THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1199Likes

post #1861 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I would be more concerned that your installer doesn't know the difference between HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 nor do they seem to be providing you with the service for which they are being paid. They should know your equipment and should easily be able to explain why they are making the recommendations and installations for which you are paying. Here is an article to explain 4K specifications .

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feat...mi-20-hevc-uhd

Epson 5050

They messed up and don't have long enough HDMI 4k cable as they need to wire a 2nd HDMI cable to the back of the projector. They are also saying our DirecTV will not be enhanced w/ a 4k cable since it's not 4k TV but I thought I read from Epson and another dealer that said the picture will be better even when not watching 4k TV w/ the new Epson 5050. Is this not true? I'm sure it's very minor since it's not 4k but the picture should be even better?

What are your thoughts on the HDCP 2.2 being hooked straight to Apple TV vs Xbox vs straight to the receiver? What is the norm or best thing to hook up the Epson 2.2 port to?

Thanks again
Honestly I would be asking for a significant discount for my money back for the installation both of the ports on the Epson 5050 are HDMI 2.0 an hdcp 2.2 compliant. Both HDMI ports are identical and support 18 gigabits per second. DirecTV does offer some 4K programming but you would have to have their 4K box if your DirecTV box is just 1080p then it sends a 1080p signal to your receiver. The projector can then upscale that 1080p signal to 4K. Some people prefer not upscaling 1080p which you can choose in the projector not to upscale 1080p but honestly all these questions and the answers should easily be understood by your installer which I believe you said it's Best Buy. I would be telling them to send me out somebody at this point who knows what they're doing because it's pretty obvious at this point that whoever is in your house does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Honest I hope that you are kidding unless you have a shelf installed on your ceiling how would you install the projector right side up since the mounting holes for the projector are only on one side. Please tell me you are trolling please tell me you are joking. Just curious as to why you are mounting it's so far back if you only have a hundred 15 inch screen if possible it makes more sense to mount it closer so you're getting more lumens on the screen the further back the projector is mounted you lose brightness.
Not trolling We have a soffit w/ a box cut out shelf where the projector sits on that shelf next to the ceiling. Our old Epson 6030 had no issues w/ picture quality sitting that far back. I'm sure it could be a little better mounting it on the ceiling and moving it up 5-10 feet but aesthetically for the room it's in it looks much better in our crown moulded soffit ceiling shelf that was built for the projector.

If you have a HDMI cable that needs to be 18 feet run from the projector to the receiver would use use the HDMI 4k cable or use an ethernet cable to a converter?
post #1863 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I would be more concerned that your installer doesn't know the difference between HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 nor do they seem to be providing you with the service for which they are being paid. They should know your equipment and should easily be able to explain why they are making the recommendations and installations for which you are paying. Here is an article to explain 4K specifications .

Epson 5050

They messed up and don't have long enough HDMI 4k cable as they need to wire a 2nd HDMI cable to the back of the projector. They are also saying our DirecTV will not be enhanced w/ a 4k cable since it's not 4k TV but I thought I read from Epson and another dealer that said the picture will be better even when not watching 4k TV w/ the new Epson 5050. Is this not true? I'm sure it's very minor since it's not 4k but the picture should be even better?

What are your thoughts on the HDCP 2.2 being hooked straight to Apple TV vs Xbox vs straight to the receiver? What is the norm or best thing to hook up the Epson 2.2 port to?

Thanks again
Honestly if you have an AV receiver all of your sources meaning the Apple TV, your Xbox, any Blu-ray player, your DirecTV box and anything else should be going to your AV receiver and then just your one HDMI connection from your HDMI out on your AV receiver to the HDMI port on your Epson 5050. I can't believe you're having a professional do this installation and you're coming here to ask these questions. This is not disrespectful to you I just can't believe a professional is in your house and doesn't know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Epson 5050

Thanks again
Honestly if you have an AV receiver all of your sources meaning the Apple TV, your Xbox, any Blu-ray player, your DirecTV box and anything else should be going to your AV receiver and then just your one HDMI connection from your HDMI out on your AV receiver to the HDMI port on your Epson 5050. I can't believe you're having a professional do this installation and you're coming here to ask these questions. This is not disrespectful to you I just can't believe a professional is in your house and doesn't know what to do.
The only explanation that makes any sense as to why you're trying to bypass your AV receiver is that your AV receiver is not 4K capable and hdcp 2.2 compliant. In that case they should have at least explain to you what the options are and they should have already been prepared for that because they should have known what your equipment was before they came out to do the installation that is the first question anybody should ask and they should have you fill out a questionnaire describing all of your equipment so they are prepared well in advance. If they made a mistake by not having the HDMI cables they need they should be going back to the store and getting what they need honestly it should already be on their truck. It certainly does not sound like you have a qualified installer in your home right now.
post #1865 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Honest I hope that you are kidding unless you have a shelf installed on your ceiling how would you install the projector right side up since the mounting holes for the projector are only on one side. Please tell me you are trolling please tell me you are joking. Just curious as to why you are mounting it's so far back if you only have a hundred 15 inch screen if possible it makes more sense to mount it closer so you're getting more lumens on the screen the further back the projector is mounted you lose brightness.
Not trolling[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] We have a soffit w/ a box cut out shelf where the projector sits on that shelf next to the ceiling. Our old Epson 6030 had no issues w/ picture quality sitting that far back. I'm sure it could be a little better mounting it on the ceiling and moving it up 5-10 feet but aesthetically for the room it's in it looks much better in our crown moulded soffit ceiling shelf that was built for the projector.

If you have a HDMI cable that needs to be 18 feet run from the projector to the receiver would use use the HDMI 4k cable or use an ethernet cable to a converter?
The smaller the number of components like a converter the better in your chain between your receiver and your projector to avoid any handshake issues. It is up to you which way you would like to mount the projector. I personally feel the projector is more secure mounting it to the ceiling with a mount then having it in a shelf. Some people believe a shelf cuts down on the projector noise just make sure the front of the projector is clear since that's where the Heat and fan exhaust.
post #1866 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
We moved from Dallas where everyone knew a lot to an area outside the city where obviously they don't do as many. They are trying to say plugging the main 4k device (Apple TV or XBox/BlueRay) straight to the projector 2.2 port will give us better quality than having it go to the receiver and then 1 cord to the projector. We are buying a new marantz 4k receiver so I can't imagine it makes that much difference. He was also saying after 4 years of doing this the X Box can have issues converting thru the receiver to projectors. Have no idea if that's true or not but now the issue is having an 18 foot HDMI cable coming down to the receiver from the Epson 5050 will we lose quality or should we go with the Ethernet converter or is that not a big deal?

Obviously I'm not an audio/visual guy, we've had an Epson 6030 for 5 years and had it professionally installed by another company so it's certainly frustrating getting 4-5 different options from everyone. I had done my homework prior by calling the best stores in the Dallas area so it's getting confusing.
post #1867 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Not trolling[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] We have a soffit w/ a box cut out shelf where the projector sits on that shelf next to the ceiling. Our old Epson 6030 had no issues w/ picture quality sitting that far back. I'm sure it could be a little better mounting it on the ceiling and moving it up 5-10 feet but aesthetically for the room it's in it looks much better in our crown moulded soffit ceiling shelf that was built for the projector.

18 ft is not a very long run for an HDMI cable. I would not introduce the ethernet cable / converter combination. It seems unnecessary for your installation. Please make sure you check all your sources are working before the gentleman leave as I do not have great confidence in their abilities at this point. They should at the very least know that the Epson 5050 has two identical HDMI ports.
post #1868 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
We moved from Dallas where everyone knew a lot to an area outside the city where obviously they don't do as many. They are trying to say plugging the main 4k device (Apple TV or XBox/BlueRay) straight to the projector 2.2 port will give us better quality than having it go to the receiver and then 1 cord to the projector. We are buying a new marantz 4k receiver so I can't imagine it makes that much difference. He was also saying after 4 years of doing this the X Box can have issues converting thru the receiver to projectors. Have no idea if that's true or not but now the issue is having an 18 foot HDMI cable coming down to the receiver from the Epson 5050 will we lose quality or should we go with the Ethernet converter or is that not a big deal?

Obviously I'm not an audio/visual guy, we've had an Epson 6030 for 5 years and had it professionally installed by another company so it's certainly frustrating getting 4-5 different options from everyone. I had done my homework prior by calling the best stores in the Dallas area so it's getting confusing.
For an 18 foot run from your receiver to your projector you should not lose any quality if you're using a good HDMI cable. I can't speak to the Xbox issue that the installers mentioning. He may have had that happened and blame the Xbox going into the receiver but quite frankly it could have been the HDMI cable causing handshake issues it could be the Xbox the receiver or the display causing handshake issues. I personally think it's easier do you have everything running into your receiver and then one cable running to your projector. It takes out the complexities if any issues arrive if you are only using one HDMI cable. You are paying for the installation their job is to listen to you and to make it work.
post #1869 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
No generic settings compare to a real calibration. If there is one thing that is absolutely confirmed it’s the amount of variation between units. Despite my units contrast issue the amount of sharpness and detail I am now seeing is eye opening it’s such a big difference I will pay him to come back and do my replacement unit since Epson will not set up to the plate on that. $450 for the 5 hours he spent here actually seems like a bargain I can’t recommend it enough.

I will give a more thorough review if there are interested parties.

I would recommend Alaric’s over pjreviews as I found them to be quite unnatural looking. Poor skin tones etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I originally thought this was true for me too, I compared the settings from Projector Reviews with those of Gordon and everything was night and day different, on mine the PR settings in HRD the colour was quite different but it was actually the amount of visible detail was considerable but I have since re-checked the settings and realised I put some in wrong because of the way they put them out on their page and after fixing this the difference is a lot more subtle than first thought. So I retook the photos.

Gordon’s calibrated settings

Projector Reviews settings

Skin Tone is still the biggest difference but all else is quite similar despite the two settings being a world apart.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #1870 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
18 ft is not a very long run for an HDMI cable. I would not introduce the ethernet cable / converter combination. It seems unnecessary for your installation. Please make sure you check all your sources are working before the gentleman leave as I do not have great confidence in their abilities at this point. They should at the very least know that the Epson 5050 has two identical HDMI ports.
Epson's page has #1 port as the 2.2. I don't see where the 2nd HDMI is also 2.2 compatible.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd56380.pdf
post #1871 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Both HDMI ports on the 5050 are identical and support HDCP 2.2. See the 'Terminal Inputs' part of the product page. https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...0/p/V11H930020

Epson HC5050UB | 110" DEA Infinity Edge FF | Marantz NR-1607 | Kodi HTPC | Panasonic DP-UB820 | PS4 Pro
JimK
post #1872 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Epson's page has #1 port as the 2.2. I don't see where the 2nd HDMI is also 2.2 compatible.

I have various contacts at Epson. Senior management and senior product support.They confirmed that that both the ports are identical when the projector was first released in early April. Quite frankly I trust them a lot more than I trust Best Buy LOL.
post #1873 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Quote:

Both HDMI ports on the 5050 are identical and support HDCP 2.2. See the 'Terminal Inputs' part of the product page. https://epson.com/For-Home/Projector...0/p/V11H930020
Real easy way to test it just plug the HDMI cable from the Apple 4K TV into each of the ports and run test
post #1874 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post
Quote:

+1

They are identical. Best Buy worst install. Lol.
--Sclaws likes this.
post #1875 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

So to where should I send my installation and consultation bill lol
post #1876 of 3894 Old 06-14-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
So to where should I send my installation and consultation bill lol
LOL - thanks for the feedback from today.

They were able to use our previous long HDMI cable we had used for our original Epson 6030, evidently it was 4k compatible since Apple 4k TV worked w/ it thankfully so they didn't have to rewire it. The projector looks great at first glance.

It's much quieter than our previous 6030, I had read reviews that it was loud but so far it's whisper quiet which was a pleasant surprise.

What settings are people using? Dynamic, Neutral, Cinema, etc? Trying to get a good feel before I go in and calibrate it.
I'm not sure if it's the new projector or if it's the newer brighter bulb compared to our other projector but it does seem much brighter and crisper. Haven't done 4k yet, just sports and Marvel movie so we will see.

Any other initial setup tips would be great from anyone. Hoping this lasts a while.

Thanks again
post #1877 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 11:10 AM

We've been using the projector for 1 day now. The projector started out being very quiet in several modes. The issue w/ the 4k enhancement on (the whole reason we bought this) is it causes a high pitched humming noise that is very distracting and annoying. If the movie is loud then you can't hear it, but normal noise level or watching TV and you can hear it the whole time.

I turned 4k enhancement off and it goes away but I'm not sure if it affects the picture that much and I know we won't be able to watch 4k w/out it on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to return it and get the Sony if this can't be fixed, hopefully it's an easy fix.

The picture is fantastic so it will be frustrating if we have to return it. I've heard the Sony 4k projector is very good but not as bright.
post #1878 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
We've been using the projector for 1 day now. The projector started out being very quiet in several modes. The issue w/ the 4k enhancement on (the whole reason we bought this) is it causes a high pitched humming noise that is very distracting and annoying. If the movie is loud then you can't hear it, but normal noise level or watching TV and you can hear it the whole time.

I turned 4k enhancement off and it goes away but I'm not sure if it affects the picture that much and I know we won't be able to watch 4k w/out it on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to return it and get the Sony if this can't be fixed, hopefully it's an easy fix.

The picture is fantastic so it will be frustrating if we have to return it. I've heard the Sony 4k projector is very good but not as bright.
It seems that either some machines are noisier than others or some people notice and are annoyed by the whine, no doubt it’s always present when on but on mine you will just about notice it when the scene is quiet and on ECO, as soon as you put the fan on Medium this is louder than the whine from the e-shift.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #1879 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The picture is fantastic so it will be frustrating we have to return it. I've heard the Sony 4k projector is very good not as bright.
I wonder if the Shelf / box you have it in is exacerbating the noise . I'm not going to say it's the world's quietest sound from the projector but honestly if you have a sound system that's up to par you should really only hear the projector in really quiet scenes. It would improve the picture quality by giving you more brightness if you've moved it closer. I believe you have that option and would also I believe take the noise that is causing you the frustration away from your listening position. I know you had stated from an aesthetic standpoint you did not wish to move the projector. Obviously projectors are about trade-offs as it is with everything in life. Most quality projectors are not going to be whisper quiet that is just the reality. I don't really think the Sony is going to be all that much quieter. You would be giving up a tremendous amount of brightness which affects HDR significantly if you were to go with the Sony and the Sony black levels are just not where the Epson projectors are in my opinion either.
post #1880 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The picture is fantastic so it will be frustrating if we have to return it. I've heard the Sony 4k projector is very good not as bright.
Sony's least expensive 4K projector the 295ES, is still going to be considerably more than your 5050 and only throws 1500 lumens.

Epson rates fan noise for the 5050 as a range from 20 decibels in ECO power setting to a max of 31 dB in High Power setting. Both the intake and exhaust vents are on the front of the projector. From a 5 foot distance below and in front of the projector (approximately simulating an 8-foot ceiling mount above and somewhat behind the viewer), Mid and ECO fan noise were barely audible in a quiet room and not perceptible over typical soundtracks. The High setting raised the volume and also the pitch, making it harder to mask and obvious in quiet moments. The High Altitude mode, which Epson recommends above 5,000 feet elevation, adds perhaps 2 to 3 dB to any given setting. If it's required along with the High Power mode, consider options for mounting the projector further away from viewers or isolating it.

Sony 295ES is rated at 26DB in low lamp. You will probably be operating in High lamp. Replacement lamp costs are about $200 more on the Sony 295ES than on the Epson 5050UB. I don't think the Sony is going to address your noise concerns.
post #1881 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Turn Iris to off and run at medium or eco.

Marantz AV7704 Oppo UDP 205 B&K 200.7 S2 Marantz MM7055 M&K S-150THX 7.2.4 w/350 &100 subs Furman IT-REF 15I XBOX-OneX Apple 4K TV Sony PS4 Samsung 4K 65" Epson 5050UB Apple HomePod (4) Harmony Elite Amazon Alexa Xfinity X1 4K Audioquest wire A-Z (there is a difference) Spectracal CalMAN Home Enthusiast X-rite i1 Photo Pro 2
post #1882 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterg51 View Post
Turn Iris to off and run at medium or eco.
You may have a defective bulb unit or projector if it gets worse regardless.

Marantz AV7704 Oppo UDP 205 B&K 200.7 S2 Marantz MM7055 M&K S-150THX 7.2.4 w/350 &100 subs Furman IT-REF 15I XBOX-OneX Apple 4K TV Sony PS4 Samsung 4K 65" Epson 5050UB Apple HomePod (4) Harmony Elite Amazon Alexa Xfinity X1 4K Audioquest wire A-Z (there is a difference) Spectracal CalMAN Home Enthusiast X-rite i1 Photo Pro 2
post #1883 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
The Sony only achieves 91% of P3 when calibrated. Does not have as good of black levels and I believe it doesn’t have lens memory so the only advantage it has is native 4K the next true upgrade from the Epson is the NX-5

My Epson hit 86% of P3 in Natural mode and did 95% of P3 with or calibration in Digital Cinema. If I didn’t have the subpar blacks I would be a happy camper right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #1884 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just received my Epson 6050 projector. Would like to register it with Epson. Could anyone let me know locations of, or methods to access, the serial number of my unit. Thanks, in advance, for any help.
post #1885 of 3894 Old 06-15-2019, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The only thing holding me back buying the 5050 is the lack of [email protected] I wann to buy my Projector in august/september.

Maybe epson will announce a FW update or a 5060 by then with the FI. Hopefully.

Last edited by Dreathlock; 06-15-2019 at 11:58 PM.
post #1886 of 3894 Old 06-16-2019, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmona View Post
I just received my Epson 6050 projector. Would like to register it with Epson. Could anyone let me know locations of, or methods to access, the serial number of my unit. Thanks, in advance, for any help.
There should be a sticker with the serial number on the box. Also on the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_065606_1560682610956.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2580674  
post #1887 of 3894 Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreathlock View Post
The only thing holding me back buying the 5050 is the lack of [email protected] I wann to buy my Projector in august/september.

Maybe epson will announce a FW update or a 5060 by then with the FI. Hopefully.
Look for a projector announcement at Cedia in September 2019. Not going to be a 5060 . Think true 4K and at least double the price with FI on everything but 3D.
post #1888 of 3894 Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Double the price of the 5050 or the 6050?

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #1889 of 3894 Old 06-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
There should be a sticker with the serial number on the box. Also on the projector.
Thank you!
post #1890 of 3894 Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 AM

I have my new Epson 6050 set in Digital Cinema / Eco mode to watch standard blu ray and 4k content as well as streaming.

If I want to watch a 3d blu ray, do I have to provide any special, new menu settings, or will the projector just automatically adjust to a default 3d mode of operation when it detects the 3d input signal?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page