THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1133Likes

post #751 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Has anyone tried setting up the 5050 on a surface/mount off to the side? Curious to see how well the lens shift works and if there is a difference in picture quality.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
Has anyone tried setting up the 5050 on a surface/mount off to the side? Curious to see how well the lens shift works and if there is a difference in picture quality.

Thanks in advance
I use mine on a bookshelf behind the couch, same setup I had for my 5020. So its surface mount, but its also fairly straight on, maybe off by a foot or so from center. Never had an issue with either as far as picture quality or issues. Also with the motorized setup it it makes it 100x easier to get it exact, using the manual wheels was always hit or miss, you'd move one, the other would move slightly, etc. Now it was <5min to dial in, and since the 5050 has blanking I could even get an exact fit that I never could before. Even though my screen is 16:9 I guess it might have a few extra inches top/bottom, so last night I fixed that with a just a zoom out and blanking on the sides
Sparty1020 likes this.
post #753 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post
I use mine on a bookshelf behind the couch, same setup I had for my 5020. So its surface mount, but its also fairly straight on, maybe off by a foot or so from center. Never had an issue with either as far as picture quality or issues. Also with the motorized setup it it makes it 100x easier to get it exact, using the manual wheels was always hit or miss, you'd move one, the other would move slightly, etc. Now it was <5min to dial in, and since the 5050 has blanking I could even get an exact fit that I never could before. Even though my screen is 16:9 I guess it might have a few extra inches top/bottom, so last night I fixed that with a just a zoom out and blanking on the sides

Thank you! I have the Epson 2040 on a table off to the side of my couch that’s at a pretty steep angle but messing with the keystone I can get it dialed in, just takes forever. Glad to hear the process has gotten easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Question about HDMI reliability. I had my basement finished 3 years ago and at the time thought I bought the best HDMI cable I could but it's around 30 feet so who the hell knows if it will now send a 4K projector signal properly. I don't even begin to know what to do if it doesn't. However, my installers ran a few extra Cat 6 lines as well. I see there are devices for HDMI over Cat 6 such as...
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-HD...tlite+extender

I'm a little out of my depth with this so does anyone know if these devices work properly and you can send a 4K signal over Cat 6 and then use short HDMI cables at either end to complete the connection. Is this a reliable solution? I'm making the jump from the Epson 3700 to some sort of 4K..ish solution later this summer so trying to anticipate problems and plan for solutions ahead of time.
post #755 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
Question about HDMI reliability. I had my basement finished 3 years ago and at the time thought I bought the best HDMI cable I could but it's around 30 feet so who the hell knows if it will now send a 4K projector signal properly. I don't even begin to know what to do if it doesn't. However, my installers ran a few extra Cat 6 lines as well. I see there are devices for HDMI over Cat 6 such as...

I'm a little out of my depth with this so does anyone know if these devices work properly and you can send a 4K signal over Cat 6 and then use short HDMI cables at either end to complete the connection. Is this a reliable solution? I'm making the jump from the Epson 3700 to some sort of 4K..ish solution later this summer so trying to anticipate problems and plan for solutions ahead of time.
My simple solution would be to run a 50 foot fiber optic HDMI cable to replace the one you have now. I just had one installed (through my attic) into my 5050ub from my receiver 30 feet away. Zero issues and I'm taking full advantage of 4K/60hz 18gbps. It cost just $80.
Look up Delong 50' HDMI cable on Amazon 👍
post #756 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
My simple solution would be to run a 50 foot fiber optic HDMI cable to replace the one you have now. I just had one installed (through my attic) into my 5050ub from my receiver 30 feet away. Zero issues and I'm taking full advantage of 4K/60hz 18gbps. It cost just $80.
Look up Delong 50' HDMI cable on Amazon 👍

That sounds great, I'm just not sure how to "replace" what I have now that it's finished without tearing into the ceiling. All the cables were put in ahead of time before the drywall. I don't believe there's a conduit/tube running from my components to my projector in the ceiling. Maybe I'll be surprised and what I have will work, I'm just thinking the odds are pretty low.
post #757 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

It's possible that your HDMI cable will work. The best way to know is to test it or have it tested...but...it's not a safe assumption that a three year old cable was not 18Gbp/60hz capable. If you have the cable information you can try to contact the manufacturer or retailer and try to cross reference it's specs'. I know that you can use cat 6, but am not personally familiar with the details. Perhaps someone else can speak up on the details. You can contact a reputable company like Sewell that makes all the components and ask them what you would need and how to do it. Personally I would avoid any HDMI workaround that adds connections and devices as it's complex and I'm not an advocate of the signal losses and interferences introduced with any additional junctions/connections/boxes or signal transfer from one type of cable to another. High quality 18Gbps/60hz active or fiber optic 30 foot cables are cheap, reliable, and the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Replacing and running new cables is what it is. It can be easy if your original installer was thinking ahead, used conduits and routes that make it easy to pull a new cable through. But unfortunately, most don't make it easy and were not thinking about future replacement of their installations in which case it can mean holes in walls and drywall to get the old stuff out and the new stuff in. It sucks tearing up relatively new construction to update cables and wires....I've been there and done that. When it comes to media rooms and home theaters running all system wiring through dedicated conduits or seperate "free moving" routes is most often a lesson learned the hard way soon after construction. Good Luck
ckronengold likes this.
post #758 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
It's possible that your HDMI cable will work. The best way to know is to test it or have it tested...but...it's not a safe assumption that a three year old cable was not 18Gbp/60hz capable. If you have the cable information you can try to contact the manufacturer or retailer and try to cross reference it's specs'. I know that you can use cat 6, but am not personally familiar with the details. Perhaps someone else can speak up on the details. You can contact a reputable company like Sewell that makes all the components and ask them what you would need and how to do it. Personally I would avoid any HDMI workaround that adds connections and devices as it's complex and I'm not an advocate of the signal losses and interferences introduced with any additional junctions/connections/boxes or signal transfer from one type of cable to another. High quality 18Gbps/60hz active or fiber optic 30 foot cables are cheap, reliable, and the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Replacing and running new cables is what it is. It can be easy if your original installer was thinking ahead, used conduits and routes that make it easy to pull a new cable through. But unfortunately, most don't make it easy and were not thinking about future replacement of their installations in which case it can mean holes in walls and drywall to get the old stuff out and the new stuff in. It sucks tearing up relatively new construction to update cables and wires....I've been there and done that. When it comes to media rooms and home theaters running all system wiring through dedicated conduits or seperate "free moving" routes is most often a lesson learned the hard way soon after construction. Good Luck

Much appreciated. I've contacted the electrical company that put it in to see about what it would take to do a cable replacement. I would agree the fewer handoffs between the component and the projector, the better. Obviously I'll first test it out, but just trying to think proactively about the fix if it doesn't work right away. I have no experience with the Cat 6 route and quite frankly have never heard it discussed much so I didn't know if anyone here had any experience. I will do all I can to avoid that.
post #759 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Much appreciated. I've contacted the electrical company that put it in to see about what it would take to do a cable replacement. I would agree the fewer handoffs between the component and the projector, the better. Obviously I'll first test it out, but just trying to think proactively about the fix if it doesn't work right away. I have no experience with the Cat 6 route and quite frankly have never heard it discussed much so I didn't know if anyone here had any experience. I will do all I can to avoid that.
I forgot to mention that the wireless transmitter and receiver of Epson's 5050ube model works extremely well and could be what you're looking for without doing a seek and swap mission. The bandwidth is a touch lower than HDMI, 4K/30 instead of 4K/60.
post #760 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
I forgot to mention that the wireless transmitter and receiver of Epson's 5050ube model works extremely well and could be what you're looking for without doing a seek and swap mission. The bandwidth is a touch lower than HDMI, 4K/30 instead of 4K/60.
Assuming that's just the wireless bandwidth that's a touch lower. As long as it plays 4K HDR I'm good. I don't game on this so I don't need 4K HDR 60fps. I ALWAYS prefer a wired route if possible but this may work well also.
post #761 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
We'd love to see a few more Home Theater enthusiasts from NY/NJ register and join us next Tuesday for the unveiling. Epson always puts on a well catered affair and the venue is super cool! See you next week.

David

The fewer attendees, the higher my chances of winning! Everyone stay home!
Spoken like a true home theater enthusiast. LOL.
post #762 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
At least like one balancing WAF and budget!

Very much looking forward to the event. Space looks amazing.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #763 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
At least like one balancing WAF and budget!

Very much looking forward to the event. Space looks amazing.
Please post a link to the space. Their overall space looks particularly inviting with the open floor plan and kitchen area and conference room but I didn't see a theater big enough for 25 guests plus the guests of honor... I am looking forward to the event as well.
post #764 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I had my basement finished 3 years ago and at the time thought I bought the best HDMI cable I could but it's around 30 feet so who the hell knows if it will now send a 4K projector signal properly. I don't even begin to know what to do if it doesn't. However, my installers ran a few extra Cat 6 lines as well.
I feel your pain. I ripped open the soffit of my basement less than a year ago. We bought new construction, but it was finished before we got on the scene. Suffice it to say, they weren't thinking about home theater, home automation (Hell, there was only one ethernet cable in the whole house, and they damaged it during the install).

I fought with the electrician on how I wanted the wires run. He insisted he knew better. He did not. He bundled up a full 5.1.4 set of speaker wire and just yanked it through the soffit and under the HVAC.

Fast forward 9 months and I need to run a new 18gb HDMI through the soffit with no way to get it through. Had to rip it all open again. But at least I was smart enough to put conduit in this time. I untangled everything back to the center of the room and ran 3 lines of 1" smurf tube to my media closet. I'm still thinking about adding a 4th before I close up shop.

Back to you, though --- if you have a few extra CAT6 runs, you can tug on one of them and see if you can even pull anything through. Just tie a chase to the other end so you can pull it back if you get stuck, or have something to tie your new HDMI to if you can make it the whole way.

As far as your HDMI over CAT6 goes, there are a lot of people who swear by baluns. Give it a shot. I see that the 4k ones start around $100. The cheaper ones only do 1080p.

But as was stated earlier, every junction / connection is another spot for a potential handshake problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soffit.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	830.5 KB
ID:	2560782  

Last edited by ckronengold; 04-30-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #765 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Please post a link to the space. Their overall space looks particularly inviting with the open floor plan and kitchen area and conference room but I didn't see a theater big enough for 25 guests plus the guests of honor... I am looking forward to the event as well.
http://gilmoressoundadvice.com/index.php/showroom/

Take the virtual tour: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=8mK7RtcDu7B

Plenty of space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epsonevent2.png
Views:	69
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2560784   Click image for larger version

Name:	epsonevent1.png
Views:	72
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2560786  

post #766 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
http://gilmoressoundadvice.com/index.php/showroom/

Take the virtual tour: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=8mK7RtcDu7B

Plenty of space.
Agreed looks like a great place for watching the Super Bowl and socializing. I was looking for more of a dedicated theater space because I am that much of a home theater nerd and just wanted to watch movies and talk very little LOL.
post #767 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Regarding the 5050ub firmware update: Spoke with Epson and they mistakenly listed the 5050 in the group of other projectors. The 5050ub has a different firmware file. They updated the web site (projector firmware download page) with a new 5050ub section with the correct firmware file. I just downloaded it and updated firmware successfully on my 5050ub. Thanks.
Alaric and nwmusicman like this.
post #768 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-AV View Post
Regarding the 5050ub firmware update: Spoke with Epson and they mistakenly listed the 5050 in the group of other projectors. The 5050ub has a different firmware file. They updated the web site (projector firmware download page) with a new 5050ub section with the correct firmware file. I just downloaded it and updated firmware successfully on my 5050ub. Thanks.
Could you show a picture or type out what your firmware listing is. It would tell me if my 5050 was the latest or not. BTW, I don't recall seeing what the new release did. Do you know?

Jack
post #769 of 3497 Old 04-30-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I think it now allows FI with 4K enhance enabled for 1080p sources.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #770 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So is the consensus that a fiber optic HDMI cable is the way to go to avoid most cable-related headaches? Any model/brand in particular? How about Monoprice?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #771 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So.... I am still in my return to Best Buy window (I should have gone with a better return policy seller, lessen learned)

I keep switching from my new 5050ub ($2800ish) to my BenQ 2050 ($600ish). I'm comparing what a 2500-3000 upgrade gets me. My conclusion is....

5050 pros:
- Better blacks and contrast (not mond blowing, but noticable)
- Better resolution (at a cost) - meaning that this projector seems to bring out a DOF effect, where the main image on screen is noticably more clear and detailed, whereas the background has more blur. On the 2050, the main image is slightly less detailed, but the background is a closer match.

5050 cons:
-More judder, more noticable when gaming on my PC. Quick movements in shooters, the backgrouds noticably jumps, whereas in the 2050 you hardly notice.
-More headaches when using it as a 120" desktop monitor. This seems to be from the brightness as well as the less detail in text and numbers on screen.

My 2050 was a "all in one", that I loved and still love. The 5050 was my entry into 4k movies and gaming, while upgrading my contrast and black detail. I am still considering returning the 5050 and taking a 15% restocking hit, because I am sadly not seeing a justified jump in performance. I would really like to get a jump in 4k/better blacks. I would consider keeping the 5050 if I could lessen the motion issues vs my BenQ.

Anyone have any ideas before I throw away $400 bucks on a Whoops purchase? On paper, the 5050 is perfect. I want to like this darn thing so much. Any help/advice is appreciated.
post #772 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Sounds like you want a JVC NX5.
Jstillen2 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #773 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post
So is the consensus that a fiber optic HDMI cable is the way to go to avoid most cable-related headaches? Any model/brand in particular? How about Monoprice?
I just caught this one for $37 as a Lightning Deal on Amazon. Figured at that price is was worth a shot.

ATZEBE 4k Optical HDMI Cable - 30ft, HDMI Fiber Optic Cable Supports [email protected], 4:4:4, HDR10, Dolby Vision, ARC, HDCP2.2, 18Gbps, Slim & Flexible HDMI Active Fiber Cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L2YGG68/

post #774 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
I just caught this one for $37 as a Lightning Deal on Amazon. Figured at that price is was worth a shot.

ATZEBE 4k Optical HDMI Cable - 30ft, HDMI Fiber Optic Cable Supports [email protected], 4:4:4, HDR10, Dolby Vision, ARC, HDCP2.2, 18Gbps, Slim & Flexible HDMI Active Fiber Cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L2YGG68/
This is the one I’m using.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #775 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_CA View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Here's what I think...and think that I know, lol. For long runs, (lets say over 50') fiber optic seems to be the way to go if you are looking for 18Gbps/60 hz support. BUT....lots of buyer reviews that I've seen indicate cables have failed to perform. From personal experience and discussions with a couple of low-voltage installers and AV installers a major cause of cable failure is quite often the result of damage during installation such as narrow degree bends and damage to internal plug connections during "pulls". It appears the "slim" and small gauge conventional HDMI cables and the slim fiber optic cables are most vulnerable to damage. Also pay attention to the plug length on fiber optic cables. They are longer than the plugs on conventional wire HDMI cables and might cause problems if you have to fish them through holes in wall studs or tight angles/bends. All that being said, the consensus seems to be fiber optics have a higher success rate for long runs

Personally for runs up to 50" I prefer the heaviest gauge "active cables". I have a preference for Monoprice "Cabernet" active cables with the Spectra7 chipset . They have a straight forward lifetime warranty....BUT you've got to keep the original sales paperwork and return the cable, which can be a PITA if you've run the cable through walls, but that's fair and to be expected.

A word of caution....read the fine print! Many cable descriptions say they support "HDR", "deep color" "latest specifications", "highest speed", "4K", etc, but in the fine print say they are only 10GBps, 30hz, or are "active" cables that still have the "Redmere" chips instead of the newer "Spectra7" chips that replaced the "Redmere" chipsets. Make sure you know the claimed cable specs in terms of data, speed and chipset for active cables.

Whatever you buy, I recommend making sure the product is guaranteed and has a straight forward return policy if it doesn't work or fails. Another good tip I got on this forum was to order two cables at a time....if one doesn't work return it instead of having wait to get a second. Hope that helps
jnation and ckronengold like this.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 05-01-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #776 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
This is the one I’m using.
Thats how it ended up in my Home Theater Wish List and got notified about the lightning deal.

Where should I send your cut?

Seriously, thanks calling that out.
Luminated67 likes this.

post #777 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Quote:
Could you show a picture or type out what your firmware listing is. It would tell me if my 5050 was the latest or not. BTW, I don't recall seeing what the new release did. Do you know?
I’m not sure what changed with the upgrade (believe I still need to disable 4K enhance on 1080 source material). Post firmware update, Main is 8Z009564FNWWV101 and Video2 is 8YL2FLMV100. Firmware update may have only updated Main.

My last challenge is getting 18gbps on the long run. I can get it on a 6 foot cable to the projector but not on the two longer cables (one optical and one active copper - both of which supposedly supported 18gbps I thought). Hoping it’s just the long cable challenge (finding the right cable combination, etc.) that would happen on many projectors and not an issue with the HDMI implementation on the projector. Although I don’t really have anything yet that I need to drive at 18gbps (Netflix 4K HDR10 @ 24fps 12 bit 4:2:2 is under that and works fine, for example).
post #778 of 3497 Old 05-01-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
I’m not sure what changed with the upgrade (believe I still need to disable 4K enhance on 1080 source material). Post firmware update, Main is 8Z009564FNWWV101 and Video2 is 8YL2FLMV100. Firmware update may have only updated Main.

When I talked to the Epson rep he told me that FI was not added to a 4K enhanced source and that the firmware update is not for anything we would notice. I believe he explained that it had something to do with the Lens Iris matching up correctly to the number in the menu. Maybe with the number when you’re looking at how open or closed you want the iris. He said that this update in no way shape or form improved the picture.

Oh well, Epson still replaced it for me with a brand new one that actually turned out WAAAAAAAY better than the original one I had. The overall sharpness and focus of the picture is far superior than what I had before. I think someone stated on here before that when they had their pc hooked up to the 5050, the bottom right corner of the picture was blurry and not in focus. That’s what I was experiencing. No matter how I adjusted the focus, I could never get the bottom right corner to be in decent focus. Luckily this new one is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #779 of 3497 Old 05-02-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
When I talked to the Epson rep he told me that FI was not added to a 4K enhanced source and that the firmware update is not for anything we would notice. I believe he explained that it had something to do with the Lens Iris matching up correctly to the number in the menu. Maybe with the number when you’re looking at how open or closed you want the iris. He said that this update in no way shape or form improved the picture.

Oh well, Epson still replaced it for me with a brand new one that actually turned out WAAAAAAAY better than the original one I had. The overall sharpness and focus of the picture is far superior than what I had before. I think someone stated on here before that when they had their pc hooked up to the 5050, the bottom right corner of the picture was blurry and not in focus. That’s what I was experiencing. No matter how I adjusted the focus, I could never get the bottom right corner to be in decent focus. Luckily this new one is perfect.

Having never owned a projector before and being just about ready to pull the trigger since this projector finally has everything I need, it's pretty stressful knowing that I'll have no idea if the one I get is actually any good.

Wish I could buy two 5050s, compare them, and keep the one that's better.
post #780 of 3497 Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Having never owned a projector before and being just about ready to pull the trigger since this projector finally has everything I need, it's pretty stressful knowing that I'll have no idea if the one I get is actually any good.

Wish I could buy two 5050s, compare them, and keep the one that's better.

Oh man I know what you mean. Having owned many projectors, that fear never truly goes away. Lol

My suggestion is to buy from a website or store that has a good return policy. This way, even if everything with the projector is perfect, you can still return if you don’t like it. The good thing about Epson is that they will replace your unit with a different one if you’re experiencing an issue. And that goes for focus/sharpness uniformity. They’ve always been a pleasure to work with. Two year warranty through them and they have an exchange policy which allows you to receive a replacement within 1-2 days if needed. If this checks all your boxes I say go for it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page