THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 900Likes

post #1891 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmona View Post
I have my new Epson 6050 set in Digital Cinema / Eco mode to watch standard blu ray and 4k content as well as streaming.

If I want to watch a 3d blu ray, do I have to provide any special, new menu settings, or will the projector just automatically adjust to a default 3d mode of operation when it detects the 3d input signal?

Thanks for any help.
should be able to just put the Blu-ray in the player and the Epson will detect the 3D signal being sent to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
should be able to just put the Blu-ray in the player and the Epson will detect the 3D signal being sent to it
Thank you.

Can I assume that the projector will also shift into a higher lamp mode automatically....to display the increased brightness required for 3d viewing?
post #1893 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have my new Epson 6050 set in Digital Cinema / Eco mode to watch standard blu ray and 4k content as well as streaming.

If I want to watch a 3d blu ray, do I have to provide any special, new menu settings, or will the projector just automatically adjust to a default 3d mode of operation when it detects the 3d input signal?

Thanks for any help.
Download the manual from the support pages, it answers most of your questions.

Marantz AV7004 Oppo UDP 205 B&K 200.7 S2 Marantz MM7055 M&K S-150THX 7.2.4 w/350 &100 subs Furman IT-REF 15I XBOX-OneX Apple 4K TV Sony PS4 Samsung 4K 65" Epson 5050UB Apple HomePod (4) Harmony Elite Amazon Alexa Xfinity X1 4K Audioquest wire A-Z (there is a difference) Spectracal CalMAN Home Enthusiast X-rite i1 Photo Pro 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hey guys I have a few questions about Blu-ray players I’m trying to decide which one to get. I have read good things about the ub820 paired with this projector because it’s ability to tone map SDR and also get a bit brighter than traditional players but I’m wondering how that might compare to the newer x800m2?

I have the ub820 now I’m playing with and was also wondering what would technically be better on this projector to view Netflix and Amazon since it has those apps. Would viewing through the player be better than through AppleTV 4K? The ATV displays everything through HDR via the settings but I don’t think it’s adding any enhanced mapping.

Last question regarding the ub820. For watching SDR content which is tone mapped to bt2020 which color mode is best? I’ve read the cinema modes are the only ones with wide color gamut but the brightness is cut in half. Would the ub820 be mapping to colors which can only be seen in these modes or is viewing in Natural going to produce sufficient color depth with the added brightness?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1895 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

Can I assume that the projector will also shift into a higher lamp mode automatically....to display the increased brightness required for 3d viewing?
Source content fed to the Epson will never change your lamp mode, color mode or image enhancements. When it detects HDR it will switch from SDR REC709 to BT2020 but it will not change to your preferred memory setting for viewing HDR or vice versa. So their is some room for improvement in that regard.
post #1896 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Been awhile since I checked in. Just want to say that I’ve been using the Project Reviews settings with jaw dropping results. Loving every minute of this projector (5050ub)!
ckronengold and misterg51 like this.
post #1897 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I tried the Project Review settings as well as Alaric's and I gotta say, Dynamic on High Lamp just looks so much more impressive to me. Watching Blue Planet II on Netflix natural settings vs dynamic, the natural settings look so dull and uninspired. Dynamic seems sharper and more vibrant, and more like a 92" OLED. The other settings reminded me of a 92" edge-lit Samsung or something.

That said with all of these high settings I'll probably get like 2 weeks out of this lamp or something before it explodes, so there's that.
ckronengold likes this.
post #1898 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 889
So you do not like accurate colors. Lucky for you if that makes you happy I wouldn’t invest in a profession calibration you would be disappointed

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #1899 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
So you do not like accurate colors. Lucky for you if that makes you happy I wouldn’t invest in a profession calibration you would be disappointed

Don't think he asked you for your opinion. I also use dynamic but on Eco and prefer it over natural or bright cinema.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #1900 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
Been awhile since I checked in. Just want to say that I’ve been using the Project Reviews settings with jaw dropping results. Loving every minute of this projector (5050ub)!

Same here. Test material review: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/black-hawk-down

Marantz AV7004 Oppo UDP 205 B&K 200.7 S2 Marantz MM7055 M&K S-150THX 7.2.4 w/350 &100 subs Furman IT-REF 15I XBOX-OneX Apple 4K TV Sony PS4 Samsung 4K 65" Epson 5050UB Apple HomePod (4) Harmony Elite Amazon Alexa Xfinity X1 4K Audioquest wire A-Z (there is a difference) Spectracal CalMAN Home Enthusiast X-rite i1 Photo Pro 2
post #1901 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nah, that's fair. Different people like different things. I can see what the appeal would be of the "author's intent" so to speak, I just happen to like more "poppy" video. No harm either way. Plus I like it now, but who knows next week
post #1902 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I've had all my main sets in my home professionally calibrated. I know full well what accurate colors are and do have more than one monitor to use as a reference. Alaric's settings are very good. The Projector Reviews settings, at least with screen and throw distance, in a totally light controlled environment are as good I can expect from an in home calibration.
post #1903 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

I've had all my main sets in my home professionally calibrated. I know full well what accurate colors are and do have more than one monitor to use as a reference. Alaric's settings are very good. The Projector Reviews settings, at least with screen and throw distance, in a totally light controlled environment are as good I can expect from an in home calibration.
Honestly it is a really outrageous statement to state that generic settings for any projector would be as good as you can expect from an in home calibration from a professional.

A professional takes accurate color measurements so that your contrast would be greatly improved which would improve almost all aspects of picture quality: black levels, depth. Shadow details, HDR, specular highlights, etc.

Too many variables for generic settings to be accurate. Room conditions, seating distance, screen material, lamp brightness, out of the box color accuracy, etc.

I am very grateful for those who have taken the time to post their settings. You may even be very happy with those settings but please don't mislead people into thinking those settings could be a suitable alternative to a professional calibration. It is just not a factual statement.

A proper calibration performed by a professional is certainly the most accurate way to obtain the image the director intended the audience to see from the opening act to the last scene.

Please do not take my statement personally. I hope you enjoy your projector for many years to come. Your statement could not go unanswered. Your statement does a great disservice to all the professional calibrators who spend countless hours insuring we view a movie as the director intended.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #1904 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Honestly it is a really outrageous statement to state that generic settings for any projector would be as good as you can expect from an in home calibration from a professional.

A professional takes accurate color measurements so that your contrast would be greatly improved which would improve almost all aspects of picture quality: black levels, depth. Shadow details, HDR, specular highlights, etc.

Too many variables for generic settings to be accurate. Room conditions, seating distance, screen material, lamp brightness, out of the box color accuracy, etc.

I am very grateful for those who have taken the time to post their settings. You may even be very happy with those settings but please don't mislead people into thinking those settings could be a suitable alternative to a professional calibration. It is just not a factual statement.

A proper calibration performed by a professional is certainly the most accurate way to obtain the image the director intended the audience to see from the opening act to the last scene.

Please do not take my statement personally. I hope you enjoy your projector for many years to come. Your statement could not go unanswered. Your statement does a great disservice to all the professional calibrators who spend countless hours insuring we view a movie as the director intended.
Until your bulb ages.

just messing around
post #1905 of 2427 Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadTVNoob View Post
I tried the Project Review settings as well as Alaric's and I gotta say, Dynamic on High Lamp just looks so much more impressive to me. Watching Blue Planet II on Netflix natural settings vs dynamic, the natural settings look so dull and uninspired. Dynamic seems sharper and more vibrant, and more like a 92" OLED. The other settings reminded me of a 92" edge-lit Samsung or something.

That said with all of these high settings I'll probably get like 2 weeks out of this lamp or something before it explodes, so there's that.
The problem is that very few people ever get their equipment calibrated and this includes their regular TV be it a Plasma, LED or OLED of which I myself am guilty of.

I think where we differ though is that I acknowledge that my TV isn't accurate and didn't want to keep watching inaccurate colours in a room I had spent time and money trying to make it as perfect an environment as possible for watching movies.

All I can say is that once your machines are properly calibrated you might not at first be won over by what you see because it's so different to what you are use to but the more you watch the more you notice the extra detail in the differing shades of colours etc that you were missing.

I agree that it isn't cheap and I would love for a pro calibrator to pitch in here regarding how often this process really needs to be done and if it require a from scratch calibration each time the bulb is replaced.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #1906 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadTVNoob View Post

Dynamic will be more vibrant, it's like a demo mode on TVs so when placed next to each other people buy them in shops etc.

Similar to flashy demo modes on cheap stereos, great for getting attention but not particularly accurate and actually very fatiguing over time.

If you watch something like the old DVD Essentials calibration disc it explains a lot of this stuff and has some content comparisons on why you should be aiming for accurate.
At the very least it will help get the brightness / contrast settings to be correct which should be done on any device and can be set with a couple of patterns by eye and that will stop crushing of shadows and highlights!

I went down the meter route years back as I like to be able to do things myself and the cost of a calibration pays for the meter, it does take a fair bit of learning and then time to do a calibration though, so for a lot of people I'd probably recommend the pro route, but it's another option!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #1907 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
All I can say is that once your machines are properly calibrated you might not at first be won over by what you see because it's so different to what you are use to but the more you watch the more you notice the extra detail in the differing shades of colours etc that you were missing.

I agree whole heartily with this. Very well said I appreciate what I’m seeing more and more with every title I watch.

Luminated67 likes this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ

Last edited by CallingMrBenzo; 06-17-2019 at 03:10 AM.
post #1908 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Don't think he asked you for your opinion. I also use dynamic but on Eco and prefer it over natural or bright cinema.
I don't get using the projector on ECO mode, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. On ECO mine looks slightly dark and washed out. It's perfect on High, and I leave it on Dynamic all the time as well. Haven't messed with the settings much past default and am very happy with it. I did try Alaric's and the Projector Review settings but they also looked too dark so I went back to defaults. Would love to get a professional calibration but having a hell of a time finding a qualified calibrator in south Jersey.
post #1909 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Reach out to the above mentioned people. They travel across the county. I had to wait about a month for Chad to come to Virginia from Ohio.

hdtvbychadb.com.

groggrog likes this.

post #1910 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggrog View Post
I don't get using the projector on ECO mode, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. On ECO mine looks slightly dark and washed out. It's perfect on High, and I leave it on Dynamic all the time as well. Haven't messed with the settings much past default and am very happy with it. I did try Alaric's and the Projector Review settings but they also looked too dark so I went back to defaults. Would love to get a professional calibration but having a hell of a time finding a qualified calibrator in south Jersey.
There might be some reasons for this like screen size, the gain of the screen, distance the projector is having to project from etc.

It could simply be the environment you are watching it in, light leaking in no matter how little has an affect on the image as does light reflection coming off light walls and ceiling. In these situations you will require more light.
ckronengold likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #1911 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
There might be some reasons for this like screen size, the gain of the screen, distance the projector is having to project from etc.

It could simply be the environment you are watching it in, light leaking in no matter how little has an affect on the image as does light reflection coming off light walls and ceiling. In these situations you will require more light.
My room actually has a lot of light coming in during the day so I don't watch in that room much during daylight since the screen looks very washed out. At night though it looks as close as I can imagine to a professional theater.
post #1912 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

Quote:
My room actually has a lot of light coming in during the day so I don't watch in that room much during daylight since the screen looks very washed out. At night though it looks as close as I can imagine to a professional theater.

You would be surprised how much light reflects off the walls and ceiling. Unless you have black velvet covering all of those surfaces you most likely have some degree of light reflection onto the screen

The front half of my theater has black sheets lining the walls. It made a huge difference compared to the lightly colored walls I had before but they are still reflective and I can see there is room for improvement.

I went to a fabric store and got some blacks velvet. It’s night and day better than the black sheets however the pricing at a local store is extremely high considering how much material you need. I have ordered 40 years of velvet off amazon and am awaiting delivery $175 versus $50 for like 5 yards at my local fabric store

I don’t know the best method to adhere it but mostly likely will use a staple gun.

post #1913 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:

"As good" is a pretty generic statement in itself. I don't believe I stated "as good". Of course every projector can be tweaked to ring every last ounce of image quality to make it the best it can be. That said, if you have a point of reference sometimes you hit a point of
"good enough" where the outlay in cash does not justify the results.

I've had my sets calibrated by Chad B and Jeff Meier so I am well aware of the results that can be gained. My eyes are trained to the point now were I can see a poorly calibrated image from one that has been. I don't accept an image where my eyes
give even the slightest bit of "that ain't right". If I come to that point over the next few months then I will reconsider spending the cash. As is right now....Good Enough is pretty Damn Good!
post #1914 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You say that but you would be shocked how different black velour covering the walls and ceiling do to an image. If your walls and ceiling aren't a very dark matt paint you will be getting a lot of reflection firing back towards to screen.

post #1915 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Well for me my projector is right above my head only about 3ft to 4ft away and Eco mode work best for me when it comes to the fan noise, there are alot of times where I am only on the PC, which goes through the projector, and it's quiet in the room so the less fan noise the better.
I am using a SeymourAV XD 137" AT screen, for non HDR content I have no problems with brightness, on HDR I just adjust the brightness and have it save as a memory.
For me I like the picture I am getting without making all those changes which seem alot.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #1916 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Lots of talk about calibration, I think before I spent money on a professional calibration, I would have to learn how to clean my glasses on a regular basis...lol

Years ago I bought a calibration DVD that was recommended on here and used it to calibrate my TV, like mentioned previously, it took a awhile to get use to the new picture but it did set everything the way it was supposed to be.

I know professionals can always do better but I think if I can get the picture tweaked to where I’m saying wow, that’s all that matters. It’s amazing how the majority of people think an ok picture is amazing. I can’t even believe the picture my in-laws are willing to watch, I will go over there and they will have there show tuned into an SD channel and I will cringed and they could care less!
ckronengold likes this.
post #1917 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

" The Projector Reviews settings, at least with screen and throw distance, in a totally light controlled environment are as good I can expect from an in home calibration."

Sounds like you are trying to walk back your statement at this point. Thanks for your reply. I am sure if Chad B or Jeff Meier were actually standing in front of you, you would not have made the ridiculous statement you made above.

You definitely said the Projector Review settings were as good as you could expect from an in home calibration. In your reply you stated you could tell using your eyes what a good calibration looks like. To a certain extent a trained eye can detect a bad picture from a better picture. What your eyes cannot do is detect accurate colors and a properly calibrated grayscale. You know this, if you would only admit it.

Most people could care less about color accuracy. They actually prefer an overly bright image that is overly saturated and they don't mind missing out on shadow details and specular highlights. Most people are just trying to impress their friends who are not videophiles. Most people just aren't impressed with color accuracy. They don't appreciate the nuance in the various shading and contrast that can be achieved with a properly calibrated display. Nor do they care to pay the money for something they or their friends won't notice.

Sounds like you are in the middle ground. You have seen a properly calibrated display and can appreciate the difference it can make, but feel you can get close enough on your own by using settings that made someone else's projector achieve a good image. That is kind of like trying to see an answer on another person's test sheet and then using that answer on your test. You may not have gotten the complete answer.

You are using a professional calibrators settings by using Projector Reviews settings, albeit not ones that were meant for your specific projector. I do find that a bit ironic.

Television displays are a little different when swapping in generic settings, as their is much more uniformity from one display to another. I would say in the case of television displays you are more likely to be able to use generic settings and get closer to accurate color production. Still not the same as calibration for your individual display but closer than you can achieve by doing the same thing with a projector. Just way too many variables with a projector.

Really all that matters is your own satisfaction and it sounds like you are satisfied . I stand by my statement that settings designed for another projector are no substitute for a proper calibration of a projector. Most people do not have the equipment, skill and expertise to achieve the results a professional calibrator can.
post #1918 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
You say that but you would be shocked how different black velour covering the walls and ceiling do to an image. If your walls and ceiling aren't a very dark matt paint you will be getting a lot of reflection firing back towards to screen.
Dark matte paint is no substitute for triple black velvet. Light reflection from the ceiling, side walls and the floor significantly degrades every aspect of picture quality. Best upgrade I ever made was covering my walls and ceiling in black velvet.
post #1919 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenoran View Post
Hey guys I have a few questions about Blu-ray players I’m trying to decide which one to get. I have read good things about the ub820 paired with this projector because it’s ability to tone map SDR and also get a bit brighter than traditional players but I’m wondering how that might compare to the newer x800m2?
I've been spending some time lurking in the BluRay Player forums. There's even a "help me pick a player" thread. You should definitely head over there. Lots of people in the UB820 vs x800m2 camp (like me, plus the LX500 as well). Everyone has that "one thing" they need and that seems to be holding them back from pulling the trigger (just like here).

check it out: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #1920 of 2427 Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
" The Projector Reviews settings, at least with screen and throw distance, in a totally light controlled environment are as good I can expect from an in home calibration."

Sounds like you are trying to walk back your statement at this point. Thanks for your reply. I am sure if Chad B or Jeff Meier were actually standing in front of you, you would not have made the ridiculous statement you made above.

You definitely said the Projector Review settings were as good as you could expect from an in home calibration. In your reply you stated you could tell using your eyes what a good calibration looks like. To a certain extent a trained eye can detect a bad picture from a better picture. What your eyes cannot do is detect accurate colors and a properly calibrated grayscale. You know this, if you would only admit it.

Most people could care less about color accuracy. They actually prefer an overly bright image that is overly saturated and they don't mind missing out on shadow details and specular highlights. Most people are just trying to impress their friends who are not videophiles. Most people just aren't impressed with color accuracy. They don't appreciate the nuance in the various shading and contrast that can be achieved with a properly calibrated display. Nor do they care to pay the money for something they or their friends won't notice.

Sounds like you are in the middle ground. You have seen a properly calibrated display and can appreciate the difference it can make, but feel you can get close enough on your own by using settings that made someone else's projector achieve a good image. That is kind of like trying to see an answer on another person's test sheet and then using that answer on your test. You may not have gotten the complete answer.

You are using a professional calibrators settings by using Projector Reviews settings, albeit not ones that were meant for your specific projector. I do find that a bit ironic.

Television displays are a little different when swapping in generic settings, as their is much more uniformity from one display to another. I would say in the case of television displays you are more likely to be able to use generic settings and get closer to accurate color production. Still not the same as calibration for your individual display but closer than you can achieve by doing the same thing with a projector. Just way too many variables with a projector.

Really all that matters is your own satisfaction and it sounds like you are satisfied . I stand by my statement that settings designed for another projector are no substitute for a proper calibration of a projector. Most people do not have the equipment, skill and expertise to achieve the results a professional calibrator can.

The one thing that bugs me about the projector central setting is that he says the projector was sent out for calibration.

How do you calibrate anything for use in your room if it’s not done in your room on your screen with your conditions ?!?!?

Alaric and Luminated67 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page