable and would KILL sales.

Congratulation on making a product that everyone wants, but nobody will buy because of what you did to it AAXA.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page