THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1197Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #331 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM
Member
 
hnupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is it worth it? Over the 5040?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I'm waiting for this too. I've yet to see anyone who has upgraded from the 5040 to the 5050. As a 5040 owner, I am very happy with it, but I also get the upgrade bug very easily. Part of me wonders if Epson eventually releases a completely different model in the next year or so that is true 4k. The 5040 quickly got caught up with by cheaper DLPs (both with their own pros/cons obviously) and the 5050 is basically the same projector but with a software update and better HDMIs. I can't imagine that Epson is content on being the last to offer true 4k.
LOL...still have not heard anyone say one way or the other? Wonder if the price difference is worth it.
hnupe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post
Yeah, I'm one of the few that had to return the projector due to the hulking size of it. Was too much of an eye sore in my apartment living room. ie it did not pass the wife test. And honesty she's right. Once I have a dedicated space for a theater set up, I can go for an enormous projector. Until then I need something a little less assuming.
Size is relative...to what one is used to...and what has priority...decor or an immersive image/experience. Sometimes, with creativity, the two can co-exist. There are many projector installation in these threads incorporated into very small spaces. Here is an example of a 5040 in a small apartment.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56228794

And another in a dedicate 10' x 10' space with a similar size projector that became Home Theater of The Month!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-co...l#post24071350

In any case...good luck with your pursuit for a dedicated space!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 04-17-2019 at 06:06 PM.
gene4ht is offline  
post #333 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I'm waiting for this too. I've yet to see anyone who has upgraded from the 5040 to the 5050. As a 5040 owner, I am very happy with it, but I also get the upgrade bug very easily. Part of me wonders if Epson eventually releases a completely different model in the next year or so that is true 4k. The 5040 quickly got caught up with by cheaper DLPs (both with their own pros/cons obviously) and the 5050 is basically the same projector but with a software update and better HDMIs. I can't imagine that Epson is content on being the last to offer true 4k.
LOL...still have not heard anyone say one way or the other? Wonder if the price difference is worth it.
I went to avforums, and their model came out several month ago, and it seems if the 5040 is working for you the new version isn't quite worth the upgrade. Some people actually preferred the older model claiming the newer one is louder. I'll probably just wait.
nickoakdl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #334 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Soooooo, is it worth it to upgrade from the 5040 to the 5050?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I'm waiting for this too. I've yet to see anyone who has upgraded from the 5040 to the 5050. As a 5040 owner, I am very happy with it, but I also get the upgrade bug very easily. Part of me wonders if Epson eventually releases a completely different model in the next year or so that is true 4k. The 5040 quickly got caught up with by cheaper DLPs (both with their own pros/cons obviously) and the 5050 is basically the same projector but with a software update and better HDMIs. I can't imagine that Epson is content on being the last to offer true 4k.
For me personally....without getting into specs and capability debates...for the $1000 differential...absolutely not...for a $500 differential...maybe...for a $250 differential...probably. Bottom line, I'm completely happy with the 5040 as my use case is 100% movies...no gaming. The extra 100 lumens is negligible in a light controlled room. IMO, the $1000 is better spent/utilized upgrading other components in the system...receiver, amp, Atmos, speakers, subwoofer, 4K UHD Player, streaming device, etc. Of course, YMMV.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
post #335 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Coming from, and being a very satisfied owner of a 1080p BenQ 2050....

Would I get any type of significant upgrade in black levels buying the 5050ub? Or would I have to dive into a JVC to get that?
I dont need the best of the best in black levels, but in purchasing the 5050ub (of the 5040ub), I would hope to get a noticable difference. I like the specs of these, but have not been able to test them.

130" screen in a 100% light controlled room surrounded in black velvet (virtually zero reflections).
Jstillen2 is offline  
post #336 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstillen2 View Post
Coming from, and being a very satisfied owner of a 1080p BenQ 2050....

Would I get any type of significant upgrade in black levels buying the 5050ub? Or would I have to dive into a JVC to get that?
I dont need the best of the best in black levels, but in purchasing the 5050ub (of the 5040ub), I would hope to get a noticable difference. I like the specs of these, but have not been able to test them.

130" screen in a 100% light controlled room surrounded in black velvet (virtually zero reflections).
You would see a noticeable improvement in the black levels.
Jstillen2 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #337 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
You would see a noticeable improvement in the black levels.
@MidnightWatcher - Thanks for stating what I was hoping for. I think that's enough to make the move. I'll likely enjoy some of the other features as well, being this will be my first projector accepting 4K content.
Jstillen2 is offline  
post #338 of 3859 Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstillen2 View Post
Coming from, and being a very satisfied owner of a 1080p BenQ 2050....

Would I get any type of significant upgrade in black levels buying the 5050ub? Or would I have to dive into a JVC to get that?
I dont need the best of the best in black levels, but in purchasing the 5050ub (of the 5040ub), I would hope to get a noticable difference. I like the specs of these, but have not been able to test them.

130" screen in a 100% light controlled room surrounded in black velvet (virtually zero reflections).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
You would see a noticeable improvement in the black levels.
I'm in agreement with MidnightWatcher...there would be an appreciable improvement in black level. The JVCs enjoy the "best black levels" but only in a bat cave. In other than "bat cave" environments, the black levels of the Epson's are commensurate....where the Epson's will also produce a brighter image...you won't be disappointed.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is offline  
post #339 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Alex512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
My wife and I have an RS1 projecting onto a 119" Dalite High Power 2.8-gain screen (the latter in perfect condition, knock on wood). I'd love to hear what owners of the 5050 and that particular screen have to say about the combo. Do you need sunglasses? Can you have say a reading light on, or a light off to the side, and still get a good image?

Thanks.
Hi Herve, My wife and I also had an RS1 but with a 92” high power pull down. They have recently been replaced with an Epson 5040 and new 100” 1.3 gain UHD fix frame screen. The difference in brightness is the most significant, but everything is better. Resolution, shadow details, colors and without numbers the ansi contrast. The only thing RS1 has over the 5040 is double the contrast (15,000 vs 7,000). It’s noticeable to us only on anamorphic movie bars. With the Epson being as bright as it is though, blacks look deeper on the Epson during normal viewing. The 5040 is only 100 lumens lower than the 5050. So to answer your questions. Yes, I can have ever light on in the room and still comfortable to watch everything but really dark content. The RS1 in comparison couldn’t have any lights on at all. Hope this was helpful. 👍
Alex512 is offline  
post #340 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM
Member
 
keithj101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post
Yeah, I'm one of the few that had to return the projector due to the hulking size of it. Was too much of an eye sore in my apartment living room. ie it did not pass the wife test. And honesty she's right. Once I have a dedicated space for a theater set up, I can go for an enormous projector. Until then I need something a little less assuming.
Size is relative...to what one is used to...and what has priority...decor or an immersive image/experience. Sometimes, with creativity, the two can co-exist. There are many projector installation in these threads incorporated into very small spaces. Here is an example of a 5040 in a small apartment.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56228794

And another in a dedicate 10' x 10' space with a similar size projector that became Home Theater of The Month!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-co...l#post24071350

In any case...good luck with your pursuit for a dedicated space!
Great examples, thanks for sharing! I'm definitely hoping to be able to do projector setup in a Dedicated room at some time. If the epson 5050 was just a bit smaller it would have passed
the wife test. Im just lucky she is cool having a 110 inch screen and surround sound in our living room,ha.
gene4ht and CallingMrBenzo like this.
keithj101 is offline  
post #341 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Herve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex512 View Post
Hi Herve, My wife and I also had an RS1 but with a 92” high power pull down. They have recently been replaced with an Epson 5040 and new 100” 1.3 gain UHD fix frame screen. The difference in brightness is the most significant, but everything is better. Resolution, shadow details, colors and without numbers the ansi contrast. The only thing RS1 has over the 5040 is double the contrast (15,000 vs 7,000). It’s noticeable to us only on anamorphic movie bars. With the Epson being as bright as it is though, blacks look deeper on the Epson during normal viewing. The 5040 is only 100 lumens lower than the 5050. So to answer your questions. Yes, I can have ever light on in the room and still comfortable to watch everything but really dark content. The RS1 in comparison couldn’t have any lights on at all. Hope this was helpful. 👍
Thanks!

Did you try out the 5040 with the HP before you replaced it with your present screen and, if so, what did you think of the image?

Thanks again.
Herve is offline  
post #342 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norther Va
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post
Great examples, thanks for sharing! I'm definitely hoping to be able to do projector setup in a Dedicated room at some time. If the epson 5050 was just a bit smaller it would have passed
the wife test. Im just lucky she is cool having a 110 inch screen and surround sound in our living room,ha.
Any capable, quality unit is going to have a larger size associated with that improved performance. If the Epson is too big I would highly recommend checking out the new Benq HT5550. Its a great piece of kit from all the press and reviews out on it and it seems to be smaller by a decent amount.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #343 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here are my 2 cents,

I just bought the Epson 5050UB on Friday last week and have been using it ever since, My comparison to it was my used since 2013 Optoma HD25 1080p projector with a fresh bulb. The older projector has the DC3 chip and better contrast than the new Benq projectors do natively. I also had a Viewsonic PX-727, 4K with light border for a while and returned it immediately. No amount of sharpness will replace the perceived picture enhancement of contrast and color. The Epson is leaps and bounds better than the Viewsonic or Optoma on 1080p and especially 4K. The black levels in my mostly light controlled room is awesome. Shadow details is great, I just watched the Season Premiere of Game of Thrones from Amazon on the Epson, it looked immaculate, black levels, shadow details, and definition (even though it was a 1080p feed via Apple TV 4K upscaled). I watch on 103" 16:9 Vutec motorized roll down screen with Vu Flex Pro material (don't like tab tensioned look), about 9.5" feet back in a 2 tone brown room with white popcorn ceiling, an area rung that is brown around the viewing area, no native windows, and a carrera white marble floor outside of the area rug for reference. I have a 65" Sony XBR65X950B (behind roll down screen) for comparison of non HDR 1080p and 4K sources and no longer feel the need for it like I did with the Optoma projector, I am that satisfied with the Epson. I have 20/15 vision and am a A/V engineer for a living and have access to all kinds of product but I live with a beer budget by choice. I demonstrate Barco Loki's all day in our dedicated Theater at my job's showroom. These are the things I see daily and still admire what Epson has accomplished at this price point. Attached a picture of my Room for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Theater.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	911.7 KB
ID:	2554806  
[email protected] is offline  
post #344 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Alex512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Thanks!

Did you try out the 5040 with the HP before you replaced it with your present screen and, if so, what did you think of the image?

Thanks again.
No I did not, but tried both on the new screen. I have about 800 hrs on the 5040 so far and to be honest, when the bulb was new with bright scenes or bright flashes we both found it too bright. I never thought I’d say that. Lol
Alex512 is offline  
post #345 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Herve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,609
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex512 View Post
No I did not, but tried both on the new screen. I have about 800 hrs on the 5040 so far and to be honest, when the bulb was new with bright scenes or bright flashes we both found it too bright. I never thought I’d say that. Lol
That being the case with a 1.3-gain screen, you can imagine what the HP's 2.8-gain image would have looked like.
Herve is offline  
post #346 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Alex512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
That being the case with a 1.3-gain screen, you can imagine what the HP's 2.8-gain image would have looked like.
Yeah the retro reflecting aspect of the HP would have brought all of them extra lumens right back to our eyes 👀. The small sparkles on top of the fact that it was a cheap pull down that started to get wavy, making pans of scenes unwatchable, had to go.
Alex512 is offline  
post #347 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 01:46 PM
Member
 
rbk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
LOL...still have not heard anyone say one way or the other? Wonder if the price difference is worth it.
No. IMO it is more to entice those who didn’t want to upgrade to the 5040 because of the power supply fear.
rbk123 is offline  
post #348 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Outstanding

Got mine today, and installed in my custom box I modified (Ikea no less) in less than 3 minutes. Forget mounts. LOVE the auto lens setup. I upgraded from an 8500ub and i was in a trance just watching 1080p content for the first 30 minutes. Fired up my Roku Ultra and 4kHDR is stunning. Next up last is my CIH screen upgrade and I am done! Back to the watching my new 110" OLED I mean PJ!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_144714.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	861.9 KB
ID:	2554964   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_153155.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	848.5 KB
ID:	2554966  
David Sal and CallingMrBenzo like this.

AV since 1980
VideoDrone is offline  
post #349 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Lens memory drift?

Would some owners please speak to lens memory drift on the 5050 - does it exist? The 4010 that I tested would never return to the same place twice. It always required additional manual adjustments when switching between 1.78 and 2.35 saved/learned memory positions.
genesis_avs is offline  
post #350 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis_avs View Post
Would some owners please speak to lens memory drift on the 5050 - does it exist? The 4010 that I tested would never return to the same place twice. It always required additional manual adjustments when switching between 1.78 and 2.35 memory positions.
I have the 5040 and have never had an issue with this.
genesis_avs likes this.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #351 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
seplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Any word on when the 6050UB will be available?
seplant is offline  
post #352 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis_avs View Post
Would some owners please speak to lens memory drift on the 5050 - does it exist? The 4010 that I tested would never return to the same place twice. It always required additional manual adjustments when switching between 1.78 and 2.35 saved/learned memory positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
I have the 5040 and have never had an issue with this.
There was never an issue with lens memory drift...only users unaware of the proper procedure for adjustment. Perform a search in the 5040/6040 thread for Epson’s recommended (obscure) procedure and/or see the link below...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post55838120
Alaric and genesis_avs like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 04-18-2019 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Typo
gene4ht is offline  
post #353 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norther Va
Posts: 883
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Any word on when the 6050UB will be available?


I believe it’s May. What my rep at Magnolia told me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #354 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
utee05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoDrone View Post
Got mine today, and installed in my custom box I modified (Ikea no less) in less than 3 minutes. Forget mounts. LOVE the auto lens setup. I upgraded from an 8500ub and i was in a trance just watching 1080p content for the first 30 minutes. Fired up my Roku Ultra and 4kHDR is stunning. Next up last is my CIH screen upgrade and I am done! Back to the watching my new 110" OLED I mean PJ!


Nice custom box. Been thinking of doing something similar once I figure out which projector to get. What IKEA box did it start as?
David Sal likes this.
utee05 is offline  
post #355 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Magnus_CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I placed my order for a 6050UB and 106" Seymour Ambient Visionaire 1.3 Gain fixed screen yesterday. My first projector setup! I can't wait!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
MidnightWatcher likes this.
Magnus_CA is offline  
post #356 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
LOL...still have not heard anyone say one way or the other? Wonder if the price difference is worth it.
take it for what its worth as it appears to be a dealer who would have a vested interest in selling new units.

Liquid$team is offline  
post #357 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoDrone View Post
Got mine today, and installed in my custom box I modified (Ikea no less) in less than 3 minutes. Forget mounts. LOVE the auto lens setup. I upgraded from an 8500ub and i was in a trance just watching 1080p content for the first 30 minutes. Fired up my Roku Ultra and 4kHDR is stunning. Next up last is my CIH screen upgrade and I am done! Back to the watching my new 110" OLED I mean PJ!
ugh Im so glad I found this post. I also have an 8500ub and I am thinking about upgrading to the 5050. I couldn't be happier with the 8500. Ran perfect for 9 years now and still going strong. Technically it's on it's 3rd lamp but I never reset lamp hours so I don't actually know how many hours are on the 8500 itself.

I can't wait to hear from you specifically on the upgrade. Differences? ect. I use the lens shift on the 8500 through 4 different screen to line everything up and I loved it. I'm sure it will be even cooler with powered shifting. Looking forward to read your thoughts. Thanks
Liquid$team is offline  
post #358 of 3859 Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 PM
Newbie
 
thekyledaley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I just got my 5050ub today and I can't get it to accept a 18gbps signal as advertised. Both my Xbox One X and Nvidia Shield TV will not allow HDR at 4k 60 hz. I have high speed HDMI cables and have hooked both devices up directly to the back of the projector to help eliminate other variables and it simply won't work. My Xbox "TV display info" page states my display is not compatible with 4k HDR at 60 hz and if I switch my Nvidia Shield TV output settings to 60 hz instead of 24 hz, HDR no longer works, it just outputs SDR. This is the main reason I got this projector and I'm quite disappointment that it's not working as advertised. Is anyone else having this issue? Can anyone else confirm they have had a 4k HDR 60 hz signal work with any device? Could I be missing something? Thanks for your thoughts.
thekyledaley is offline  
post #359 of 3859 Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 AM
Senior Member
 
dimi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 247
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 5050 accepts 4K HDR 60Hz only at 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4.
dimi123 is offline  
post #360 of 3859 Old 04-19-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 5050 accepts 4K HDR 60Hz only at 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4.
Unfortunately I don’t have a games console to test this for you, though will ask on the AVForum and get back to you.
dimi123 and thekyledaley like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off