THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 905Likes

post #1921 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
" The Projector Reviews settings, at least with screen and throw distance, in a totally light controlled environment are as good I can expect from an in home calibration."

Sounds like you are trying to walk back your statement at this point. Thanks for your reply. I am sure if Chad B or Jeff Meier were actually standing in front of you, you would not have made the ridiculous statement you made above.

You definitely said the Projector Review settings were as good as you could expect from an in home calibration. In your reply you stated you could tell using your eyes what a good calibration looks like. To a certain extent a trained eye can detect a bad picture from a better picture. What your eyes cannot do is detect accurate colors and a properly calibrated grayscale. You know this, if you would only admit it.

Most people could care less about color accuracy. They actually prefer an overly bright image that is overly saturated and they don't mind missing out on shadow details and specular highlights. Most people are just trying to impress their friends who are not videophiles. Most people just aren't impressed with color accuracy. They don't appreciate the nuance in the various shading and contrast that can be achieved with a properly calibrated display. Nor do they care to pay the money for something they or their friends won't notice.

Sounds like you are in the middle ground. You have seen a properly calibrated display and can appreciate the difference it can make, but feel you can get close enough on your own by using settings that made someone else's projector achieve a good image. That is kind of like trying to see an answer on another person's test sheet and then using that answer on your test. You may not have gotten the complete answer.

You are using a professional calibrators settings by using Projector Reviews settings, albeit not ones that were meant for your specific projector. I do find that a bit ironic.

Television displays are a little different when swapping in generic settings, as their is much more uniformity from one display to another. I would say in the case of television displays you are more likely to be able to use generic settings and get closer to accurate color production. Still not the same as calibration for your individual display but closer than you can achieve by doing the same thing with a projector. Just way too many variables with a projector.

Really all that matters is your own satisfaction and it sounds like you are satisfied . I stand by my statement that settings designed for another projector are no substitute for a proper calibration of a projector. Most people do not have the equipment, skill and expertise to achieve the results a professional calibrator can.
I'm not trying to walk back anything. If clarification needed, then so be it. It is as good as I could hope to expect short of a calibration that may bring incremental changes from where I'm at now. Any changes would be just that. Incremental.

I have never had published settings come close...take that back..I have with an OLED. If you came into my theater and I told you the projector was calibrated you would not have thought otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Quote:
" The Projector Reviews settings, at least with screen and throw distance, in a totally light controlled environment are as good I can expect from an in home calibration."

Sounds like you are trying to walk back your statement at this point. Thanks for your reply. I am sure if Chad B or Jeff Meier were actually standing in front of you, you would not have made the ridiculous statement you made above.

You definitely said the Projector Review settings were as good as you could expect from an in home calibration. In your reply you stated you could tell using your eyes what a good calibration looks like. To a certain extent a trained eye can detect a bad picture from a better picture. What your eyes cannot do is detect accurate colors and a properly calibrated grayscale. You know this, if you would only admit it.

Most people could care less about color accuracy. They actually prefer an overly bright image that is overly saturated and they don't mind missing out on shadow details and specular highlights. Most people are just trying to impress their friends who are not videophiles. Most people just aren't impressed with color accuracy. They don't appreciate the nuance in the various shading and contrast that can be achieved with a properly calibrated display. Nor do they care to pay the money for something they or their friends won't notice.

Sounds like you are in the middle ground. You have seen a properly calibrated display and can appreciate the difference it can make, but feel you can get close enough on your own by using settings that made someone else's projector achieve a good image. That is kind of like trying to see an answer on another person's test sheet and then using that answer on your test. You may not have gotten the complete answer.

You are using a professional calibrators settings by using Projector Reviews settings, albeit not ones that were meant for your specific projector. I do find that a bit ironic.

Television displays are a little different when swapping in generic settings, as their is much more uniformity from one display to another. I would say in the case of television displays you are more likely to be able to use generic settings and get closer to accurate color production. Still not the same as calibration for your individual display but closer than you can achieve by doing the same thing with a projector. Just way too many variables with a projector.

Really all that matters is your own satisfaction and it sounds like you are satisfied . I stand by my statement that settings designed for another projector are no substitute for a proper calibration of a projector. Most people do not have the equipment, skill and expertise to achieve the results a professional calibrator can.

The one thing that bugs me about the projector central setting is that he says the projector was sent out for calibration.

How do you calibrate anything for use in your room if it’s not done in your room on your screen with your conditions ?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have spoken to some people in the business and the only way they state that it would be acceptable is if you were using the same screen in almost identical room conditions i.e. seating distance throw distance ambient lighting etc. Then sending out the projector for calibration could achieve a color accurate display that throws an amazing image.

Seymour AV has worked with JVC on the new true 4k projectors where if you buy a Seymour screen and a JVC 4K projector from Seymour they will calibrate the projector. Seems like JVC and Seymour would not do this if the achieved results were not fantastic.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #1923 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
Quote:

I'm not trying to walk back anything. If clarification needed, then so be it. It is as good as I could hope to expect short of a calibration that may bring incremental changes from where I'm at now. Any changes would be just that. Incremental.

I have never had published settings come close...take that back..I have with an OLED. If you came into my theater and I told you the projector was calibrated you would not have thought otherwise.
"I am not trying to walk back anything ."

Next sentence. " If clarification needed, then so be it. " I see you walking.

"I have never had published settings come close..." And all the way back. LOL.

I may have been a prosecutor in a another lifetime. LOL. I find an own man's words will often lead him to the truth far better than mine.

All in good fun😁😉😄😄👍.

I am pretty sure just admitted you have never had any published settings achieve the same results that a professional calibration does. It is just no longer worth it to you to achieve that level of accuracy. That I can understand. You can tell the subtle differences between a $100 bottle of wine and a really good $15 bottle of wine. You are just as satisfied with the $15 bottle, knowing it leaves you with more crackers and cheese with which to enjoy the wine. I get it. Trust me I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I say if the guy is happy with his calibration, enjoy my friend, the more time you spend on the forum the less time you have to enjoy your projector. Any opinion expressed on this or any other forum about anything will be rebutted, no matter what it is, too much time on our hands, like me right now.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #1925 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Dark matte paint is no substitute for triple black velvet. Light reflection from the ceiling, side walls and the floor significantly degrades every aspect of picture quality. Best upgrade I ever made was covering my walls and ceiling in black velvet.
Since my projector room doubles as my family room, covering the walls in black velvet won't fly. I'm pretty happy with the picture during nighttime viewing.
post #1926 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
Quote:
Honestly it is a really outrageous statement to state that generic settings for any projector would be as good as you can expect from an in home calibration from a professional.

A professional takes accurate color measurements so that your contrast would be greatly improved which would improve almost all aspects of picture quality: black levels, depth. Shadow details, HDR, specular highlights, etc.

Too many variables for generic settings to be accurate. Room conditions, seating distance, screen material, lamp brightness, out of the box color accuracy, etc.

I am very grateful for those who have taken the time to post their settings. You may even be very happy with those settings but please don't mislead people into thinking those settings could be a suitable alternative to a professional calibration. It is just not a factual statement.

A proper calibration performed by a professional is certainly the most accurate way to obtain the image the director intended the audience to see from the opening act to the last scene.

Please do not take my statement personally. I hope you enjoy your projector for many years to come. Your statement could not go unanswered. Your statement does a great disservice to all the professional calibrators who spend countless hours insuring we view a movie as the director intended.
Until your bulb ages. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]

just messing around
That is true but speaking with some professional display calibrators they have stated that after the lamp replacement once the bulb has a couple hundred hours on it should be close to the image achieved with the initial calibration.

Will it be exact? No but it should be close enough that you would need tools to measure the differences. Because the projector stayed the same and the projector was the most important variable that was calibrated. The only time that would be different is it there was a significant measurable difference in brightness between the two lamps.

Since there are way less deviations from the median in the internal components of a lamp, as compared to the internal components of a projector, by getting the projector calibrated you have controlled the most crucial variable.
post #1927 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUman View Post
We've been using the projector for 1 day now. The projector started out being very quiet in several modes. The issue w/ the 4k enhancement on (the whole reason we bought this) is it causes a high pitched humming noise that is very distracting and annoying. If the movie is loud then you can't hear it, but normal noise level or watching TV and you can hear it the whole time.

I turned 4k enhancement off and it goes away but I'm not sure if it affects the picture that much and I know we won't be able to watch 4k w/out it on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to return it and get the Sony if this can't be fixed, hopefully it's an easy fix.

The picture is fantastic so it will be frustrating if we have to return it. I've heard the Sony 4k projector is very good but not as bright.
You might be experiencing noise with the pixel shifting mechanism. Some previous generation JVC owners experienced this and called it "e-shift buzz". They describe it as sounding like an electric razor type buzz. If you are shelf mounted there is a small chance that rubber isolators may help. A unit exchange may cure it as well. I've owned and seen several e-shift JVC's and never heard one with the problem, so it's likely that Epson has unit to unit variance here as well. Otherwise a native 4K panel will obvious not be shifting anything (thus no noise), though as others have stated you may want to consider something other than Sony here.

post #1928 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggrog View Post
Quote:
Dark matte paint is no substitute for triple black velvet. Light reflection from the ceiling, side walls and the floor significantly degrades every aspect of picture quality. Best upgrade I ever made was covering my walls and ceiling in black velvet.
Since my projector room doubles as my family room, covering the walls in black velvet won't fly. I'm pretty happy with the picture during nighttime viewing.
This hobby is all about tradeoffs and compromises. I have made plenty of them in my theater. I am glad you are enjoying the 5050. It throws an amazing picture.
post #1929 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Quote:
We've been using the projector for 1 day now. The projector started out being very quiet in several modes. The issue w/ the 4k enhancement on (the whole reason we bought this) is it causes a high pitched humming noise that is very distracting and annoying. If the movie is loud then you can't hear it, but normal noise level or watching TV and you can hear it the whole time.

I turned 4k enhancement off and it goes away but I'm not sure if it affects the picture that much and I know we won't be able to watch 4k w/out it on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm going to return it and get the Sony if this can't be fixed, hopefully it's an easy fix.

The picture is fantastic so it will be frustrating if we have to return it. I've heard the Sony 4k projector is very good but not as bright.
You might be experiencing noise with the pixel shifting mechanism. Some previous generation JVC owners experienced this and called it "e-shift buzz". They describe it as sounding like an electric razor type buzz. If you are shelf mounted there is a small chance that rubber isolators may help. A unit exchange may cure it as well. I've owned and seen several e-shift JVC's and never heard one with the problem, so it's likely that Epson has unit to unit variance here as well. Otherwise a native 4K panel will obvious not be shifting anything (thus no noise), though as others have stated you may want to consider something other than Sony here.
+1

I would try a rubber pad lining the bottom of the shelf to tamp down the sound. I would find a local store to demo a JVC NX5 before switching to Sony IMHO.
post #1930 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Not every user is a "videophile"...but I get it...while not a videophile, I am an anal audiophile. There are many " living area with some ambient light" users just like me that just want to turn on a disc, cable, or streaming content and watch without ever touching anything other than the power and source buttons. I'm a "heavy user" typically running the PJ 4-5 hours per evening, 90%+ cable television. Aside from just not wanting to mess with settings and calibrations, professional calibrations just don't make any sense for me and my use. Considering channel/station signal variances, content quality, and ESPECIALLY, (as previously mentioned) bulb decay, professional calibration would be pursuit of a moving target with known and expected diminishing return for me any many others. Luckily for folks like myself, Cable source material, PJ technology, brightness, and picture quality have come along way since my first PJ 18 years ago. Today's light cannons with better and better factory calibrations make for an incredible out-of-the-box home theater experience in "non bat cave" living area HTs with some ambient light as compared to just a couple of years ago. I think it's great that some here are extracting every last ounce of contrast and color accuracy from their PJs. I also understand what an obsession in can become... one has to wonder how much the high testosterone calibration and room treatment posts and banter leaves folks in the PJ market thinking perhaps this PJ needs professional calibration and isn't what they're looking for?
Viche likes this.
post #1931 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 905
THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

I think it’s great to hears everybody’s opinion on the topic of calibration! Theres such a diverse audience of users and intended uses for this unit !

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #1932 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I originally thought this was true for me too, I compared the settings from Projector Reviews with those of Gordon and everything was night and day different, on mine the PR settings in HRD the colour was quite different but it was actually the amount of visible detail was considerable but I have since re-checked the settings and realised I put some in wrong because of the way they put them out on their page and after fixing this the difference is a lot more subtle than first thought. So I retook the photos.

Gordon’s calibrated settings

Projector Reviews settings

Skin Tone is still the biggest difference but all else is quite similar despite the two settings being a world apart.
Quote:
"I am not trying to walk back anything ."

Next sentence. " If clarification needed, then so be it. " I see you walking.

"I have never had published settings come close..." And all the way back. LOL.

I may have been a prosecutor in a another lifetime. LOL. I find an own man's words will often lead him to the truth far better than mine.

All in good fun😁😉😄😄👍.

I am pretty sure just admitted you have never had any published settings achieve the same results that a professional calibration does. It is just no longer worth it to you to achieve that level of accuracy. That I can understand. You can tell the subtle differences between a $100 bottle of wine and a really good $15 bottle of wine. You are just as satisfied with the $15 bottle, knowing it leaves you with more crackers and cheese with which to enjoy the wine. I get it. Trust me I get it.

Interesting that it seems like in some cases, users find posted settings not all that much different than their pro calibrated settings.

Last edited by Viche; 06-17-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #1933 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is true but speaking with some professional display calibrators they have stated that after the lamp replacement once the bulb has a couple hundred hours on it should be close to the image achieved with the initial calibration.

Will it be exact? No but it should be close enough that you would need tools to measure the differences. Because the projector stayed the same and the projector was the most important variable that was calibrated. The only time that would be different is it there was a significant measurable difference in brightness between the two lamps.

Since there are way less deviations from the median in the internal components of a lamp, as compared to the internal components of a projector, by getting the projector calibrated you have controlled the most crucial variable.

I'm talking about the life of the bulb though. For the first couple hundred hours you're gonna be off, and then every hour afterwards is a slow road to more offness. To some of us who have a budget, and when published settings are pretty decent, it's just not worth the cost to get a pro calibration.
JonfromCB likes this.
post #1934 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
Not every user is a "videophile"...but I get it...while not a videophile, I am an anal audiophile. There are many " living area with some ambient light" users just like me that just want to turn on a disc, cable, or streaming content and watch without ever touching anything other than the power and source buttons. I'm a "heavy user" typically running the PJ 4-5 hours per evening, 90%+ cable television. Aside from just not wanting to mess with settings and calibrations, professional calibrations just don't make any sense for me and my use. Considering channel/station signal variances, content quality, and ESPECIALLY, (as previously mentioned) bulb decay, professional calibration would be pursuit of a moving target with known and expected diminishing return for me any many others. Luckily for folks like myself, Cable source material, PJ technology, brightness, and picture quality have come along way since my first PJ 18 years ago. Today's light cannons with better and better factory calibrations make for an incredible out-of-the-box home theater experience in "non bat cave" living area HTs with some ambient light as compared to just a couple of years ago. I think it's great that some here are extracting every last ounce of contrast and color accuracy from their PJs. I also understand what an obsession in can become... one has to wonder how much the high testosterone calibration and room treatment posts and banter leaves folks in the PJ market thinking perhaps this PJ needs professional calibration and isn't what they're looking for?
I appreciate that feedback. You are correct that out of the box the Epson 5050ub and 6050 throw an amazing image. I would hate for someone to think that you need a professional calibration to enjoy these projectors because you don't.

90% of people would be amazed with the performance straight out of the box. Another 9% with settings posted in this forum. I was really speaking to the 1% of people buying this projector who are budget videophiles. LOL.

This projector still hits a fantastic price to performance value even for obsessed videophiles. Sorry for the tangent. Everyone should go back to enjoying their projectors. LOL. Especially me.
CallingMrBenzo and JonfromCB like this.
post #1935 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm talking about the life of the bulb though. For the first couple hundred hours you're gonna be off, and then every hour afterwards is a slow road to more offness. To some of us who have a budget, and when published settings are pretty decent, it's just not worth the cost to get a pro calibration.
I definitely hear you on that totally makes sense we all have to spend money where we get our best bang for the buck.
post #1936 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Interesting that it seems like in some cases, users find posted settings not all that much different than their pro calibrated settings.
What settings did you and Illuminate use? The first pic shows a lot more color to me.
post #1937 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What settings did you and Illuminate use? The first pic shows a lot more color to me.

I don't own the projector. The first image is apparently what his calibrator achieved. Second is what is on the Projector Central website. Not sure how much I would trust the photos vs what he said.
post #1938 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
So I finally upgrade my Epson 5010e to the new 5050ub. The picture is absolutely better across the board.

The odd issue I'm having is when using the htpc, i have to underscan the left right fitment to 80% (then zoom the projector in) to get ride of the very little bit of blackspace at the top and bottom of the picture. screen is 16x9 and I've tried every resolution from 1920x1080 to 4k.

I never had this issue with my 5010e, it filled the whole 16x9 screen with nothing special done.

Am I missing something?
post #1939 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does using lens shift on this projector affect the quality of the image? so if i mount the projector off Center? and need to shift image to the right a bit
post #1940 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
Does using lens shift on this projector affect the quality of the image? so if i mount the projector off Center? and need to shift image to the right a bit
No complaints from me using lens shift. It shouldn't affect the image quality. Do what ya gotta do.

Movies: Epson 5050 / Marantz 7010 / OPPO-103
Streaming: nVidia Shield / Roku Ultra / Chromecast Ultra
Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 (LR), Motion 50XT (center), Motion 2 (surrounds)
Server: Ubuntu 18.04, i7-8700 CPU
HTPC: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
post #1941 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

On this single photo they do appear close, apart from the skin tone which I said but the longer you compare both, going back and forth with moving picture you quickly realise there’s no substitute for a professional calibration. Don’t get me wrong if you don’t want to shell out for a proper calibration (let’s face it some do charge quite a bit) these online settings are better than out of the box.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 06-17-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #1942 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
On this single photo they do appear close, apart from the skin tone which I said but the long you compare both you quickly realise there’s no substitute for a professional calibration. Don’t get me wrong if you don’t want to shell out for a proper calibration (let’s face it some do charge quite a bit) these online settings are better than out of the box.

Do you recall what your on/off contrast was when you had yours calibrated. My replacement unit arrived today and will inbox tonight. The only published review I can find of these newer units that discuss / measure contrast is passion home cinema

That had the unit in natural mode at 3600:1 and close to 6k:1 in dynamic.

Again Chad said the lowest of the 5040’s he calibrated was 6,000:1 and saw as high as 8,000:1

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #1943 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Do you recall what your on/off contrast was when you had yours calibrated. My replacement unit arrived today and will inbox tonight. The only published review I can find of these newer units that discuss / measure contrast is passion home cinema

That had the unit in natural mode at 3600:1 and close to 6k:1 in dynamic.

Again Chad said the lowest of the 5040’s he calibrated was 6,000:1 and saw as high as 8,000:1

I can’t recall the exact figure but it was in the 8K mark.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #1944 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, I think you already said that. I need to ask Alaric

post #1945 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

So my new unit arrived and there is a red blob on the right side of the screen. That’s just my luck. I noticed the lens cover was not fully closed when I opened it but didn’t think anything of it until now. I’ve been on hold with Epson with 45 minutes

post #1946 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So my new unit arrived and there is a red blob on the right side of the screen. That’s just my luck. I noticed the lens cover was not fully closed when I opened it but didn’t think anything of it until now. I’ve been on hold with Epson with 45 minutes

Let me know if you need any assistance. PM me.
post #1947 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This would be your third 5050 correct?
post #1948 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'll go ahead and date myself with how long I've been enjoying this hobby. Years ago, when I had a CRT projector, the Electrohome Marquee brand offered an add on system that consisted of a camera and some more electronics that would continuously adjust the convergence of the projector. All CRT projectors convergence drift with time and temperature so this would keep it correct. It makes me wonder what it would cost a manufacturer to have a similar setup for bulb based projectors that would continuously adjust the settings to ensure that the image was accurate as the bulb aged. Granted eventually it would be time for a new bulb, but it would keep things looking good for a little while. With a little work it might even be able to automatically calibrate a known image to the correct spec, up to a point, regardless of the environment.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #1949 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, this would have been.

post #1950 of 2434 Old 06-17-2019, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this would have been.