THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 905Likes

post #1591 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upswright1 View Post
Just jumping in here, I have the 4010 and just upgraded to 5050. Picture quality and HDR are definitely worth the Money. 5050 looks amazing with hdr. You will not regret getting it. IMHO
Thank you so much for your kind input, it's great to hear from someone who had personal experience with both!! it's definitely a confusing choice for me, but for now i've just put this decision on hold i think. Thank you again for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
I just switched over and used Eric Pfoutz's from ProjectorReviews.com settings for his "Brightest 4K" Calibration and of the settings I've seen floating around here it is the best I've seen/used on the 5050UB. The only adjustment I made to his settings was changing the HDR slider from 8 to 4 since I have a larger 160" screen.

https://www.projectorreviews.com/eps...tion-settings/
--Sclaws, ckronengold and Gib00 like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #1593 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterg51 View Post
I'm thinking that it may be more screen dependent than I had hoped. Mine is an old Draper gray screen. I have another that is white and 1.1. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
For anyone keeping score at home, I'm using a SilverTicket grey screen that claims to be 1.0 gain.
misterg51 likes this.

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I just switched over and used Eric Pfoutz's from ProjectorReviews.com settings for his "Brightest 4K" Calibration and of the settings I've seen floating around here it is the best I've seen/used on the 5050UB. The only adjustment I made to his settings was changing the HDR slider from 8 to 4 since I have a larger 160" screen.

Any changes to your overall opinion of the 5050 now that you're using "the best you've seen/used"?

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #1595 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

Same here. I wasn't expecting them to fit my environment so well but they're working great (made my own calibration attempts look ugly in comparison). Only really had to adjust contrast/brightness a bit to reduce some white clipping and blacks were a bit too low on my screen.

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
post #1596 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
I thought it might have been advertised and I missed it...

I know I watched the one 6050 review, I will check out the other one. It will be even harder to leave it in the box until I'm done painting!

I'm genuinely interested if the 6050 is better on anything other than paper or the written word. I don't think the contrast improvement will be perceptible 99% of the time but I am interested in the sharpness claims. I don't know how many A/B comparisons we're going to get however so who knows.
post #1597 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
I'm genuinely interested if the 6050 is better on anything other than paper or the written word. I don't think the contrast improvement will be perceptible 99% of the time but I am interested in the sharpness claims. I don't know how many A/B comparisons we're going to get however so who knows.
The 5040 throws a bright and sharp image...the 5050 improves upon this...and the 6050 is said to be "hand picked" from the 5050's. All this is of course subjective and anecdotal. No amount of a/b testing from others will necessarily tell you what you want to know....only your own eyes will. Bottom line, these are excellent projectors at their price points. You just need to audition any of these to see for yourself. One of the best ways to do this is to order one from a retailer with a favorable/liberal return policy.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 06-04-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #1598 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
The 5040 throws a bright and sharp image...the 5050 improves upon this...and the 6050 is said to be "hand picked" from the 5050's. All this is of course subjective and anecdotal. No amount of a/b testing from others will necessarily tell you what you want to know....only your own eyes will. Bottom line, these are excellent projectors at their price points. You just need to audition any of these to see for yourself. One of the best ways to do this is to order one from a retailer with a favorable/liberal return policy.

I'm just interested in the comparison of the 5050 to the 6050 and I agree with your comment about subjective and anecdotal. Always in the eye of the beholder...and the salesman.
gene4ht likes this.
post #1599 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post
Any changes to your overall opinion of the 5050 now that you're using "the best you've seen/used"?
The 5050UB is a tinkerer's dream! There are so many settings to fine tune the image. I think these are settings that I'm finally ok with leaving on 100% of the time regardless of the content. I was always switching back and forth between modes depending on the content. So much so that I create sequences on my harmony remote to mimic the 'memory, down, down, enter' etc buttons... I digress.

I really like the 5050UB. My expectations going into the 5050 were sky high so at the end of the day, the performance didn't blow me away but the HDR is definitely improved compared to last gen. If the Benq 5550 had better input lag, I would probably still have that up as my primary driver. There is a lot to like about that unit. But I spend about 50% of my lamp time gaming and the 60ms input lag on the HT5550 was a bit much for how much I game. Its serviceable for the casual gamer. Other than the input lag, the BenQ is amazing.

I ultimately stuck with the 5050UB because of the 26ms input lag. I also enjoy the extra brightness headroom and good contrast/black floor. I still often wish for a sharper picture and the fuss-free out of box color/image from the BenQ but I guess you can't have it all. I just hope we can get an 8.3M pixel projector that can do sub 30ms input lag soon. Right now the best we have is the BenQTK800M at 42ms. The Viewsonic LS-7004k on paper can but I'll believe it when I see it.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #1600 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
The good thing is after you do make a decision you won't be looking at an A/B comparison. All you will have is the projector you chose so any tiny differences won't matter anymore.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #1601 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post

I'm just interested in the comparison of the 5050 to the 6050 and I agree with your comment about subjective and anecdotal. Always in the eye of the beholder...and the salesman.
I had a 5050 in my theater for about a month and I have now had the 6050 for about a month. Previous that I had two Epson 5040 s for the last 18 months both died due to power supply issues. I do feel that the image on the 6050 is a little sharper and has better contrast than the 5050 which provides I feel a little better Shadow details and slightly better spectral highlights. Epson really took care of me I did not pay for an upgrade to either of the two most recent projectors to grace my home theater. So I don't feel like I am trying to justify any money cuz I didn't spend any LOL. Even my wife noticed a huge difference between the 5040 and the 5050 and she said with the 6050 there are fine details in actors faces and set pieces that were not present with the 5050. I agree with that assessment. I am really Blown Away by the picture I get from the 6050 I have used Alaric settings so far and will probably try the ones from above as well. I will probably have this professionally calibrated as I did with my 5040 by Jeff Meier of Accucal AV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_130555_1559668184683.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2575792  
Alaric and gene4ht like this.
post #1602 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question

Loving the 5050UB but having some HDMI handshake issues. Since I've seen others with similar, I'm wondering if anyone has an inside scoop on if Epson is working on another firmware update that may address it. Currently it's 1.01 and I keep hoping for a 1.02. Anybody know?
post #1603 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggrog View Post
Loving the 5050UB but having some HDMI handshake issues. Since I've seen others with similar, I'm wondering if anyone has an inside scoop on if Epson is working on another firmware update that may address it. Currently it's 1.01 and I keep hoping for a 1.02. Anybody know?
Handshake issues are usually related to unfortunately your HDMI cable. I mean it can definitely be some settings in your receiver as well and I even had a handshake issue because of some settings in my Roku player but most of the time it is usually your cable. Because there are so many different combinations of receivers media players UHD players other items I don't think Epson would ever be able to address a handshake issue with a firmware update. There are so many handshakes going on in your chain between your receiver and the projector it might help to try to connect each one to the projector directly using the same cable you're using and see if you can rule any of your Hardware out as the reason for the handshake issue or you can just order a fiber optic HDMI cable and be done with it LOL.
dr bill likes this.
post #1604 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Handshake issues are usually related to unfortunately your HDMI cable. I mean it can definitely be some settings in your receiver as well and I even had a handshake issue because of some settings in my Roku player but most of the time it is usually your cable. Because there are so many different combinations of receivers media players UHD players other items I don't think Epson would ever be able to address a handshake issue with a firmware update. There are so many handshakes going on in your chain between your receiver and the projector it might help to try to connect each one to the projector directly using the same cable you're using and see if you can rule any of your Hardware out as the reason for the handshake issue or you can just order a fiber optic HDMI cable and be done with it LOL.

Actually I'm using a fiber optic HDMI adapter: http://www.inneos.com/real4k-adapter...mercial-fiber/. The manufacturer has investigated and determined that a firmware update is needed from Epson in order to get it working. There is a newer model that will apparently work but I haven't been successful getting a swap from my vendor yet, so hoping the firmware update comes soon so I can avoid having to buy the newer model.
post #1605 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggrog View Post
Quote:

Actually I'm using a fiber optic HDMI adapter: http://www.inneos.com/real4k-adapter...mercial-fiber/. The manufacturer has investigated and determined that a firmware update is needed from Epson in order to get it working. There is a newer model that will apparently work but I haven't been successful getting a swap from my vendor yet, so hoping the firmware update comes soon so I can avoid having to buy the newer model.
Introducing another component in your chain such as a fiber optic HDMI adapter usually only leads to more handshake issues not less despite what the marketing folks for the HDMI adapters will tell you. Of course they are going to say it is a problem with Epson. I assume it is not feasible to replace your cable due to where it is currently installed. I would reach out to your vendor again to get the one they claim will work ASAP. Although to be honest I don't have the same confidence it will resolve your handshake issues. I would not expect Epson to address this with a firmware update. Firmware update for a handshake issue would likely only involve a large brand such as Denon when a handshake issue had been identified across a whole product line. Just my two cents.
misterg51 likes this.
post #1606 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Introducing another component in your chain such as a fiber optic HDMI adapter usually only leads to more handshake issues not less despite what the marketing folks for the HDMI adapters will tell you. Of course they are going to say it is a problem with Epson. I assume it is not feasible to replace your cable due to where it is currently installed. I would reach out to your vendor again to get the one they claim will work ASAP. Although to be honest I don't have the same confidence it will resolve your handshake issues. I would not expect Epson to address this with a firmware update. Firmware update for a handshake issue would likely only involve a large brand such as Denon when a handshake issue had been identified across a whole product line. Just my two cents.

There are many direct cables that are under $100 that work just fine connecting an AVR to the Epson. I have an Audioquest Chocolate 8 meter copper that is flawless. Your vendor is playing the blame-game IMO (previous poster not Skylar). On my 5040 I had a Linker in the loop until I'd had enough frustration. I'll give Skylar 2 dollars for his two cents of advice. Simple is better, and way cheaper. My two cents is ditch the adapter and move on....

Marantz AV7004 Oppo UDP 205 B&K 200.7 S2 Marantz MM7055 M&K S-150THX 7.2.4 w/350 &100 subs Furman IT-REF 15I XBOX-OneX Apple 4K TV Sony PS4 Samsung 4K 65" Epson 5050UB Apple HomePod (4) Harmony Elite Amazon Alexa Xfinity X1 4K Audioquest wire A-Z (there is a difference) Spectracal CalMAN Home Enthusiast X-rite i1 Photo Pro 2
post #1607 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Anyone know what the 1.01 firmware does? Mine came with 1.00 so I'm guessing it is one of the first off the assembly line. Maybe I got a 6050 (delayed 6 months) in disguise, lol. Thanks in advance!

Marantz AV7004 Oppo UDP 205 B&K 200.7 S2 Marantz MM7055 M&K S-150THX 7.2.4 w/350 &100 subs Furman IT-REF 15I XBOX-OneX Apple 4K TV Sony PS4 Samsung 4K 65" Epson 5050UB Apple HomePod (4) Harmony Elite Amazon Alexa Xfinity X1 4K Audioquest wire A-Z (there is a difference) Spectracal CalMAN Home Enthusiast X-rite i1 Photo Pro 2
post #1608 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My 5050ub arrived today, and so far I'm very pleased. This is an upgrade to my Panasonic AR100U. I originally purchased the Optima UHD60 as the upgrade, and went through 3 of them, all with their very own defects. Also found out both my wife and I are sensitive to rainbows. So, a grand more and the 5050 was the pick.

One thing I'm not understanding is the 4k enhancement. The selection in the menu is greyed out no matter what I put through it. I'm currently using a Xbox One X for the majority of everything. I'm using a high end fiber HDMI cable (HDMI Fiber Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 20 feet), and going directly from the Xbox to the projector. Those of you who know the Xbox system, all of the green checkmarks are there in the 4k details menu (minus Dolby). This cable was purchased after I figured out none of my other HDMI would pass 4k HDR with the Optima, and worked perfectly.

Is there a combination of things I need to set within the projector before the 4k enhancement is available?

4k Enhancement, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, and Frame Interpolation are greyed out, and out the box it is set at Image Preset Mode 3.

I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a Google search and nothing really came up. Thanks!
post #1609 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I agree, and yes my hesitation is because the optical cable for that specific device is already run through the ceiling and is the one supported by Best Buy Magnolia, who did my install. I installed with a 4050, which worked fine, and when I upgraded to 5050 the optical adapter no longer works with it. So my options are to have a different optical cable run through the ceiling or pay them to swap out the existing device for the newer version that supposedly works with the 5050. Right now I'm just running a 24 foot HDMI cable under the ceiling. Seems to work fine but really an eyesore and I have to keep making sure I don't clothesline myself with it.
post #1610 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Call or email a dealer. Personally I went through https://dreamediaav.com/ because they have free shipping and a youtube channel so very easy to contact with any issues.

Dream Media did an entire comparison video between the 5050 and 6050 with "That home theater guy"

Here is Dream Media video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-OpwDCagDc
Here is ThatHomeTheaterGuy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagojkX52hA&t=2s

They are the same video but each guy shot it with their own camera on a slightly different angle so its cool to check both out.
I would not decide based on this video, the 5050 was clearly out of focus.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #1611 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
I would not decide based on this video, the 5050 was clearly out of focus.
fair enough..... how would you decide between these 2 without seeing them in person?

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #1612 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCUBBYx View Post
My 5050ub arrived today, and so far I'm very pleased. This is an upgrade to my Panasonic AR100U. I originally purchased the Optima UHD60 as the upgrade, and went through 3 of them, all with their very own defects. Also found out both my wife and I are sensitive to rainbows. So, a grand more and the 5050 was the pick.

One thing I'm not understanding is the 4k enhancement. The selection in the menu is greyed out no matter what I put through it. I'm currently using a Xbox One X for the majority of everything. I'm using a high end fiber HDMI cable (HDMI Fiber Cable RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR 20 feet), and going directly from the Xbox to the projector. Those of you who know the Xbox system, all of the green checkmarks are there in the 4k details menu (minus Dolby). This cable was purchased after I figured out none of my other HDMI would pass 4k HDR with the Optima, and worked perfectly.

Is there a combination of things I need to set within the projector before the 4k enhancement is available?

4k Enhancement, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, and Frame Interpolation are greyed out, and out the box it is set at Image Preset Mode 3.

I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a Google search and nothing really came up. Thanks!
I think I might have answered my own question...looked through the 5040 thread...

If you are sending the projector 4k content, the 4k enhancement selection is greyed out. If you send 1080 or less, the the 4k enhancement can be selected to upscale the image. In other words, the Xbox is doing the upscaling so the projector does not need to. Correct?
post #1613 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I think I might have answered my own question...looked through the 5040 thread...

If you are sending the projector 4k content, the 4k enhancement selection is greyed out. If you send 1080 or less, the the 4k enhancement can be selected to upscale the image. In other words, the Xbox is doing the upscaling so the projector does not need to. Correct?
Never mind. I set the xbox to output 1080. 4k Enhancement, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, and Frame Interpolation are all still greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?
post #1614 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I had a 5050 in my theater for about a month and I have now had the 6050 for about a month. Previous that I had two Epson 5040 s for the last 18 months both died due to power supply issues. I do feel that the image on the 6050 is a little sharper and has better contrast than the 5050 which provides I feel a little better Shadow details and slightly better spectral highlights. Epson really took care of me I did not pay for an upgrade to either of the two most recent projectors to grace my home theater. So I don't feel like I am trying to justify any money cuz I didn't spend any LOL. Even my wife noticed a huge difference between the 5040 and the 5050 and she said with the 6050 there are fine details in actors faces and set pieces that were not present with the 5050. I agree with that assessment. I am really Blown Away by the picture I get from the 6050 I have used Alaric settings so far and will probably try the ones from above as well. I will probably have this professionally calibrated as I did with my 5040 by Jeff Meier of Accucal AV.
Glad to hear you and yours can see the difference between the 2 models. I haven't seen the 5050 only have the 6050 and it's quite a step up from the previous 5040 model (TW9300 in oz)

So the white model in the US is the 5050? and that's wireless? (TW9400W in oz)
And the black model is the 6050 with the better lens? not wireless? (TW9400 in oz)

What I'm getting out of this projector puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up. And this is coming from a JVC owner who's had every model since the first one!

The HDR handling, the black levels, the ease of use, the brightness and the optics are sublime for a PJ under 10K. The remote and it's layout near perfect too. Optics only bested by the benq LK models, but they're not cinema projectors and cost 400% more.

This whole design by Epson just works. When everyone else was concentrating on the amount of pixels - one of the least important aspects, especially when those 4k images are shooting thru a sub 4k quality lens array (you no longer have a 4k projector if you don't have 4k visible pixels on screen, blurring and turning them to mush isn't an option, a 1080p projector with a good lens will always look better than a 4k projector with a bad lens imho) - Epson thinks ahead of the game by greatly improving what is already a tried and tested design. They must be laughing up their sleeves right about now.

Here's some GOT 1080p material on a 130 169 screen taken with crappy old phone camera. oh and not calibrated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shots epson.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	2575902  
post #1615 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Never mind. I set the xbox to output 1080. 4k Enhancement, Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction, and Frame Interpolation are all still greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?
In that case your receiver might be doing the upscaling if you have one of those in the path.

You are correct that all those options are only available when feeding the projector a signal below 4K (ie, 1080p). It does not support FI in 4K and 4K enhancement is always enabled with a 4K source. For lower resolution signals you can decide if you want it to upscale or not.

Rob
PT-AE8000U | LG 55C7P | Oppo UDP-203 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | JBL 5.1
post #1616 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl2 View Post
In that case your receiver might be doing the upscaling if you have one of those in the path.

You are correct that all those options are only available when feeding the projector a signal below 4K (ie, 1080p). It does not support FI in 4K and 4K enhancement is always enabled with a 4K source. For lower resolution signals you can decide if you want it to upscale or not.
Thanks for the response! I am going straight from the xbox to the projector. Nothing in the middle to muck things up. I do not currently have an AVR that can pass 4k, so I'm going HDMI to the projector, and optical to the receiver. So, it's still a mystery as to why I do not get the option when setting the xbox to output in 1080.

Also, why are the noise reduction selections greyed out. Is this also not available when passing 4k?
post #1617 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
fair enough..... how would you decide between these 2 without seeing them in person?
Well, the video could have been of great help if both projectors were at their best performance level, but with 1 of them being out of focus, the point of the comparison is lost and therefore useless to those of us who can't compare them in person.

post #1618 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Thanks for the response! I am going straight from the xbox to the projector. Nothing in the middle to muck things up. I do not currently have an AVR that can pass 4k, so I'm going HDMI to the projector, and optical to the receiver. So, it's still a mystery as to why I do not get the option when setting the xbox to output in 1080.

Also, why are the noise reduction selections greyed out. Is this also not available when passing 4k?
Do info, projector info and that will tell you what the projector is seeing as a signal. If it's a 1080p resolution then FI will be available, though if you have fw 1.0 then you can FI or 4k on the pj not both, 1.01 allows both!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
misterg51 likes this.

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #1619 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
Well, the video could have been of great help if both projectors were at their best performance level, but with 1 of them being out of focus, the point of the comparison is lost and therefore useless to those of us who can't compare them in person.
I'm not saying that it isn't blurry or out of focus and I'm not saying that it is out of focus but one of those guys in that video is a professional installer and the other guy makes home theater specific you tube videos so my belief is that they made sure it was in focus.

I dont have an Opportunity to demo the 6050 in person. So despite how good YouTube videos may or may not be or how reliable AVS forum posters are with their reviews I had to make a decision based on that information. I'm sure there will be more comparison videos out in the future if you're willing to wait. At the end of the day the only way to know for sure is to have the projector in your Room with your screen in your lighting conditions and determine if it's satisfactory or not.

post #1620 of 2433 Old 06-04-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not saying that it isn't blurry or out of focus and I'm not saying that it is out of focus but one of those guys in that video is a professional installer and the other guy makes home theater specific you tube videos so my belief is that they made sure it was in focus.

I don't have an Opportunity to demo the 6050 in person. So despite how good YouTube videos may or may not be or how reliable AVS forum posters are with their reviews I had to make a decision based on that information. I'm sure there will be more comparison videos out in the future if you're willing to wait. At the end of the day the only way to know for sure is to have the projector in your Room with your screen in your lighting conditions and determine if it's satisfactory or not.
First, I think you should take the time to read some of the comments from many viewers on youtube about the comparison before you comment any further.

Second, any decision that you made based on a video where one of the projectors is not properly set up is a gamble, but me my guest, your money, not mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page