THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1148Likes

post #3331 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
It's basically a motion setting. The higher you put the setting, the more of the Soap Opera effect is seen. I'm curious to see what it does when watching a fast moving sport like football.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yep. I was just looking for your opinion on it. I'll give you a little more time to play around. Thursday Night Football? Or do you need a full Sunday to really dig in? heh heh
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Yep. I was just looking for your opinion on it. I'll give you a little more time to play around. Thursday Night Football? Or do you need a full Sunday to really dig in? heh heh
I'll be watching Thursday Night Football, and I'll report back.

post #3333 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have tried a few HDR best/accurate calibrations posted in this thread and found the color to be quite yellowish, is this normal ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Corcoran View Post
I have tried a few HDR best/accurate calibrations posted in this thread and found the color to be quite yellowish, is this normal ?
Lumens output and color accuracy vary from projectors of the same model. This will greatly affect image quality when trying to apply settings that were calibrated for accuracy for another person's projector. If you are searching for color accuracy and the best image quality either buying the gear to perform a calibration yourself or paying a professional are the only two ways to get it done. Many people are satisfied with generic settings. Others will seek out true calibration.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3335 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to control this via LAN and a harmony remote? (vs. IR)? For the life of me I can't seen to figure out if this is possible.

thanks.
post #3336 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Lumens output and color accuracy vary from projectors of the same model. This will greatly affect image quality when trying to apply settings that were calibrated for accuracy for another person's projector. If you are searching for color accuracy and the best image quality either buying the gear to perform a calibration yourself or paying a professional are the only two ways to get it done. Many people are satisfied with generic settings. Others will seek out true calibration.

Purchasing the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark disc was one of the best investments I made at $40 for my Epson 5050UB's calibration. At first I tried using my old Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc disc which was great for my old Sharp projector but it seemed off the mark for my Epson. Then I tried using settings as stated from various on line reviews. Still no love. The S&M UHD disc got me to where I'm just about spot on with most movies both SDR and HDR AND with no special equipment except my eyeballs and the blue filter from the Benchmark Blu-ray Disc (the UHD version doesn't come with a filter). Bottom line is, one needs to address their own system's requirements as there are too many variables to screen size/material, ambient light, projector light output and the owner's tolerances for some deviation from perfection. Having said all that, I haven't ruled out professional calibration...yet. According to the AVS S&M UHD Benchmark Disc thread the disc is not meant for pixel shifters and seems to be primarily geared towards the LG 65" OLED model types but for me it was an eyebrow-raising find.
dr bill likes this.

Panasonic DP-UB820, Marantz AV7704, Epson 5050UB, Stewart Firehawk 16x9 82"; Amplifiers: Parasound HCA 1000A, Parasound HCA 1206; Speakers: Paradigm Monitor v.4 (R/L/BR/BL) ADP-370 (SS), CC-370 v.4, PW1200 v.4; Power Condition: Adcom ACE 315 & 515, Tripplite HT7300PC & HTRL15UPS; Other Sources: Pioneer CLD-D606 & DVL-919, JVC HR-S9600U; Redmere Elite HDMI cable, Monster Mi.2S speaker cable, Kimber Kable interconnects.

Last edited by fredworld; 09-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #3337 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
Quote:
Although the replies to either dig into calibrating the unit or have it calibrated by a professional are spot on, you can adjust it quick and dirty.

Is the yellow tint mainly on bright scenes? Adjust green gain down.

Is the yellow tint mainly on dark scenes? Adjust green bias down.

Is the yellow tint there no matter what? Adjust green saturation down.

Just record where these settings are and you can always go back to what you have. Hopefully the Epson CMS has these controls available. My memory is foggy here.

post #3338 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Theses settings look really good on my 5050. Have you tried these?

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...tion-settings/

post #3339 of 3545 Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredworld View Post
Purchasing the Spears & Munsil UHD Benchmark disc was one of the best investments I made at $40 for my Epson 5050UB's calibration. At first I tried using my old Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc disc which was great for my old Sharp projector but it seemed off the mark for my Epson. Then I tried using settings as stated from various on line reviews. Still no love. The S&M UHD disc got me to where I'm just about spot on with most movies both SDR and HDR AND with no special equipment except my eyeballs and the blue filter from the Benchmark Blu-ray Disc (the UHD version doesn't come with a filter). Bottom line is, one needs to address their own system's requirements as there are too many variables to screen size/material, ambient light, projector light output and the owner's tolerances for some deviation from perfection. Having said all that, I haven't ruled out professional calibration...yet. According to the AVS S&M UHD Benchmark Disc thread the disc is not meant for pixel shifters and seems to be primarily geared towards the LG 65" OLED model types but for me it was an eyebrow-raising find.
Just got mine in the mail today, and I am reading and highlighting the online manuals as we speak (nerd-alert). Excited to do some basic calibration for $40!
post #3340 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorisdriesen View Post
Hey guys,

I don't wanna read through 111 pages and the search function is not giving me relevant results, so here goes. I currently have an Optoma UHD65 which I'm happy with, but ofcourse we all want the best for the budget we have, and I'm suspecting that the general consensus is that the Epson 6050 (TW9400 in Europe) has (much) better black levels, contrast and colors than my UHD65, while having a negligible difference in sharpness.

Do you know of direct comparisons or other usefull reviews to make my choice easier ? I'm also looking for a shop to do a live comparison. Thanks.
I haven’t seen the UHD65 only the UHD60 which I did a side by side comparison with a Sony HW45es, what I mean by side by side was each projector was feed the same material projecting on to the same screen via a HDMI splitter and with the use of table tennis bats one projected and vice versa to compare. I believe at the time it was a 86” screen and we were about 7 foot from it but from that distance the Sony knocked spots off the Optoma and this was solely down to superior black levels and contrast, this might sound bazar but from that distance the Sony looked to sharper of the two which I can only assume was to do with the afore mentioned things. Needless to say I came home with the Sony.

About 18 months later I switched to the Epson TW9400 though still have the Sony as a back up, the Epson has better blacks though slight but it’s brighter and with 1080p content it throws an equally as good an image as the Sony but when feed a 4K UHD disc it’s leaps ahead.

The only negative I see is that for some who are sensitive to motion blur the Epson isn’t as good as your Optoma so what ever you do I’d suggest trying before you buy. Other than that it’s probably the best sub £3k projector on the market.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #3341 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I haven’t seen the UHD65 only the UHD60 which I did a side by side comparison with a Sony HW45es, what I mean by side by side was each projector was feed the same material projecting on to the same screen via a HDMI splitter and with the use of table tennis bats one projected and vice versa to compare. I believe at the time it was a 86” screen and we were about 7 foot from it but from that distance the Sony knocked spots off the Optoma and this was solely down to superior black levels and contrast, this might sound bazar but from that distance the Sony looked to sharper of the two which I can only assume was to do with the afore mentioned things. Needless to say I came home with the Sony.

About 18 months later I switched to the Epson TW9400 though still have the Sony as a back up, the Epson has better blacks though slight but it’s brighter and with 1080p content it throws an equally as good an image as the Sony but when feed a 4K UHD disc it’s leaps ahead.

The only negative I see is that for some who are sensitive to motion blur the Epson isn’t as good as your Optoma so what ever you do I’d suggest trying before you buy. Other than that it’s probably the best sub £3k projector on the market.
I will probably go see them both live on Saturday, so I'm really interested. Many reviews stated the UHD65 to have a better image with 4K HDR content when compared to the 5040 (at that time), so I was really convinced that the UHD65 was the right choice as I'm only watching 4K discs and HDR where possible. Now with the 5050 it seems like the UHD65 is behind, but I'm not reading that anywhere except here in the Epson thread, which is to be expected probably .

So interested to see if I can have an honest and good comparison on Saturday.
post #3342 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
I will probably go see them both live on Saturday, so I'm really interested. Many reviews stated the UHD65 to have a better image with 4K HDR content when compared to the 5040 (at that time), so I was really convinced that the UHD65 was the right choice as I'm only watching 4K discs and HDR where possible. Now with the 5050 it seems like the UHD65 is behind, but I'm not reading that anywhere except here in the Epson thread, which is to be expected probably .

You will get ones on the DLP threads saying theirs is better, the same on JVC, Sony etc. I always say to anyone interested in buy the Epson to go compare with whatever else you are thinking of buying because it’s the only way you know you are making the right move which ever one you buy. If your intention is to sit quite close to the screen like say 7ft from a 100” screen then I reckon the Optoma would be the better choice as then pixel density becomes key but if you intend to watch from 9-10ft away where the resolution isn’t noticeable then I’d be surprised if the Epson didn’t really impress you.
jorisdriesen likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #3343 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 39
New 5050UB with dead pixel

Removed my 5040UB and installed the new 5050UB today, unfortunately, the new unit has a dead pixel (green dot). Epson is replacing the projector with a new unit via FedEx overnight so I should have it by Monday. Anyone else run into this with their new projector, just a bad roll of the dice on my part?

Pre/Pro: Marantz 8805 AMPS: Outlaw Audio 7700 & Emotiva Gen 3
Spkrs: GoldenEar T-Ref, SC Ref, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4 Sub: SVS SB16 x 2
Display: Epson 5050UB & 110" SI 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond
Blu-Ray: Panasonic DP-UB820-K
post #3344 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2034 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
Quote:

I posted earlier on this. For the record I own neither the Epsons nor the Optomas I mentioned. In my opinion XPR 4K DLPs were never ahead of the 5040UB. Far from it actually. The consensus of the AVS folks that saw the same demo I did was the same. To be fair some of them did own the Epsons, but there were Sony/JVC/Panasonic owners there too. The 5050UB simply moves further ahead performance wise.

Check closely if the reviewers saying the 4K DLP is better than the Epson are also resellers. I'm not saying that all of them would be biased. But the poor contrast of the XPR DLPs is not at all subtle. When you review these units make sure you pick the content. With very bright material the XPR DLP will do well, anything else the washed out grey contrast will show itself in short order. Also make sure the rooms that you demo these in is up to the task. Light pollution will hide the DLPs shortcomings and rob the Epson of part of its strengths.

Luminance67 is not wrong that there is brand bias to be found among some owners. I try my best not to fall into this trap and try to see everything I can by going on home theater crawls and checking out what's new at the local AV shops. In this case I certainly don't have any owners bias and my opinion is that the Epson throws a much better image than the 4K DLPs.
Luminated67 and jorisdriesen like this.

post #3345 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Got this set up with my 150" screen last week. Enjoying it a lot, especially with football season and 4k movies too. Wondering how to start accessing digital media on it? I have an ethernet cable run to it, but I haven't figured out what to do to access prime or netflix or youtube etc. Do I need to purchase a firestick or something as well?

Thanks.

Oh, and the instructions show a cover for the area where the cables plug in, but I didn't have anything like that. Did you?

Thanks.
post #3346 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
Removed my 5040UB and installed the new 5050UB today, unfortunately, the new unit has a dead pixel (green dot). Epson is replacing the projector with a new unit via FedEx overnight so I should have it by Monday. Anyone else run into this with their new projector, just a bad roll of the dice on my part?

Sorry that happened to you I'm sure it's very frustrating. I had to Epson 5040 s fail due to power supply issues in that first 18 months. I got a 5050 from Epson as a replacement that was replicating the same issues as my 5040. So after going Ten rounds with Epson I was given a 6050 for all of my troubles.

post #3347 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I'm curious how many people are using tone mapping with either the Panasonic UHD players or using MadVR for their physical 4k/HDR content. Do you see a significant difference when switching over to a streaming service for 4k/HDR content that does no have tone mapping in the display chain?

I'm asking this based on the recent JVC announcement adding dynamic tone mapping to their native 4k units. I thought I was going down the Epson path until I read that announcement and it sparked the above questions.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #3348 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknz View Post
Got this set up with my 150" screen last week. Enjoying it a lot, especially with football season and 4k movies too. Wondering how to start accessing digital media on it? I have an ethernet cable run to it, but I haven't figured out what to do to access prime or netflix or youtube etc. Do I need to purchase a firestick or something as well?

Thanks.

Oh, and the instructions show a cover for the area where the cables plug in, but I didn't have anything like that. Did you?

Thanks.
Did you get a 5050 or 6050. 6050 comes with cable cover. 5050 does not.

Porknz likes this.
post #3349 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
I'm curious how many people are using tone mapping with either the Panasonic UHD players or using MadVR for their physical 4k/HDR content. Do you see a significant difference when switching over to a streaming service for 4k/HDR content that does no have tone mapping in the display chain?

I'm asking this based on the recent JVC announcement adding dynamic tone mapping to their native 4k units. I thought I was going down the Epson path until I read that announcement and it sparked the above questions.
For movies containing the metadata I see much better specular highlights without the blacks being crushed. Overall just a much better HDR presentation. For movies without metadata I feel the need to use the HDR SLIDER on the projector just like with 4K streaming from Vudu, Prime or Netflix and still there are parts to the content where blacks get crushed or specular highlight look blown out missing much of the detail. Honestly if you have the budget and the reviews are good on the JVC Firmware update I would highly consider it. The JVC proprietary algorithm doesn't rely on any metadata and is not confined to one source. All HDR content passed through the projector will receive dynamic tone mapping.

post #3350 of 3545 Old 09-12-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknz View Post

Thanks.

Thanks.
The LAN line to the projector will not access any streaming content since there is not any onboard smart tools on the projector. I assume you are using an AVR. You will need a media player.

post #3351 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im not sure if anyone has ever messed with this .. but i do notice that when using EDID in "Expand" mode on a roku ultra.. it then allows 420 10bit to be sent to epson 5050 .... I had thought that EDID in "expanded" is as same as sony, samsung HDMI "extended and or LG HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color.... am i correct or should i leave this in normal mode? ( reviewed both alaric and PJ reviews and nothing is ever said about that mode)
post #3352 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asolor78 View Post
Im not sure if anyone has ever messed with this .. but i do notice that when using EDID in "Expand" mode on a roku ultra.. it then allows 420 10bit to be sent to epson 5050 .... I had thought that EDID in "expanded" is as same as sony, samsung HDMI "extended and or LG HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color.... am i correct or should i leave this in normal mode? ( reviewed both alaric and PJ reviews and nothing is ever said about that mode)
Expanded is allowing the projector to receive a. 12 bit 4:4:4 signal. This is really designed so that the projector gets all the information for the BT.2020 color format for HDR.

Alaric has his set to normal because of lag time when he switches content/sources. I haven't seen any 12 bit 4:4:4 signal even on UHD discs which are 12 bit 4:2:0.

So Expanded is what you should be using if you want all the colors that the projector is capable of displaying.

The color depth line will depend on the content being viewed. I have include some examples. I can force my Panasonic ub820 to send the projector a 12 bit 4:4:4 signal but the UHD disc is actually 12 bit 4:2:0.

post #3353 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Just ordered my 5050UB, scheduled to arrive on monday, so I'm taking the day off.

feeling kinda.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yeAS11JcYKzo2-A8dk01uy89yCBXqRmkVZxUOnu3-eQ.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	2614854  

Last edited by griffindodd; 09-13-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #3354 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Thanks skylarlove1999, I was really curious what people were doing with different sources. My personal viewing would be mainly disc based 4k, HOWEVER, I know that I would want to watch every bit of 4k and HDR content I could watch, which means streaming sources as well.

And naturally it was just posted that the JVCs may be on sale through licensed dealers....

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #3355 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
Thanks skylarlove1999, I was really curious what people were doing with different sources. My personal viewing would be mainly disc based 4k, HOWEVER, I know that I would want to watch every bit of 4k and HDR content I could watch, which means streaming sources as well.

And naturally it was just posted that the JVCs may be on sale through licensed dealers....
Still very expensive for true 4K JVC . 5050 throws amazing picture especially considering the price point.

Luminated67 likes this.
post #3356 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I bought an Epson 2150 last year as an interim piece until the 5050 came out. I am surprised how decent the picture is for the price.
I am wondering what I will gain by going to the 5050?
The main thing that bothers me is motion blur.
Coming from Plasma and now OLED, it's very noticeable to me. Will this be improved with the 5050 or do I need to move to DLP.

I do have a light controlled room, 106" screen 11' and 14' away.
post #3357 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
So I bought an Epson 2150 last year as an interim piece until the 5050 came out. I am surprised how decent the picture is for the price.
I am wondering what I will gain by going to the 5050?
The main thing that bothers me is motion blur.
Coming from Plasma and now OLED, it's very noticeable to me. Will this be improved with the 5050 or do I need to move to DLP.

I do have a light controlled room, 106" screen 11' and 14' away.
you will not get better motion with the 5050. You will get a much better picture especially HDR. But for those individuals more susceptible to motion blur it will not be improved by purchasing the 5050. DLP will be a step down in contrast and black levels and you might see the rainbow effect. I would check out a DLP in person before you buy.

post #3358 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindodd View Post
Just ordered my 5050UB, scheduled to arrive on monday, so I'm taking the day off.

feeling kinda.....

Congratulations and enjoy

reechings likes this.
post #3359 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 49
When can I expect the priced to go down, or maybe refurbished ones to start showing up?

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500, Onkyo TX-NR656, Klipsch R-28F, Klipsch RC-62II, Klipsch R-14S, Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290, Onkyo TX-RZ610, Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Benq HT2050A, Elite Screens 125" motorized screen, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RP-150M, Klipsch RP-450C , 2 x Klipsch CDT-3800 II for Atmos, Klipsch RW10
post #3360 of 3545 Old 09-13-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
When can I expect the priced to go down, or maybe refurbished ones to start showing up?
Price probably won't be reduced for quite some time. No need to do so due to sales volumes being excellent. Might see a 12.5% discount by Black Friday. MAYBE.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page