THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1292Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1081 of 4434 Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
donn_l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned the Optoma UHD51a since last July and have been pretty happy with it as an upgrade from my tried and true Benq 1070. The only real issues I've had is the FI not being very good, but I don't use it very often anyway. And streaming HDR video tends to be a little washed out compared to discs. My 1st choice would have been to get the 5040ub last summer, but my wife surprised me with the Optoma for my birthday. Now that the 5050ub is out I'm getting antsy! Is it worth the upgrade? I'm not in a light controlled environment, but movie watching at night gets pretty dark. And again, the Optoma puts out a pretty decent picture itself.
donn_l is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1082 of 4434 Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by donn_l View Post
I have owned the Optoma UHD51a since last July and have been pretty happy with it as an upgrade from my tried and true Benq 1070. The only real issues I've had is the FI not being very good, but I don't use it very often anyway. And streaming HDR video tends to be a little washed out compared to discs. My 1st choice would have been to get the 5040ub last summer, but my wife surprised me with the Optoma for my birthday. Now that the 5050ub is out I'm getting antsy! Is it worth the upgrade? I'm not in a light controlled environment, but movie watching at night gets pretty dark. And again, the Optoma puts out a pretty decent picture itself.
The 5040 is a light canon and the 5050 is even a bit brighter...relatively speaking...great image brightness/contrast even in uncontrolled lighting conditions. The decision is yours obviously...budget and OCD dependent of course! As a suggestion, you could order a 5050 to see for yourself. If not satisfied, return policies from i.e. Crutchfield will work in your favor. I'm betting you won't be disappointed!
Thrust-Bot likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #1083 of 4434 Old 05-14-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donn_l View Post
I have owned the Optoma UHD51a since last July and have been pretty happy with it as an upgrade from my tried and true Benq 1070. The only real issues I've had is the FI not being very good, but I don't use it very often anyway. And streaming HDR video tends to be a little washed out compared to discs. My 1st choice would have been to get the 5040ub last summer, but my wife surprised me with the Optoma for my birthday. Now that the 5050ub is out I'm getting antsy! Is it worth the upgrade? I'm not in a light controlled environment, but movie watching at night gets pretty dark. And again, the Optoma puts out a pretty decent picture itself.
The 5040 is a light canon and the 5050 is even a bit brighter...relatively speaking...great image brightness/contrast even in uncontrolled lighting conditions. The decision is yours obviously...budget and OCD dependent of course![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] As a suggestion, you could order a 5050 to see for yourself. If not satisfied, return policies from i.e. Crutchfield will work in your favor. I'm betting you won't be disappointed!
I will double that bet that you won't be disappointed. I highly doubt you won't be blown away IMHO. I owned two 5040's. The second one was calibrated by Jeff Meier of Accucal. I thought the HDR was good until I got my 5050. Then I could really see what I was missing. HDR that rivals my LG OLED. It is that good. You can get reasonably close with a 5040 and a Panasonic ub820 but then you are dependent on discs and apps that the 820 supports. It has a Netflix app that never works. 8 months and it has never worked. So really only Amazon Prime support. Google Panasonic and Netflix issues. So many issues that Panasonic has a video about how to fix it on their website. It still doesn't fix it. Go with the 5050.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1084 of 4434 Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I will double that bet that you won't be disappointed. I highly doubt you won't be blown away IMHO. I owned two 5040's. The second one was calibrated by Jeff Meier of Accucal. I thought the HDR was good until I got my 5050. Then I could really see what I was missing. HDR that rivals my LG OLED. It is that good. You can get reasonably close with a 5040 and a Panasonic ub820 but then you are dependent on discs and apps that the 820 supports. It has a Netflix app that never works. 8 months and it has never worked. So really only Amazon Prime support. Google Panasonic and Netflix issues. So many issues that Panasonic has a video about how to fix it on their website. It still doesn't fix it. Go with the 5050.
Your posts are causing me to rethink my position. I’m pleasantly happy with the results of the 5040 and the Panny 900 with the HDR slider. The decision to upgrade to the 5050 for its superior HDR performance is relative to the cost/benefit...is it worth the difference...easily $1500 at this point. I may have to take my own advice and order one for my answer.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #1085 of 4434 Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have experience with 5050 and HDR movies without Panasonic Blu-Ray player? Unfortunately, Panny player is not an option for me.

As far as I understand, Panasonic has HDR optimizer = auto tone mapping which does dynamic range compression for the target display and results in (in simple terms) automatic brightness adjustment for any HDR movie. So it's kind of set & forget functionality. The same auto tone mapping seems to be present in the new JVC projectors. How does HDR slider in Epson compare to these? Is it a set & forget functionality, where you set the slider level once for all HDR movies, or do you need to tweak it for different movies? Is it an "auto tone mapping" kind of functionality which is set once or just "HDR brightness" which is adjusted for a specific movie?
ArtemF is offline  
post #1086 of 4434 Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVpassion7 View Post
Hi, Anyone upgraded from the 5030 to the 5050 ? Are the sizes the same or is the 5050 larger? I’m about to upgrade, but wondering if I will need to take size into consideration?
Its definitely bigger. Shouldn't be an issue unless you've got zero wiggle room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50305050.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2567138  
AVpassion7 likes this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #1087 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Member
 
chasiliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Anyone come to the 5050/6050 from a JVC RS500? I currently have an RS500 in a cave/theater. The blacks on the RS500 are fantastic but the features on the 5050/6050 are sounding very compelling.

Upgrading to the new JVCs would mean a much bigger projector, about same light output, not better blacks. Of course, true 4k is appealing with the new JVCs.
chasiliff is online now  
post #1088 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After owning the 5050ub for 2 1/2 weeks, I finally decided to try a 3D movie. My Sony UBP X700 kept giving me the same error over and over, saying the projector wasn't a 3D device.
After a lengthy call to Epson's tech support, they couldn't fix the problem either.

However, I did find out how to correct the problem and I'm letting everyone else know (that owns the same player).

You absolutely MUST disable/uncheck the Sony's HDR/DolbyVision setting to watch any 3D Blu-ray. When it's set to on/auto, the Epson doesn't recognize the 3D signal, thus giving you the error message.

Had I known this, I would have saved myself about 2 hours of troubleshooting time and saved my family's Movie Night (Jaws 3D). Ughhh.

Hope this helps somebody, someday.
Gellert is offline  
post #1089 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Found an answer to my question above about HDR auto tone mapping, from the ProjectorReviews.com:
Quote:
Tone mapping HDR – You can now adjust the tone mapping on this Epson, with a series of 16 settings, which tend to either lighten or dim the mid and lower mid ranges. With the default setting of 8, most HDR content looks great, I would say as well balanced as most of those higher end Sonys, which I have been extremely impressed with for their HDR handling.
So it seems Epson indeed employs tone mapping similar to HDR optimizer in Panny players, while HDR slider is additional brightness tweaking of the HDR image. From the review, it seems you rarely have to tweak the HDR slider on Epson, while the Panasonic's HDR optimizer seems to be "smarter" and produces good brightness without tweaking at all (?).
ArtemF is offline  
post #1090 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post

Had I known this, I would have saved myself about 2 hours of troubleshooting time and saved my family's Movie Night (Jaws 3D). Ughhh.

Hope this helps somebody, someday.
Silver lining.....that movie is AWFUL.
boblinds likes this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #1091 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM
SG_
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked this projector up, where can I find the recommended calibrated settings? Would these same settings work on an ALR screen?
SG_ is offline  
post #1092 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_ View Post
Just picked this projector up, where can I find the recommended calibrated settings? Would these same settings work on an ALR screen?
These are from @Alaric and have been very well received by those of us who have tried them. YMMV, but its a great place to start.

https://sites.google.com/view/dreaming-cinema/home

And here's some more background on his set up: https://sites.google.com/view/epson-tw9400/home
Alaric and Luminated67 like this.

Video: Epson 5050 / nVidia Shield / OPPO-103
Audio: Marantz 7010 / MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), 50XT (center), M2 (surrounds)
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
NAS: Synology 1515+ Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
ckronengold is offline  
post #1093 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norther Va
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Settings will be a decent starting point. All of our set ups as far as the room, screen type and size as well as variations for each unit will vary.

Alaric has a velvet treated room if yours has light colored walls for instance it will effect the picture quality.

Has any US based owners had their units calibrated yet? I am on a list for ChadB to come to the DC Metro area


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #1094 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Settings will be a decent starting point. All of our set ups as far as the room, screen type and size as well as variations for each unit will vary.

Alaric has a velvet treated room if yours has light colored walls for instance it will effect the picture quality.

Has any US based owners had their units calibrated yet? I am on a list for ChadB to come to the DC Metro area


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The settings @Alaric has provided are very good, of course things will affect how well they will work for you but if your room is light controlled and screen of similar size and gain then you will be very please with the results.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
post #1095 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
seplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Fort Wayne, IN, USA
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellert View Post
After owning the 5050ub for 2 1/2 weeks, I finally decided to try a 3D movie. My Sony UBP X700 kept giving me the same error over and over, saying the projector wasn't a 3D device.

After a lengthy call to Epson's tech support, they couldn't fix the problem either.



However, I did find out how to correct the problem and I'm letting everyone else know (that owns the same player).



You absolutely MUST disable/uncheck the Sony's HDR/DolbyVision setting to watch any 3D Blu-ray. When it's set to on/auto, the Epson doesn't recognize the 3D signal, thus giving you the error message.



Had I known this, I would have saved myself about 2 hours of troubleshooting time and saved my family's Movie Night (Jaws 3D). Ughhh.



Hope this helps somebody, someday.
Any comments on 3D performance of the 5050? Did you make adjustments to any settings (gamma, 3D brightness, 3D depth, screen size, etc.)?
seplant is offline  
post #1096 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Lifeline99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ithaca, NY, USA
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Its definitely bigger. Shouldn't be an issue unless you've got zero wiggle room.
Im also coming from a 5030. I use it in a living room with some ambient light, but I mostly watch at night. Clearly the 5050 is a big upgrade specs-wise, but I must say I'm still regularly impressed by how good my 5030 looks with good content. For others upgrading from a 5030, could you speak to the improvements you see on the screen?

Remember Sammy Jankis.
Lifeline99 is offline  
post #1097 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Same here, currently enjoying my 5030 but the hdr is compelling.


I'm mostly on the fence about the lack of frame interpolation. I believe it does not function while it's pixel shifting?? I always have it on high with the 5030 as it helps blur a lot, don't know if I can give it up.


Any comments about blur?
tooslow2 is offline  
post #1098 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,535
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow2 View Post
Same here, currently enjoying my 5030 but the hdr is compelling.


I'm mostly on the fence about the lack of frame interpolation. I believe it does not function while it's pixel shifting?? I always have it on high with the 5030 as it helps blur a lot, don't know if I can give it up.


Any comments about blur?
Frame interpolation now works with 1080p sources and 4K enhancement enabled on firmware 1.01. It will not work with 4K sources, however. Glass half full.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #1099 of 4434 Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
Frame interpolation now works with 1080p sources and 4K enhancement enabled on firmware 1.01. It will not work with 4K sources, however. Glass half full.

Thanks, good to know. Is there black frame insertion or anything for 4k source. If possible, how would you compare the smoothness between 1080p FI, 1080p enhanced FI, and 4k source?
tooslow2 is offline  
post #1100 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 AM
GCS
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 75
5050 owners what are your "cons" to this projector - meaning what would you warn potential buyers about before they got it?

I assume lack of native 4k would be the main one but based on reviews and comments it sure seems like that is not that big of a deal.

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

 

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

GCS is offline  
post #1101 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
--Sclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Aurora, IL USA
Posts: 695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
5050 owners what are your "cons" to this projector - meaning what would you warn potential buyers about before they got it?

I assume lack of native 4k would be the main one but based on reviews and comments it sure seems like that is not that big of a deal.
Hello again, GCS
- Size. Its a big projector...personal preference of course, but it should be considered.
- Noise. High lamp mode is a bit loud, but imo not distracting. The projector sits about 6' above my head and back maybe a foot, and I don't notice most of the time.
- Not a laser, but that's not a surprise for this manufacturer and price point.
- No signal/mode memory. For example, when the projector detects HDR, it would be a nice feature if it could be set to automatically switch to a preferred display mode...but thats a nitpick, and something that has not been offered before by Epson IIRC.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
--Sclaws is offline  
post #1102 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 09:09 AM
GCS
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Hello again, GCS
- Size. Its a big projector...personal preference of course, but it should be considered.
Not worried as my HC3000 isn't small either and the only other thing I am considering as you know is the 5040.

Quote:
- Size. Its a big projector...personal preference of course, but it should be considered.
- Noise. High lamp mode is a bit loud, but imo not distracting. The projector sits about 6' above my head and back maybe a foot, and I don't notice most of the time.

Same my HC3000 isn't super quiet but its not a problem either.

Quote:
- Not a laser, but that's not a surprise for this manufacturer and price point.
Yeah laser would be great but at my budget not happening

Quote:
- No signal/mode memory. For example, when the projector detects HDR, it would be a nice feature if it could be set to automatically switch to a preferred display mode...but thats a nitpick, and something that has not been offered before by Epson IIRC.
Interesting, wasn't aware of that. I guess you guys just have a preset programmed in or something and hit a button. I know I would fiddle with it but the rest of the family will just turn it on, insert disc and press play. They won't know how to or understand any settings at all so hopefully the "default" looks good.

Thanks

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

 

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

GCS is offline  
post #1103 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norther Va
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
5050 owners what are your "cons" to this projector - meaning what would you warn potential buyers about before they got it?



I assume lack of native 4k would be the main one but based on reviews and comments it sure seems like that is not that big of a deal.


I don’t see how that’s a Con. It’s a $2999 machine there is no native 4K at that price point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #1104 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post
Any comments on 3D performance of the 5050? Did you make adjustments to any settings (gamma, 3D brightness, 3D depth, screen size, etc.)?
As of now, I've only watched the opening scene of Gravity in 3D. That was very, very impressive. I own an ALR screen that's 1.3 gain. I have the Epson's iris permanently off in all modes because the screen literally disappears in my room with lights off. Lamp is set on the eco setting. The 3D glasses are Epson brand ($60 each) on eBay.

Lack of time hasn't allowed me to watch a full movie in 3D yet but Memorial day weekend will change that for the better.

It's very important that each eye doesn't pick up any images from the other side to get the best 3D effect. The Epson glasses are big and nerdy looking but I love them since they fit well over my prescription glasses and the nosepiece is adjustable. I haven't messed with any other settings like depth, brightness etc.

I'm a huge 3D fan, owning about 120 3D Blu-rays movies. If you are too, there's a great Facebook group of over 5,000 members that share information on where to buy them, any sales, etc. Just search for "3D Blu-ray movie enthusiast group".
Alaric likes this.
Gellert is offline  
post #1105 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Norther Va
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Hello again, GCS

- Size. Its a big projector...personal preference of course, but it should be considered.

- Noise. High lamp mode is a bit loud, but imo not distracting. The projector sits about 6' above my head and back maybe a foot, and I don't notice most of the time.

- Not a laser, but that's not a surprise for this manufacturer and price point.

- No signal/mode memory. For example, when the projector detects HDR, it would be a nice feature if it could be set to automatically switch to a preferred display mode...but thats a nitpick, and something that has not been offered before by Epson IIRC.


I would agree with the auto signal detection as being a con for me. I also wish I could have a black case and not pay extra.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #1106 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Member
 
WisconsinEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am considering moving from JVC to Epson projectors and am curious what I need from a mounting hardware perspective.

I have the Chief RPMA-281 for JVC projectors. Is there an interface that works with this and the 5050?

Thanks for any assistance.
WisconsinEric is online now  
post #1107 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinEric View Post
I am considering moving from JVC to Epson projectors and am curious what I need from a mounting hardware perspective.

I have the Chief RPMA-281 for JVC projectors. Is there an interface that works with this and the 5050?

Thanks for any assistance.
Yes...Chief's SLB 357 (custom bracket specifically for the 5040/6040/5050/6050) should slip perfectly (onto the 6 knurled nuts) onto the RPA portion of your existing mount. The SLB 357 should be available from Projector People, Visual Apex, B&H, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SLB375 attached to 5040.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	2568044
WisconsinEric likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #1108 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Member
 
WisconsinEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Yes...Chief's SLB 357 (custom bracket specifically for the 5040/6040/5050/6050) should slip perfectly (onto the 6 knurled nuts) onto the RPA portion of your existing mount. The SLB 357 should be available from Projector People, Visual Apex, B&H, etc.

Attachment 2568044
Great, thanks!
WisconsinEric is online now  
post #1109 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
5050 owners what are your "cons" to this projector - meaning what would you warn potential buyers about before they got it?

I assume lack of native 4k would be the main one but based on reviews and comments it sure seems like that is not that big of a deal.
The big con is .... not enough hours in the day for rewatching all my 4K movies LOL.

Seriously the only negative is some judder in a very small percentage of very fast panning scenes that very few displays handle well such as the panning over the desert in the beginning of x-men Apocalypse. But the image the 5050 and 6050 puts out is amazing. This is the beginning of Allied. Decent movie but great 4k . My phone can't really do my 6050 justice but that won't stop me from posting pictures LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_145354_1558141139706.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2568066  
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #1110 of 4434 Old 05-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
sddawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemF View Post
Found an answer to my question above about HDR auto tone mapping, from the ProjectorReviews.com:


So it seems Epson indeed employs tone mapping similar to HDR optimizer in Panny players, while HDR slider is additional brightness tweaking of the HDR image. From the review, it seems you rarely have to tweak the HDR slider on Epson, while the Panasonic's HDR optimizer seems to be "smarter" and produces good brightness without tweaking at all (?).
With the huge proviso that I don't (yet) own this projector, I have not read anywhere that the Epson's HDR slider takes any notice of the metadata in a movie. This would mean that, ideally, you'd change the slider if you moved from a 1,000 nit movie to a 4,000 nit one. The Panny would negate this need, since it dynamically adjusts its tone mapping depending on metadata.

But there are still two ways to use the Panny. You could use SDR/BT2020 mode, which means the Panny is doing all the tone mapping. The Epson would accept the BT2020 colour space and display the richer colours but otherwise will be in SDR mode using a 2.4 gamma. Many people say this is the best way to drive a projector. The second way is to set the Panny to output HDR but use its optimiser with a target luminance set to the "projector" setting. So the Panny does tone mapping to that level, and you then additionally use the Epson's slider to get your preferred result. You still get "dynamic", metadata-aware mapping. I'm really not sure of the best approach here, since I've not yet had the opportunity to try it. Hopefully someone else here has.

Of course, you well may have to use just the Epson's slider for some streaming sources if you have the likes of an Apple TV etc.
sddawson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off