THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1201Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
take it for what its worth as it appears to be a dealer who would have a vested interest in selling new units.

https://youtu.be/Jr4JpVBJkGk
Looks like some dude in his bedroom who is about to sell a few projectors once they "fall" off the back of a truck.
DavidK442 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Looks like some dude in his bedroom who is about to sell a few projectors once they "fall" off the back of a truck.
Seems like an unfair thing to say. He definitely has a vested interest as all dealers do, but to insinuate he is a low quality dealer is irresponsible at best. He had insanely good reviews here in Dallas and from what I hear is super responsive. Just seems like an odd assumption to make without knowing any details.
groggrog and MidnightWatcher like this.
Alex Hindman is offline  
post #363 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:17 AM
Newbie
 
thekyledaley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi123 View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 5050 accepts 4K HDR 60Hz only at 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4.
Here are the compatible signals per the Epson website: https://epson.com/faq/SPT_V11H930020...-8796158601292

It should accept 4k/60hz at 4:4:4, 4:2:2:, and 4:2:0 at 8, 10, or 12 bit and should convert it to a 4:2:2 10-bit HDR signal.
thekyledaley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Member
 
esk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekyledaley View Post
I just got my 5050ub today and I can't get it to accept a 18gbps signal as advertised. Both my Xbox One X and Nvidia Shield TV will not allow HDR at 4k 60 hz. I have high speed HDMI cables and have hooked both devices up directly to the back of the projector to help eliminate other variables and it simply won't work. My Xbox "TV display info" page states my display is not compatible with 4k HDR at 60 hz and if I switch my Nvidia Shield TV output settings to 60 hz instead of 24 hz, HDR no longer works, it just outputs SDR. This is the main reason I got this projector and I'm quite disappointment that it's not working as advertised. Is anyone else having this issue? Can anyone else confirm they have had a 4k HDR 60 hz signal work with any device? Could I be missing something? Thanks for your thoughts.


I don't remember what thread but someone posted a picture of the Xbox 1 testing screen and every box but DV checked.
esk1 is offline  
post #365 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am having my 5050ub installed on Wednesday. I too bought it for the 4k 60hz feature. I downloaded the 143 page manual onto my phone. Here's the support info within that manual. It'd be in your best interest to call and speak to a tech rather than waiting on an armchair technician from this forum.

__________________

Speak to a Support Representative
To use the Epson PrivateLine Support service, call (800) 637-7661. This service is available for the
duration of your warranty period. You may also speak with a projector support specialist by dialing (562)
276-4394 (U.S.) or (905) 709-3839 (Canada).
Support hours are 6 AM to 8 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time,
Saturday.
Days and hours of support are subject to change without notice. Toll or long distance charges may
apply.
Before you call, have the following information ready:
• Product name
• Product serial number (located on the bottom or rear of the projector, or in the menu system)
• Proof of purchase (such as a store receipt) and date of purchase
• Computer or video configuration
• Description of the problem
Gellert is offline  
post #366 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post
Seems like an unfair thing to say. He definitely has a vested interest as all dealers do, but to insinuate he is a low quality dealer is irresponsible at best. He had insanely good reviews here in Dallas and from what I hear is super responsive. Just seems like an odd assumption to make without knowing any details.
After having a better look I see that is a sofa with an egregious number of throw pillows and not a bed.
I was mistaken and have called off the arrest warrant. Thanks man.
sage11x likes this.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #367 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:31 AM
Newbie
 
thekyledaley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
I am having my 5050ub installed on Wednesday. I too bought it for the 4k 60hz feature. I downloaded the 143 page manual onto my phone. Here's the support info within that manual. It'd be in your best interest to call and speak to a tech rather than waiting on an armchair technician from this forum.

__________________

Speak to a Support Representative
To use the Epson PrivateLine Support service, call (800) 637-7661. This service is available for the
duration of your warranty period. You may also speak with a projector support specialist by dialing (562)
276-4394 (U.S.) or (905) 709-3839 (Canada).
Support hours are 6 AM to 8 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time,
Saturday.
Days and hours of support are subject to change without notice. Toll or long distance charges may
apply.
Before you call, have the following information ready:
• Product name
• Product serial number (located on the bottom or rear of the projector, or in the menu system)
• Proof of purchase (such as a store receipt) and date of purchase
• Computer or video configuration
• Description of the problem
I don't expect anyone here to fix my issue but am just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or not? Maybe I missed something while trying the understand the capabilities of this projector. You said you got the 5050 for 4k/60 hz, have you tried it 4k/60 hz HDR signal yet and does it work for you?
thekyledaley is offline  
post #368 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Have you tried different cables?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is online now  
post #369 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 AM
Newbie
 
thekyledaley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Have you tried different cables?
Yeah. I have a couple of different high speed HDMI cables around the house including the one that the Xbox One X came with and none of them help. I even connected each device directly to the projector as to not blame it on my longish HDMI cable run or my receiver.
thekyledaley is offline  
post #370 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 06:54 AM
Newbie
 
thekyledaley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post
I don't remember what thread but someone posted a picture of the Xbox 1 testing screen and every box but DV checked.
I tried to search the forum for anyone else's experience with the 5050 and their xbox one x and couldn't find anything. This is what my xbox is showing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190419_075020.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	2555302  
thekyledaley is offline  
post #371 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Member
 
esk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekyledaley View Post
I tried to search the forum for anyone else's experience with the 5050 and their xbox one x and couldn't find anything. This is what my xbox is showing:


Definitely not what he was showing. It may have been @scottyroo as he got one early.
esk1 is offline  
post #372 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post
Definitely not what he was showing. It may have been @scottyroo as he got one early.
I have an Xbox One X and am testing with the 5050UB... all of the boxes except Dolby Vision are ticked on my unit.
Stephen Opipari likes this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #373 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 07:11 AM
Member
 
esk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I have an Xbox One X and am testing with the 5050UB... all of the boxes except Dolby Vision are ticked on my unit.

That its what I remembered you posting, probably in the rumors thread. Just trying to find the evidence to help @thekyledaley
esk1 is offline  
post #374 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekyledaley View Post
I don't expect anyone here to fix my issue but am just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or not? Maybe I missed something while trying the understand the capabilities of this projector. You said you got the 5050 for 4k/60 hz, have you tried it 4k/60 hz HDR signal yet and does it work for you?
As I mentioned, I am having it installed on Wednesday, as in 5 days from now. I read your post and I'm hoping the error you're getting is easily explained. I know the Epson has a dedicated fiber optic HDMI port. I own one and have it ready for my installation and am now wondering if that's how you'd get the 4K 60hz feature to work. I don't know.
Gellert is offline  
post #375 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
As I mentioned, I am having it installed on Wednesday, as in 5 days from now. I read your post and I'm hoping the error you're getting is easily explained. I know the Epson has a dedicated fiber optic HDMI port. I own one and have it ready for my installation and am now wondering if that's how you'd get the 4K 60hz feature to work. I don't know.
The only port that 4KHDR60 will work is HDMI 1.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #376 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Page 18 of the 5050ub's owner's manual states BOTH HDMI ports 1 and 2 are 4KHDR60 compatible.

Owner's manual linked below.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd56386.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjZptfkv9zhAhURlKwKHfONBiQQ FjACegQIBhAG&usg=AOvVaw06xjq1QczzqEbCn1mPsWlo
Gellert is offline  
post #377 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 185
TechRadar posted a basic review of the 5050UB:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ep...-cinema-5050ub
seplant likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is online now  
post #378 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 09:18 AM
Newbie
 
thekyledaley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hey guys, thanks so much for your input, but I think I figured it out. The projector works fine, it was my fault (as you may have suspected, see the "Newbie" tag below my name).

Basically, when I first set up the projector I wasn't getting any signal so I turned the EDID setting to normal instead of expanded, which gave me video signals from my xbox and Nvidia shield. I wasn't sure what the setting was so I didn't think it was critical for 4kHDR60, but it sure is. So after some trouble shooting, in the end the issue was my HDMI connections and that EDID must be left to expanded. My connections go XBox-receiver-short cable to HDMI keystone jack-30 ft HDMI cable-another HDMI keystone jack to another short cable to my projector. I figured out that my 2 keystone jacks were limiting me from getting the full signal. They worked fine with 4k60 signals and my 5040 but I guess the signal from a full 4kHDR60 signal was just too much for them to handle. I will have to cut holes in my wall plates and use the extra slack in my 30 ft HDMI cable to connect directly from my receiver to my projector and bypass 2 keystone jacks and the short cable runs. It won't look quite as pretty but at least it will work!

Thanks again for your thoughts and I'm off to enjoy my awesome new projector.
MidnightWatcher likes this.

Last edited by thekyledaley; 04-19-2019 at 09:25 AM.
thekyledaley is offline  
post #379 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
As I mentioned, I am having it installed on Wednesday, as in 5 days from now. I read your post and I'm hoping the error you're getting is easily explained. I know the Epson has a dedicated fiber optic HDMI port. I own one and have it ready for my installation and am now wondering if that's how you'd get the 4K 60hz feature to work. I don't know.
The only port that 4KHDR60 will work is HDMI 1.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #380 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
Page 18 of the 5050ub's owner's manual states BOTH HDMI ports 1 and 2 are 4KHDR60 compatible.

Owner's manual linked below.

https://files.support.epson.com/doci...zzqEbCn1mPsWlo
Yep both HDMI are the same

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
post #381 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekyledaley View Post
Hey guys, thanks so much for your input, but I think I figured it out. The projector works fine, it was my fault (as you may have suspected, see the "Newbie" tag below my name).



Basically, when I first set up the projector I wasn't getting any signal so I turned the EDID setting to normal instead of expanded, which gave me video signals from my xbox and Nvidia shield. I wasn't sure what the setting was so I didn't think it was critical for 4kHDR60, but it sure is. So after some trouble shooting, in the end the issue was my HDMI connections and that EDID must be left to expanded. My connections go XBox-receiver-short cable to HDMI keystone jack-30 ft HDMI cable-another HDMI keystone jack to another short cable to my projector. I figured out that my 2 keystone jacks were limiting me from getting the full signal. I will have to cut holes in my wall plates and use the extra slack in my 30 ft HDMI cable to connect directly from my receiver to my projector and bypass 2 keystone jacks and the short cable runs. It won't look quite as pretty but at least it will work!



Thanks again for your thoughts and I'm off to enjoy my awesome new projector.
@Alaric ’s setting have EDID as normal. I would recommend always staying in expanded since normal only supports 10gbps. @Alaric is there a reason you have EDID set to normal in your settings?

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #382 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
vadergr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 53
A nice video showcasing the internals of the european equivalent.


https://youtu.be/5iqj5rn7Wo0

Last edited by vadergr; 04-19-2019 at 01:47 PM.
vadergr is offline  
post #383 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Alaric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
@Alaric ’s setting have EDID as normal. I would recommend always staying in expanded since normal only supports 10gbps. @Alaric is there a reason you have EDID set to normal in your settings?
I'm not running a pc / Xbox etc, just a couple of bluray players and just listed my settings!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
scottyroo likes this.

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
Alaric is offline  
post #384 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Member
 
jnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekyledaley View Post
Here are the compatible signals per the Epson website: https://epson.com/faq/SPT_V11H930020...-8796158601292
It should accept 4k/60hz at 4:4:4, 4:2:2:, and 4:2:0 at 8, 10, or 12 bit and should convert it to a 4:2:2 10-bit HDR signal.
So I see from your additional posts that you have fixed your issue but I am somewhat confused/intrigued regarding what Epson claims it supports and what signal you are actually sending?

I say this because according to the CEDIA and the HDMI Org presentation (slide 44) sources 1 linked below, a 4K/60 4:4:4 10-bit and 12-bit source require a data rate of 20.05Gbps and 24.06Gbps respectively, significantly greater than the HDMI 2.0 spec of 18Gbps. So are the new HDMI interfaces on the Epson 5050UB actually capable of exceeding this 18Gbps limit, i.e. are they technically supporting the low end data rates for HDMI 2.1, even if as Epson note they convert internally to 4:2:2 10-bit. Interested minds want to know :-)

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav...tes-for-4k-hdr
https://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/upl...ntation-EN.pdf
jnation is offline  
post #385 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnation View Post
So I see from your additional posts that you have fixed your issue but I am somewhat confused/intrigued regarding what Epson claims it supports and what signal you are actually sending?

I say this because according to the CEDIA and the HDMI Org presentation (slide 44) sources 1 linked below, a 4K/60 4:4:4 10-bit and 12-bit source require a data rate of 20.05Gbps and 24.06Gbps respectively, significantly greater than the HDMI 2.0 spec of 18Gbps. So are the new HDMI interfaces on the Epson 5050UB actually capable of exceeding this 18Gbps limit, i.e. are they technically supporting the low end data rates for HDMI 2.1, even if as Epson note they convert internally to 4:2:2 10-bit. Interested minds want to know :-)

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav...tes-for-4k-hdr
https://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/upl...ntation-EN.pdf
Hopefully this will help

https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/ima...400-manual.pdf



Only 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 8bit.
jnation likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
post #386 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnation View Post
So I see from your additional posts that you have fixed your issue but I am somewhat confused/intrigued regarding what Epson claims it supports and what signal you are actually sending?

I say this because according to the CEDIA and the HDMI Org presentation (slide 44) sources 1 linked below, a 4K/60 4:4:4 10-bit and 12-bit source require a data rate of 20.05Gbps and 24.06Gbps respectively, significantly greater than the HDMI 2.0 spec of 18Gbps. So are the new HDMI interfaces on the Epson 5050UB actually capable of exceeding this 18Gbps limit, i.e. are they technically supporting the low end data rates for HDMI 2.1, even if as Epson note they convert internally to 4:2:2 10-bit. Interested minds want to know :-)

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav...tes-for-4k-hdr
https://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/upl...ntation-EN.pdf
It's my assumption that those 20/24 GPS speeds are the MAXIMUM and that combined video/audio signals rarely reach close to those specs in real-world viewing.
Gellert is offline  
post #387 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Member
 
jnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Hopefully this will help

https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/ima...400-manual.pdf



Only 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 8bit.
Thanks for posting. For comparison see the attached image below from the HC5050UB User Guide which is consistent with the US Epson support page linked earlier by the other poster. The European version of the guide shows no support for 10/12-bit HDR, the US version does quite explicitly. Maybe just a typo, although that would be a pretty big one, or maybe Epson has used the delay before the US launch to update the HDMI interface, which might be relatively straightforward if a pin compatible drop in replacement chip has become production worthy in the interim?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HC5050UB 4K HDR Specs.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	2555512  
jnation is offline  
post #388 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnation View Post
Thanks for posting. For comparison see the attached image below from the HC5050UB User Guide which is consistent with the US Epson support page linked earlier by the other poster. The European version of the guide shows no support for 10/12-bit HDR, the US version does quite explicitly. Maybe just a typo, although that would be a pretty big one, or maybe Epson has used the delay before the US launch to update the HDMI interface, which might be relatively straightforward if a pin compatible drop in replacement chip has become production worthy in the interim?
I’d be surprised if there’s a difference between them with regards to this at least. Might be a typo.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
post #389 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
ugh Im so glad I found this post. I also have an 8500ub and I am thinking about upgrading to the 5050. I couldn't be happier with the 8500. Ran perfect for 9 years now and still going strong. Technically it's on it's 3rd lamp but I never reset lamp hours so I don't actually know how many hours are on the 8500 itself.

I can't wait to hear from you specifically on the upgrade. Differences? ect. I use the lens shift on the 8500 through 4 different screen to line everything up and I loved it. I'm sure it will be even cooler with powered shifting. Looking forward to read your thoughts. Thanks
Another 8500ub owner ask me about the upgrade so I will give my opinion on that and other general things I noticed.



First I lived with my 8500ub for 8-9 years also, when they first came out also and even recently I’ve had people comment on how good the picture was. So in summary as much as I loved my 8500ub, this thing is in another league, this upgrade was equivalent to when I upgraded my Infocus 5700 to Epson 8500ub, night and day better. BTW, why did Infocus drop the ball on PJ development?



This PJ is should I dare say, maybe too bright? My screen is 110”. Even in Eco mode this thing is a light cannon.



The contrast and punch in the picture even with boring old 1080p is incredible.



It is really quiet in eco and medium brightness.



With medium brightness I can easily get a good punchy picture with my 8 -10 CAN lights on in the large room. I haven’t even tried Bright mode, I might go blind..lol



The 4k 60hz HDR from my Roku just rocks. So on the Roku is the aquarium screen saver and it just looks so good, I mean so good, I find myself watching that for fun, the fish are 3D like. So for comparison on the 8500ub if you look at the moray eel in the cave, there is really no shadow detail at all and I never noticed it until I got the 5050ub



Out the box colors and setting are good/great IMHO, but I’ll let you obsessive types find the ultimate settings, please post, thank you for your effort…smile





Negatives:



Size, its big beast but it is sleek, kind of a big sexy!



Switching back from watching 4k HDR content back to say Netflix menu, there is a delay 4-5 seconds, but I didn’t measure its noticiable.



What I didn’t like is when I first turned on the PJ it was way out of focus, so I could see the on screen meu, and of course I don’t read manuals, so it took me a minute to figure out how to use the LENS button.

AV since 1980
VideoDrone is offline  
post #390 of 3930 Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Videodrone.... much appreciated review/comparison coming from the same projector as me. B&H finally got some in recently but went on passover holiday hours so can't order yet.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
Liquid$team is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off