40 plus foot ...HDMI cables to projector. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 127
40 plus foot ...HDMI cables to projector.

Instead of trying to wade myself through the cable threads figured I would try and get an answer right from the horses mouth.

I may be starting to have, or have intermittent signal interruptions between the projector and the processor (yes I've checked everything else. )...so thought I'd look into a new cable....currently have a 50' for the last few years without problems, oddly back then there appeared to be only 35' then a jump to 50' but I really only needed 40' .

So for all you under $3000 projector users what are you using longer....40 plus foot ...HDMI cables?
Now there appear to be quite a few 40' plus to choose from on Amazon but which one ...Checking reviews they all appear to have the same percentage of positive and critical customer feed back regardless of price.
As I'm in an apartment I'm running along the front wall from the component rack, side wall and then along the back wall and up to the projector....so flexibility would be nice but reliability proceeds all else.

Also I'm in Canada so prices are a little wacky...one that is $20 on Amazon.com is listed as $70 on Amazon.ca ....so really hard to know what's best in terms of pricing and dependability, although I'm sure most are all the same.

Last edited by rob80b; 03-30-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I've used a Monoprice "Cabernet" 45' for about two years now with zero issues. I was impressed with their options, price, and lifetime warranty. It was the first cable with chips at both ends that I have used. Just over $40 US shipped. It replaced a custom ordered Belkin I ordered in 2004 that cost me well over $250 which also performed without issues even when I upgraded from my first projector to a 1080. I imagine that a direct order from Monoprice plus customs costs would still be a decent deal for you. Might be worth a look and phone call. Good Luck.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 03-30-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #3 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 59
There are pricier optical HDMI cables or you could consider going wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
+ 1 Cabernet https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12959

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #5 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Monoprice look good but are pricier in Canada....shipped direct they use a courier as opposed to the post for their smaller cables so we incur the duties and courier brokerage fees.
There are also the super affordable C&E cables with decent feedback...oddly the same cable appears to sell for multiple prices through Amazon......

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019ILS1PC/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.ca/Supports-Ether...tronics&sr=1-5

Amazon Basics have also received positive accolades but come in at 35' (too short) and then jump to 50'

Then there is a question of gauge.....the Cabernet comes in 28 or the thicker 24AWG.
post #6 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Instead of trying to wade myself through the cable threads figured I would try and get an answer right from the horses mouth.

I may be starting to have, or have intermittent signal interruptions between the projector and the processor (yes I've checked everything else. )...so thought I'd look into a new cable....currently have a 50' for the last few years without problems, oddly back then there appeared to be only 35' then a jump to 50' but I really only needed 40' .

So for all you under $3000 projector users what are you using longer....40 plus foot ...HDMI cables?
Now there appear to be quite a few 40' plus to choose from on Amazon but which one ...Checking reviews they all appear to have the same percentage of positive and critical customer feed back regardless of price.
As I'm in an apartment I'm running along the front wall from the component rack, side wall and then along the back wall and up to the projector....so flexibility would be nice but reliability proceeds all else.

Also I'm in Canada so prices are a little wacky...one that is $20 on Amazon.com is listed as $70 on Amazon.ca ....so really hard to know what's best in terms of pricing and dependability, although I'm sure most are all the same.
For that kind of length run, you should look at HDMI over CAT5e/CAT6. It takes the guess work out of finding long run HDMI cables that work and will easily support 4K HDCP 2.2.
Todd G. likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
For that kind of length run, you should look at HDMI over CAT5e/CAT6. It takes the guess work out of finding long run HDMI cables that work and will easily support 4K HDCP 2.2.
Hey..I like that idea...hadn't actually considered it.
Do I just need the adapters?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
post #8 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

With regards to Cat5/6 HDMI..appears they have their own problems...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...e-posting.html
....although I've done a number of ethernet runs for computer setups I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the HDMI to know all the pitfalls...with in-wall installations it appears the way to go.....
Although I see some are using two runs of Cat 5......needed for the bandwidth?
Again this for a living room/home theater in an apartment.
I still see the HDMI connector as the Achilles heel.
post #9 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use the following:

Fiber HDMI Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 50 feet Light Speed HDMI2.0b Cable

I run a cable from my main floor PC to a receiver in the basement (50ft), and from the receiver to the projector (40ft). No problems.
sparky7 likes this.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdon15 View Post
I use the following:

I run a cable from my main floor PC to a receiver in the basement (50ft), and from the receiver to the projector (40ft). No problems.

Sorry, not familiar with "Fiber HDMI Cable"?
post #11 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I also use a fiber HDMI cable, "Furui" brand as sold on Amazon. It works great at 75'.

Basically the cable itself is fiber optic and it includes a transmitter on the source end and a receiver on the projector end, built into the HDMI plug. I'm super happy with it (and you avoid the extra boxes of doing it over CAT5/6.
post #12 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanjoey2 View Post
I also use a fiber HDMI cable, "Furui" brand as sold on Amazon. It works great at 75'.

Basically the cable itself is fiber optic and it includes a transmitter on the source end and a receiver on the projector end, built into the HDMI plug. I'm super happy with it (and you avoid the extra boxes of doing it over CAT5/6.

Still a bit hazy...if it's this one

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FURUI-HD...r=8-3-fkmrnull
I might be mistaken but it still appears to be a regular HDMI cable but at a premium price.....the ends as shown look like something is added, not sure what but they're not "fiber optic".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 3.25.51 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	2546436  
post #13 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Still a bit hazy...if it's this one

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-FURUI-HD...r=8-3-fkmrnull
I might be mistaken but it still appears to be a regular HDMI cable but at a premium price.....the ends as shown look like something is added, not sure what but they're not "fiber optic".
I'm not sure what's unclear. A regular "premium" HDMI cable absolutely does not work at those lengths and data rates. The description of the product is clear, it's a fiber optic cable with transceivers built into the ends. I certainly wouldn't suggest buying short lengths, that'd just be silly, but I was unable to find "regular" HDMI cables that worked at much more than 30', let alone 50' at high data rates.

Are you suggesting that they do something other than what they state in the product description to make it work? Sorry, just a little confused! Did you think I meant the connectors are fiber optic? That's clearly not the case, it's converted inside the cable ends for the transmission. If you google around you'll see there are other similar products from bigger manufacturers, but at more like $300-400.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Hey..I like that idea...hadn't actually considered it.
Do I just need the adapters?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Quote:
With regards to Cat5/6 HDMI..appears they have their own problems...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...e-posting.html
....although I've done a number of ethernet runs for computer setups I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the HDMI to know all the pitfalls...with in-wall installations it appears the way to go.....
Although I see some are using two runs of Cat 5......needed for the bandwidth?
Again this for a living room/home theater in an apartment.
I still see the HDMI connector as the Achilles heel.
Yes, but I would go with a better adapter from J-Tech, Sewell, or AV Access that's 4K HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant. The higher end adapters are bi-directional, support ARC, 18Gbps, HDR, etc. A lot has changed since that thread started.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1f188adb355054

The HDMI over Fiber is fiber optic with a similar adapter terminations. It's also very good and can run longer distances than Ethernet CAT 5,6,7.
post #15 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I use this cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...a7018e0a1c0e0b

The 50' length is $159. I've never had a problem with it.
JonfromCB likes this.
post #16 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what's unclear. A regular "premium" HDMI cable absolutely does not work at those lengths and data rates. The description of the product is clear, it's a fiber optic cable with transceivers built into the ends. I certainly wouldn't suggest buying short lengths, that'd just be silly, but I was unable to find "regular" HDMI cables that worked at much more than 30', let alone 50' at high data rates.

I've been using and a few people I know 50' HDMI cables for a few years and nothing special just $20 jobbies off Amazon ....it's the long durability of the cable and connectors I'm more concerned about...5 to 10 years.
Still not convinced about these hybrids..."fiber optic cable with transceivers built into the ends"...I'll need to look into them a bit further.

Last edited by rob80b; 03-30-2019 at 04:12 PM.
post #17 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
I've been using and a few people I know 50' HDMI cables for a few years and nothing special just $20 jobbies off Amazon ....it's the long durability of the cable and connectors I'm more concerned about...5 to 10 years.
Still not convinced about these hybrids..."fiber optic cable with transceivers built into the ends"...I'll need to look into them a bit further.
Those 20' cables won't reliably carry 4k over 25', let alone 50'. If you only care about 1080p then you can try cheaper cables.

Hybrid fiber optic cables are what most people I know use for long runs in dedicated home theaters. They are less expensive than equivalent Cat6 options while supporting the full 18 Gbps bandwidth require for HDMI 2.0b features such as 4k 60 fps content and not requiring any external adapters or power supplies. I use the Monoprice product but Ruipro is also a highly respected brand:

Monoprice 50' (I use this one):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS8T2W4

Ruipro 40':
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759CXK4H

Cat6 options may be better in situations where you need to permanently build cable into the wall and can't run a conduit or if I need a really long run like 100'+ - Cat6 cable isn't as likely to need to be swapped out in the future as an HDMI cable is and it can work over longer distances than even the fiber cables.
post #18 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
Those 20' cables won't reliably carry 4k over 25', let alone 50'. If you only care about 1080p then you can try cheaper cables.

I'm still at 1080 so hadn't considered what I may need down the road for 4K...so in these hybrid HDMI cables there is fiber optic for the full 50 feet or just some small convertor at the ends of a standard copper cable?
...not too much info on the web except advertising blurbs from manufacturers and vendors, just want to make sure of the facts before spending more than one needs to.
post #19 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised that HDMI will travel that far without much signal degradation. Any idea on the length limit of a quality HDMI cable?
post #20 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 PM

Rob80b IMHO if you buy a new and simple HDMI cable from a known reliable supplier you'll be fine. Since this thread started today, I looked up some articles about HDMI cables, length signal loss, 4k, frame rates, yada yada yada and learned what I pretty much already knew, which is that cables, quality, and standards vary greatly. I was not surprised to read that that many of the good 1st and 2nd generation HDMI cables will support 12 and 15 bit color and high frame rates even at 50 ft and longer lengths without any issues while other older and some newer cables that had/have poorer quality construction especially at the termination points fail to perform as advertised. Signal loss was a much bigger problem a few years ago than it is now due to improved wire quality and much higher quality separation and connections at the termination points/plugs.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 03-30-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #21 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm still at 1080 so hadn't considered what I may need down the road for 4K...so in these hybrid HDMI cables there is fiber optic for the full 50 feet or just some small convertor at the ends of a standard copper cable?
...not too much info on the web except advertising blurbs from manufacturers and vendors, just want to make sure of the facts before spending more than one needs to.
There is a fiber optic cable for the full length with electronics in each connector end to convert to/from the standard HDMI wired signal.
post #22 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
Rob80b IMHO if you buy a new and simple HDMI cable from a known reliable supplier you'll be fine.
Well that's the problem, who homeowners have bough enough cables to have a "reliable cable guy." This is only a Pro who done this enough would know. Buying from Amazon, heck Amazon doesn't manufacture anything, they too rely on whatever suppliers make available, unless they write in black&white, GUARANTEED 50 FT OPERATION.

I like Monoprice, their pricier cables are written as x length capable. PRICEY, but at least u know what u are getting.
JonfromCB likes this.
post #23 of 39 Old 03-30-2019, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Home theatre installers have been using 50’ plus HDMI cables for a few years now, obviously 4K and HDR have opened up a new can of worms.
But I started this thread knowing that one can use a 50’ cable, I have for a few years without issues but they can eventually fail and I just need a back up and l’m hoping to get feed back on which ones are the most durable from projector users as price is not an indicator.
It’s not rocket science but with every Tom Dick and Harry offering their own cable it’s difficult know which is what with so many choices.
post #24 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I made my recommendation for the fiber optic, I was assuming you wanted a 4K/60Hz future proof option. If all you're looking for is 1080p, then you can get away with one of the cheaper options.

Here is a good thread for 4K suitable cables: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hdmi-2-0b.html
post #25 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I use the following:

I have been considering this or equal product with the same principle from other brands when I move to 4K projector but I'm not familiar with this kind of approach about how it actually works. Does it simply transmit signal by doing electrical signal to optical conversion as it is completely bit to bit (1:1) without doing any sort of conversion to video or audio signal in any way?

I currently use 50 feet (15 meters) long thick high quality HDMI-cable and it works perfectly with 1080p signal but I'm pretty sure it cannot work reliable with 4K.
post #26 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I made my recommendation for the fiber optic, I was assuming you wanted a 4K/60Hz future proof option. If all you're looking for is 1080p, then you can get away with one of the cheaper options.

Here is a good thread for 4K suitable cables: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hdmi-2-0b.html

Sorry about that...should of mentioned I was looking for a "reliable 1080" cable....thanks for the link.
post #27 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
Well that's the problem, who homeowners have bough enough cables to have a "reliable cable guy." This is only a Pro who done this enough would know. Buying from Amazon, heck Amazon doesn't manufacture anything, they too rely on whatever suppliers make available, unless they write in black&white, GUARANTEED 50 FT OPERATION.

I like Monoprice, their pricier cables are written as x length capable. PRICEY, but at least u know what u are getting.
Yep, Totally agree. There is a huge element of common sense that can be applied. Cut out the secondary internet retailers and buy direct from a supplier/manufacturer with a known record of supplying long cables that perform as advertised who will replace it if it doesn't. It's also smart and easy to call Monoprice, Sewell, Belkin and/or others and talk to their "HDMI experts".

I've had HDMI discussions with installers who will tell you it's common for HDMI cables to get bent-up and damaged when they get fished and pulled through walls and around corners or overly bent so the terminals at the source or display are under stress and pressure neither contact point were designed to withstand...or folks will run cheap poorly shielded HDMI cables with and next to existing high voltage wires emitting interference. Really good tough well shielded flexible HDMI cables with much more durable plugs are dirt cheap compared to just a few years ago.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 03-31-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #28 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I think it's now clear, for 1080p you can use regular cables, but for high HDMI data rates you need one of the hybrids...
post #29 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I have been considering this or equal product with the same principle from other brands when I move to 4K projector but I'm not familiar with this kind of approach about how it actually works. Does it simply transmit signal by doing electrical signal to optical conversion as it is completely bit to bit (1:1) without doing any sort of conversion to video or audio signal in any way?
Yes, exactly.
post #30 of 39 Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I think it's now clear, for 1080p you can use regular cables, but for high HDMI data rates you need one of the hybrids...
Nah, not so. HDMI v 2.0 will support 18Gbps at 60hz. If a long run HDMI cable (regardless of version) will support your 4k TV, it will also support your 4k projector. I would be willing to bet that there are no measured verifiable standards for the "hybrids" and all the customer knows for sure are the claims being made by the marketers ...and more importantly they are not and won't be stating how much signal loss and interference is occurring at each connection/conversion point....which is a physical impossibility to avoid. I'm not saying they're snake oil, but I'll guarantee there is signal loss and interference at each connection/junction/conversion box in the signal path of the hybrids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page