THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1197Likes

Old 04-12-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by groggrog View Post
Trying the version 1.01 firmware update for the 5050UB now and after all the status lights start flashing it’s supposed to turn off after the update is complete. They’ve been flashing about a half hour now and not stopping so all I can do is pull the plug and hope it’s not bricked. Also, from what I’ve read the lens cover isn’t supposed to open when it’s in update mode, but it’s open. Anybody else try it yet?

Is there a change log re: what 1.0.1 does?

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Not that I've seen...
Old 04-12-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

Maybe adds FI with a true 4K source?!?!?!? One can only hope. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Maybe adds FI with a true 4K source?!?!?!? One can only hope. Lol
I read somewhere that FI could be done with a firmware update on 1080p upscaled to 4K, but not on a true 4K source.

What I'd really like to see first in a firmware update, however, is the ability to automatically switch to an HDR mode when an HDR source is detected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
Old 04-13-2019, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question about bandwidth and color depth.

Just upgraded from an old 1080p Panasonic to the 5050UB. Unfortunately my (in-wall) cable is limited to 10gbps, but I only plan to watch movies/TV so no biggie.

However, my player (Egreat A5) will only output an 8-bit 4K signal to the 5050, so Color Depth is 8-bit 4:4:4. And the player is not letting me choose 10-bit output @4K resolution. Color Format is BT.2020 and it does look like the 5050 is receiving HDR10 metadata.

If I switch the player to 1080p output, the Color Depth on the 5050 goes up to 12-bit 4:4:4, and HDR is still transmitted.

I am wondering, which is the better solution? Native 4K output limited to 8-bit or 2K output at 12-bit, 4K enhancement by the 5050?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
I read somewhere that FI could be done with a firmware update on 1080p upscaled to 4K, but not on a true 4K source.

What I'd really like to see first in a firmware update, however, is the ability to automatically switch to an HDR mode when an HDR source is detected.

And that’s crazy to me because you were able to do that right off the bat with the 5040. Wonder why it would have to be upgraded in order to do it on a almost 3 year newer model.....

I’m also surprised that it doesn’t automatically detect an HDR signal and switch over. Another thing the 5040 did with no problem either. Very odd

Old 04-13-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Finally I was able to mount the projector and get it going, It does seem the HDMI input is less forgiving than the 5040 since I could not make it work with my exsisting ceiling installed cable even though its rated for 2.1 spec. I am thinking of trying out this booster https://www.pixelgendesign.com/products/pxldrive cause I dont want to re run cable. That would be far more expensive.
Now onto first impressions which are very good. It is definately a step up from the 5040. The 5050 is more refined in its functions, a tad sharper and in my opinion brighter. I say this because I have no instruments to measure, however , I can use this projector in normal lamp and cinema bright and it gives me the spectral highlights that I like on 4k HDR blu rays. Animation pops and scenes with sun light or flash lights will make your eyes squint. On normal blu rays however, these setting are way too bright. I settled yesterday witht the family to watch Welcome to Marwin for which I use Cinema at normal lamp. These gave the picture very nice colors and good pop. Since the movie is only available in bluray on SD this setting gave it a very nice picture where you could appreciate very good contrast and black levels.
These are very early impressions but I can say I am very satisfied with my purchase. I wont say I was floored by the picture since overall the improvement to the 5040 are a little above marginal especially in 4k viewing. However, I do agree with what has been said you do get the best of both worlds depending on you preference. If you want a bright picture you can have it and if you want a more balance cinematic picture with accurate colors without a huge loss in brightness it is there as well.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Placed my order today at Magnolia /Best Buy I will pick up the unit on Tuesday. Upgrading from a HC 3700

I'd appreciate your opinion on the upgrade if you don't mind. I'm making this very exchange later this summer.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
What do you have now?

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
And that’s crazy to me because you were able to do that right off the bat with the 5040. Wonder why it would have to be upgraded in order to do it on a almost 3 year newer model.....

I’m also surprised that it doesn’t automatically detect an HDR signal and switch over. Another thing the 5040 did with no problem either. Very odd

1080p upscaled to 4K sent to a 5040 is still seen as a 4K signal and the 5040 won't let you use FI. I'm not sure how they can do a firmware update for the 5050 whereby the 5050 receiving a 4K signal can distinguish it was upscaled to 4K or truly 4K.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pulled the trigger

Upgrading from Epson 5030. Just grabbed a 5050UB from Crutchfield.
Also ordered a ALR screen hoping that will allow me to have a little light on during gaming and sports.

I do have a question.
I have Monoprice certified 18GB HDMI cables.
Any reason to consider the BlueJeans Ethernet HDMIs? Anyone experiment with an Xbox One X for 4K gaming?

Also, I ordered an 120" Elite Starling Tab 5D ALR screen (previous was a 120" 1:1 from Monoprice). Anyone know why the Elite Saker tab is so much more expensive? I can see the different tabs and remotes, but couldn't tell if screen performance was different....

Would love any thoughts!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan View Post
So I saw on the original rumor thread that someone had recommended the Chief Mount RPA357

Thanks, just trying to get everything lined up to get this projector installed....
I have attached a picture of my mount for my 5040. It is a tank. It is from Projector Ceiling Mounts Direct LLC. They have storefronts on Amazon, Walmart, Ebay and some others. The pictures online dont match up to what you will get but trust that they are custom made for each brand and model projector. By far the best and sturdiest mount I have ever owned. Easiest by far to mount and align perfectly with my projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_220154_1555191170908.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	859.9 KB
ID:	2552524  
mdcubsfan likes this.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 04-13-2019 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot a key word
Old 04-13-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan View Post
So I saw on the original rumor thread that someone had recommended the Chief Mount RPA357

Thanks, just trying to get everything lined up to get this projector installed....
I have attached a picture of my mount for my 5040. It is a tank. It is from Projector Ceiling Mounts Direct LLC. They have storefronts on Amazon, Walmart, Ebay and some others. The pictures online dont match up to what you will get but trust that they are custom made for each brand and model projector. By far the best and sturdiest mount I have ever owned. Easiest by far to mount and align perfectly with my projector.
Projector Ceiling Mounts Direct LLC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_215458_1555191368215.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	2552526  
Old 04-13-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneff View Post
Question about bandwidth and color depth.

Just upgraded from an old 1080p Panasonic to the 5050UB. Unfortunately my (in-wall) cable is limited to 10gbps, but I only plan to watch movies/TV so no biggie.

However, my player (Egreat A5) will only output an 8-bit 4K signal to the 5050, so Color Depth is 8-bit 4:4:4. And the player is not letting me choose 10-bit output @4K resolution. Color Format is BT.2020 and it does look like the 5050 is receiving HDR10 metadata.

If I switch the player to 1080p output, the Color Depth on the 5050 goes up to 12-bit 4:4:4, and HDR is still transmitted.

I am wondering, which is the better solution? Native 4K output limited to 8-bit or 2K output at 12-bit, 4K enhancement by the 5050?
This might provide solution for your issue. A tad on the expensive side but the gentleman who started the business are long time Tech geniuses.

https://www.pixelgendesign.com/products/pxldrive
Old 04-13-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Trying the version 1.01 firmware update for the 5050UB now and after all the status lights start flashing it’s supposed to turn off after the update is complete. They’ve been flashing about a half hour now and not stopping so all I can do is pull the plug and hope it’s not bricked. Also, from what I’ve read the lens cover isn’t supposed to open when it’s in update mode, but it’s open. Anybody else try it yet?
Your a brave soldier for updating the software this early. LOL I want to but I still dont know this projector very well to even know what would improve. I am going to give it a week or so while I aclamate to it.

I read about the 4k and hdr switching not happenning automatically. Is that because the source is being upscaled before going to the projector? My 4k player is a samsung and its not doing anything but sending the signal natively and from what I can see on the menus for signal it does display sd or HDR accordingly. What am I missing?
Old 04-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Well I’ve had a hell of a day dealing with the 5050UB in my system. At this point I’m dead in the water with no sources able to HDMI handshake with the device through the Marantz AVR. Using a fiber to optical adapter to transfer the signal between AVR and projector via HDMI, and handshake never completes. Every device is fine if I go direct from it to projector using the fiber to optical adapter, it’s just no good when through the AVR. Tried firmware update on 5050UB but couldn’t get it to take. Seems like it starts trying to install it but then never ends. There’s no display for it so hard to tell if it’s doing anything at all, but I left it going over an hour and it never completed so I’m thinking a firmware update is out of the question, and doubt it’d have anything to do with fixing my problem. Have already replaced the fiber to optical adapter with a fresh one from my vendor but still same problem. Wondering if there’s some weird incompatibility issue between the Marantz and 5050UB.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Well I’ve had a hell of a day dealing with the 5050UB in my system. At this point I’m dead in the water with no sources able to HDMI handshake with the device through the Marantz AVR...

You should probably check in the applicable Marantz AVR thread, but which model do you have? You may have to turn off certain video-related settings in the Marantz.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Well I’ve had a hell of a day dealing with the 5050UB in my system. At this point I’m dead in the water with no sources able to HDMI handshake with the device through the Marantz AVR. Using a fiber to optical adapter to transfer the signal between AVR and projector via HDMI, and handshake never completes. Every device is fine if I go direct from it to projector using the fiber to optical adapter, it’s just no good when through the AVR. Tried firmware update on 5050UB but couldn’t get it to take. Seems like it starts trying to install it but then never ends. There’s no display for it so hard to tell if it’s doing anything at all, but I left it going over an hour and it never completed so I’m thinking a firmware update is out of the question, and doubt it’d have anything to do with fixing my problem. Have already replaced the fiber to optical adapter with a fresh one from my vendor but still same problem. Wondering if there’s some weird incompatibility issue between the Marantz and 5050UB.

Go over to AV Forums and post in that thread. They have had this unit since January. It’s already 100 pages deep and they have much more experience with the unit. Epson 9400 is the model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis_avs View Post
You should probably check in the applicable Marantz AVR thread, but which model do you have? You may have to turn off certain video-related settings in the Marantz.
SR6012, tried every variation of settings, no luck. Interestingly just the Windows PC does work. None of the other sources, even though they’re all plugged into the same AVR with HDMI.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
Go over to AV Forums and post in that thread. They have had this unit since January. It’s already 100 pages deep and they have much more experience with the unit. Epson 9400 is the model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, will look
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
What model Marantz?

Also I'm not sure I understand exactly how you are connecting the AVR to the 5050. Can you be specific to exactly what you are using? Maybe link the products so we can troubleshoot specs for you. I am leaning towards it being your cable set up. My Marantz has HDCP 2.2 protection and if you have the same HDCP 2.2 and you are using the wrong cables you won't get a handshake. You probably already know all this but it's hard to troubleshoot from a key board ya know.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

THE Epson 5050UB/6050UB Thread

Can anyone comment yet on trying a game in 4K HDR? I have the 5040 with a Linker and I’m curious how different or better the 5050 looks without the need for a Linker. One of the things that bothered me with the 5040 and the Linker is the color banding I noticed. Plus, most games just didn’t quite have that pop you would expect an HDR game to have. Would love some thoughts/feedback on the 5050 and HDR games.

Also, I would love to hear if anyone had a chance to try 3D yet and how it compares to the 5040. Brighter, less crosstalk??

Last edited by JewDaddy; 04-14-2019 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I've got a SR6011 and have had very few issues with my 9400.

The firmware update is like most epsons and you need a blank USB drive, Fat/fat32 format, in the root of the drive and no hidden security folder. Takes a few minutes.
The update adds FI with 4k on 1080p sources, so whilst useful I'm not sure it will help your issue.

It's cable and/or Marantz settings. You should be able to see the Marantz screen on the projector without any sources!

I have heard of issues with dual display, so if you are using a TV, try unplugging that.

Info / projector info will tell you what the projector is receiving in terms of the signal with color depth etc

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
Old 04-14-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
I've got a SR6011 and have had very few issues with my 9400.

The firmware update is like most epsons and you need a blank USB drive, Fat/fat32 format, in the root of the drive and no hidden security folder. Takes a few minutes.
The update adds FI with 4k on 1080p sources, so whilst useful I'm not sure it will help your issue.

It's cable and/or Marantz settings. You should be able to see the Marantz screen on the projector without any sources!

I have heard of issues with dual display, so if you are using a TV, try unplugging that.

Info / projector info will tell you what the projector is receiving in terms of the signal with color depth etc

Not sure why but with a blank 8gb USB drive, FAT32, in root, and no hidden security folder, I hold down the power button, plug the power cord in, watch the three lights come on, let go, they flash repeatedly and never stop. Tried with two different USB devices. What am I missing?

I actually do see the Marantz screen without any sources. All great until I plug in a source, then nothing. No dual display, just plugged directly into the ARC port. I suspect a handshake issue with the optical extender device my vendor installed for me so am going to try and exchange it with them today and see what happens. When I plug any of the devices into the extender directly they’re all fine, so something between Marantz-Extender-Projector going on.

Thanks for all the advice...
Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Not sure why but with a blank 8gb USB drive, FAT32, in root, and no hidden security folder, I hold down the power button, plug the power cord in, watch the three lights come on, let go, they flash repeatedly and never stop. Tried with two different USB devices. What am I missing?

I actually do see the Marantz screen without any sources. All great until I plug in a source, then nothing. No dual display, just plugged directly into the ARC port. I suspect a handshake issue with the optical extender device my vendor installed for me so am going to try and exchange it with them today and see what happens. When I plug any of the devices into the extender directly they’re all fine, so something between Marantz-Extender-Projector going on.

Thanks for all the advice...
Silly Q.... You've unzipped the file?

It does sound like a handshake issue. Damn copy protection crud!

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
Old 04-14-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Silly Q.... You've unzipped the file?

It does sound like a handshake issue. Damn copy protection crud!

Yes unzipped it :-)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Yes unzipped it :-)
Guessed as much but it's often obvious things that get missed.
This the 9400 or the 5050.... I know that the EU update works for the 9400, but I'm guessing wouldn't for the 5050.
The way you describe the process the PJ is looking for the update on the drive but doesn't find it!
From what i gather of the process it matches the name of the file to the projectors firmware installed!

Btw in info / Version - what does yours say?
Main : 8Z00956FLWWV101
is mine, the last three digits are the interesting bit as the update is 101 and I'm wondering if you have updated or it was shipped with the latest!

Old 04-14-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Guessed as much but it's often obvious things that get missed.
This the 9400 or the 5050.... I know that the EU update works for the 9400, but I'm guessing wouldn't for the 5050.
The way you describe the process the PJ is looking for the update on the drive but doesn't find it!
From what i gather of the process it matches the name of the file to the projectors firmware installed!

Btw in info / Version - what does yours say?
Main : 8Z00956FLWWV101
is mine, the last three digits are the interesting bit as the update is 101 and I'm wondering if you have updated or it was shipped with the latest!

Not by the projector now but I know it ends with 100.

The update I'm trying to install is from here listed as "PowerLite Home Cinema 5050 UB/5050Ube"
Old 04-14-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Upgrade from 8500ub

Just pulled the trigger also, this is an upgrade from a 8500ub I have loved for many years. I was one of the first 8500ub owners back in the day, so I am looking forward to being impressed again. Best thing the PJ is scheduled to arrive on my Birthday....happy BD to me!
Alaric and CallingMrBenzo like this.

AV since 1980
Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Not by the projector now but I know it ends with 100.

The update I'm trying to install is from here listed as "PowerLite Home Cinema 5050 UB/5050Ube"
All seems fine then. Assuming others have updated the 5050 and the file works i can't think of much else.

Corrupt file download or unzip fault, may be worth a second go but we're into unlikely realms.

Just the .bin file on the root of a blank fat32 drive should do it.

Certainly be interested in how it gets sorted for my FAQ!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5050 , Epson , frame interpolation , motion smoothing