Efficient, quick and quiet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Efficient, quick and quiet?

I currently have a Panasonic PT-AE7000U which is about 7 years old, and for the last 5 years has had loud fan noise, and the last few months has had green lines running down the screen, and have always been annoyed by how long it takes to turn on and turn off, and how much energy it uses, and am thinking of replacing it.

Would greatly appreciate recommendations for a home theater projector that:
*Is energy efficient and turns on and off quickly!
*Is quiet
*Is great for showing HD sports and action movies in a dark room
*Projects onto a 100" screen from ~16 ft away, ceiling mounted, HDMI
*Ideally less than $2,000, and reasonably future-proof (though I don't have 4K today)

It seems that an LED projector would be ideal, but haven't been able to find any high quality home theater versions. And what about laser?

Any/all suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
check your filter

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Fast on/off is led/laser only there are plenty of options really except finding the quiet ones... db rating as well as when someone said "it's pretty quiet" generally all subjective and dependent on the environment and projector placement. For example I have gone from front projector which was right above my head to UST which sits further away by the wall, they both probably make as much noise if you stand right next to them, but since UST projector is further away I don't notice it during regular movie watching, while the front projector was always noticeable even running in ECO mode.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
The Epson 4010 is really the perfect projector to fit your room. It fits all your parameters except fast on/off. For fast on/off you'll need laser so up your budget by at least $1k to find anything even close to comparable.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks!

Cleaning the air filter did help with the fan noise (should have thought of that myself!), so if I can figure out how to get rid of the occasional vertical green line, then the only reason to upgrade would be to get fast on and off. So questions are:

*Would replacing the lamp fix the occasional green line problem? Or any other suggested fixes?

*For a good laser or LED version, if I'm willing to move the mounting point, spend a little more, or wait for one to come out, what are the best options folks know of?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Replacing the lamp won't fix the green line problem. Reseating the connectors on the LCD panels will be your best bet but of course it might make it worse as these connectors are fragile.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page