The AAXA 4K1 LED Projector thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 70 Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The AAXA 4K1 LED Projector thread

$999 Pre-order, estimated to ship 3/29/19

Quick specs:

* 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD)
* 1500 lumens
* 2000:1 contrast
* 1.2:1 throw
* Electric focus
* HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 & CEC/ARC
* 200" max
* 8.3" x 7.2" x 2.4", 3.8 pounds, 130 watts

Product page:

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/4k1...projector.html

Ceiling mount:

http://www.aaxatech.com/store/produc...lingMount.html

Press release:

http://www.aaxatech.com/news/4k1_projector_news.html

Quote:
Irvine, CA March 15, 2019

AAXA Technologies is excited to announce the release of the AAXA 4K1 LED Projector, a true native 4K 3840 x 2160 resolution mini projector.

The 4K1 delivers cinema level resolution by employing the latest Texas Instruments DLP technologies featuring a native 4K digital imager mated to ultra-long-life Osram quad-cast LEDs. With its powerful 1500 Lumen optical engine, the 4K1 can deliver a vibrant 200” image in crystal clear Ultra-HD.

The 4K1 features dual HDMI compatible inputs, remote-controlled focus adjustment, powerful twin 2-watt speakers, and an onboard media player.

True 4K 3840 x 2160 resolution

The AAXA 4K1 employs a state-of-the-art optical system based on Texas Instruments DLP’s very latest 4K MEMs imager. The light-source comes from premium Osram “Quad-Cast” LEDs and the image is passed through premium grade optics including a high MTF lens-set which ensures no image degradation. The result is true on-screen Ultra-HD resolution and a vibrant, clear, and sharp image.

30,000 Hour Osram Quad-Cast LEDs

The 4K1 employs premium Osram quad-cast solid-state LEDs. Quad Cast Red/Green/Blue/Blue LEDs are able to produce a rich and vibrant color gamut that cannot be found in color-wheel or white LED based projectors. Solid-state LED technology enables long life-spans, instant on/off, and is much more durable than lamp-based projectors. With a 30,000 hour LED light source the 4K1 can operate 8 hours per day for more than 10 years without needing a lamp change. And of course the LEDs are environmentally friendly and mercury free.

Remote Electric Focus (REF)

The 4K1 employs remote electric focus technology that allows the user to adjust the focus via remote control without ever touching the projector. This feature enables better control over adjustments and flexibility for ceiling mounting or frequent location changes.

Ceiling Mount Compatible

The 4K1 employs a custom 3-hole ceiling mount (mount sold separately) for secure vertical mounting applications.

Premium Dual 2 Watt Speakers

The AAXA 4K1 features twin 2-watt speakers that deliver room-filling sound for an immersive viewing experience.

Connectivity and Media Playback

The AAXA 4K1 features twin HDMI inputs, an AV 3.5mm input, as well as an onboard media player capable of decoding digital videos and pictures. Content can be stored directly on a Micro TF card or USB memory stick and played back directly from the projector. The 4K1 incorporates dual 2-watt premium speakers to deliver vibrant sound in a small form-factor.

Pricing

The AAXA 4K1 Pico Projector is available for sale at www.aaxatech.com for $999 and through our excellent retail partners.

About AAXA Technologies

AAXA Technologies Inc was founded in 2008 as a developer and manufacturer of a new class of projector known as "micro" projectors and "pico" projectors. AAXA's core technology is based on small LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) and DLP (Digital Light Processing) imagers mated to LED (light emitting diode) and Laser light-sources that makes micro projectors and pico sized projectors possible. In 2010 AAXA launched the world's first laser pico projector and today remains a leader in mini-projector technology. AAXA holds several patents in optical and LCoS designs and manufactures the majority of its products in China, with core technological development occurring in both the Silicon Valley, California and China.

The AAXA 4K1 Projector is available through AAXA's exclusive distributors and the AAXA Technologies website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-17-2019, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was going to pick up the updated XGIMI H2 (1500 lumens) for my newly-finished basement, but this 4K1 model looks pretty intriguing. I setup a few XGIMI H2's last year (the 1350-lumen model) & they were super-awesome...tried out one in a barn with a 25' diagonal & it looked surprisingly great! Curious to learn more about the new Aaxa, however...4K LED sounds pretty fantastic, especially for a grand! Of course, one of the biggest benefits of the XGIMI is that you can shoot it sideways, so it doesn't have to be mounted overhead, which is really convenient for certain room configurations.

Debating on pre-ordering or waiting for reviews to show up online...
post #3 of 70 Old 03-17-2019, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 86
2019 will be the year of 4K projectors with competitive pricing & since all this vendors use the DMD/ chipset it all boils down on how they implement picture quality in their product. Hope someone review & compare this with other 4K pj's out there.

I was wondering with all those enhancements like HDR, HDR HLG, different implementations of color wheels & other color manipulation - would the film still come out as intended to be or are we being fed eye candy features that where not there?

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
2019 will be the year of 4K projectors with competitive pricing & since all this vendors use the DMD/ chipset it all boils down on how they implement picture quality in their product. Hope someone review & compare this with other 4K pj's out there.

I was wondering with all those enhancements like HDR, HDR HLG, different implementations of color wheels & other color manipulation - would the film still come out as intended to be or are we being fed eye candy features that where not there?
The 3500-lumen Viewsonic PX747-4K is already down to a grand on Amazon, and the slightly-older Optoma UHD50 isn't far behind, so competitive pricing is definitely in the works! What makes the Aaxa stand out is the small size, lower power requirements, and LED light engine. As is typical with most picos, there doesn't seem to be much beyond that in terms of HDR or anything, or even a zoom lens. I'm curious if XGIMI will get on the ball with an H3 or something!
post #5 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is that an ANSI lumens?
post #6 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'll be the one to ask the usual question. Does anywhere note the expected input lag?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 366
You know when I first read this post, I looked at the picture in op’s link. I thought oh just some cheapie Amazon special. Then I read their bio on another website.

“AAXA Technologies Inc. was founded in 2008 as a developer and manufacturer of a new class of projectors called "micro" projectors and "pico" projectors. AAXA's core technology is based on small LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) and DLP (Digital Light Processing) imagers coupled with LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes) and laser light sources that enable micro projectors and projectors pico size. In 2010, AAXA launched the world's first pico laser projector and remains a leader in mini-projector technology today. AAXA holds several patents in the field of optical design and LCoS and manufactures the majority of its products in China, with a major technological development in Silicon Valley, California and China.”

Sounds like this could be a great camping, bedroom or backyard projector.
post #8 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Sounds like this could be a great camping, bedroom or backyard projector.
We'll have to wait for reviews, but then i don't see how this would work great in any of those settings with unknown brightness rating and weak contrast. The only thing it has going is 4k, but there are ton of non 4k projectors that are cheaper and brighter that would works much better in those mentioned settings. Even with built in speakers like XGIMI H2 for half the price.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #9 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
We'll have to wait for reviews, but then i don't see how this would work great in any of those settings with unknown brightness rating and weak contrast. The only thing it has going is 4k, but there are ton of non 4k projectors that are cheaper and brighter that would works much better in those mentioned settings. Even with built in speakers like XGIMI H2 for half the price.

I was assuming it was battery powered, after more reading it seems it’s not. If it was, you could just plug in a streaming stick and prop it up anywhere. You can usually overcome weak brightness and contrast by simply moving the projector closer to a surface and having a smaller screen size. This would be much much easier if it was battery powered.
post #10 of 70 Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Is that an ANSI lumens?
i'm guessing it should be since it uses separate RGBB Led's & No color wheel? so does that eliminate/ reduces RBE?
Quote:
The 4K1 employs premium Osram quad-cast solid-state LEDs. Quad Cast Red/Green/Blue/Blue LEDs are able to produce a rich and vibrant color gamut that cannot be found in color-wheel or white LED based projectors. Solid-state LED technology enables long life-spans, instant on/off, and is much more durable than lamp-based projectors.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/aaxa_...eb16166121.htm

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #11 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The quad-cast LEDs may be the most interesting thing in this announcement.

No colour wheel? If there's no RBE then there goes one of the biggest issues with DLP. Extended colour gamut? Nice!

Now, if TI were to make a real 4K DLP chip, and not a shifter ....
post #12 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
2000:1

I hope that's a typo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #13 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
I'm curious if XGIMI will get on the ball with an H3 or something!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-4k-laser.html
post #14 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 3729 Post(s)
Liked: 2953
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
You know when I first read this post, I looked at the picture in op’s link. I thought oh just some cheapie Amazon special. Then I read their bio on another website. ...
Over the years AAXA LED projectors have gotten consistently good professional reviews and have also been highly recommended by many folks on this forum. They have a good track record of delivering above average performance at below average pricing. Try looking up reviews of the 1080p AAXA M6 for a hint of what to expect.
post #15 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The AAXA M6 was rated at 1,200 lumens but independently tested by projectorreviews.com at a maximum 835 lumens or about 70% of advertised lumens. Taking 70% of the 4K1's 1,500-lumen rating would put it at 1,050 measured lumens. But there should be some increased perceived brightness from the Helmholtz-Kohlrausch (HK) effect that has been demonstrated in RGB LED projectors like the 4K1 that display equal white and color brightness (see link below). So maybe ~1,100 perceived lumens, which is good for such a small LED projector but won't be enough for those who want to throw larger images with ambient light in the room.

projectorcentral.com/Meter-and-Perceived-Brightness-Test.htm
Kaido likes this.
post #16 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post
2000:1
Not likely. Considering how poor the real world contrast is of almost all of the current 4K DLP projectors, I'm not sure what truth in advertising matters.

Reality remains that there is almost no DLP 4K projector (or non-4K) that can garner a 2,000:1 contrast ratio in the real world. So, this is probably worlds closer to reality than anything else on the market.

I hope AAXA sends out a model to Projector Reviews and Projector Central to get some good feedback.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Is that an ANSI lumens?
1,500 LED lumens.

Not ANSI. So, expect about half that much in the real world. Maybe up to 1,000 real world lumens max. That's still plenty for a 120" diagonal screen.

But, it's not a light canon. Just a solidly bright LED projector. Maybe on par with XGimi models.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #18 of 70 Old 03-19-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Not likely. Considering how poor the real world contrast is of almost all of the current 4K DLP projectors, I'm not sure what truth in advertising matters.

Reality remains that there is almost no DLP 4K projector (or non-4K) that can garner a 2,000:1 contrast ratio in the real world. So, this is probably worlds closer to reality than anything else on the market.

I hope AAXA sends out a model to Projector Reviews and Projector Central to get some good feedback.

Still, if they can ramp the power to the LEDs fast enough, turning them all completely off for scene transitions could yield an impressive FOFO contrast and very low black floor. Has any of the previous AAXA DLP 1080P models done that, do you know ? I've read the PC and PR reviews of the M6 and did not see any notes on full on/off contrast.

How does the Dynamic Black lamp dimming translate to separate RGB(Y) LEDs ? Lamp dimming on some Benq lamped models can drop lumens as low as 30% of full power, so I am wondering if LEDs can drop output lower than lamps can or is it purely on/off. It seems like they should, as lamps have strike issues if power drops too low. What would a deep space scene look like if the LEDs were only producing 5% power, ie deep black but still lousy contrast ?

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds

Last edited by dreamer; 03-20-2019 at 03:45 AM.
post #19 of 70 Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
... I've read the PC and PR reviews of the M6 and did not see any notes on full on/off contrast. ...
Here's how projectorcentral.com answered a question about the AAXA M6 review of why they don't measure actual ANSI contrast:

Quote:
Posted Dec 31, 2018 12:49 PM PST

By Rob Sabin, Editor

Hi Ron. My predecessor Evan Powell discussed in an article a while ago the issues with attempting to measure true checkerboard ANSI contrast with any projector -- short of a dedicated 100% dark light cave in which to recreate a true blackout condition you can't rely on anything even remotely characteristics of consistent results. And I could argue that even ANSI fails to properly recreate meaningful results that mimic typical viewing conditions.

And as for any numbers claimed by a manufacturer for contrast ratio -- whether full on/off or native/dynamic...take it with a grain of salt. These figures are really only useful for comparing one model from another in a particular manufacturer's line-up.
post #20 of 70 Old 03-20-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Here's how projectorcentral.com answered a question about the AAXA M6 review of why they don't measure actual ANSI contrast:
Yes, I read that. I guess I am the only person on the planet who values a completely black screen when it is supposed to be completely black. FOFO is not a useless measurement if the reader understands what it means.

It does not answer my question about RGB LED light engines, either. Are they capable of adjusting brightness percentages lower than lamps (30%) and has any manufacturer including AAXA implemented such brightness control including complete shut down for intra-scene transitions, ie FOFO. It seems like reviews should mention this if it is something that LED light engines can do but lamp based engines cannot.

Even when it comes to Dynamic Black lamp dimming, a UHP lamp that is dimmed is (or maybe not) still producing the same relative proportions of Red Green and Blue along with many other colors (which then need a color wheel to filter out). There should be an advantage of RGB LEDs that are producing only specific wavelengths and can control the brightness of each color individually, but it would require some tweaking of the TI Dynamic Black algorithm, so why is there no mention of this in their M6 review ?

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #21 of 70 Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know the specifics about how far current projector LEDs can be dimmed using Dynamic Black lamp dimming. I know that the earliest LED house lamps I bought were not capable of being dimmed but the latest ones I bought can be dimmed to <10% of maximum brightness. I expect that projector LED technology will continue to advance as LED projectors take more significant market share from UHP lamp projectors. As that happens TI will certainly put more effort into optimizing their chips for improved LED performance. I'm pretty bullish on LEDs in general and will consider an LED projector for my next upgrade as long as the price/performance continues to improve to a level that suits my preferences.
post #22 of 70 Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5307 Post(s)
Liked: 5605
it's interesting they are including an extra green LED. This is likely how they are claiming 1500 lumens, it probably a heavy green torch mode setting.

I'd guess around 700-800 lumens @ D65. even so, this might be a nice replacement for my LG PF1500 which has been running perfect for 3+ years with a lot of use.
post #23 of 70 Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it's interesting they are including an extra green LED. This is likely how they are claiming 1500 lumens, it probably a heavy green torch mode setting. ...
It's actually RGBB so two blue LEDs.
post #24 of 70 Old 03-24-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5307 Post(s)
Liked: 5605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It's actually RGBB so two blue LEDs.
Hi, thanks I see that in the specs page. That is odd they are advertising 2 green LED's in their marketing info.

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/4k1...projector.html

Is anyone on this thread getting one? it looks like a good replacement for my PF1500. I'm expecting sub 1000:1 native but that's ok for what I'll be using it for.
post #25 of 70 Old 03-24-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, thanks I see that in the specs page. That is odd they are advertising 2 green LED's in their marketing info.

http://www.aaxatech.com/products/4k1...projector.html ...
Likely some creative graphics person in the marketing department who knows nothing about projectors created the image with two green instead of two blue LEDs, no one in the marketing department approval process knew any better and no one in engineering was given a chance to sign off on it.
post #26 of 70 Old 03-24-2019, 06:20 PM

...but the PCB on the other green LED is different & the Ecap near the header is placed different fro the rest...well just my observation lol

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #27 of 70 Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would expect performance similar to the Optoma UHL55.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #28 of 70 Old 03-27-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
I would expect performance similar to the Optoma UHL55.
It looks like we have several players in the 4K pico LED arena:

1. AAXA 4K1 ($1000)

2. Optoma UHL55 ($1600)

3. JmGO X3 ($1150)

4. XGIMI RS Pro 4K LED (TBD)

I've had a pretty good experience in the past with various AAXA projectors (P300, P300 NEO, "HD Pico", etc.), but the JmGO X3 might be a good contender as well:

https://www.myfirstprojector.com/jmg...r-review/6098/
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #29 of 70 Old 03-27-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

These Pico should be priced at $600,otherwise what's the point of them especially Optoma. Too expensive to have it as a backup projector and not that bright among other things to have it as dedicated HT.
scottyroo likes this.
post #30 of 70 Old 03-27-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
These Pico should be priced at $600,otherwise what's the point of them especially Optoma. Too expensive to have it as a backup projector and not that bright among other things to have it as dedicated HT.
My first LED projector was a 500-lumen Viewsonic back in 2012, which I later upgraded to the 800-lumen model. I feel like 800 lumens is really the minimum you need to have a solid big-screen (100"+) experience with an LED projector. I've installed a ton of XGIMI H1's & H2's for family, friends, and small businesses over the last few years, ever since H1 debuted, with great results! My brother is running a 160" screen with his XGIMI & it looks absolutely phenomenal in his basement HT. They are not like the old crappy tiny LED projectors were/are; the newer pico-class LED projectors have come a long way over the last five years or so. Most are still far from perfect (lack of a zoom lens in most models, lag in some of those without game mode, etc.), but they are plenty bright & work great for home theater usage. I've been extremely happy with many of the models I've personally owned! If you haven't had a chance to check out something like the XGIMI H2-Aurora, then it's definitely worth seeing in person if you get the opportunity!
wheelee likes this.

Last edited by Kaido; 03-27-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page