• 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 70
BenQ HT3550 or Epson 4050UB?

I tried searching but did not see an answer to the following. I am going to be in there market for a new projector in the next few months. I currently have a completely light controlled theater and a BenQ HT1070a. Prior to this I had the W1070. So I have typically had lower end entry level machines.

I am about to build a new house. My new media room will be on the first floor. I plan on black out shades and should be able to control light very well in the day and get it completely dark at night. Reading all the info on this HT3550 I am had been thinking this would be a logical upgrade path from where I am at as I am looking to get into 4k. However I have expanded my research I have read a lot about the Epson 5040UB. The price right now on the Epson is down to $1999 and includes a mount and an extra bulb, effectively bring it down to about 17-1800. I know its faux 4k but do the other features and PQ elements make it a much better product? $500 is not a huge difference in price for something I am going to own for several years minimum. If blacks and contrast are clarity are much better I might look at the epson. One thing with my current and past projectors is of course not the best blacks or contrast when dealing with dark scenes.

EDIT: talking about Epson 5040UB. Thread title is wrong.

Last edited by marjen; 03-21-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Both will be very nice upgrades. I personally would go with the 3550, but keep researching since you have it narrowed down and you will eventually come to your own answer.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
If your room is truly light controlled, IE no white surfaces like a white ceiling then you want a high contrast projector. Save your money up for a Epson 5050ub, Sony or JVC. If you have a white ceiling and have no use for the power lens shift of the 4010/50 I would most likely opt for the BenQ. It won't give you any better black level then your HT1070a but hits high marks for everything else. The Epson may have better contrast but not sure as I would love to see a side by side shoot out between these two in a good blacked out room so contrast isn't compromised by white surfaces. Note that the 4010 is the identical projector without the spare lamp in a white case.
noob00224 likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So has there really been no progress in black levels or contrast in these DLPs in the last couple of years? If so thats disappointing.

As far as the space, the front wall will be black. The walls are going to be a medium grey and the ceiling most likely a light grey. Do you really need all dark walls and ceiling to take advantage of a higher contrast projector?
post #5 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
The new crop of XPR 4K projectors are actually worse in contrast then your DC3 chip in your HT1070a. The BenQ T3550 is one of the first ones to have a dynamic iris so at least its dynamic contrast is improved. No you don't NEED a blacked out room to take advantage of a higher contrast projector but it is the only way for the projector to meet its full potential.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow seems like they have been spinning their wheels for awhile in the contrast area.

I have been doing more research and now I am seeing some more advantages to something like the 5040UB.

1. According to projector central it will be MUCH brighter than the HT3550. I would prefer a brighter image. At 63x112 the HT3550 would put out 17fl and basically need to be in a dark room. The 5040UB would put out around 45fl for the same size.
2. The 4050UB would allow me to do a constant screen height 2.35 screen and use the presets to set up a 2.35 screen and a 1.78 screen with the touch of a button. Even zoomed to the 2.35 size it would still put out 32fl. This is something I have had some interest in but could never do with my W1070 or Ht1070a.
3. The epson would have better input lag for gaming.

I have read that moving the screen down from the ceiling would help negate negative effects of a light ceiling. Originally I was thinking of starting 12" from ceiling but if it helps I will move it to 18". That would still put me about 33" off the floor so I could have my front speakers at a decent (though not ideal) height.

I am however VERy worried about the power issue users are experiencing with the epson.

Last edited by marjen; 03-21-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Unless you are an avid gamer, I would stay away from DLP projectors. Their contrast is abysmal
post #8 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am a gamer and have used nothing but DLP projectors so far. Would like to see what an LCD could do with contrast and black levels.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
I am a gamer and have used nothing but DLP projectors so far. Would like to see what an LCD could do with contrast and black levels.
Go with the Epson 5040UB. You will be covered by warranty until the next generation of projectors is released.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-22-2019, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
I tried searching but did not see an answer to the following. I am going to be in there market for a new projector in the next few months. I currently have a completely light controlled theater and a BenQ HT1070a. Prior to this I had the W1070. So I have typically had lower end entry level machines.

I am about to build a new house. My new media room will be on the first floor. I plan on black out shades and should be able to control light very well in the day and get it completely dark at night. Reading all the info on this HT3550 I am had been thinking this would be a logical upgrade path from where I am at as I am looking to get into 4k. However I have expanded my research I have read a lot about the Epson 5040UB. The price right now on the Epson is down to $1999 and includes a mount and an extra bulb, effectively bring it down to about 17-1800. I know its faux 4k but do the other features and PQ elements make it a much better product? $500 is not a huge difference in price for something I am going to own for several years minimum. If blacks and contrast are clarity are much better I might look at the epson. One thing with my current and past projectors is of course not the best blacks or contrast when dealing with dark scenes.

EDIT: talking about Epson 5040UB. Thread title is wrong.
Absolutely go with the 5040. Why go with an 8 million pixel projector with 18GB input bandwidth when you could go with a 4 million pixel projector with only 10GB input bandwidth ? Who cares that the Epson will throw away half the image in a 4k UHD source ? Who really needs all that extra resolution and color bandwidth ?

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #11 of 18 Old 03-22-2019, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Absolutely go with the 5040. Why go with an 8 million pixel projector with 18GB input bandwidth when you could go with a 4 million pixel projector with only 10GB input bandwidth ? Who cares that the Epson will throw away half the image in a 4k UHD source ? Who really needs all that extra resolution and color bandwidth ?
This is sarcasm right?
post #12 of 18 Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The 5050UB has an 18GB chip. As for the power issues, it's unclear if it has been fixed, although this was a serious issue with the 5040 so hopefully Epson has done away with it. You could get extended warranty on it, just to be sure.
This unit has low lag, a plus for gaming.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Well there is certainly more than just pixels at play in PQ.

Lower input lag for gaming is a plus. Also I could really use the extra lumens. I tried watching a 3D movie for the first time in a long time last night. I had to switch back to 2D it was just way too dark on my HT1070A. The Epson looks to be much brighter than the new BenQ. Also the ability to do a contrast height screen would be great as the Epson has motorized zoom and multiple presets.

Honestly if it was not for the widespread reports of the failing power supply I would be all over the Epson 5040. But its really making pause. Especially since my theater room will not be ready until at least October. I would waste a lot of the warranty with the unit sitting in a box. But the price point right now is just really good that it makes it tempting.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-22-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Well there is certainly more than just pixels at play in PQ.

Lower input lag for gaming is a plus. Also I could really use the extra lumens. I tried watching a 3D movie for the first time in a long time last night. I had to switch back to 2D it was just way too dark on my HT1070A. The Epson looks to be much brighter than the new BenQ. Also the ability to do a contrast height screen would be great as the Epson has motorized zoom and multiple presets.

Honestly if it was not for the widespread reports of the failing power supply I would be all over the Epson 5040. But its really making pause. Especially since my theater room will not be ready until at least October. I would waste a lot of the warranty with the unit sitting in a box. But the price point right now is just really good that it makes it tempting.
Absolutely. There probably wasn't anything in the half image the Epson throws away that you cared about anyway. A bright image with good contrast will be fine as long as you sit far enough away. Remember how great those old tube 27" TVs looked from 10 feet away when you were a kid ? Very bright and those CRTs sure had great contrast ! You didn't know how much resolution you were missing compared to a commercial cinema and ignorance was BLISS !

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #15 of 18 Old 03-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Here's a report on the HT3550 and it is significantly improved over the W1070:

http://cine4home.de/test-benq-w2700-...g-kommt-es-an/

and the production models will be better yet.

For less than the cost of a UB5050, you could get a HT3550 for cinema and an inexpensive 1080P projector for gaming
post #16 of 18 Old 03-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
wow seems like they have been spinning their wheels for awhile in the contrast area.

I have been doing more research and now i am seeing some more advantages to something like the 5040ub.

1. According to projector central it will be much brighter than the ht3550. I would prefer a brighter image. At 63x112 the ht3550 would put out 17fl and basically need to be in a dark room. The 5040ub would put out around 45fl for the same size.
2. The 4050ub would allow me to do a constant screen height 2.35 screen and use the presets to set up a 2.35 screen and a 1.78 screen with the touch of a button. Even zoomed to the 2.35 size it would still put out 32fl. This is something i have had some interest in but could never do with my w1070 or ht1070a.
3. The epson would have better input lag for gaming.

I have read that moving the screen down from the ceiling would help negate negative effects of a light ceiling. Originally i was thinking of starting 12" from ceiling but if it helps i will move it to 18". That would still put me about 33" off the floor so i could have my front speakers at a decent (though not ideal) height.

I am however very worried about the power issue users are experiencing with the epson.

what about the sony 45es?
post #17 of 18 Old 03-27-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Go with the Epson. Much better contrast. DLP projectors (besides rainbow effects) just can't hold a light (sorry-no pun intended) to the Epson.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I have a BenQ HT3550 on order right now. With the delay in shipping, I've been looking at alternatives to the BenQ with the obvious being the Epson 4010/4050. I'm coming from an Epson 3850 which I've enjoyed for the past 7 years. I hope there are some actual comparisons within the next couple weeks to make the decision easier. At this point, I'm going forward with the BenQ unless something damning comes out. I feel that the Epson's inability to do 4k at 60hz is a shortcoming that puts it behind the most current technology. I'm also looking forward to the clarity of DLP. My Epson was pretty good, but there were still convergence issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page