Projector advice requested - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-2019, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector advice requested

Aging techie here. I used to try to figure this stuff out by myself, but with small kids, time for hobbies has gotten away from me. I would greatly appreciate the collective wisdom of AVSForum.

Help me pick a projector setup for a mixed-use room in a modern city condo. The room is open, and is about 21 feet wide x 32 feet long. We use 21’x22’ of that for the living and entertainment area. Ceilings are 10’ 6”. We have a lot of ambient light in the daytime, and some ambient light from our condo complex at night.

We do not have a ton of room in the ceiling or walls (about 4” behind the drywall before you hit concrete).

There are a lot of windows on two walls that let in a lot of natural light by day.

We are debating two potential screen placements:
Dropdown screen to cover our windows (see picture)
On the large wall opposite the fireplace. Ideally, we’d hang a projector in the fireplace area
I currently own a Sonos playbar, Sub, and play:1s as surrounds, but open to installing in-wall speakers. I like Sonos because my wife and parents know how to use it. I’d be inclined to keep using their products (including their new Amp, if we had in-wall speakers, even though it would only be 4.1 with a phantom center channel).

Preferences:

Not making this a room where the TV is always on. In fact, in an ideal world, the fact that we watch TV in there would not be obvious. I realize that may not be possible.

Kidproof - no speakers in reach of a toddler. This leads me towards in-walls or wall-mounted speakers

All in budget - $7500, which I was thinking would be broken down roughly as follows:
Projector and screen spending - Up to $6.5K
Audio - another $1000 if needed. If we installed
Thoughts on the feasibility of a drop-down motorized screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Over Windows.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2548626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Projector - Screen on wall.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2548628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements Only.png
Views:	25
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	2548630  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
IMO, you may want to look towards the Epson 5050 as it comes to market, or something from the laser DLP arena.

A motorized, tab-tensioned, ALR screen seems like a must for daytime viewing, but you will still want some curtains for those windows.

I'm struggling here as it almost feels like you want a 85" Sony 900 LCD TV as much as anything else. It will come in under budget and really will do the best job overall in that space. Then, you could go for a lesser expensive projector/screen setup later on if you wanted to.

I'm a huge projector fanboi, but family room setups can be really tough to work with.

I think as ultra-short throw laser projectors really start hitting the market in the next couple of years with matching ALR UST screens, we may see a real difference in that concept, but right now, I would focus on a good TV.

If the goal is to 'hide' things, then (if you own the place) building a soffit for a in-ceiling screen setup is a great way to hide a motorized tab-tensioned screen. But, ALR screens don't deal very well with light coming in directly at it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. We do have a whole set of motor-controlled curtains, but they're not blackout (Hunter Douglas luminettes). They do a great job reducing glare, but do not get rid of enough light for daytime viewing. Our association requires white shades on the windows. Here is a photo (rather than floor plan) of it in the daytime.

Do ALR screens struggle with light coming from the rear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LivingRoom4.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2548978  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 109
With that budget you can totally do laser UST + fixed UST ALR screen. The setup would be much cleaner without having to mount anything unless you want to.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
With that budget you can totally do laser UST + fixed UST ALR screen. The setup would be much cleaner without having to mount anything unless you want to.
I'm totally open to UST+ALRScreen. When you say I wouldn't have to mount anything, what about the ALR screen? Aren't those all fixed frame on the wall?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxIn7 View Post
I'm totally open to UST+ALRScreen. When you say I wouldn't have to mount anything, what about the ALR screen? Aren't those all fixed frame on the wall?
I meant projector you don't have to mount unless you want it out of the way, you could simply place it on a tv stand, although it will have to be low to the ground and about a feet from the wall for 120"+. Of course screen would have to be mounted and for UST it needs to be fixed frame for best results. I don't have ALR screen for mine, but I will get one eventually for my second UST setup. Seems like you can get ALR screens from China under a grand

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
I meant projector you don't have to mount unless you want it out of the way, you could simply place it on a tv stand, although it will have to be low to the ground and about a feet from the wall for 120"+. Of course screen would have to be mounted and for UST it needs to be fixed frame for best results. I don't have ALR screen for mine, but I will get one eventually for my second UST setup. Seems like you can get ALR screens from China under a grand
If you want it to be kid proof you'll want to wall mount the UST and project downward. Here's an example UST laser:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Del...tor-review.htm

and it's bright enough that you don't really need an ALR screen, and I'd be inclined to just paint the wall with a gray screen paint.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
If you want it to be kid proof you'll want to wall mount the UST and project downward. Here's an example UST laser:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Del...tor-review.htm

and it's bright enough that you don't really need an ALR screen, and I'd be inclined to just paint the wall with a gray screen paint.
No doubt, mounting is usually the way to go, but less of necessity then with the front projector. UST projectors are advertised to replace the spot of the tv really

Even in this marketing video they show that all you need is a low profile tv stand though.

I haven't mounted mine and hasn't been problem with kids playing around, but my kids are old enough to know that

Last edited by klas; 04-04-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page