Originally Posted by a7ypical
I'm trying to figure out if an upgrade is worthwhile specifically for my use case. It looks like for picture quality an upgrade may have a marginal effect for those who spent time calibrating the 5040 and added a device like the Panasonic for HDR tone mapping.
Originally Posted by drhankz
Waste of money in my opinion unless you have lots of money to burn
This is strictly a "subjective" and budget related question....
(1) From a financial perspective, upgrading typically means/costs about $1500...most of us would put this to better use upgrading other areas of our hobby....ATMOS, speakers, subs, acoustic panels, etc.
(2) From a PQ perspective (primarily HDR) performance...maybe 10-20% improvement that would be noticeable by AVS'ers like ourselves and meaningless to 99% of others (family/friends).
(3) As previously mentioned, folks who are calling this a "night and day" difference are undoubtedly defending their purchase decision. If this were actually the case, 90% of us would be upgrading w/o question/hesitation.
(4) Those with unlimited discretionary $$$ will upgrade...just because they want to and easily can.
(5) As you’ve indicated for your use case and likely most others, the 5050’s improvements over the 5040 are acknowledged but likely deemed “marginal” overall. Whether the upgrade is worthy of $1500 or more is a question only you can answer.
In any case, if one needs to resolve the "itch," I would recommend ordering a 5050 from a retailer/dealer with favorable return policies (i.e. Crutchfield) to see if it's worth it for you. Remember also, iterations beyond the 5050 in a year or two will obviously address HDR even better but also be HDMI 2.1 capable....not so with the current 5050. This is IMO only as your YMMV.