New Benq 2050A not as good as old W1070 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-22-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 14
New Benq 2050A not as good as old W1070

I have had a BenQ W1070 projector for over 3 years. It was working great until the lamp blew at around 2500 hours. I am projecting to 150 inch screen from approximately 13 feet away so I am very limited in the projectors that can do this.

Yesterday I bought a brand new HT2050A (with 96% calibration) projector to replace the W1070 expecting it to be similar if not better than the previous one.

However on the new projector the colors look a bit dull on cinema mode. And way too bright on vivid or game mode. Am I missing something here? I have tried to play around with the settings a lot, but overall colors are just looking dull compared to what I am used to. Should not that HT2050A be similar if not better to the W1070? Or are the different products overall? I use the projector mostly for movies and TV, no gaming.

My Setup:
1. AVR: Denon X 3100 receiver + minidsp 2x4HD for subs
2. Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's (Front 3) with 2x In wall speakers for rear
3. Subs: 2x SVS PC-12
4. Benq 1070 projector with 150" Silver Ticket Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
The HT2050A should be better in all respects. It should even be better right out of the box, although "cinema" mode is more muted on the HT2050A than on the W1070 so you should do any tweaking to Vivid mode and use test patterns to do that. If it isn't better, then return it and get a different unit. It could be that you got one with a misaligned lamp or lens. If it isn't really "new" but "refurbished" then you may have purchased a unit that was returned by somebody else as defective.

Find my review where I compared the two side by side.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #3 of 4 Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
The HT2050A should be better in all respects. It should even be better right out of the box, although "cinema" mode is more muted on the HT2050A than on the W1070 so you should do any tweaking to Vivid mode and use test patterns to do that. If it isn't better, then return it and get a different unit. It could be that you got one with a misaligned lamp or lens. If it isn't really "new" but "refurbished" then you may have purchased a unit that was returned by somebody else as defective.

Find my review where I compared the two side by side.
Thanks. I will try the vivid mode and mess around with that. Another thing I noticed today is when watching sports for example I was watching the NBA game there was a lot of stuttering when the game is moving fast. If anything I expected the HT 2050 to deal with motion better. I have a feeling I might have a defective unit. I will experiment with it more. I bought it brand-new from Fry's. Manufacture date is November 2018.

My Setup:
1. AVR: Denon X 3100 receiver + minidsp 2x4HD for subs
2. Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2's (Front 3) with 2x In wall speakers for rear
3. Subs: 2x SVS PC-12
4. Benq 1070 projector with 150" Silver Ticket Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002 View Post
I have had a BenQ W1070 projector for over 3 years. It was working great until the lamp blew at around 2500 hours. I am projecting to 150 inch screen from approximately 13 feet away so I am very limited in the projectors that can do this.

Yesterday I bought a brand new HT2050A (with 96% calibration) projector to replace the W1070 expecting it to be similar if not better than the previous one.

However on the new projector the colors look a bit dull on cinema mode. And way too bright on vivid or game mode. Am I missing something here? I have tried to play around with the settings a lot, but overall colors are just looking dull compared to what I am used to. Should not that HT2050A be similar if not better to the W1070? Or are the different products overall? I use the projector mostly for movies and TV, no gaming.

Did you try turning off brilliant color? I know it doesn’t make any sense but generally brilliant color makes the picture brighter while making the colors less saturated. Also changing the hdmi setting to limited might help too. I from everything I’ve read on this forum the 2050a is a slight improvement in every way over the older models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page